Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Something like this for Elona

Elona (thread)

Genre: Turn-based JRPG
Graphics: Tile based sprite
Platform: Windows (Java port as well)
Let's Plays:
Exoterius (just a random one I found that's not from 5+years ago)
Forks: Elona+ is actively developed and generally considered superior.There are download directions in the SA thread first post.

Eternal League of Nefia is a wonderful adventure that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The game is brutally fair, if you've got enough strength you can hug someone to death, but if you try to cast a spell without enough MP, your HP will be drained. In a genre that seeks to remove itself from tedious grinding and needless keystrokes, Elona seems to actively pride itself on obfuscating the proper game behind hours of mind-numbing grinding. That said, the game is incredibly intelligent and robust, it has an interesting world and it's clear a great deal of facets have been thought through. It's worth reading the thread for all the things other people do, even if you don't want to endure it yourself. This game is a JRPG through and through.

It is important to note that Elona+ offers vast improvements over the base game and is very much worth playing over the base game. As one final aside, Elona don't control or feel like other roguelikes, so you don't fumble too much with the controls you should do the tutorial.

e: fixed bolding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
When I first started playing ToME it was a huge turn-off to have to spend ~5-10 minutes reading the descriptions of each ability for my character then deciding which was the best, etc. etc. It's a great game, but starting a new and unknown character class is pretty tedious and I wish they'd implement a "Beginners mode" that just highlights a good choice to take each level.

e: and yes, I know the problems inherit in this solution.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

...Occult Chronicles is basically a cleaned-up version of Arkham Horror...

The board game? Or is there a video game version that I need to check out, because that would be amazing. Either way, I'll def. be looking more into Occult Chronicles.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

It would be a lot less painful to play as a computer game.

The same way Magic Online is better than paper magic, often but not always. But I do work for Fantasy Flight so what do I know.

Still, the thing I dislike about The Pit the most is the length of a run, it's just draining.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Goatperson is the viscous difficulty equivalent...

But how viscous? Are we talking pudding, or jam? Poorly done pancake mix?
E: vicious

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

andrew smash posted:

After fiddling with dredmor a bit I've decided that burglary totally trivializes most of the game. With a little planning you can rip off every shop essentially risk-free, plus you get to jimmy a random freebie out of every vending machine. Even though most of brax's stuff is total poo poo the ~5% or so that isn't makes your gear head and shoulders above what you'd otherwise be finding, in general. You can afford to be a little looser with your artifacts as a result which allows you to eat them for xp with Archaeology and you're gaining levels faster too. On top of all of that you're basically immune to traps and thus have a never ending supply of landmines or cube fodder.

Mathemagic works about as well for shop raids cause it's teleport is so drat good. You don't get the trap skill from burglary if you go that route though, but mathemagic is strong regardless so it's up to preference.

Burglary used to give infinite lockpicks which could be Skold'd to get every artifact from the statues. Archaeology used to be bugged so when you re-rolled an artifact (which you could do as many times as you wanted) it would add a small overall stat buff to the item. Dungeons at release was a buggy mess, but it was almost fun because of the stupid builds you could do. The game has some good concepts, but I really feel the execution is (still!) pretty sloppy. If a sequel is ever made, I'll jump on it though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Unormal posted:

0CNTH-WTGWI-WPCZJ

(Here's the survey link, I'd be great if you could fill it out if you grab a key, after playing for a bit! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V2CPC3H)

Got this one, I'll probably answer the survey tonight or tomorrow.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm not upset by TOMEchat (well, I am sometimes by ingame TOMEchat) but there's a TOME thread that might be better. Unless there's a particular reason people aren't using it?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Space Bat posted:

:pwn: Should I have included something about Call of Duty and regenerating health to make it more clear I was joking?

Jokes... don't work in this thread. There are too many people that feel that wait and you failed to make the joke blatant so people assume you're serious.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MrWillsauce posted:

You can also find altars to Beogh in and around the Orcish Mines and begin worshipping him as you would any other god.

It's been that way forever, but getting to the end of the mines a-theist is difficult and you've killed your best source of orcs to build your following and it takes a while to build up piety.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Stelas posted:

Elona knowledge is gained from years of anime exposure. I still have a complete list of First Steps for an elona character to get them seven league boots, a big stack of evolution potions, a bigger stack of superior material scrolls and a happy bed.

This would be appreciated.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For those who like nethack (asking seriously) what do you like about it? Comparing it to something like DCSS, I don't see where it's better except it's more "free" in what you can and need to do.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is there a mod for FTL that tells you the % outcome for your choices? I put it down when the game was a few months old and I recall all that stuff was on the wiki, if I wanted to play again I'd have to re-learn my intuition about them or look them up each time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

alansmithee posted:

So after having it sitting in my library, I've actually started playing ToME recently. It's pretty good so far-the combat and the way everything is cooldown based is something I'm enjoying.

I have to say though, having so much locked is super-lame. I get the whole not wanting to overwhelm players, but otoh that should be something for individuals to decide. And it's not just classes, but races and even talent trees? And a bunch of the unlocks are just super-grindy for no reason. Really puts a damper on the game when you read about all these race/class/talent combinations that you're nowhere near getting.

On the other hand, if Yeek Solipsist was available from the beginning ~1/2 the posts about tome would be "there's way too many options for new characters." Instead of 1/4.

There's a lot of cool stuff you can do as the starting class/race combos and if you really want to you can unlock everything by adding some lines to a text file.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sorry you can't stomp on the level 1 boss with level 6 dudes.

Yea it sucks the game makes you play the game.

Please stop arguing in bad faith.

The "my dudes leveled up right at the end of a run so now they won't fight the boss I was preparing them for" issue sucks.

The tedium of re-playing the game to get a new batch ready for the boss that wiped out team A because team B is focused on clearing groups quickly and both of your Lepers are out of commision anyway, it sucks.

Darkest Dungeon was fun but no thank you to playing it more.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Anyone know Sword of the Stars: The Pit? Full controller support and sitting on my couch with that sounds good

Please don't buy and play it. It is not a good game. I'm phoneposting but basically the crafting system creates a suituation where you are destined to die and don't know it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It was a joke. Most everyone here feels like there were lots of cool things about dredmor but playing the game is tedious.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
No, Noxico was finally recognized for the genius that it is and Big Roguelike couldn't stand the idea that people would stop playing games with original design docs twice their age.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Awesome, this is baffling coming from you because you're always so accepting of others having fun. So how about this:

I find seeing new things and areas in DCSS fun, but if I die before finishing the lair every time then I'll get bored and stop playing. Knowing this, I intentionally play slower and closer to optimal for my character so I'm less likely to die and more likely to see fun stuff. However, even though my end-goal is fun, playing optimally is hella boring a lot of the time in DCSS so I complain that exploring everything right is boring. See: MuSu

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sproggiwood is all three of those things. It is a good game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, especially with the Road to Legend expansion has that feel. One player runs the monsters and traps using the cards he's dealt and the other 4 try to complete their objectives with randomized loot. RtL added a campaign made of smaller random maps strung together with various metagame bits in between.

That was exactly what I was going to say. I've taught Descent a couple of times and it's trying to emulate the feel of DnD without the hassle, but it really does a good job of being a board game roguelike. There's another game that had a really generic name that I've seen friends teach that was similar to a bad roguelike, complete with "every action has a 1/6 chance of killing you." I'll see if I can't ask around and remember the name.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

UberJew posted:

That sounds like Warhammer Quest, which is also definitely a boardgame not unlike a roguelike (and is bad because of it)

Nope. I have that on my phone and I think I've played maybe an hour total though, not a fun game.

Rutibex posted:

This is Talisman: The Magic Quest game, and it is the most Rogue-Like board game of all.

Nope, although i can see with that description you would think that. Talisman is an awful game that I once had to teach 5 times over the course of a weekend. I appreciate both of these comments, but I'll just ask a friend the next time we're together and post it.

dis astranagant posted:

"Without the hassle" is an odd thing to say about a game that usually takes an hour to set up and that pre-RtL always took the better part of a day to finish.

i meant more in the meta-game aspect. Scheduling a weekly or bi-weekly thing that takes 4+ hours was a nightmare even when we were all teenagers. Descent really felt like it was trying to emulate DnD without being an entire "campaign" in the traditional sense, or at least a lot quicker if that's what you were looking for.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
MuSu in dcss is a great way to spend 20 min trying to kill a gnoll and then getting shafted and dying to a hydra. It is a good way to learn patience.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

deathbagel posted:

When I read the word "Broguelike" I immediately pictured an ascii art based open world adventure where you have to search a ruined city for the best baked chicken recipes and gather top notch gym equipment so that you can make the sickest gains over of all of your other apocalypse surviving bros.

Is it too late, madjack???

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I am a huge fan of mechanics like this in general, and not just in roguelikes.

That said, ToME4 does something similar with the starting dungeons: once you've beaten the first N (2, I think?) entering any of the starting dungeons gives you an option to warp straight to the dungeon boss.

It's a warp to the last level and it's based on your character level, but yeah.

Funnny coincidence, the dude behind Tome (DarkGod) is a real cool guy who listens to criticism and thinks critically about systems in roguelikes. I'm not saying they're the same person but if you look at the evidence...

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
ToME has both a "what's a roguelike" mode and a "I'm not good at roguelikes but I like them" mode. Leveling some of the simpler classes isn't too bad either but you nay want a guide anyways.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Hey can I get an invite to the roguelike discord? I finally have that stuff setup and it seems like a good idea.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I don't think that's the best idea. I mean, seriously, you will be there forever...

Too late, you should've said that on the last page.

Thanks madjack!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Samizdata posted:

That was more a joke about at least one version of your nick?

Yeah, just funny that I joined the discord, came back to the thread and the top of a new page was a warning!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

I've played Crawl off and on for a year or so, and I'm just now getting my first rune. :swoon:

Congrats! Your second rune will come pretty soon. I think my first win was about a week or two after my first rune and I had only collected like 6 runes total.

I keep meaning to set up a time to get goons to play webtiles and hang out, but my weekends get eaten by other projects.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

LordSloth posted:

https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg - Goon crawl discord.It's better than ##gooncrawl on IRC.

Thanks for this, now to find some weekly free time.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 10, 2017

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Slash'em is cool and all, but has it even won roguelike of the year?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If you took a break from the crawl thread, there's some buzz about an earnest go at a fork. It's here if you misplaced your bookmark.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If you treat elona like stardew valley for a couple of hours, you'll have a lovely farm and a nice home with a happy bed and you will be a happy snail. Thanks for reading my review of elona!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Slay the spire has been getting some hype lately and I don't think it has been mentioned here.
It's a deck building roguelike that tries some new things compared to dream quest and monster slayers.

I watched my roommate ply this last night actually and it looks polished and good, but a but bare on content. There's three floors afaik and it doesn't seem too difficult to get to the third. There are two playable characters, which is a bit slim. I'm going to look back into the game in the summer and see if it's fleshed out. Promising, but not quite there yet.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've tried to get into TOME a few times and bounced off, is there any good beginner guides out there?

On my phone, but this is the gist:

There are a number of good combinations for race/class, but generally picking stuff that makes sense will take you far. Dwarf Bulwark, Shalore (elf) Wizard, the like. If you're ever unsure of how to level, you typically want 1-2 nukes, then to flesh out some utility talents so you have options in bad situations. Likewise, a new player won't go wrong by putting two points into their primary damage stat, and one into constitution. It's not optimal, but it's generally safe.

There are six beginner (tier 1) dungeons, let's see if I recall all offhand:
Trollmire
Ruins of Kor Pul
Scintilating Caves
Rhaloren Camp
Heart of the Gloom
The other one (so close!)

You'll want to hit all of them and kill the bosses, after a couple you'll start on the final level and it'll go quick. After ~2-3 of them you'll want to go to dearth south of Kor Pul and speak to the man who shouts at you in the north of the village. Fight in the arena and get two generics. You'll get the hang of the world map, if you go into a place and it gives you a line about the danger, just leave and come back later. No sense in wandering jnto the elven ruins and getting pincushioned by a level 35 skele archer. After you've done the T:1's you'll do the tier 2 locations, then essentially follow a chain of dungeons through the final big fight of the first half, the Master in Dreadfell.

There are a couple places where you specifically want lightning or
cold resist, but all resists are useful. If you're stumped, take a look at other characters in the vault and see what they're doing or ask here.

As a final note: don't underestimate Cornac.

e: here is the ToME thread.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 21, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mithross posted:

You win by finally killing yourself so well the computer can't bring you back

The wizards ghost howls in anger as you dive into the orb of annihilation!!!
Your body is de-materialized into nothing!!!
You have died!
PERMANETLY

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Was I reading in this thread about Everspace? It somehow ended up on my wishlist and it looks good, but I'd like to know peoples opinions on it before grabbing it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chinook posted:

Renowned Explorers is like 4 bucks on Steam. Any thoughts on it?

It's good, definitely worth $4. I know some folks have issues with replayability though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My game is like Rogue in that it is played on a computer.
My game is like Rogue in that it is winnable.
My game is like Rogue in that it requires you to make decisions.

I think that accounts for just about every game.

IVAN fails at least one of these. Nice try.