Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Are there any Roguelikes other than DoomRL than focus heavily on crowd combat and slaughtering hordes of enemies? I need something to listen to crappy power metal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DoomRL isn't even really one of the more crowd-focused roguelikes. You're gonna enjoy ToME, and especially as a Corruptor or Doombringer.

Thanks! IA and Sil have been crushing me recently so I just wanna carve through hordes of goblins while laughing maniacally.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dang, 250$ reward out for Tangledeep. I'll back the hundred bucks

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Well shoots, will do so.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I really want to thank Tuxedo for recommending me ToME. Gives me a fond reminder of Diablo 2 without all the dumb grindy bits. Also Brawler is probably the most fun unarmed class I've ever played in a roguelike or rpg.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Holy poo poo and I thought Dominions could have a stat overloaded insanity.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
What strategy should I go about when naming my character in ToME?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dang and I just wanted some silly names instead of getting all my names from Monty Python skits.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you're looking for a class that's relatively simple, but still interesting and ludicrously metal, play Cursed. Unlock Rampage as soon as possible and just rage the gently caress out for the rest of the game.

They feel more like playing Guts than the Berserker interestingly enough

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Does money have any real purpose in ToME?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I guess. The prices are so horrific that I only bought a rare rune or waterbreathing item.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
That makes me ask the question: What Roguelikes does money well?
I like Crawl just for Gozag.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Are there any good trash mob killing Roguelikes besides tales of maj'eyal and doom? I had fun with those.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Man I love Path of Achra because it fulfills the niche of 'weird ARPG builds' without having to sacrifice the better part of my life grinding xp and lootfarming

My last few wins was an ice elemental armor tank, a lightning katana user that destroyed everything via air slashes, a necromancer that creates explosive undead that endlessly heal via chain reaction, a cult leader that floods the screen with grass and snakes, and my personal favorite: a sentient worm colony that caused everything to die by sharing pain via psychic feedback. Since the dev did cite the hands-off Dominions/CoE as an inspiration it does make sense Path of Achra is much more focused on builds and 'choosing' your battles rather than high tactical play.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Captain Foo posted:

Nice! How’d the flail work out? I haven’t actually gotten a build that would make use of it to pick it up yet

I only picked it up for the astral resistance really. The most amusing thing it did was nuke one of my skelly servants for a quarter of a million damage though lol

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

GalaxyBounce posted:

Got my first Path of Achra win on my 3rd game. My strategy was mostly stand still and blast things with my mind, or pray and teleport away if in danger.

Nice! I really like unlocking the little lore blurbs. Pure builds are fun too!

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Lakbay posted:

Are there any other roguelikes with a Roleplay mode like Caves of Qud? I know ToME has something similar but I don't enjoy its gameplay. I put a whopping 70 hours into Qud after only a week of owning it because Roleplay mode is just the right amount of lethality for me and even if I die a new procgen adventure awaits without having to start from scratch and I could have an even more fun time :haw:

I guess CDDA in a way?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Captain Foo posted:

I think Astral Purity is the easiest, though i haven’t done it since the last few changes to the teleport powers. Astrohunting+projection+master teleport+Fawdaa should still be incredibly good, though

I'd say blood or death are the easiest since it's very very hard to die with the lifesteal. All the paths being different is what I like the most of it.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Kanos posted:

I feel like I'm missing something regarding Achra builds. I've won numerous times with various cowardly summoner builds that hide in a corner sobbing while my infinite tides of disposable minions kill everything for me, but whenever I try a more hands-on martial build it seems basically impossible to get off the ground due to either lacking durability or lacking sustainability. It seems like you have to spend a huge skill tax just to get over stuff like inflexibility tanking your speed to uselessness or simply just getting enough armor or block or dodge to not die, which in turn delays your offense skills, which means you're eating more hits to begin with.

What's the secret sauce to actually getting a melee fighter off the ground?

Tengu Asasssin of Tengri. Put points into agility and lightning stuff. There you go

Be sure to look for items/weapons that best complement your playstyle as well!

Amuys fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 1, 2024

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
But yeah, a source of healing is pretty much near mandatory whether it's a power, a racial trait, or prayer. There are a few items that give it too but having a panic button does come in handy often.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Achra demo's wild, I'm really enjoying it, was skeptical but am now a believer.

stupid idiot question: when would I ever want Inflexibility to be above 1? like sure, all the armor with Inflexibility 1+ is at least reasonably tempting, but halving my speed is not something I'm ever interested in unless I'm tanky enough that I should be able to win without the good armor. what am I missing?

e: oh the below reply also reminds me, are the various unlocks tied to specific requirements or are they just "get X total glory" or something?

Some stuff scales with it. Some builds that revolve around passing turns like Dreamer are also fine with low speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

SettingSun posted:

I enjoy glacier builds in Achra

This is one of the games where you can literally play a glacier too!