Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just some information for those new to Necrodancer. You do not, in fact, have to do "Story mode" to progress the story. You can, are probably expected to, do them zone by zone. That way you can gather gems to unlock the various stuff in the lobby while you're at it.

Why they named that gimmicky run in the character creator room "Story Mode" I will never understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For anyone doing the Necrodancer daily challenge today, pick up the scroll of transmutation on floor 1. There is a Ring of Becoming in the shop on floor 2.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sheeeeesh, Aria's final boss in Necrodancer is hard as balls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Roluth posted:

How exactly did you get past even Zone 4 in the first place? Aria demands almost ludicrous precision and situational awareness.

It took a LOT of tries. Tried to not spend more time than I had to on each floor, and brought a scroll of freezing to the boss fight.

Zones 3 through 1 are much easier in comparison.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finished the final boss in Necrodancer with Aria earlier. Holy poo poo that was tense, especially since one wrong step will immediately kill you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

netcat posted:

Yeah I always try to get those when I can. Also, what's the difference between long sword and spear? Spear generally seems like the better weapon since it can be thrown also but long sword still costs 10 more in shops.

Longsword hits both the tile next to you, and the one two tiles away, spear only hits the first enemy it comes in contact with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bows are my favourite. Having one more range than spears might not seem like much on paper, but the difference is immense.
If you find an obsidian bow, you're basically set for that run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Angry Diplomat posted:

Bows and crossbows are great but my favourite ranged weapons, and also favourite weapons overall, are the musket and blunderbuss. They're not the weapons I'm best with by any means, but they're powerful and fun as hell. Dancing around with a shotgun like some sort of musical Doomguy is amazing, and obliterating Coral Riff on turn 2 of his boss fight is never not the funniest thing ever.

They're fun, but also rare as hell. You're lucky if you see either of them in 1/20 runs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RoboCicero posted:

Now I have to finish the game with Aria. Or heck, finish one area with Aria. It's not necessarily that I die in one hit (though I've died plenty from that), it's that I know that I'm going to drift off-beat and instantly die halfway through a run.
If you can finish the first zone as Aria, you can finish the rest of them. It's by far the hardest part of her run except for the final boss.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Path of Exile is amazing, and more replayable than the competition by an order of magnitude.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's inconvenient and offers no benefits, except possibly at the level of the game-wide economy which i don't really care about in a diablo clone as long as cool items are rare enough to be exciting, but still attainable.

Too much convenience is the death of games. In PoE there's a nice balance where you'll start out bringing back as much as you can carry to get a foot in the door on the basic stuff, but gradually get more picky when you move onto more valuable currency. It all feels very natural.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

Any game where I have to choose what garbage to haul back with me for money is a game which is terribly unfun to play

Then I guess you should never play a Diablo clone with tons of loot? The system in PoE encourages people to check everything that drops(and you fast learn to distinguish valuable/usable items in a second or two), not just go for colours and ignore everything else that drops.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish you could use Melody in the daily for Necrodancer, favourite character by far since you can play through the entire game without ever stopping moving.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Banner Saga does the former if I recall correctly, but don't play it, it's poo poo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
10 wins in a row with Cadence doesn't seem too hard, just boring.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have 1.9 wins on Cadence deathless (died against the Necrodancer the second time around) and that puts me at around #60 on the leaderboards. You need a lot of consistency to get ten wins in a row. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, just that statistically I don't think many people are going to get it even if they're trying for it.

I think it's just that not too many people have bothered to try deathless mode. I can easily finish the game pretty much every time I play Cadence(mostly daily dungeon nowadays), but every run takes some time.
I guess it's easy to grow careless after a run or five.

I wish they'd mix the daily up a bit by forcing you to play a random character other than Cadence every now and then.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any alternative campaigns or different story modes for invisible Inc? It's... pretty barebones, and the ending isn't very satisfying, it honestly feels like a cliffhanger.
I thought the game would go the way of adding to the story if you finished it on higher difficulties, but the endings for beginner and experienced are identical.

Great game otherwise!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

victrix posted:

speaking of idle battler roguelites, is Astronarch any good?

I picked it up on a recommendation. It's... competent. I found it easy and kind of shallow though, but I guess there's only so much you can get out of the concept.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeza posted:

If anyone, like me, was wondering what the gently caress the Source 2013 SDK Multiplayer thing is - it's actually Roleplaying mod for GTAV.

It's a crazy world out there.
Yeah last time I saw that I clicked it and HL2:Death match came up, so I was thinking that drat, I must have missed the latest trend or something.

Googling at least shed some light on it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thirsty Dog posted:

You can just edit one of the ini files to double the game speed.

Be aware that this breaks parts of the game. Treasuries no longer give out rewards, for example.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

victrix posted:

Set it to x1 before placing the 9th tile and it works
Sure, just have to remember to do it every time. Also, it might be breaking other parts that aren't as noticeable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's room for a fourth class on the chapter/character select screen, so I am guessing that the cracked equipment slots are for that class, which is probably not implemented yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Attack speed has diminishing returns (mainly against bosses) for warrior and rogue because of the stamina system, so from my experience a mix of burned forests and thickets works best.

Gave me an easy win with both at least. Lategame war and rogue plays very similarly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 8, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

No Wave posted:

Why was there so much hype for loop hero? I haven't seen anything else from the devs but it sold huge numbers even on day one. Was the demo hugely popular? Is Devolver just that godly at marketing? Or is it a combination of that and not much coming out? Not a criticism of the game I don't have strong feelings.

Good pixel art, something new, popular publisher, not much else going on, etc

Edit: Also, I feel like anything that sticks out during "release droughts" is gonna get massively hyped, because the various gaming medias needs content.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 9, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like it, it's not bad. But you do realize later on that it is pretty shallow, and absolutely does not have the staying power of something like Slay the Spire.

Still, got a good 30 hours out of it.

Edit: And it really is a very pretty game. I think that might have played a role in gaining it popularity.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's a pretty perfect streamer game as well, since it's easy to get into, always has something going on while being pretty non-committal at times, and if you don't bounce off it immediately, you are probably gonna enjoy it all the way to the end.
It is a really good timewaster.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Iratus was kinda boring imo. It has many of the same issues as DD with none of the presentation to carry for it.
It was also pretty easy to find one working strat and just beat the entire game with it, since you aren't forced to switch out your team members occasionally.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hooplah posted:

Siralim Ultimate hits steam EA tomorrow :toot:

I know they're roguelike adjacent at best, but they've been brought up itt before so i figured a few of you probably appreciate the heads up.

Any noticeable changes from the original, or is there just more of it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, sounds neat. Might pick it up, old Siralim was a really good brainless timewaster.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BurningBeard posted:

Can you expand on that description? It looks pretty complex to me, but will skip if it doesn’t have enough depth.

I guess it's unfair to say that it's brainless. It's more that all the thinking went into the planning and preparation phases of the game. The delving itself was more of a rampage (until you hit some of the bosses)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I had forgotten how many tools Siralim gives you to break the game. There's like a million different strategies you can use.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I played Tangledeep back when it first released, but dropped it after a few hours because it seemed very... shallow? Can't remember exactly.
Did it change much over the years?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yeah, I am fully open to the idea that I am misremembering things. I just remember it didn't click well with me at all, and after a while I realized I wasn't having fun so I just dropped it. Steam says I have about 12 hours clocked.
It just didn't leave that much of an impression at the time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Related to the 'interesting maps' brought up earlier, I am getting a new PC soon, and was looking to get back into developing, and I was wondering: What are the games with the most interesting procedural map generation?
I'm not talking just visually, but functionally interesting as well.
I've made procedural generators in the past, but this time I want to go a step beyond boxy dungeons or cellular automata cave system

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cheers! I'll have a look at it during my break.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they ever expand on it, or does it still end on that massive cliffhanger?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

What cliffhanger?

IIRC: AI destroys all the corporations, starts killing a lot of people, leaves you hanging.

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of this, I'm feeling kind of burned out on Hades; it's a great game but I've reached the point where I have a bunch more plot that I want to happen but I don't really want to do more runs, especially since a winning run is about an hour long realtime and most of my runs are wins now.

Yup this is what happened with me. Every run after a while felt the same, and I still had to beat the game a bunch more if I wanted the "real" ending or the resolution to all the various side-plots. I think I went at it for a bit too long, because it really soured me on the game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 10, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh re: Invisible Inc that is the ending, it’s not a cliffhanger?
Eh, guess it depends on how you look at it, I just remember I found it pretty unsatisfying. Though tbf, it's been like 5+ years since I played it last.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any interesting roguelikes on the horizon to keep an eye out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jupiter Hell and Caves of Qud should be dropping this year, that'll be awesome.
Huh, CoQ actually getting a full release? Never thought I'd see the day.

Gotta add those two to my wishlist it seems, cheers!