Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Good OP, I would just like to echo that I'd like to see information about Brogue and Sil because they're both comparatively newbie-friendly, but also polished and complete roguelike experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It comes most highly recommended. Actually one of the best roguelikes out there, and certainly the best Angband variant; it just doesn't get much exposure. I can't reccomend any tips in particular that the manual and tutorial doesn't spell out, but treat it like Crawl - fighting is not the only strategy.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Amazing, presumably this was a crowd-sourced attempt to expose what a lovely system this poll uses

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

I started tonight translating Crawl's tiles over to ToMe but....holy gently caress there's a lot of them. There's 41 tiles for orcs alone in ToMe. It's mostly all doable without any new art, since we have the player dolls to work with, but some of the boss characters are going to need a lot of creativity.

I got ToME on Steam the other day, and I'm still disappointed by that awful tileset. Are there any other decent / complete ones? A UI overhaul is needed too, jesus.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks, I installed the grass fix but I can't work out how to enable the new UI?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

These are not good tiles. I hope there's a grid overlay, because I have no idea what squares are being occupied by what in this screenshot.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Crawl does have a wacky flavour, but I think what MrBims is trying to point out that a lot of (bad) *bands just throw wacky poo poo into them without concern for balance, gameplay or rough thematic consistency. PosCheng looks to follow in that noble lineage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It doesn't really matter either way with Crawl, it doesn't have any kind of lore or canon really. The flavour is just a dress-up for a particular gameplay element or idea. Like, Octopodes are absolutely ridiculous but they were created for the purpose of having a new way to play the game, not because Octopodes are part of the rich history of Crawl's universe. I dunno if people are against fun, certainly people like to comment on suggestions if they seem tedious, but it's hard to balance FUN with NOT BROKEN a lot of the time.

It's always hard with an open-source project to get the things you'd like to see in the game. Like right now it really gets on my nerves that the branch weightings are skewed - you get sewer_kobolds over 20% of the time, but the developers are either not interested or like the branch weightings to be spread like 40 30 20 10 instead of 30 30 30 10. I can't understand why, but I wish all this cool content was reviewed so we'd see more variation in places.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 28, 2014