Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hey guys I know what we should do, let's argue about the definition of roguelikes :hurr:

But for serious, I'm a bit burned out in games that require loads of studying after playing EVE. What's a recommended roguelike that doesn't require a huge time commitment to even try to play? I'm craving something tough but relatively accessible. (and Nethack isn't quite cutting it :gibs: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I care less about length and more about accessibility. Best non-roguelike example I have is Hotline Miami. The controls are easy to pick up, but you die constantly, and there is loads of depth to the combos you can execute.

Thanks for the suggestions. Might download Doom and ToME to try.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

EvilMike posted:

If you want an accessible, streamlined roguelike, you could start with Rogue. There's a port called ClassicRogue which adds some basic sound effects and graphics, and some other conveniences. It's a short game, there's not a ton of stuff to memorize, etc. The controls aren't as streamlined as some games, but the number of actual commands is quite small. The trickiest part is learning how to identify items, but the system isn't nearly as byzantine as Nethack.

Problem is I've already beat it at least once if not twice ( :smug: ) I just keep losing focus with all the control options in Nethack.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 7, 2013

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

I think Brogue probably fits the bill the best. (Nethack being the worst if you don't count things like IVAN.)

Hah. I found IVAN to be fun in that impossibly hard way. Getting your arm torn off, grabbing it with the other, and beating the creature to death with it before dying of bloodloss is amusing as hell.

Edit: I also forgot about this zombie rogue survival game I played. That was easy enough to control, just slightly buggy and difficult. I should go back to it.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2013

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Length should really be a consideration for someone new getting into roguelikes, some of them are really loving long. For most of the long ones, the middle part of the game consists of just keeping concentration over many hours and not making a silly mistake.

I'm pretty experienced with roguelikes, I'm just super burned out heh

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Considering my love for Tolkien lore I might just have to grit my teeth and try Sil. That sounds insanely immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The Rougelike Megathread: This ASCII is insanely immersive.

Or flavorful, or lore friendly, whichever you prefer :colbert: