Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oh, new thread. Let's hope Swamp spawns this time instead of Shoals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goon made it. :colbert:

That goon should work on it more and add more stuff to do and more mutations and I dunno but it should happen because it's great. :colbert:

(i kid)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'd say Don't Starve has enough to it to probably be vaguely interesting to roguelike fans, so some talk of it in the thread wouldn't be unwarranted. Doesn't exactly have a set 'endgoal', but the process behind it is all about survival and trying to avoid permadeath.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jenx posted:

As for Dwarf Fortress - I haven't played this in years, is the adventure mode an actual thing these days? Cos I remember back when I played it was mostly there just for show.

Toady is working on making it into more of a fleshed out thing and has added some stuff. As someone said earlier, it'll more or less be an Elder Scrolls 'open RPG' kinda thing and not exactly an entirely 100% focused deal. With the level of detail it can give I'm actually kind of excited to see what it eventually turns into.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brogue, DoomRL, and pooooossibly Crawl would probably all count as relatively simple to get into. DoomRL is probably on top of the pile here for being insanely accessible like Brogue is, but also having a really neat interface, music, tileset, etc. etc. and a level of depth that is amazing for such a short game.

I can't really think of others, to be honest. These things are all ones people have recommended previously and they're pretty much on top.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pro IVAN strats involve running over glass shards until your legs fall off so you can pray for better ones. Straightforward it ain't. Funnily enough, the basic ending isn't impossible to get or anything, but you more or less have to entirely game the system.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

People who play DoomRL without the tiles are weird and wrong.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Anything is better than the term MOBA, which is quite possibly one of the most loving generic and non-descriptive terms ever made for something in existence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, the whole situation is a bust.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The proper Brogue strategy is to accept your cold and inevitable death when you don't get any good item spawns.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm probably not up to date on what the last build of CoQ was, and I think the thread faded away or something. Is there a link to whatever the most up to date build is?

e: I've actually found it, it seems like.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 9, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

Spice-time vortex can be dangerous, but it eats anything at all, so it has it's upsides.

I know this is a typo, but this gives me some awesome thoughts about Dune.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's definitely worth it for anyone who enjoyed the original. It adds just enough to be sorta fresh and all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, if nothing else Ed McMillen is remaking Binding of Isaac. Big selling point is it not being in Flash. That said, it's given me a hell of a lot of entertainment for how little I paid for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Roctavian posted:

:goonsay: Actually these guys are doing the remake, though I don't know what that means in terms of the quality of the final product.

I'm still in on what Jack Trades said -- the game is great but it's in Flash, which is horrible. Didn't Edmund McMillen say in an interview that he can't patch the original game anymore because the program file is just huge and out of control?

I didn't know the specifics, but that's really good news. Their stuff is pretty high quality. And I'm pretty sure he said something along those lines at one point. The game being programmed in Flash reeeaaally does it no favors, because there have been a lot of issues for people where it will magically decide to slow down for some reason or another.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Just play DoomRL as an Angel of Berserk and pretend you're in ye olde medieval times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If standard Arcen logic follows through, then the game should be not aggressively mediocre in like 5+ years.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, if he wasn't the person behind DoomRL then no one would give a poo poo about the project. That 'trailer' doesn't really help matters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The IVAN engine has so much potential for a really cool game.

That said, IVAN in itself is also a great exercise in Fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm considering getting Risk of Rain on Steam since it's more than just a demo and whatever now. Have they touched up on it and fixed the weird balance issues that some people were talking about earlier when the demo came out?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Thanks! I had no idea there was a dedicated thread.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Doom Goon posted:

I asked if anybody tried this out, but since nobody else mentioned it I did it myself. It's more like a boardgame (Arkham Horror) with side-scrolling combat/gunning than a roguelike, where you have so many hours to drive around to towns, collecting supplies and saving/abandoning towns, trying to figure out clues (for spells and which elder god you have to stop), things of that nature. There's a weird sanity/magic system using symbols kind of like a more indie Eternal Darkness. When you die your next character gets some sort of bonus, so failing isn't a total loss.

I only played a few rounds because I thought the combat was really bad (aiming seemed arbitrary and melee is at best inconsistent, though I never did luck far into the magic system) and the enemies seemed pretty annoying. It seems really repetitive for how easy you can get railroaded, though I did clear a lot of Stonehenge once; supplies are limited and take time to route, and if you run from enemies you take a pretty strict sanity and status effect penalty (though apparently if you get the right upgrades the game's a breeze?). The movement/combat's the big roadblock for me; if he fixed it up and balanced it a bit better, as it's in beta right now, I could see it becoming a fair recommendation. That's my knee jerk reaction, as it would take time to figure out how varying the CYOA choices in the game are, for instance (I got a lot of doubles).

A roguelike version of some sort of Arkham Horror thing would be pretty cool if it gets pulled off well, but that's a pretty tall order. Probably odd for him to go from point and click adventures to something that actually needs balance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

OtspIII posted:

I think it's something appropriate for talking about in this thread, but yeah--there really isn't hardly any emergent gameplay that comes out of it. I think its permadeath mechanic sort of works, but the level generation feels more random than procedural (Jesus, that's a fuzzy distinction--do people get what I mean by that?) and there aren't really all that many interlocking subsystems to the game to make for unexpected gameplay moments.

I get what you mean. Roguelikes build areas based off of a certain framework with certain setpieces thrown in there now and again while Rogue Legacy is more or less just a bunch of puzzle pieces hammered together in a way so that the doors line up. Everything else is just grinding minor stat points. Of all the games that are said to be roguelike-lite and all that, Rogue Legacy is definitely waaaaaay down at the bottom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

One of my main issues with Rogue Legacy and how it handles things is that it's really full of 'artificial' difficulty compared to actual roguelikes. A lot of the classes are just hilariously ineffective at being useful and sometimes you can walk into a room and automatically get hit because due to the way poo poo spawned there's no way to avoid it. Binding of Isaac has the same issue occasionally, but that game actually gives out more health so it's not much of an issue unless you're going for an achievement for not getting hurt in a certain area. It would help if the Rogue Legacy devs would balance poo poo a tiny bit more in favor of the player and make a few more classes worth half a drat, but I'm not really holding my breath. In the meanwhile it's still pretty much a grind-a-thon, something that good/actual roguelikes do away with if they get the chance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jordan7hm posted:

Spelunky already got it right. Twice. That's a great example of how to do post-game content too.

Super house of dead ninjas (or whatever it's called) is well worth picking up, and I'm really looking forward to Towerclimb being finished.

Spelunky is amazing, yeah. No discussion of roguelike platformers should go without it. SHoDN is also pretty cool and all of like 3 bucks right now on Steam. Probably not the most appropriate game for discussion in the roguelikes thread, but it's fun and worth checking out for anyone interested.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I still wish there was a Wizard Lab branch based off of the mini one that can rarely spawn. Have it still keep the wide variety of types that it can use as far as the general theme/whatever, but make it into a more fleshed out area. Those things were always cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I've never heard of Infra Arcana before. It looks pretty neat!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Space Bat posted:

I think that's where I have a big problem with it. One of the reasons I love roguelikes is that a big part of it is knowing that, at least in part, I made a mistake which led to my death. I'd rather have a game where I'll end up losing 99% of my characters, they all could potentially ascend outside of the freak case of a gnome with a wand of death or what have you, rather then 1% of my characters even standing a chance. But I'll still probably keep my eyes on it if only because it's not bogged down in features nor is it too light for my tastes.

Edit: Even in a game like IVAN it doesn't feel as unfair. I dunno though, maybe it needs to grow on me.

I haven't found it -way- too punishing as of yet. I've mostly just been saving my resources for when I absolutely know I'll need them, though. Only gotten to around level 8 I think before getting hosed up by something I'm pretty sure I could have avoided. It could definitely use some work in my opinion, especially when it comes to the fact that some status ailments can pretty much be death sentences since they last goddamn forever. The game is right on the edge of being a fun and relatively short roguelike, but yeah, it does feel a little bit unfair in how harshly it treats the character. The unfortunate bit is that it feels like there really isn't anything I could have done with the tools I had sometimes when I die.

Also, having all of your spirit drained should just shoot up your insanity by a fair chunk instead of outright killing you. Starting as an Occultist seems to be basically useless since you won't be able to cast anything you know until like 6 levels from then when you might possibly have a spirit pool large enough to eliminate at least 90% of the instant kill chance. It's pretty neat overall, and I hope it gets even better with more updates. (Hopefully on the more balanced side.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, looks like Rogue Legacy just updated with a content patch today. A few new things and thankfully some good balance stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/241600/announcements/detail/1352501745977362675

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Has DoomRL ever won? Because, drat, it really should.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

That almost seems...a little too unfair? Especially considering the pool of choices in general.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Corridor posted:

It is literally an alpha game. One that the devs looked at and went "eh gently caress it that'll do".

Then instead of fixing poo poo and adding actual content and rebalancing, they released a dlc of a bunch more levels.

Well, that kind of puts any damper on me ever wanting to play Lovecraftian Minecraft.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oh man, anyone who enjoys Binding of Isaac will probably enjoy Nuclear Throne on Steam. It's early access right now but it's pretty drat fleshed out and they release updates about every week. It's a bit more focused on action than BoI is, but the formula is similar.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spacedad posted:

Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

-Brogue

-DoomRL

-Spelunky

-Spelunky

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If you want a roguelike to show off what your new comp can do graphics-wise you're probably looking in the wrong genre. But as far as good-looking in a technical sense goes it's amazing what Brogue pulls off with the standard ASCII tileset. DoomRL has really pretty graphics in the 'nice to look at' category, though. If you want processing power then Dwarf Fortress is probably your best bet even though it's technically not a roguelike unless you play Adventurer mode.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dungeons of Dredmor also falls in the category of looking really good, but your mileage may vary on how you enjoy the gameplay.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crawl also stands out for having a really fleshed out UI and set of tiles and was more or less the juggernaut of artistic roguelikes for a while.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToME is also worth a mention if you're just in general looking for more to play. This may or may not be influenced by me picking it up recently.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eschatos posted:

Ugh no. I'd rather play with ASCII graphics than TOME tiles, and I always play roguelikes with tiles. TOME is ugly as hell.

Believe me, even though I don't mind the tiles the game has I wasn't recommending it for the graphics at all. Just as a neat alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, Crawl sprites actually show like every detail you would need to know. Like the player sprite they're literally just paper dolls that the weapons get layered onto depending on what they have. Also, little symbols show up denoting whether they're under the effects of visible buffs or not. Crawl has a really good tileset and it's one of the few where you can actually get more info upfront than you would playing with ASCII.