Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Speaking of Elona+, here's the current thread! (even has a new version post on the last page to go with it) - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Oski posted:

...damnit. I knew that. I tried it for an amulet of adornment and the description wasn't helpful so I forgot about x when I was trying to work out that staff.

Amulets of Adornment are 100% useless (adorning is a fancy reference to jewelery). They're slightly less harmful traps than, say, Amulets of Inaccuracy (as seen in Crawl) and Amulets of Strangulation (sometimes seen in *bands I think), but they exist purely to frustrate.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Played it already, Candy Box was better. :colbert:

Having finally finished it, I have to agree. It was even a better ending!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, Occult Chronicles is really really good. I wish there were more horror/Lovecraft themed roguelikelikes.

It's taken me longer than it should have to realize it, but Occult Chronicles is basically a cleaned-up version of Arkham Horror. Incredibly great for that (and oh god can you imagine a multiplayer sequel? I want to give them my money already).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Binding of Isaac is a dollar on Steam right now. If you haven't tried it yet and you have any fondness for action roguelikes or whatever you want to call them, you'd be crazy to pass it up.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah, Flash was not meant to handle such an expansive game, and unfortunately it definitely suffers for it. Still better than the average candy bar.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Oh really? From the game description it said that True Men were the easy mode starters. I have absolutely no commitment either way, toss me a good mutant started build and I'll put that to work immediately.

If you are very concerned about the low toughness, you can replace Burrowing Claws with Ego Projection, but once you get rolling you should be sundering (animal) minds and lasering everything else.

Major advantages:
1. In combination with the loot from the three chests not directly attended and thus safely lootable (after closing the door behind you!), you are nigh-guaranteed the ability to acquire a bow or rifle, which will complement your agility and mental powers nicely.

2. Nigh-guaranteed ability to level up immediately by giving away some of the artifacts you started with or found in one of said chests to Argive for a quest (obviously don't do this if the artifacts in question look more useful than a grenade).

3. High ego means you won't have to invest any points into mental mutations (such as Light Generation and Sunder Mind) for some levels, more if you boost Ego once with your first attribute point. Instead the mutations will automatically level up as your level increases until they reach a level of 1 + your ego modifier; once you reach a level where you could increase the skill past that level, you'll be permitted to invest in the skills.

4. Enough agility to make bows/rifles/pistols/short blades trees possible to invest a bit in and dodging possible.

Things to be careful about :
1. You're a glass cannon, do be careful not to let any bastards break you. If you're having big problems even at level 2, go east of Joppa for glowpads to kill and glowfish to eat until you get the extra edge to handle snapjaws after you give Argive some artifacts.

2. Don't forget to heal up after encounters! Holding 5 is a great way to die, press 1 (listed as D1 to differentiate from the numpad 1) instead.

I have also heard Carapace is pretty damned great and competitive with actual armor once you progress it far enough though, so you could easily build around that if you prefer melee. Also I'm sure dis astranagant has Opinions on how to build up a laser freak properly so fair warning that this isn't optimized or anything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Made some adjustments based on feedback...

I'm never too fond of having less skillpoints to go around, and the possibility of breaking artifacts makes me slightly unhappy, but there's a hell of a lot to be said for being a 16+ av laser turret.

e: Welp, took too little agility to be able to butcher, that clearly isn't going to work too well. Shift ego down one and then you can take agility and intelligence up a point maybe?

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 31, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not really an expert either, I'm just trying to play with numbers and make them look bigger.

e: CoQ

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 31, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Caves of Qud sounds interesting but where are we supposed to DL it these days? The only link I saw on google was to a three year old post on your forums.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Darval posted:

Been playing some CoQ again recently. A few questions I can't find answers for anywhere though. Playing a True Man Tinker, you always start with the Telescopic Monocle, does it do anything at all or is it just something to sell?

Also, was making my way along the river back to Joppa from Red Rock, and I found what appeared to be a dead miner. He had a miners's helm that provides a bit of light, some food, some parchment with what appears to be flavor text, and a sweet negative weight sphere. I was a bit excited to see he had this though:

But I can't get it to work, not even if I equip it and try to attack the walls. Anyone know if it's just vendor stuff?

It works if you attack the walls with it equipped, it's just really poo poo at the job. If you have a spare skulk injector or are playing a mutant with claws/a power that can destroy walls there is no reason to keep it vs. using either of those when you want to break some walls.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Personally I like to drop all my items next to traders, that way I can be hilariously overburdened with trade goods and water that I'd otherwise have to sell or carry piecemeal. Generally that's probably better for Grit Gate than Joppa but I've had a wandering trader stick around in the same place for a while who had very expensive and handy toys in stock so I liked doing that sort of thing for him when possible.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Citycop posted:

I just started playing DCSS. I heard about this guy named Sigmund and figured he would kill me when I found him, however, My Troll Bezerker wearing a blue orc robe went berserk and chopped him up with bare hands and ate him raw. He was annoying as hell and apparently very tasty.

You're lucky he didn't get a working Confuse off on you. Those make trollzerkers prime targets for magic scythes.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Trog adds magic resist based on piety in addition to the invokable magic resist+regen, I thought?

Admittedly I played a lot of Trog trolls before the Trog rebalance. That said, does Sigmund still have a chance of spawning at level 2? That's a 'fun' time even with the rebalance (if you haven't learned even a troll isn't strong enough at that point for him, that is).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Harminoff posted:

SO here's something if you like roguelikes and oldschool fps games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVPXV99Dhqw

That looks kinda fun, I liked Doom: Fall of Mars and this reminds me of that.

e: release date was supposed to be late November, now I'm hoping it didn't die the same way Fall of Mars did

e2: developer apparently deletes negative comments on his Greenlight page, now I'm betting he took his ball and went home like Phil Fish

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Last stated update was in February. Very likely totally dead.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bringing something completely different up for a change, it seems Prospector has a new website and has been recently updated. I recall trying it a while back but didn't do very well at it, pretty cool idea though (getting rich by exploring space, trading with/shooting aliens and so on) and I'm gonna give it another roll.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Unormal when are we going to be able to buy Sproggiwood? I want to give you my :10bux: already!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'd be okay with a maze roguelike that had a geomancer protagonist. Run into a dead end? Disintegrate the wall! Got an inconvenient grouping of walls and foes? Rotate that part of the maze! Also perhaps if you stay on a level (e: or stand still) long enough you get a sense of the layout in addition to the map you can find if you're lucky. Wouldn't guarantee it was actually any good but it would at least be a fair way to introduce meaningful choices to the maze exploration.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Anyone have any opinions on Our Darker Purpose? It looked like a reskinned Binding of Isaac but I thought it looked interesting for the abilities you could buy in between runs and the different aesthetic.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Unormal posted:

Dynamic lighting:

Better unexplored fog:

So glad this is coming along nicely.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I remember the early video of gameplay you posted to Youtube (don't recall if you posted it here or if I just found it whilst wondering what you were up to recently after the end of the Trespasser LP). I would also be totally stoked for a playable demo (if that's not available an up-to-date timeline/planned features list would be cool too).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Awesome. This looks fantastic and I can't wait for it to get released.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You can't find it on Steam because while it was greenlit it doesn't have a release page. Most likely because there are no public releases finished yet. ;)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Similarly interested in preordering here.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Someone lurked that last one. Oh well... :smith:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Has there ever been a Mario-themed Roguelike? I was randomly perusing this thread and something made me think of a roguelike (or roguelike-like) set in one of Bowser's castles, or modeling something off the Pit of 100 Trials from Paper Mario 2.

Sprites and tiles would be a necessity, of course :yoshi:

That seems like it'd either end up as a Super Mario World hack or a Super Mario RPG hack. Someone could make that without going those routes but unless they had some brilliant way to distinguish their work from both styles while still being Mario and had someone willing to art for free or something it would just be (theoretically) saner to try hacking the existing ROMs into a roguelike form than invent something from whole cloth that wound up playing the same way as either. Otherwise there'd be the very legit complaint that there's no reason to just play that when it's less fun than the ROMs in question.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I think there are some things you can't kill without it impacting your alignment as well maybe - you can't kill anyone in Attnam without becoming more chaotic, for instance.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

* Can confirm the basic archer shot going through walls and not needing clear lines of sight, it's quite nice but also broken.

* Warriors aren't as hard as archers and if you think I'm wrong even after playing archer you aren't taking cleave with your charge (and also aren't very good at roguelikes). If you need an easier time even so, try a thief - by the time juke fails to kill the first time you use it you'll have improved juke and turn what other classes call a quick road to their death into dances of slaughter anyway.

* I'd love trying to avoid all damage for a dungeon as part of some kind of special challenge, it'd really push the boundaries for those of us who fancy ourselves more hardcore roguelikers (even though I'm sure I'd lose that challenge a lot).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

hand of luke posted:

Thanks, everyone, for the Sproggiwood well wishes. You god drat roguelike masters who blazed through it -- you were instrumental in us choosing to bump "normal" down to "easy" and "savage" to "normal" --- we want to push a real "savage" mode out at some point.

I cannot wait to die in that mode, godspeed. :patriot:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I never played the old-school Wizardry/M&M style games, or the newer ones like Grimrock, but this looks kinda interesting.

That said, I would love a good FPS, not FPP, roguelike. Eldritch didn't really do anything for me and I haven't heard much good about the other ones I've looked at either. Ziggurat and Tower of Guns look like they have potential but I'm kind of cautious now.

Receiver is older but quite good.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

victrix posted:

I kind of get the feeling I need to play DoomRL some more. None of what you guys are talking about resembles anything I remember :stare:

If you don't remember tiles either you need to go download the newest version now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Does CoQ have any tilesets? ASCII burns my brain but the character gen has me so intrigued! :(

No, but I think it's decent enough that you should at least give it a look first:

...and if that still hurts here is a palliative (if out of date) vision of the future:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

I did look! I just don't have it in me. Oh well, someday.

Well, when Unormal gets his ducks in a row after Sproggiwood we'll likely start to see pictures of the new CoQ game and the warm fuzzies will flow for all. :3:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i beat crawl :smug:

once :shepface:

i beat crawl in like 0.3 or so when DEFEs could easily go mad with power and MD was the fighter tankyman du jour and never again managed it

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Invisible, Inc. isn't out of Early Access but someone mentioned it upthread and after playing through a level I can definitely say it is a drat fine stealth roguelike. The pressure mechanics are great, even the first level will just straight up destroy anyone who gets careless because guards are deadly when characters are in bad positions and even when you haven't touched anything just waiting slowly ticks up the alert level. There's ways to get out of bad spots but they're limited and blowing them ratchets up player panic in that wonderful way that makes the experience really memorable, like a really tricky fight in Crawl only not because there aren't any 'fights' per se here. You can deal with guards by staying out of view or behind cover... except sometimes guards cover each other with their viewing fields and you'll have to wait for them to pass by before you can go on that way, and time passing = possibly another notch or level added to the alert. You can instead zap guards from melee range, but you only get one charge per agent and it takes three turns to recharge... which is exactly how long it will take for the guard to wake up unless you have a character pin them. You can also cheat death somewhat if one of your guys gets seen by a guard despite your precautions by running into a square that isn't watched (i.e. noticed or invisible), but if all the squares next to them are watched and deep red, your agent will be instantly killed as soon as they move. Did I mention you only get two at the beginning? There is one rewind for the absolute no-escape time, which is great since it rewinds to the beginning of your previous turn and thus eliminates dead man standing scenarios where your agent begins their turn watched by two guards in a room with no cover and so forth, but it's the only one you get, possibly ever in a game session, and if/when you lose it it's a wake-up call to get it together or else. Very tactical, very clear, and quite punishing for failures - it's really really nice.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I liked ASCII Sector, but other than the graphics I don't remember it being any more rogue-like than Privateer. Has it changed much?

Development for it is dead actually. Last version was released in March 2012 (0.7.1.4). It's a shame since it had real promise what with there being work on making it possible for players to create their own missions as well as combat in towns complete with called shots.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm going to wait since I'm not on Linux or Mac and I also kind of want to actually throw money at you for your hard work this time around since I got Sproggiwood free (not sure I ever properly thanked you for that, thank you!)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'll buy 2 if it's out by Christmas :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

brother-joseph posted:

I'm going to be honest - I tried the demo and couldn't figure out how to do anything. I started in a room with two icons - one that said Investigate and then one Unlock in front of a door. After about a minute I gave up since I couldn't get how the hell I was supposed to have my team interact with those. Am I a gigantic idiot or is this not very intuitive?

Do you mean the technical demo? Because I don't see any demos on Steam, and btw they removed the links to the tech demo for being way out of date so that may also be your problem.