Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyfow
Aug 5, 2013
I'd like to help out with a basic description of Dwarf Fortress's adventurer mode.

The key points of DF's roguelike mode is that the world is randomly generated, with separate regions, factions, monsters and fortresses for each new world. The game acts as a survival simulator in a (potentially) hostile world, and has you eat, drink and sleep in order to survive. It's also an open world roguelike, having no real goal aside from gaining a reputation, taking on the biggest enemies, getting stronger and getting better gear.

The game has a seamless "travel mode" and "exploration mode", the former allowing you to move relatively fast across the world, and the latter letting you explore the specific surrounding. The game also has a pretty expansive (and brutal) combat system, allowing you to tear apart your enemies, break their bones, disembowel them, gouge their eyes out and much, much more. As always for DF, however, losing is fun, so don't expect to survive very long.

I LOVE the concept behind Dwarf Fortress's adventurer mode. I just wish that it wasn't as broken as it is (the Goblin Child kicked you in the head, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!). I wish they'd expand upon the game mode, give it more quests, more spells, ways to craft weapons, and so on.

Anyone else play it? Have you figured out reliable (non cheating) ways to not die within the first 5 quests?

Also gently caress bogeymen.

Kyfow fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyfow
Aug 5, 2013

EvilMike posted:

I've tried adventure mode but it's really half baked compared to fortress mode. You sort of just wander around without any real goal except to explore. Character development is mostly limited to stat growth, you won't find great loot unless you raid an old fortress, so there's not much of a progression feel. It's a low magic setting, so no spells - but there's not much to make up for this. There's a fairly elaborate melee system, but in general you don't need all those options. Just pick whichever attack move is likely to get an instakill, and ignore the other ones. Etc.

What makes adventure mode very interesting is that you can explore old fortresses, and the idea behind that is very cool. Even though the gameplay is lacking, being able to explore the ruins of stuff you once created and get a sense of how it fits in the world justifies adventure mode. But as an actual roguelike, it's a bad one. Without fortress mode (which is a city builder game), it's just not able to stand on its own for very long.

Some new stuff was introduced in the latest patch that made it more interesting. You can get magic in the form of becoming a necromancer, exploration of cities and their dungeons was really expanded upon and there's usually a lot more to do in the world. It's a pretty good game to dick around in, but generally speaking if you're looking for that tight progression feeling, then it's not the game for you. I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think it faults the game to a severe degree.

Also, protip, nothing is quite as cool in the game as mining some adamantine in fortress mode, creating some masterwork adamantine sword or whatever, and unleashing that hell into the fortress, and then exploring that fortress in adventurer mode. It really gives you a sense of purpose, and it serves as a sort of endgame goal. Because once you acquire said weapon, the game pretty much breaks, you can kill almost anything in a few hits.

Kyfow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 6, 2013

Kyfow
Aug 5, 2013

my dad posted:

First: Stay out of the open at night.

The following is really exploity, grindy and boring, but works (although you'll never-ever want to play adventure mode again):

- Craft sharp rocks and throw them at the ground below you until you are a legendary knapper and thrower.
- Sneak and swim at the same time in a safe pond/river until you reach a decent level at both skills and gain more strength/agility/toughness. (Speed is critical, and so is the weather - avoid getting encased in ice)
- After that, get a shield of some sorts and as much armor as you can. (there ought to be some in a lair or sewers). Use your sneaking skill to avoid conflict.
- Find a small creature that can't harm you (sneak up on it and grab it with the hand that isn't holding the shield), set your combat settings to wrestling and just let it (try to) attack you until you're tired from blocking/dodging. Kill it, rest, find another creature, repeat.
- Grind weapons skill. I don't think I need to explain to you how to do this.
- At this point, get a few companions if you want to, but not too many, since the size of bandit ambushes depends on your reputation and number of followers.

Slowly work your way up, gaining more skill and loot. Avoid human enemies, since a single lucky crossbow bolt from behind can kill even the most seasoned adventurer.

Great tips, also an important thing to remember is that travelling in groups is usually a good thing. There's a reason why villagers tell you to not go out at night alone. The bogeymen (who are these swearing, incredibly annoying demon things that come out to pester you at night and DON'T FEEL PAIN, making bludgeoning weapons completely useless, short of bashing their brains in) only bother you when you travel alone, so before you go to any long distance quest, find the nearest fortress and ask the soldiers to join you. You're still unsafe at night, but at least you won't be harassed by those god damned bogeymen.

Kyfow fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 6, 2013