Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I am going to give Sil a try. I recall reading people talk about it back in the old thread, but I never gave it much attention. I read the manual and played the tutorial so far and I quite like how streamlined the whole system is. We'll see how well that translates into gameplay.

As for Dwarf Fortress - I haven't played this in years, is the adventure mode an actual thing these days? Cos I remember back when I played it was mostly there just for show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Could it be that the kid literally meant that the class was "like a rogue"?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Soo, is there any LP of Occult Chronicles that I can go read (or preferably - watch)? I know there's one linked in the OP, but I'd prefer to watch the game played by someone who doesn't have ADD and can actually read.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Caves of qud tiles. Please. I will never play anything else.

This. Do this.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

The colored version is miles better, since the browns look a lot less stark and don't hurt the eyes as much.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

MrBims posted:

and Dungeon Crawl are going to be finding things to eradicate to make their setting more

What, you mean the game with the sentient cat, octopus, giant insect, gargoyle, orc made of lava and living vines races, and the slime god and god of being slow?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Oh hey, lots of posts in the Roguelike thread, maybe someone has shared some interesting new....oh wait.

As it often happens on the Internet, I have to just sit here and wonder - is Turtlicious just taking the piss, or is he really that stupid and uninformed?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

I will now completely ignore the "define a roguelike" discussion and ask a question:

Is this here the place where I can find the most recent version of Caves of Qud, and if not - could someone please provide me with a link? I want to give the game a try. (well, another try, since the first time I tried it I exited the local map to the world map and the screen went batshit insane with random symbols and the game was basically unplayable)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Unormal posted:

That's the latest public version, but you're welcome to try the private beta: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

Batshit insane with random symbols just sounds like what the world map looks like.

Well, unless they are also supposed to rapidly change color and sift between several symbols (and follow me along as i move through the less LSD-driven terrain), I think it might have been a problem with the map not generating properly. Thank you for the link though!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I always thought it was about saving money on art assets :shrug:

That's because it is.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, maybe I'm just really poo poo at it, but I tried Bear Hero and it was just awful. The controls felt clunky and I always felt like there was a delay between me pressing a button and the action actually being performed. I tried playing it several times, and I always end up dead because something always manages to hit me before I hit it, at which point I can't attack and I just get hit again and die.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Man, I really wish I didn't suck at CoQ so much! The game just seems like the kind of thing I'd absolutely love, but I can't get anywhere when I play it, and then I just kind of die. And yeah, I've done all of the powerful builds suggested here, I'm just bad at it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Beating the first half of ToME is actually very easy, and mostly consists of two steps:

1. Make a summoner.
2. Don't die in the first half an hour.

At least that's how I did it anyway, then again I haven't played ToME in at least two years so maybe things have changed? What ultimately defeated The Monkey Queen (yes that was her name) was the most sinister thing of all - boredom. As in I reached the second continent and then just got so bored I stopped playing the game altogether. I have yet to ever actually win a game of ToME, though I imagine that run would probably be capable of doing it with minimum fuss, considering that very little presented any kind of challenge once you start being able to just fart out dragons and hydras at anything that looks at you funny.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You played a Summoner, no wonder you were bored.

There are a handful of classes that are designed to be dull and one-dimensional so that people who've never played a roguelike don't get overwhelmed (mostly the classes that start unlocked by default) and Summoners are the worst of the lot.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Oddly enough, I tried to make Solipsists happen several times and somehow manage to fail at what was, at least at the time, hailed as basically the most OP and broken class in the game. That should really tell you something about how good I am at roguelikes! (not very)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Lil Hunter summoning IDPD actually makes him quite a bit easier, though-he can't attack for a couple seconds when he's doing that animation, just like landing, so it's one of the 2 times you should be unloading on him. He was much harder before he had that ability because of this.

The fact he doesn't do contact damage anymore (Well he hasn't done that for a while now) makes him infinitely easier than he used to be, because before he would just land on you, shave ~2 HP with his flames and then just jump on you and rip your face off with his contact damage before you can do anything.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I think I quit Nuclear Throne. The game is fun but dying every time to Lil' Hunter isn't.

Just keep at it, and you'll get better. Took me something like 35-40 hours of play before I even beat the Throne. Lil' Hunter is only difficult for a while, then at one point you beat him. Then you beat him again. Then suddenly he's just another speed-bump on your way to the Throne. I would also recommend watching some youtube videos of people who are better at the game - ideaot, SleepCycles and others are all good players and watching them can teach you a lot. I'd recommend watching SleepCycles' videos because he actually explains stuff (half the time. The other half he just talks about...stuff) and his decisions in the game. I've learned quite a bit just watching the guy.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Awesome! posted:

one thing i dont really like in deathstate is how the time's up mechanic on a level works. you get the message and then randomly like 30 seconds later you just start taking damage out of nowhere. i much prefer to have something chase me like spelunky

Uhm, that's not how it works. Once you get the message a cloud of death that deals damage to you starts creeping up from the lower end of the level, upwards towards the portal. If you remain in the cloud, you take damage. If you move out of it - you don't. This is, in fact, one of the few non-arbitrary things in the game.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/events/369385976727151

This is happenng. Any of you goons dropping by Eastern Europe at around that time? Ifnyes, we should totally make this a gathering opportunity.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Hey, since there's talk of Slay the Spire going on, I might as well come out of lurking and throw in my two, unasked-for, cents. Now just for reference - I've logged in 131 hours of the game, according to steam, and I've beaten the game several times as well (I can't tell you how many, because I play with the beta branch, and I think my stats might have been wiped or reset at least a few times. The in-game stats seem to imply I've only played for 56 hours and didn't even count my 3 Silent wins I had before...)

So, in short - I like the game, it's fun, and it's quick. I like that, I like that it's short. I know a lot of people seem to be for adding either an endless mode or making it longer, but honestly I think those should be separate from the usual play mode of just 3 stages and then being done with it. For being still in Early Access and cards being added, removed and radically changed every week or so, the game supports a surprisingly large amount of viable strategies for each character, which I have to say I am really impressed by.

I do think the game needs to have some things filled out a bit like, maybe make some more interesting monster encounters, and possibly make The Silent a bit more fleshed out (Right now her starting relic is basically the same as a common one you can get from a chest, while the Ironclad gets what I am convinced is hands down one of the top 3 relics in the entire game, with the option to then upgrade it to make it even stronger). She can become quite powerful, of course, however I find she needs a lot more specific cards and good relic drops to be able to take on some of the final bosses, while the Ironclad, even in his ore convoluted builds like the Barricade+Body Slam ones, mostly just needs 4-5 specific cards and then can just steamroll through basically anything. (And strength-focused builds can become bonkers as early as the end of floor 1!)

What the game really can benefit from to keep it fresh is the third character that seems to be in production, and possibly buffing some strategies that are clearly present, but way too convoluted to bother with in their present state.

In conclusion - I just died to the Time Eater while being 1 turn away from killing his slug rear end for two games in a row now. That guy sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Fellis posted:

Does the Time Eater have a gimmick aside from ending your turn early? I had Necronomicon + Offering + Whirlwind and some energy potions and did like 320 damage on turn 2 to kill him before he did anything :smug:

That was a super fun run, necronomicon is so drat broken if you have a thin deck and a decent 2-cost attack. I think skipping cards that don’t contribute anything to your main engine is the biggest factor in Slay the Spire.

In comparison to Monster Slayers, StS is definitely better looking, more strategic, and there are a lot moe viable decks/builds to shoot for. I got mad watching a streamer suck at it and it was definitely worth $12 or whatever

Well beyond the turn ending thing (which can be a problem sometimes, depending on your draws, but usually isn't) his main gimmick is doing way too much damage way too loving often. Sometimes it's not an issue, in these two cases - a bad draw at the wrong time means I lose instead of win the run. That's just the nature of card games, of course, so not much one can do about it.

Also doing an overpowered Whirlwind is absolutely one of my favourite ways to play the Ironclad, in fact that's how I beat the game for the first time ever.

EDIT: And just as I was writing this I saw the beta branch has updated, and there is now something called "Ascension Mode" added. So go nuts people!