Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have...fun? :confuoot: Man, alchemists are not my idea of a good time. "Here, you can make anything you want, but it's boring as poo poo to do so."

Nethack, not TOME, but: The Dev Team have devised a clever and cruel punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chakan posted:

For those who like nethack (asking seriously) what do you like about it? Comparing it to something like DCSS, I don't see where it's better except it's more "free" in what you can and need to do.

Honestly? (Of course speaking only for myself...) A lot of it is a combination of nostalgia and familiarity. I've only ascended half the roles, but I more or less know the game like the back of my own hand. Sometimes I'll have to look up obscurer things or stuff I forgot, but after playing Nethack a lot as a kid I've memorized a good chunk of Dylan O'Donnell's spoilers just by playing and looking them up again and again.

So? It's an easy thing to fire up when I have ~15 mins to burn, if I die a ridiculous early death well "that's nethack! :v:", if I get a good start in the Mines I'm pretty sure I can get to the Castle if I don't do anything stupid. And if I don't, it's usually because the game found a really nice way of loving me over :D

I like the inventory mechanics, the combat is OK although the game has a few weapons you'll more or less want eventually, though which ones vary by class. I like the variety of enemies and all the crazy special attacks, and how unpredictable an experience this can generate. (And going back to the first point, how this presents challenges to my knowledge of game mechanics!)

And like you said, in Nethack there's usually a fair many ways of skinning a cat, some roles even go so far as to make this a gimmick to winning the game.

And I like all the dumb jokes and references. :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Awesome! posted:

there are multiple strategies for defeating the flagship. the rng in ftl is all in the shops and sector layouts and poo poo. the skill comes from adapting your run to what the rng gives you.

I am not drawing any comparisons here, but this post reminded me of something I didn't include in my previous Nethack-fan-post: Adapting to what's thrown at you.

My favourite Nethack game these days is rolling a Tourist. They're a role that's more or less a tabula rasa: They can do most everything, but they suck at everything right out of the gate, too. So you have to not only survive the first five, ten levels of the dungeon (granted they're given a usually generous starting inventory vis a vis perishables), you have to figure out a long-term plan based on what you find there. Eventually it's possible for most characters to shape themselves into whatever you'd like, at least if you don't mind scumming behaviour, but a realistic game plan for the first half of the game rather depends on what loot you meet in the beginning for the Tourist. Certain weapon types open an instant path for a later-game strategy, a lucky spellbook or scroll might make your game, and there's always the small chance of an early game wish. A wish which still isn't trivial since you're not guaranteed either offence or defence by that point!

Basically, it's randomness at its best and at its worst. It's great to find something cool early on, but it's also a fun challenge to work around a really crummy start.

(Again, not meant as a direct comparison to FTL as the games are structured very differently arc-wise.)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

shas posted:

My first roguelike and really only one I've played more than a few hours of (until recently, when I've been playing DCSS pretty heavily) is NetHack and on the basis of that and the thread title I've been playing some Rogue today and yesterday

and this is only tangentially related but I wonder if anyone here knows: does the finger that you put a ring on (right or left) actually matter for anything? The only case I can think where it might would be if you put a ring on your weapon hand, then wield a cursed weapon, making you unable to remove the ring from that hand.. but I don't know if the game actually checks that. Or is it just a holdover from Rogue, which also asks you to specify a hand that you wear a ring on?

This is a very marginal thing but I think important for the hungerless conduct,

quote:

every twenty turns, you lose one point of nutrition:

for each ring you wear (the turn that this is calculated is different for your left and right hands), unless it is a chargeable ring and is at +0.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nethack: ;

FTL: Those gosh frigging darnit rock men who invade you in a Sun system event without an enemy ship, I mean what in the even :mad:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

crab avatar posted:

Exactly what I thought when I saw that post but I was like "eh I've only ascended once, what do I know"

Knowing the end game better wouldn't really impact the choice that much, the enemies there mostly represent tedium rather than danger. Monster cursing your stuff so you have to spend more time on inventory management, so on. There's a couple of dick move types you meet like the Wizard himself or Demogorgon (you usually have to make that one intentionally appear though), but the earliest levels of the dungeon already have things that will randomly poison you to instadeath or shoot pure death rays at you :shrug:

I guess green slimes are a bit of a shock first time, but you're almost guaranteed to have something to fix that problem by that stage. Just gotta know it first! :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

ADOM keybinds: At Least It's Not Nethack

Nethack did nothing wrong :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Every single person here is an apologist for some bad game.

Nethack is a fantastic game, sir :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

T. Bombastus posted:

But this Potion of Heal Minor Cuts and Scrapes from the first dungeon might be just the thing I need to defeat the final boss!

I don't know for sure; I've never seen a final boss in a roguelike, because I hoard consumables.

As the regular defender of the other classic, Nethack, hoarding is definitely a strategy that's viable if not downright preferable after the early game; I do it to a fault and it gets very tiresome after you amass enough STUFF since you have to keep juggling things in your bag of holding (or even worse the Sokoban stash or similar). The inventory list for my ascensions tend to be pretty long, and some of it is definitely bloat, but I can't imagine doing usual shenanigans like alchemy and mass blessings without at least some hoarding.

Most posters will tell you Nethack is a terrible archaic game that hates your guts and they're not wrong, but some people enjoy that experience!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does anyone else think that the Sokoban puzzle levels in Nethack are a very weird design decision?

I get that there's a nostalgic classic feel to them now, but imagine if they hadn't been made, and then someone suggested "Hey, I bet QUD would be way better with a bunch of sliding block puzzle levels."

It's an optional challenge for a random chance of one of two great items, that can be completely ignored in a playthrough. :shrug: Also part of Nethack's design philosophy was to throw everything and the kitchen sink in, as the saying goes. There's a lot of weird nerd references sprinkled all around the place. Some of the alchemy things are puns for goodness's sake :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I've made a game that's perfectly balanced in every way, and if you kill 1000 bunny rabbits outside the starting town, one of them will drop the best weapon in the game. Totally optional, so it's fine, right?

Assuming it takes hours and can't easily be delegated to a robot, up to you I guess. As I've said before, Nethack is a horrendous old game that hates the player, but I don't see how Sokoban of all things is a scandal since you can get the bag and the amulet in the game in many other ways. Some of the arguably easiest if tedious ways are far more scummier, too, if you're willing to invest a lot of time in them. This is a game where Demogorgon can be summoned randomly by some bosses, a stone block puzzle as a breather is benign. Also it has more food than other parts of the dungeon :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mithross posted:

It wasn't "Is this a scandal?" so much as "Isn't this a weird thing to put into a roguelike?"

And yes, a sliding box puzzle is in fact a bit weird to have in a roguelike, but meh

Sure, I understand that it is weird, but it was added in 3.3.0 I think, when the game already had all the crazy shenanigans with literal kitchen sinks and fountains and such. As per TooMuchAbstraction's example, there's a non-zero chance of getting a massively advantageous item as a level 1 character by messing around with a fountain (and a much higher chance of being murdered brutally). Sokoban on its face is odd, but as an addition to a game with all this crazy non-sense already in it, meh. Maybe this is the nostalgia disclaimer :v:

edit: The boulder pushing and hole-filling mechanics were already there, so it wasn't that much of an addition except for the restriction on diagonal movement.

Olesh posted:

My favorite dumb Nethack thing is that if you polymorph into a metallivore, you can eat metal weapons. If you consume a trident in this way, you get a special message ("That was pure chewing satisfaction!") and it exercises your wisdom.

I believe this is a reference/pun of an old US chewing gum brand. Hence the wisdom bit, I imagine!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Isaac posted:

Steaming with rage as nethack makes me play a female valkyrie

It's not impossible to become a male Valkyrie, however :science:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ranter posted:

It was some goon. I reaped tons of karma posting it to /r/dataisugly. Don't have the original any more and it was deleted from imgur.

:pcgaming:

(No, I don't remember who made it either)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dislike metaprogression but I don't think it disqualifies a game genre-wise. Crawl and Nethack have player ghosts, which are basically reverse metaprogression, and I think in Nethack you can even take their stuff?

In Nethack the ghost spawns on top of a pile of the dead player's entire inventory, but most of it is cursed so you have to deal with that somehow. Ghosts themselves aren't dangerous and don't use any of the dead player's equipment against you, but I can't remember if vampirized dead PCs do for example.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Neurion posted:

Looks like it's 343. This is rear end. poo poo was fun until Gehennom and then it just became a slog.

Gehennom has been known as a bad endgame for a long-rear end time, that's why so many variants add stuff or change it around somehow. That said, in vanilla you're probably best off finishing your ascension kit before going down there, and then more or less racing through to the bottom and then back up. Preferably digging beelines between stairs as much as you can prior to murdering the wizard, at least if you're lawful. As to your particular predicament, the only consolation I can offer is that the vibrating square's location is limited by the space needs for making the moat post-ritual, and I think it can't be on a direct path to the stairs either, so you 'only' have to investigate all the hallways that are far enough away from the level borders :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nethack is a smorgasbord of bad game design choices, but I grew up with it and this thread needs more love for it and thank you to Lawman Zero for bringing it up :colbert:

(My first ascension was a tourist and that's my Nethack story, thank you all for visiting)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

:sweatdrop: phone posting got me again.
Anyways I think I somehow managed to snag 4 wands of death.

I am definitely a hoarder in any game, but I'm not sure if it's just me that tends to wind up in the endgame (assuming I make it there!) of Nethack with a full inventory page of wands that I rarely even use.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

:hmmyes: Also effective note taking and checklist making.
Anyways I just cleared castle as a dwarf valk, I vaporized my wished up (early wand of wishing lmao) SDSM by accident should I just go and reverse genocide some silver dragons for a replacement? I still have my speed boots and stuff as well but I'm still real butthurt about being stupid about enchanting. Also what should I wish for? I can provide info on my stash and stuff but I do have access to a poly wand and some other cool stuff like that.

You're lawful so there's only so many artifacts to wish for (this post will be a huge spoiler btw), Grayswandir is good as pointy things go. I guess the Mitre of Holiness or Orb of Detection are OK if you want some of the protections they confer. These will blast you since they're not meant for you. You could just as well blow a wish on a dragon scale mail, unless you really want to kill a few silver dragons, not that they're a problem for you at this point. I personally usually go for gray dragon mail, but with SDSM you leave your neck free so eh. (Make sure you have some source of magic resistance that won't be taken by covetous monsters before Gehennom!)

If you're really hard up on things to wish for, you can just get something silly like blessed spellbooks that are good for valkyries, or a helm of opposite alignment if you want to improve your odds on the Astral Plane.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That said, in my experience wishing for the staff of Aesculapius is one of the better uses for a wish for neutral wizards, that thing is pretty drat handy and you don't need to swap your weapon around that much. After they've gained a few levels of course, the blast can and will kill low-level characters.

In general, wishing for artifacts of your own alignment seems to me to be a good use of the castle wishes, assuming you're not missing some vital non-artifact thing from your kit due to sheer bad luck. This is kind of why neutral characters have a slight edge, most of the decent intelligent (blasty) artifacts are neutral.

(My first ascension was with a tourist :unsmith:)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Jesus christ how did you stumble on a mind flayer?

Mines generate random h and guess who is one :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

So I got a question about eating rings in nethack. Is it actually worth it if I have polymorph and poly control? Also are there any other good things I can with self poly to prepare for the endgame?

You can get the good effects from eating corpses. Unless you want to do something weird with polymorph-itis, or something.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Gonna eat some rings of increase damage

Handing out damage isn't really your problem in the end-game, it's dealing with all the bullshit that liches, Rodney etc. throw at you. I mean, sure, it helps if you can one-shot sea-monsters, but eating rings isn't really going to do that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

So it's really just a stupid ascension trick?

Well, it's not the stupidest, but I'm not the person who tried to have a gaggle of giants hoarding my gems for my ascension, so :shrug:

(Spoilers: This ended badly)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jazerus posted:

as long as you know your core ascension kit nothing else really matters that much

more damage can't hurt tho. you do have to cut through the room at the end to get to your altar.

Right, but which is a better use of a wish, the Monty Hall option or +2 to damage? Just saying.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I ascended that valk honestly I was spending alot of time dicking around with it because basically the ascension was (mostly) a cakewalk after I got out of gehennom.

Congrats!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

FIQhack is a very nice and modernized variant of nethack tbh.
It's taken alot of QoL features from crawl and others and balanced out some of the crapshoot stuff. Things like having magic chests (that share an inventory) for stash storage, autoexplore, a real piety system, a generally improved UI (with a loving SEARCH function :worship:) and a re-balancing of spellcasting and wands is pretty cool. I suggest that everyone should give it a go imo.

I'm not the only frequenter of this thread who ages ago actually printed out not just the Nethack guidebook, but most of Dylan O'Donnell's spoilers too? :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Just got crushed by the castle drawbridge, feeling great. :thumbsup:
Anyways I'm checked out, I'll do a write up of my other two ascensions in a couple days.
But seriously that was loving awful.

That's still just a textbook YASD, it's not like you lost all your gem-carrying giant slaves or something :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No Wave posted:

I dont think thats what nrook meant. I think it's more that if you can't lose early you're just having your time wasted and ideally there should be more risk/reward mechanics in the early game that make you stronger in the later game.

If the first third of each run is easy and there aren't ways to endanger yourself for profit it just plays itself out.

This is why tourist is my favourite role to play in Nethack, the very earliest bit of the game is at the same time most dangerous/challenging, but potentially most rewarding, since the tourist is basically designed to be at the mercy of whatever gear the RNG decides to throw your way. Sometimes you get a really cool weapon early on, or good armor, other times you just get brutally murdered by DLVL 2! And the process of getting potentially murdered only takes like fifteen minutes of playtime or so.

(Usual disclaimer that Nethack is hard as balls no matter your role in the early part, and is... Not the best place to look for game design ideas from a modern perspective)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah but otoh tourist probably has the best quest artifact in the game

Right, but that's the point, you can't get that until the mid-game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Magitek posted:

Guys, quick, this is important: Are there any Roguelikes where you play as/have the option to play as a bee?

You can turn into a bee in Nethack, but it's not permanent and also probably wouldn't be all that interesting to play as.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jeza posted:

when will we get the Discworld roguelike we deserve

One of the character options in Nethack is the Tourist, and you even get to meet Twoflower, if, you know, you don't get killed before that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nethack has a luck stat / score that influences a lot of event outcomes and such, and there's many ways to raise or lower one's luck over the course of the game. That said, it's pretty much under the hood and I don't think it can really be abused to make absurdly good runs, but it's still a good idea to try and keep it high just to keep the RNG from kicking you in the nads every second turn.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

resistentialism posted:

but what else could someone with a tin of ogre king meat wish for?

A can opener? :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Phigs posted:

I thought I was immune to the takes.

Most of the stuff you can find is cursed anyway, so it's a... Cursed take?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mithross posted:

I love ADOM dearly but a lot of that love is from having put the requisite hundreds of hours into it back when I had fewer game options. Also from just accepting I was going to need liberal amounts of spoilers. If I tried to start from scratch now I doubt I'd get into it.

This is basically me and Nethack. I would say that in my personal opinion Nethack is the 'best' old-school roguelike, but as a kid I looked up and memorized a lot of spoilers, and I've muscle-memoried the game's fairly obtuse command system / UI. The game has a lot of obtuse, weird references (try eating a trident and see if you get the joke, etc.) and the 'meta-progression' of figuring out which things will just absolutely obliterate you, be it enemies or weird interactions with items, or whatever, takes a long time. I can play the game now and find it fun, but I honestly don't think it'd be a good or fun gaming experience for someone with fresh eyes sitting down with it today. Unless they specifically enjoy the kind of process learning old roguelikes is like, but as far as I understand it, newer games have stream-lined the process a lot, and it's not like you're exactly missing much not experiencing the joy of digging through 20 levels of Gehennom mazes, or ADOM end-game nonsense.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

i personally feel like adom has nowhere near as much wiki checking stuff, but i also haven't played much nethack. i also thiiink it probably isn't all too much longer? how long do typical nethack runs take, anyway? My ADOM runs wound up at 10 hours, but that was with me being a slow player ontop of using tiles mode which makes things even slower. Watching negarretep just play ascii casually on stream he just kinda pulled in a sub-5 hour win without really trying hard at all.

Nethack is probably around that mark, maybe a bit longer depending on what you do, but the game infamously has a) massively backtracking through the entire dungeon you've already seen once 2) god-drat Gehennom, which is literally a dozen+ dungeon levels that are single-tile-wide-corridor mazes, which you of course also have to back-track through. The game length is IMO much inflated due to this, even though the ascension back to the top is made at least theoretically more difficult. But then some of the difficulty comes from things that simply add to the tedium! I love me some Nethack but hot dang is it also a mess in some ways. ADOM's overworld, several dungeons etc. make it look and feel like a bigger whole, at least to me.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nrook posted:

The ascension run is fun and doesn't take more than 15 minutes unless you really botch it, but yes, hell is very bad in NetHack. It sounds like ADOM isn't really much longer, if at all, if players typically win within 10 hours.

It kinda depends on the RNG. And obviously you can prepare for it beforehand, especially by digging Gehennom into straight paths, but that's just tedium in a different portion of the game :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can I complain about how dumb I am for playing roguelikes in here? Because I'm gonna.

I only recently started playing Spelunky (the first one), because it was cheap on Steam and I like hard platformers like Hollow Knight. Okay, fair enough, this one has roguelike bullshit on top, so it should be my bag, right? I've now spent well over a hundred runs trying to get the shortcut to the Temple open. I would like to explore the Temple section more, just for fun, using the shortcut. Well, the previous shortcuts were all relatively mundane, and I stumbled onto all of them more or less by accident anyway. This one, though? You have to go through the whole drat thing up to the Temple, carrying something from the first section of the game. That may or may not be easily available to you, depending on level generation RNG. Admittedly some of this is my fault, I suck at dealing with bats and frogs, but carrying that item around also makes it doubly difficult to rescue maidens, or attack normally. I've had beastly runs where I've had like 30 bombs, but I still can't reliably make it to the end of the Jungle, and don't even get me started on the Ice Caves.

I know this is supposed to be the roguelike experience, and I keep trying this over and over again, but :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

perc2 posted:

There are tons of new and interesting trad roguelikes, I think Roguebasin will give you an idea of some of the stuff people are making. I made a list of the best new ones to the space some months ago, but I can't find the post. There's plenty to explore though, looks like even old Moria is getting updates!

This one?

perc2 posted:

Apologies but we can do better for "hot" than an ancient version of ADOM ;)

Try:

Demon, a monster collecting roguelike with Shin Megami Tensei vibes: http://demon.ferretdev.org/

Shadow Of The Wyrm has got some decent meat and bones on it now: http://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/

FrogComPosband is the latest hotness in disgustingly ridiculous *band variants: https://github.com/sulkasormi/frogcomposband/releases

If you want the same insanely overdeveloped thing but in a Nethack flavour, try Slash'EM Extended: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash%27EM_Extended

I think TGGW doesn't get enough love, mainly because it's like the spiritual successor to Incursion: http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

Infra Arcana has Lovecraft vibes to the max: https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

You've probably heard of CDDA, but just in case; it's really fleshed out now and has a big community: https://cataclysmdda.org/

Finally Sil-Q, which although it's a *band variant, plays absolutely nothing like a *band and is an actively developed continuation of the legendary Sil: https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases