Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Skwee posted:

Yeah I tried it out after someone mentioned it in relation to my idea of permadeath pokemon type games, and from what I played it didn't even have permadeath, and when all your monsters did die, you just get teleported back to the main room or some poo poo and you get to play some more with all your monsters back to being alive. Also after every battle everything gets healed up. So I mean it wasn't really what I was looking for, but others may find it fun.

You can set it to be Hardcore where death is permanent, along with other things like not reviving dead monsters will make them lose xp and reincarnate into a random different monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Awesome! posted:

monsters following me around like in dragon warrior monsters is extremely my poo poo

Another one of these I tried out was Demon http://demon.ferretdev.org/. It's like a SMT: Nocturne style where you fight but have up to 3 monsters with you with more in stock. They can teach you skills and they teach skills to each other etc. It's still early and it needs more polish/features but it might be worth following.

Current version download: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-sx_4eW-B5hWnhNZlRPclZLeUU&usp=drive_web

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Incidentally ToME and DLCs are 75% off on steam for ~40h

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kanfy posted:

This changes my entire paladin worldview!

Your faith and belief transcends logic and reason.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Geokinesis posted:

I've been playing lots of Siralim and thought I'd offer some advice:
  • Pandemonium Coins can give good and bad effects but the worst will throw you into a hard battle. If you don't want to risk gameover (playing on permadeath ofc) wait till you have 6 creatures in battle to use them.
  • Sigils will always make you fight creatures, usually 6 at once so again wait till you can field a 6 creatures.
  • Don't gamble all you granite with the dwarves you really need it for rituals to get more variety of monsters and improving your smith and enchanter.
  • If you feel the current level is too hard you can portal back to the castle and use the shrine to start from a slightly easier level.
  • Artefacts are really important.
  • Exalted Emblems are used to buy useful/rare things. You'll need to find the shopkeeper who appears randomly in the levels, however once you speak to him he'll move into your castle war room.
  • Buy a pocket dumpling for 3 emblems, it is really useful.
  • Investing some of your royalty points in the Mage type perks is recommended as some can really save your arse. (Although personally Sorcery Mage perks suck as they don't affect your creatures.)

Also got some artefact boots that give an ability that every time the creature takes a turn it has a 50% to take another turn, insanely useful as you can just take so many turns in a row if your rolls are good. I've shoved it onto an Iron Golem which has the innate ability that every time it attacks it gains 25% more attack, sometimes it can singlehandedly steamroll the other party.

That ability is a creature ability (one of the ghouls gets it iirc), but yeah artefacts can roll with a permanent creature ability which can be insanely useful.

I'm still dieing a lot and getting gameover, have yet to even get to a level to use 6 creatures. But so is the nature of "roguelikes". Waiting with those sigils and Pandemonium Coins was definetely a lesson learnt :)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

LotsBread posted:

Is Starcrawlers any good? It looks pretty cheap and the way it looks does feel nice but I'm on the fence here.

It's got promise, but it is very much EA right now. Depends on how much EA you can stomach.

No story, no advanced loot/upgrade stuff, upper half of talent trees missing

It's got promise, but... EA

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Geokinesis posted:

I've not seen that ghoul yet. I'm pretty slow with upgrading the creature tiers as I spent lots of granite on other things.
Yeah artefacts are almost more important that creatures but drat such a useful ability, I'm sure there are other creatures with on hit stuff it'd also own bones with.

Haha first Pandemonium coin I used ended my first game, both my creatures 1 shot. Main thing to advance levels is know when to just portal and restart. (Also research sorcery world types as they have telescopes that give you exp for using, if you want creature exp research chaos worlds and touch the skulls.)

What mages have you been trying with? Also any particularly cool/irritating creatures?

I always do Nature Mage, because they are the only ones that can give xp to creatures in the stables, I've dabbled with Life Mages too though. It really depends on what settings you use and what comes important. The game can be extremely unforgiving sometimes with what it does, because enemies can wear random artifacts too (I've lost a run because of an artifact that causes doom). If you do random creatures per tier it can also lead to hilarious things, e.g. had a run end in the second dungeon because the enemy spawn had a Lich that cast Timebomb (puts a bomb on an ally and decreases their def by 50%, on next turn it randomly kills an enemy if you don't kill the bomb target).

I really love having a creature that does good things being hit while provoking. Taunt is really useful to keep your things alive. Gravedigger Mites are awesome for this (they literally cannot die unless everything else in your party is dead first, they always come back with 1HP and immediately get a turn when resurrected). I generally dislike the "natural" combos the game tries to give you, like the Imler/Imling or the smog dudes. Cool combo I had my last run: inflict burning (multiple demons do this single or multi target) and have the flame grasp dude make burning a 5 stack and permanent.

Some creature abilities can go horribly horribly wrong too. I'm looking at you Witch Doctor Ritualist... at start of battle he randomly switches a stat with you and your enemies, and most times that stat is to your detriment (this might be useful once you reach higher tier runs when enemies start to outlevel you)

I generally dislike spellcasting. I never focus on it or creatures that benefit from it. There's a mummy around that nullifies it completely from you and your enemies, I'll definetely use that when I see it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Unormal posted:

F6EQT-XN08E-WLL50

Thanks, got this one.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Recent good happenings:

Big new update for Demon, that one SMT'ish project: http://demon.ferretdev.org/

Sweet, thanks for the headsup on Demon

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lilli posted:

I just started a new game in Caves of Qud and not more than three turns into it Warden Ualraig murdered Mehmet, the watervine farmer who gives you the starting quest. What

This happened to me once too, no clue why

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

Man, I like FTL, but some of the events are bullshit.

LOL your pilot just turned hostile and attacked your crew, now you have two crew left for the last two zones.

Get hosed. <:mad:>

Always trust the spider aliens

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Whoa what, the new Monster Den game is on Kickstarter with only 9 days left?

drat, I loved that game and played it endlessly. Kind of sad that the kickstarter isn't doing too well, and that I only found it by chance.

I recommend the previous Monster Den games, you can find links on their website: http://www.monstrumgames.com/games/

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

This just showed up on my Steam catalog:

The Curious Expedition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358130/

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

The overland looks like a hex version of Prospector.

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/22/steam-the-curious-expedition/

Wasn't this free to play or a demo a while back ago? It was really fun for the short time I played it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

It was! To both statements.

Reminded me of Conquistador without the fancy graphics and combat. Felt a lot smoother with overworld too.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

DisDisDis, your new avatar is incredible.

I was really sad when he started wearing a shirt, but I'm glad the nips are back.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Serephina posted:

All this talk about not liking female protagonists in their Roguelikes - do those people not know that NecroDancer exists?

I checked out Necrodancer steam discussions, and there were no posts about "what is this SJW bullshit" on page 1. So I'm sad to report the protagonist isn't "a female". Tangledeep has a few of those topics, but they were all locked, so we should all scream "m'freeze peaches".

Are steam forums the new youtube comments?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fayez Butts posted:

Risk of Rain 2 is really good, especially with co-op. Just completed an 80 minute run with some randos and we all unlocked the Mercenary.

I'm glad I did that part with other goons on discord, because I cannot for the life of me do jumping puzzles. It unlocks it for everyone thank god

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

megane posted:

Technically, it's only called that when it's from the Roguelike region of France. Otherwise it's just a sparkling death labyrinth.

rename thread to Rougelikes or the original term comme des Rouges

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Undermine is also on gamepass if you have that already

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

They did nerf the bosses down a fair bit, I only got past Vlad before, but now most of them are doable at least. Maybe it's too easy? They were talking about a new difficulty setting after finishing day 3.

Axe needs a serious looking at, I usually feel compelled to take other weapon types. Being able to hit diagonals for free is insane, even sword can only hit 2 in front.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The biggest tip for Inkbound that isn't immediately obvious to new players: Your basic ability pierces/aoes. example: Dont just bind 1 thing as a weaver, position yourself and bind many things in one cast

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

Hev's Corruption virtue isn't a drawback. It's there so he can shoot down his own Sentinels at will in the Repair/Rearm build.

I agree that Austra is absolute trash design, though. She can get very, very powerful with the right setup, and you should take any blessing that causes you to deal additional Purification because it affects each hit of a multi-hit attack, but too often her run is ended literally in the first fight.

Hev corruption also activates the blessing that hurts enemies when you corrupt yourself/sentinels, and there is a sentinel that starts with vengence so you hurt it to empower. I guess there is also the die to heal sentinels to full and hurt all enemies for the difference but i was never tempted to pick it.

My go-to Austra strat (after failing with her many times) is: Dodge, Riposte, pick every die with "meteor" in it (edit: forgot about skypiercer). Look for any blessing that purifies when you corrupt enemies. Later on you can also put dodge on enemies (what) if you get the blessing that purifies them for some ridiculous 40+ or whatever when it gets dodged. With smokebomb that is a flat 75% without eating the dodge. Usually at some point I dont even look at enemies anymore.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

We have roguelite pinball and roguelite poker, what about Roguelite Billiard?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Llamadeus posted:

Can the new thread have an auto-scroll button so we don't have to manually scroll past patch notes?

Sorry that's considered an "auto-explore" and that's very controversial in here

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Super sad with the direction they took with the successor, but it's just not for me

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

the best part is it will autoaim way past the screen that is visible to you on big maps like bosses, so it will mortar the hell out of them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'm bad at the game, but after dying many dozen of times I finally decided to do a stupid run using the glassy fae staff. turns out it single handedly carried my whole run, all i did was pad out physical attackers and a way to make space with dispersion. Then just focused on pets to stall and defences I guess?