Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

EvilMike posted:

I think it would be worth mentioning Sil on its own.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't like Angband but I liked Sil from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I admit I care little about any and all developer drama and that's why I bought the Pit. If the game is good, I will give them money. If it is not, I will not.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I'm probably not up to date on what the last build of CoQ was, and I think the thread faded away or something. Is there a link to whatever the most up to date build is?

e: I've actually found it, it seems like.

Just for future reference, the archived thread is here and the latest build can be downloaded from the official web here.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've been playing a lot of Spelunky these past few weeks and I still can't help but murder all the shopkeepers :catstare: Maybe that's why I never win, haha.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, there's no reason not to try UnReal World now that it's free. I love the game, just wish it had more stuff to do once you pass a certain point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Skwee posted:

Well I just ran into a seriously hosed up situation.. I can't get to the second level of the rust caves because a slumberling is on the staircase below me.. There is also a slumberling on the first level, it says it is impossible difficulty, so I left it the hell alone. First time I've seen those guys.

e: okay so I just kept hitting go down and eventually it died.. Guess it didn't wake up.. Sweet 525 xp pinata.

I haven't played for some time but slumberlings were diehard fuckers, better not to press your luck next time, to be honest.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

nucleicmaxid posted:

So does CoQ have a graphical interface yet?

It does have graphical interface, but if you mean tile support then the answer is no, and according to Unormal it probably won't ever be implemented. They're more likely to do another roguelike with tile support being a feature right from the start.

Unormal posted:

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

Unormal posted:

You'd need more support for the engine to make it work, and I just never did it. The character->item mapping isn't close 1:1 so you can't just replace letters with object images. I didn't really care much about tile-set support when I wrote the first pass of the engine. I was trying for the best 16-color ascii ever. :D

Unormal posted:

Probably not. We're more likely to do a full-blown graphical roguelike that's actually built for whatever media it's targeted for (PC/Mobile/etc) than go back and entirely re-do CoQ for tiles.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

my dad posted:

• You can make node-links visible without being in the node, it's in the game options. This is very important and useful, and you should do it.

Well, drat.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I like bullet hell arenas when they're not straigh-up bullet hell but only around the level of "quite a bit of bullets". When it's reaching the heights of one of the shmup video I've seen where there's only a tiny narrow space you have to navigate through not to get hit that's when the game stops being enjoyable for me. That's why I like Binding of Isaac 95% of the time, the rest is near the end where things get really hectic and annoying.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Corridor posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Delver?

The last I heard everything that Delver does Eldritch does better, YMMV.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

madjackmcmad posted:

I enjoy it! Not the deepest game right now but it's fun to run around and sword/arrow things apart. The player is a very simple entity and there's not a lot of choice, but hey it's early access.

drat. Well Corridor what don't you like about it? I'll admit, it doesn't do it for me 100%. I've played it a few times, gotten about halfway through the second book, but I've yet to feel a burning desire to push all the way through. It feels a touch repetitive, if I had to label it.

I suppose it feels repetitive because the enemies tend to respawn a lot and they pose no threat to a reasonably able gamer. In your combing through an area you can pass through a particular part of the floor even five times and in most cases there will be an enemy to fight even if you killed them just moments ago. You can skip a lot of the areas but then again it would be better if the dev streamlined the core game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
You can always watch a recording of an online game in console, it's even possible to convert ttyrec to video using some software. I wouldn't know about tiles, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
DoomRL is roguelike with the fanciest graphics that don't make it harder or more obnoxious to play like some others (e.g. Dungeons of Dredmore). I always imagine how could would it be if someone made a rougelike with proper high budget graphics but then, after playing some attempts at making a roguelike with graphics, I realized that it probably wouldn't work anyway. I'm more than ready to be proven wrong, though ;)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Well, I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Noxico_example_characters

code:
culture
	japanese
invisiblegender
terms
	generic: "cheetah"
	male: "cheetah man"
	female: "cheetah girl"
	herm: "cheetah herm"
ascii
	char: U+010C
tallness: 182
hair
	length: 7
	color: brown
skin
	type
		fur
	color: orange
eyes
	color: gold
face
	cat
ears
	cat
legs
	human
tail
	genbeast
rear end
	size: 5
	fuckable
hips: 8
waist: 2
fertility: 20
breastrow
	amount: 2
	size: 4.2
	nipples: 1
		size: 1.2
	milksource
vagina
	fuckable
	clit: 0.3
charisma: 60
cunning: 40
carnality: 90
sensitivity: 40
speed: 70
strength: 50

Haha, this is the best. "Breastrow".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

getting the project rolling in earnest
No ifs :swoon: :hurr:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

:words: about CoQ spinoff

This sounds really good. I imagine you wouldn't want to recreate the original game, so I thought it might be interesting to make this one more freeform, cutting down on the linear setpieces and progression. Basically, give us a simple goal like most roguelikes do and let the player do his/her thing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Agreed on all accounts! I know next to nothing about Gamma World, but CoQ reminds me of Dark Tower a lot, yeah. Especially the early books, with the weirdo cyborg bear and intelligent supersonic train.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Paper With Lines posted:

:toot: Is there a changes .txt?

http://www.unrealworld.fi/318-changelog.txt

It's quite long, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: Hopefully they'll be able to revive Incursion like Cataclysm DDA team managed to do.

The posters in the resident Cataclysm thread aren't so fond of it from the looks of it :v: Might be just goons being goons but I honestly have no idea since I haven't been following it that closely.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Eeh, you might want to consider another genre then, since those are the fundamentals.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I love mostly everything about FTL except for the boss. It sucks. Unless you're really, really loving good, you need to be aware of its existence and about there being several stages to be able to deafeat it and prepare accordingly. I wish the devs did away with it or at least put in another mode where you don't have a ridiculous supership at the end.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I played a metric shitton of Dungeon Crawl and I've only won once and the win took me 2 years. Now, let's disregard the fact that I suck at roguelikes, more specifically I suck at recognizing threats properly. Even though I managed to get gently caress-all anywhere in Crawl I was still compelled to play it because every time I died I knew exactly what did I do wrong. And after some time I managed to hit the sweet spot and won with a wizard.

Whenever I play FTL and lose to the flagship I can't really figure out how to deal with it better safe for being lucky on the store items and events. And it always deters me from playing so all in all I didn't play it much at all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I noticed Flatspace has a sequel and I see people talk it up from time to time, but I haven't seen much else apart from "it's great!". Anyone care to write more about it?

Also, Tower of Eglathia looks so, so bad :psyduck: It's like babby's first roguelike in the form of a windows application with terrible writing (You are a man. You get a slight bonus to strength. Strength +1 :ughh:).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I played quite a bit of Hero Siege. The game is cool but it has one serious problem — bunch of bullshit things that instakill you because they have ridiculous damage, it's almost exclusive to traps. I can deal with any enemy or boss but if I step on the wrong trap I'm almost instantly dead (usually half a second to second). It really brings the game down, I'd rather it stepped up the general difficulty than having this kind of artificial "but roguelike!" kind of poo poo.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, they might've patched it, I've yet to give it another go.

I don't usually use traps because I don't have problems killing the enemies on my own, but while running around the levels sooner or later I stumble into one of those volcano things that make me explode, not to mention the Diablo 3-esque rotating lasers (spawned by Arcane Enchanted champions in D3) which kill you super fast when they spawn on top of you. I've had a bunch of other insta-deaths when I didn't even know what killed me.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 15, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I tried playing FTL again and enabled the advanced mode. I went with Engi A and found Flak really early, which was pretty good. Then I found Vulcan Cannon :stare:

Too bad the last phase of the flagship completely annihilated me. How does one deal with damaged hull when the nearest repair point is like 4 jumps away and the flagship is only a jump away from the base (it came from the back, too, which kinda made it impossible for me to rush it in order to stop it far from base)?

I was really close to winning this time, only if I could repair between the fights. Pretty sure surviving all 3 phases without repairs is beyond my ability.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So I decided to check out Nuclear Throne yesterday and after 4 hours of non-stop playing the chicken dude I can conclude the game is officially awesome even though it's still Early Access.

Every time I see the name Vlambeer I get inappropriately giddy. Everything from the gameplay to music is stylish and well-though out, the dude/dudette/dudes really know how to make games.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I haven't played Crawl for some time but last I heard they almost did away with the identification minigame; most things auto-identified on use except for some bizarro effects. Someone might want to correct me on that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone have experience with Nuclear Throne

Nuclear Throne is made by Vlambeer, which should tell you everything you need to know if you've played any of their games. If you haven't, then let it be known that Vlambeer makes games that are dope as gently caress. In other words, get Nuclear Throne.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Larz posted:

Everyone's favorite Finnish iron-age animal-skinning simulator, UnReal World, is now on Steam Greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249428292 Head on over and give it a vote to see it on Steam. Can a survival game without zombies make it on Steam?

Well, took them long enough! Voted.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Here's a neat game that might be relevant to your interests: Hand of Fate. It's an early access card game but unlike Magic or Hearthstone (what these two have in common, though, is the slick presentation).

The dealer basically creates a dungeon for your out of cards and you have to get through several floors to get to the boss which is afterwards shuffled into the deck as a semi-regular enemy. There are quite a bit of unique items which will give you abilities or change the gameplay a bit. By defeating optional encounters, bosses etc. you can earn tokens which in turn unlock more equipment and encounter cards, which you then can select in the deck building mode.

The first few games are quite easy but once you get to the end of the first row of challenges it'll unlock a power card which makes the game harder and some of the encounters are quite nasty even now.

Here's a short video of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gTSYGhWT4

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Demiurge4 posted:

It looks really sweet, the little third person encounters seem okay but the controls are a bit simplistic.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it, gonna be a fun past time for the week. I'll report back if its amazing.

Sure, report back after playing, I'm interested in how you'll like it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
It's kind of a weird and addictive mix of roguelike, RPG and cookie clicker with randomized loot, crafting and arena with ladder and randomized "dungeons" (not something you can actually walk through). Sounds like absolute clusterfuck but it's not, at least not at the beginning (I keep dying around level 15 so YMMV).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

esquilax posted:

Typically, people

I, too, can pull pseudo-truths out of my rear end to support my weak argument.

esquilax posted:

someone from a tribe on the coast of Finland is better at fishing and swimming than someone from inland Finland

I'm starting to see a pattern in your posting.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

esquilax posted:

That's an actual example from the roguelike Unreal World, and no one has ever given a poo poo about that

That doesn't make it any less of a problem, it's just a niche game with small player base. Despite that it's still a great game, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Too bad I don't have a few million lying around to give you so you could go full-time Caves of Qud :sigh: That game rocks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Pladdicus posted:

Teleglitch is amazing. Go get it.

Yes, go get it!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Is there an android port of POWDER? I've only found the author mentioning a beta but apparently it's nowhere to be found anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thank you, I'm blind :downs: Only read the Downloads section.