Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sil is fun so far, although I think I might get a bit fed up with molds, wolves, and orcs being about all you run into on the upper levels. At least, they're all I've seen... except when I put on an amulet I found, and suddenly a wraith was following me around. A wraith usually found around 635 feet. When I was at ~100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MeramJert posted:

Expanding on this a bit, in the Middle Earth canon the only time anyone ever infiltrated Angband and stole a silmaril from Morgoth they did it with stealth. They didn't just power through Angband killing everything, and Sil sort of keeps that in mind by making stealth generally the most powerful thing in the game.

And remember, in Sil you get just as much experience for exploration and discovery as you do from killing things. So you can be pretty successful and get pretty far in the game with very little combat skill. I've never had much luck with a pure melee fighter after about 600 or 700 feet.

Yeah, the story of Beren and Luthien makes me think I should be dumping points into stealth and songs. It's been pretty fun watching orc patrols march right past me as I stealth along a wall.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Length should really be a consideration for someone new getting into roguelikes, some of them are really loving long. For most of the long ones, the middle part of the game consists of just keeping concentration over many hours and not making a silly mistake.

I've been playing Nethack on and off for over 15 years now... I'll ascend some day! :unsmith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lookit all these scrubs who don't know how to use a good text editor

I used to play Nethack with the numpad (and use arrow keys in vi), then I got a laptop and had to learn hjkl. I prefer it now, especially for Nethack where there's a lot of right hand keys in use.