Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kyfow posted:

Anyone else play it? Have you figured out reliable (non cheating) ways to not die within the first 5 quests?

Also gently caress bogeymen.

First: Stay out of the open at night.

The following is really exploity, grindy and boring, but works (although you'll never-ever want to play adventure mode again):

- Craft sharp rocks and throw them at the ground below you until you are a legendary knapper and thrower.
- Sneak and swim at the same time in a safe pond/river until you reach a decent level at both skills and gain more strength/agility/toughness. (Speed is critical, and so is the weather - avoid getting encased in ice)
- After that, get a shield of some sorts and as much armor as you can. (there ought to be some in a lair or sewers). Use your sneaking skill to avoid conflict.
- Find a small creature that can't harm you (sneak up on it and grab it with the hand that isn't holding the shield), set your combat settings to wrestling and just let it (try to) attack you until you're tired from blocking/dodging. Kill it, rest, find another creature, repeat.
- Grind weapons skill. I don't think I need to explain to you how to do this.
- At this point, get a few companions if you want to, but not too many, since the size of bandit ambushes depends on your reputation and number of followers.

Slowly work your way up, gaining more skill and loot. Avoid human enemies, since a single lucky crossbow bolt from behind can kill even the most seasoned adventurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

That link is going through Facebook, I assume you wanted to post this:

4.07.3a

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Geokinesis posted:

It really is hard, especially when relationships decay and/or you get one of those special events.

Or, worse, your only competent survivor is black, and everyone else is a racist. They die so fast. :(

The main problem with the game is that it's poorly paced. Your options are really limited if you want to get anything done fast enough to evacuate, and if you manage to barricade yourself up in the center fast enough without your survivors murdering the poo poo out of each-other, you've pretty much won.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

And not really a roguelike, to be honest. A good game nonetheless.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's a pretty good FTL thread here with lots of excellent advice, if anyone needs some.

3 neat tricks:
  • You can pause and think/micromanage while the game is paused. This is very important and useful, and you should do it.
  • You can run away if the enemy stronger than you. This is very important and useful, and you should do it.
  • You can make node-links visible without being in the node, it's in the game options. This is very important and useful, and you should do it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Anatharon posted:

What's with the giant paintings in Rogue Legacy?

They're previous games the developers worked on. Stand beneath them and you'll be able to interact.

That's all they are. Nothing else. At all.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Edwhirl posted:

So on a completely different subject, what is the longest and most involved roguelike any of you've ever played?

Life.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ahahahahaha, what the gently caress!? How the hell did this happen?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

My first Sword of the Stars: The Pit game has been put to an end by Raging Cyborg, Scrap Hulk and Protean (Medium) killing my level 22 marine on the 28th floor due to the complete abundance of medical stations and medical supplies since the 26th floor. Time to try out other classes.

Abundance?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slaan posted:

In a more Sci-Fi/space sense, sounds like Luck is a rechargeable shield and hit points are the unhealable 'hull' points on a space ship.

Someone's been playing too much FTL these days. :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

FTL is RNG Fuckery: The Game, yes. You can be proceeding along thinking you're doing well, and then bam, the next encounter is a fight with the perfect counter to whatever build you have and you can't run away. Complaining about this in the FTL community tends to get uncomprehending responses from people who like getting hosed by the RNG.

In FTL, it's either an immediate fuckup, or a long term miscalculation that kills you. Most of the RNG fuckery is actually the result of a player mistake. Like, for example, not taking the ridiculously cheap upgrade to piloting to serve as a damage buffer and ending up a sitting duck with nothing to do but die as soon as something hits that room. The enemy didn't "get lucky" - that shot was a certainty in the long run.

The only really bullshit RNG part is in the very first sector, where a string of things your ship is weak against is impossible to counter in any way, because you haven't got the tools for it yet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

..btt posted:

I agree with cock hero flux, it was the point I was trying to make earlier. Perhaps the reason a lot of people in this thread don't enjoy FTL that much is because it's not a roguelike, as in, it is not much like rogue at all. For a start it is not turn based which makes playing it more akin to an action game. Completely different skill set required from nethack or crawl where you can carefully consider every move then execute it perfectly.

Permadeath and a few random elements doesn't make a "roguelike". Not that that's a bad thing. I like FTL.

While you probably make a good point here, my serious FTL runs are mostly spent in pause mode. Every time something unexpected happens, you can just press space and have all the time in the world to think about your next move and give orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zombie Samurai posted:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Also, the whole point of the game is recreating something like this in video game form:

:cthulhu: Mr O'Fixit, we have incoming explodium torpedoes, why aren't the engines working at full power yet?
:awesomelon: We're giving er all she's got captin!
:cthulhu: Not enough. Divert power from life support on all decks except 1, 4, and 5 to the engines. Helmsman, defense pattern Theta.
:pilot: Roger, roger, brace for defensive maneuvers.
*fwooosh*
*boom*
:cthulhu: Damage report!
:supaburn: Torpedoes disabled our starboard weapons! Fires on decks 2,5 and 14!
:cthulhu: Mr Token, take ensign Redshirt with you and board the enemy ship. Your mission is to provide as much time as possible for the repair crews to do their job.
:black101: It is a good day to die!

It's necessary in a thematic way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There are physical differences between the two genders.

Making a massive derail with a one-liner. :golfclap:

madjackmcmad posted:

I should take this opportunity to remind everyone that Dungeonmans offers Male, Female, Beast, and Who Cares? and said genders are sprite independent.

This might be a silly question, but have you considered making Dungeonmans available on GOG?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

German Joey posted:

God I hate this thread so much.

What did you expect? "Welcome, player"? "Make yourself at home"? "Play my roguelike"? You've got to remember that these are just simple gamers. These are people of the lard. The common clay of the new Internet. You know...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My biggest problem with conventional roguelikes is that I lack the patience to play them properly. I know what I need to do, and how I need to do it, but at some point the tweaks and strategies and estimates I have to make to survive begin to feel like I'm playing an infinite city sprawl civ game. The optimal strategy is mind-numbingly tedious. Crawl suffers from a bad case of this, for example. In the end, I either have to win by spending hours not having fun (hell no), or I spend an hour or two having fun only to get frustrated because of a loss I technically could have prevented by being tediously conservative (gently caress that).

Fast paced roguelikes like FTL and the ones that allow some sense of legacy between (failed) characters are fine, though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nettle Soup posted:

Questions:

1: Is this land owned?
2: How far are we from our goblin cave?

Pretty far, actually. Take a turn left at Paradise Lost.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The link that launched a thousand flamewars.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

brother-joseph posted:

This looks very interesting. Has anyone played this or Zafehouse Diaries? I had never heard of either one today which makes me too nervous to impulse buy either one.

The few times I played, I'd always get one competent black survivor and a bunch of incompetent racist morons who'd kill him/her before the zombies even tried to cause trouble.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Poison Mushroom posted:

Not really, you just have to treat the damage roll like a really sad bell curve.

I love that description. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Roguelikes thread: Did we mention Dungeonmans and Necrodancer?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Poison Mushroom posted:

Posting the game in this thread was a good idea. :3:

When is posting in this thread not a good idea? :v:

Now watch someone start a loving "what's a roguelike" derail

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Klaus Kinski posted:

Pausing to redirect power to engines whenever there's an incoming shot is so loving stupid I started hating the entire game.

Then don't do it. I've had fun FTL games with very little micromanagement.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's pretty much required and intended for hard.

That you're right about, which is why I avoid playing on hard.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

The singing shopkeeper is glorious :allears: Is there a way to acquire a standalone version of the soundtrack that is entirely accompanied by his singing? Because I want that.

Quick Youtube search for 'Necrodancer singing shopkeeper' says YES.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkOnC-dJ1E

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wafflecopper posted:

Faster Than Light question: What's up with the halberd beam? For the first couple of sectors I thought it was the best thing ever but once I started hitting enemy ships with two shield layers it started doing nothing at all. It didn't say it missed, but it didn't do anything to their shields either. Does it only work against a single layer of shield?

Beams do the stated damage minus the level of enemy shields. The idea is that you're supposed to deplete the shield with some other weapon and hit them with the beam before it regenerates.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I still think Haifisch's Chaos Knight of Order run in Crawl is the most hilarious roguelike-related thing on the forums.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I like selling stuff. :(

Uncharted Waters II is one of my favorite old games. (Not a roguelike, but has some elements I wish someone would apply to one)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A fairly easy way to take some of the set item problems away is to greatly increase the chance of finding (other) set items from the same set as long as you own at least one piece of the set, and even more if you're actually wearing a part of the set.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I actually spent a while thinking about the general problems causing by randomness of loot and item properties a while ago, and thought up a sort of a dungeon/item generating/crafting system to provide both a new gameplay mechanic and the ability to deal with the worst of "I specialize in X, but can't find a good X-gun" issues without forcing the game to try to guess what the player wants.

So, imagine a warrior priest, let's name her Carrie the Hatchet. She hunted down a bunch of bandits and monsters, looted a dungeon or two, found some good armor and a lot of cash, but just can't seem to find a two handed battleaxe that isn't a rusted piece of poo poo. She decides to visit a nearby tavern and has a chat with the barkeep, listens to some rumors, beats up a drunkard or two, stuff like that. She learns about the Temperance, a two handed battleaxe, worthy of an experienced(lv 9) adventurer. It's rumored to inflict fear on those in its vicinity, and it burns with the fire+5 of its wielder's passion and zeal. Naturally, such a powerful item isn't just lying around in a store. It's the prized posession of Porkfeasti the Drunk, don of the Ogre gans operating out of the frozen caverns of Hungry-La. If she wants to seize it, she is going to have undergo a perilous journey to reach those caverns, fight through a gauntlet of ogre warriors and swarms of their pet bbq-ghosts, and finally duel the mighty Porkfeasti himself.

The mechanics of this basically being that the player is allowed to "craft" an item, but instead of paying for it with money, gems, magic, or crafting components, they "pay" for it by beating a dungeon generated based on the item's traits - with monsters of a level appropriate for such an item, themed based on any extra abilities given, possibly a dash of additional player input, and copious amounts of randomness and procedural generation.

There's plenty of scenarios that would be possible to keep these quests fresh without significantly changing the mechanics. Hidden in a tomb of an ancient hero, reward offered by a monarch for performing a certain task, forged by a legendary smith should the player be brave enough to venture out into a doomed mine to look for the perfect crystal they need to finish it, it's all basically go into dungeon->kill stuff->get loot, except the player has been given a degree of control over the end results of the process.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The real question / problem you need to solve is this: how can I make sure the player gets exactly what they want, within a reasonable timeframe, but still make it exciting, surprising, and challenging to get it?

Actually reducing player control of their build is bad. It's all about the illusion (and keeping a good risk/reward balance which isn't an illusion but helps contribute to the feeling that you aren't just grocery shopping for the Sword of Asskicking +5.)

I apologize for repeating myself, but:

my dad posted:

I actually spent a while thinking about the general problems causing by randomness of loot and item properties a while ago, and thought up a sort of a dungeon/item generating/crafting system to provide both a new gameplay mechanic and the ability to deal with the worst of "I specialize in X, but can't find a good X-gun" issues without forcing the game to try to guess what the player wants.

So, imagine a warrior priest, let's name her Carrie the Hatchet. She hunted down a bunch of bandits and monsters, looted a dungeon or two, found some good armor and a lot of cash, but just can't seem to find a two handed battleaxe that isn't a rusted piece of poo poo. She decides to visit a nearby tavern and has a chat with the barkeep, listens to some rumors, beats up a drunkard or two, stuff like that. She learns about the Temperance, a two handed battleaxe, worthy of an experienced(lv 9) adventurer. It's rumored to inflict fear on those in its vicinity, and it burns with the fire+5 of its wielder's passion and zeal. Naturally, such a powerful item isn't just lying around in a store. It's the prized posession of Porkfeasti the Drunk, don of the Ogre gans operating out of the frozen caverns of Hungry-La. If she wants to seize it, she is going to have undergo a perilous journey to reach those caverns, fight through a gauntlet of ogre warriors and swarms of their pet bbq-ghosts, and finally duel the mighty Porkfeasti himself.

The mechanics of this basically being that the player is allowed to "craft" an item, but instead of paying for it with money, gems, magic, or crafting components, they "pay" for it by beating a dungeon generated based on the item's traits - with monsters of a level appropriate for such an item, themed based on any extra abilities given, possibly a dash of additional player input, and copious amounts of randomness and procedural generation.

There's plenty of scenarios that would be possible to keep these quests fresh without significantly changing the mechanics. Hidden in a tomb of an ancient hero, reward offered by a monarch for performing a certain task, forged by a legendary smith should the player be brave enough to venture out into a doomed mine to look for the perfect crystal they need to finish it, it's all basically go into dungeon->kill stuff->get loot, except the player has been given a degree of control over the end results of the process.

The player gets exactly what they want, within a reasonable timeframe, and it's exciting, surprising, and challenging to get it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

madjackmcmad posted:

The other side of this argument is "My game idea is superior, it's really elegant and clever, players just need to realize that" and while I'm sure someone out there can make a case for it, that poo poo is way too ivory tower academic for me and feels like the opposite of fun gaming.

I think that line of thinking can have some merit in some very specific situations. A bit of a wider issue than just roguelike, but for example a lot of people instantly close all tutorial popups, advisors, and every other possible means of being notified "hey, this game has a mechanic that is a bit different than other games in the same genre", and are then horribly frustrated at the game when the inevitable problems occur. (I sometimes watch an episode or two of LPs to figure out if a game is going to be worth my time, and LPs of new 4X games are absolutely hilarious/infuriating to watch because of this exact problem.)

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 8, 2016