Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sil - Forum
pre:
Into the vast and echoing gloom,
more dread than many-tunnelled tomb
  down awful corridors that wind
    down to a menace dark enshrined;
      down to the mountain's roots profound,
devoured, tormented, bored and ground
by seething vermin spawned of stone;
 down to the depths she went alone...

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: ASCII
Platform: Windows and Mac

Let's Plays: Not on this website.

Forks: Sil is a fork of Angband although it shares very little with Angband beyond the premise.

In Sil you play as an Elf (easy,) Dwarf (medium,) or Human (loving hard,) who needs to dive 100 floors down Morgoth's lair and steal one of the three Silmarils on Morgoth's crown. To accomplish this you need to master what is probably the best tactical combat system in any roguelike. Combat in Sil is pretty much the definition of easy to learn & hard to master and there are tons of extremely different ways to play so you can try something different after getting murdered a dozen times in a row. You can be a magic clad blender that dices everything, an archer singing songs of death and destruction while murdering everyone from across the room or a shadow on the wall that gets in and out of the dungeon with nobody the wiser. This game shares almost nothing in common with Anband so don't let its heritage scare you away, it is stripped down, intuitive and very fast to play. I'm having a hard time describing why exactly Sil is so much fun so I'm just gonna crib the paragraph that initially sold me on it.

'There are no wizards or priests, no platemail or magical scrolls. Instead, it is the Norse Saga inspired world that Tolkien imagined, with warriors clad in shining mail, singing songs of rage or sorrow as they slay. The magic of the world is subtle yet powerful: there are songs of fear and of binding, rather than spells of fireball and teleportation.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EvilMike posted:

Nice writeup. Just one important note, it's 20 floors, not 100! Sil is pretty short for a roguelike.

Pffft I think this means I haven't played Sil recently enough.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

hito posted:

What's the consensus on Don't Starve? Does that count as a roguelike?

I'd say it counts and it's a lot of fun too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sil seriously rocks and anyone who likes roguelikes needs to give it a try.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Pixel Dungeon is really good goddamn, this is by far the best roguelike I've played on a mobile device.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

maketakunai posted:

To whom it may concern: you can now preorder Crypt of the Necrodancer! For pre-ordering, you get a 10% discount ($13.49 from $14.99) and a Steam key when it releases. That's right. Crypt of the Necrodancer's coming out on Steam. :allears:

They tweeted that they'll probably add another pre-order option to include the OST, so you might wanna wait a few days if you're interested in that.

Also, they updated the site to include a cinematic trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENF14Iloxw

I would pre-order this in a heartbeat but it's probably not going to go up on steam until it's actually out. :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I haven't played occult chronicles for months, I'm gonna have to run through a few games and see how it's improved since the alpha/beta/early access thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mune posted:

I wasn't really sure whether or not to ask this in the recommend games thread, this thread, or the MUD thread. If it belongs somewhere else, let me know and I'll post it there.

I'm basically looking for a single-player, non-permadeath, less-grindy version of DragonRealms the MUD. I really enjoyed the combat system in that game where you targeted limbs and the whole description was done qualitatively (e.g., 'You severed the goblin's right arm from his shoulder with your scimitar') and am looking for something like that where I don't have to invest 8 hours a day of grinding to get to appreciable levels of power, and I could do different runs with different styles of characters. Are there any roguelikes that fit that description? Looking over the list in the OP didn't have anything pop out to me.

Dwarf fortress adventure mode and to a much lesser extent IVAN.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mattjpwns posted:

Abominations. They also made Fort Zombie - which was buggy as gently caress, ran like total poo poo on a sizable amount of PC's, and was never properly fixed. Left to rot with the developers basically going "well what do you expect from an indie priced game?".

gently caress Kerberos. :colbert:

Holy poo poo Kerberos made that? :psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Is the enhanced version of Spelunky worth it or should I just keep playing the freeware version?

It's very much worth it if you already enjoy Spelunky, if you don't like Spelunky you won't enjoy the remake. If you can get it for Vita I would highly recommend that version.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happylisk posted:

In ADOM news, Biskup has released the latest build to the public:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-18-is-available-for.html

So if you didn't donate to the campaign, now you can check out those tiles!

Been waiting for this, thanks for the link!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This was old old old data (I think it was collected in 0.4.something) but yeah, more deaths in Crawl occured before D:5 than anywhere else and the deadliest creature in the entire game was the lowly Hobgoblin. In fact, the entire game got progressively less challenging until about D:20 and associated branches, at which point there was a slight uptick in deathrate (but still less than early game.)

Anecdotally, this wasn't just new players either; if you looked at the scoreboards of really good Crawl players (again, at the time) their records would basically go "died on D:1, died in D:3, won with 3 runes, died on D:4, won with 15 runes," etc.

I know I play less cautiously in the upper dungeon unless I'm trying to go for a streak or something. You turn a corner on D:1 and there's a hobgoblin holding a glowing dagger, now that dagger probably isn't distortion or draining, but it might be. The right move would be to run away and either go to D:2 or just escape and clear the rest of the level. In practice though, who gives a poo poo, if it's a ohko brand you'll die and reroll instantly so just autoattack that fucker.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Sil comes recommended among goons? I just read about it and it seems kind of neat. Could anyone give some beginner tips(I know I saw people discussing it a few pages ago)

Sil is seriously really really good and is probably my favorite roguelike right now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, I don't know. The last time was with a dwarf, and I had made myself a set of the heaviest normal armor possible, with a bunch of points invested into melee. Then I ran into a sword spider and got thoroughly clobbered. Tried to run away once he got me down to a third of my life, but I only got about five steps before being finished off.

I've never been very good at roguelikes, though.

Playing a dwarf in Sil is like playing an Ogre in crawl, it's a challenge class. Just play Noldor until you win/are extremely comfortable with the game. You can't run from sword spiders because they're faster than you and you should probably concentrate more on reducing your dodge penalty than from increasing your armor. For the first ~600 feet you'll probably have about 30-40 hp so taking any damage is dangerous.

e: Spiders are real dumb though, if you get out of LOS for even a single turn they'll stop chasing you so depending on the layout of the level you can easily ditch them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Like other people have said combat is way less useful as a mechanic for progression than it is in your typical roguelike. If you clear out the 50' and 100' floors completely you will very often not be getting any experience for kills on common things like orcs or wolves by about halfway through. Pick your fights, escape from enemies you're not interested in fighting before you get tangled up in a brawl with them. Above all don't be afraid to dive a little, there's no point in sticking around in shallow floors where monsters don't give any exp. Try to keep ahead of the depth clock so you can spend more time in the 750' and below floors where there are vaults all over the place with monsters worth killing and artifacts worth fighting for.

Play like you're an elf who's snuck into an evil fortress of an evil god alone with nothing but a few torches, you're not interested in murdering every last thing in here, you just want to get your job done and get out.

Edwhirl posted:

I like Sil, but I really, really wish that it would start you with a bow. Since, y'know, you can start with archery *skill*. Or, at least, generate them more than once per ten floors.

You can drop 300 exp into smithing and be guaranteed to get a bow and 50 arrows at the 100' forge but I prefer to just reroll if I haven't found a bow on an archer by ~250'.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You're stuck with that for most of the game, later on you'll find artifacts that increase con and you can get 1 extra point from Will which is useful to dump a lot of points into anyways if you're a melee guy. You can also forge some +con gear but since forging con drains con you won't actually gain HP until you find a con potion to restore the drained stats.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
For all the people having trouble with Sil, the best answer is to just be really loving lucky.

This is on a stealthy archer that just stepped onto floor 150'. :psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gently caress nether-worms forever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tollymain posted:

Haha gently caress, guess I can't really play Sil with full effectiveness. I don't have a keypad to move diagonally with :saddowns:

If you don't have a numpad you should really learn to play roguelikes with hjkl keys.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
hjkl is awful for about an hour and then it's the best.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

andrew smash posted:

Does anybody have any decent strategies for the late middle game in Sil? I can pretty reliably get a heavy weapon/armor user with a smithing start to about 650' but then i just get stomped.

Edit:any tips on getting a stabber rolling would be appreciated too

I really don't like forging, putting more than like 6 points in it is a waste. It's useful for getting through the early game but I don't think it's worth investing in the mid/late game. Part of the reason you're having so much trouble is you have thousands of exp invested in a skill that does literally nothing so if your gear isn't out of this world better than what you would otherwise have it's a complete waste.

Also I've never gotten a heavy armor user working, my smiths (and all my successful characters for that matter) are stealthy. If you want to be a stealthy stabber invest in evasion, melee and stealth. Find a nice shortblade/deathblade, pick up all the +critical abilities and go to town with your quintuple crits on things that don't know you're there.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

madjackmcmad posted:

I get it, and objectively it's good design. It's a unique type of challenge, part of the genre's flavor, and it all makes sense. Objectively.

But, subjectively, which is shorthand for "my own personal opinion and who cares": ugh. There's a broad spectrum between running away on sight all the time and making something your bitch. Close calls, encounters that you run from because they went south (an unlucky enemy crit, or extra monsters you didn't expect), encounters that would be deadly but you prepared for them, and yeah every now and then you get player domination. Usually that last part is well earned, after dying a whole bunch previously and learning how to deal with the challenge.

Dragons are also brilliant, intelligent foes. Fighting one is going up against someone almost assuredly smarter than you, who has a stronger force of arms to boot. I have a pretty nerdy stance on dragons in that I never see them as trash monsters. High level fights that throw you in a room with seven dragons that you just yawn through are offensive to me too. Fighting a dragon should be such an event, and as it stands I don't even think I can represent it correctly, which is why there aren't any in Dungeonmans.

Anyway this is all just my opinion, because roguelikes are one of my favorite things to discuss.

Fighting a dragon in Sil is always an event, the fight can take a turn at basically any point if they decide to breathe or cast a spell so you need to be prepared to run or pop consumables. Also in Sil seeing more than 1 dragon in a room (besides the throne room) is pretty rare, usually you'll see a max of like 2 in an extremely deep vault.

I almost never take a fight with a dragon unless there's something in its hoard I want/can't sneak, they're just too dangerous.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 15, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Welp. Running into a shadow at 100' in Sil sure is a thing.

You were wearing an amulet of haunted dreams?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Pixel dungeon is a lot of fun. If you're looking for another android roguelike/puzzler you should check out Hoplite.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Silchat: What should I be taking as my Bane race if I decide to pick it up? It seems like a waste to grab it for orcs/wolfs/trolls/spiders, but does one of those in particular get much harder closer to 950-1000'?

What else is worth grabbing later in the game, other than Critical Resistance?

Ruako! Always bane Rauko! Rauko are the deadliest race in the game besides the 1000' dragons and they start showing up at like 500'. Since each race of rauko is so different there's going to be atleast one variant you can't handle and bane will be invaluable to not die to that particular variant.

And baneing rauko also banes balrogs which are the most plentiful dangerous uniques.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might want to read uPen's not-quite-complete LP of it, which covers what is apparently one of the easier ways to play the game (and thus presumably a good way to learn the ropes). That is, a stealthy archer.

I should probably finish that huh, the save is sitting at the start of the ascent because I dislike the ascent so much I've put it off for weeks. :negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

Looking for:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

-Brogue

-Brogue

-Risk of Rain

-Spelunky

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

I looked this one up, and the game has no art or graphics to speak of. :mad:

I'm hoping to find a roguelike or roguelite that can show off my beastly machine or just look drat pretty while playing.

Brogue is the prettiest roguelike out there. Download it and see for youself, what it does with ascii is nothing short of incredible.

It's free after all. :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

Yeah I see that it has a lot of color variation in some of the screenshots - any good videos that show off the game in motion?

It's not really a huge time investment to just download it and see for yourself. In fact you would probably spend more time looking for a decent video than you would if you just played it.

One of us, one of us.

Spacedad posted:

I'll be happy to play a good game - I am just wondering if there's any present examples of graphically impressive roguelikes/lites yet or on the horizon. With the crazy appeal that things are now for roguelites, it may be a matter of time before we see some though.

If there's any presently in early development, let me know. I think there's some zombie survival house-building things and that 'sir you are being hunted' alpha.

Graphically impressive? Not likely since high-end graphics take enormous teams and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Artistically impressive? There's plenty of examples, Brogue being the standout but others that spring to mind would be Risk of Rain, Red Rogue, and DoomRL.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Any word on when crypt of the necrodancer is coming out? I remember it exists every once and awhile and get filled with hope that it's already out but no luck yet. :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Occult chronicles is a lot of fun but I can 100% see someone not liking the mechanics, especially for $20.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Those ADOM screenshots look really nice. Is the prerelease free? Or if it's not, how much is it?

A post-tiles version was put up for public download awhile ago and if you want the latest version you can buy in for the low, low sum of $40.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

It's way funnier if you go find it yourself, but here.

Nothing says erotic like ascii.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Geokinesis posted:

Is it seriously meant to be erotic? I mean could people not just go and read some sex stories rather than have it be part of a roguelike.

I'm rock hard.

From investigating this game for about 5 minutes it looks like a lovely roguelike that's interjected with bits of really trashy romance-novel style 'erotic' scenes featuring cats/snakes/whatever you happen to be. Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

quote:

- Dungeon
- more stairs on the really big levels
- more chance that a shaft is placed instead of a stair
- these things should make the escape a bit faster

:worship:

Thank god.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You also need heavier weapons to actually get the extra sides from higher str and heavy weapons are harder to crit with which is how stealthy dudes kill things so yeah!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Levitate posted:

Couple of questions about Sil.

I ran into a violent mold and lost a point of Con, how can I get that back? I have a potion of constitution but I'm not sure if that's permanent (in fact, are all potions of stuff like that, strength, etc, permanent or temporary?)

Stat potions add +3 temporary stat points to a stat and after they wear off your stat falls back to its regular level. So if you've got 3 con and quaff a con potion you'll have 6 con for a bit then drop to 3. However if you had 3 con drained to 2 and quaff a potion you'll jump up to 5, and then when the potion wears off you'll drop back down to 3 instead of 2. If your stat was drained more than 3 points then you'd have to quaff 2 potions to completely restore everything.

There's also potions/herbs that just restore 2 drained stats in every stat without giving any temp benefit but you probably won't see one of those for awhile. If you get your grace drained you can also eat a piece of Lembas to restore a single point of that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What else do you need to do to "update it for Steam"?

Extra content to get people back into the game and hype it up for the release. It's pretty common for games to get new content when they come out on a new platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Unormal posted:

Thinking two-color tiles. Try to retain some of the simplicity of 2-color ASCII, while making it graphical enough for people who just can't do ASCII.

This is already much more erotic than Noxico, good progress.