Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fwiw I don't think more complicated rooms and such will matter if you don't have enemies that actually take advantage of these more complex and varied generations. I've seen a lot of other roguelikes get hung up on arcane generation rules without addressing this underlying necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Where do I submit feedback/bug reports on Tangledeep? I'm enjoying the game but there are a few things I'd like to see improved or fixed.

Primary thing is once I turned on Thundering Lion there's no way to turn it off and my energy is being drained nonstop.

A couple of secondary things: item effects aren't described in the description blurb in the inventory. It would be good to be able to rearrange my skills on my hotbar, or even to remove them in favor of other skills.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gold actually becomes really important later on since it lets you purchase tier 5 randarts from a certain vendor -- and high level randarts in ToME are awesome and illustrate why I like ToME's loot in general.

Low-level trash might be kind of boring, but finding something like this:

is an amazing feeling

(especially early in the game, which was the case in that run)

I don't play TOME but my impression of this is that you'd run into the same issues Torchlight (and pre-rework Diablo 3) loot had where there were so many effects on any given piece of gear that it all bled together into a slurry of stats. Am I off the mark?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My issue with Dredmor is it's sssslllloooowwww.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I give them credit for this because I keep a small but depressing list of ostensibly really good games that I can't bring myself to play because the animations take so long, most notably the new Shadowrun and Endless Legend.

Endless Legend got a *lot* more bearable once I figured out how to turn the combat animations up to something like 5x or 10x speed. Doesn't work on the map animations though.

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be fair, there's an animation speed slider in the options

it's not super obvious but it DOES exist

This helps but doesn't fix everything else that's painfully slow about the game. Maybe I'm spoiled by Crawl.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh man, I hadn't tried Caves of Qud yet -- I never saw anything about the gameplay, and I hadn't read much about it otherwise other than people going "Oh it is so good". So I've had it overlooked for a long time despite picking it up a while ago.

In love with the aesthetic, themes, and world setting here. Haven't gotten too far yet but it's certainly a much different beast than Crawl and much "crunchier" (not in a bad way). Reminds me of C:DDA, in a way, but obviously much less of a sprawling mess.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A few questions for Qud:

1) How come sometimes while exploring a floor that I've already generated, the game will stop to do more generation (? I assume that's what it's doing from the text)
2) How do I permanently save ability hotkeys so I don't have to keep resetting Aggressive Stance and Defensive Stance to Shift+1 Shift+2 every single game? I gave them bad hotkeys at first and it always resets to these.
3) Other than following the quests is there anything I should be keeping my eye open for in the early game?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Qud: I went to the bottom of Red Rock, finished the quest, saw a side route out of the map instead of going back up the stairs. Now I've been hopelessly lost in this endless underground cavern for a long-rear end time now. I ran across a salt kraken like 20 screens deep and got the gently caress away. Is there any chance of me getting out or is this character doomed to become a Morlock?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holy poo poo I actually managed to escape from the Qud undergrounds (at level 10!) after idly playing on and off all day.

Thanks for your posts mentioning that there was a way out, I managed to stumble back across the Waterlogged Tunnel and then followed it for what seemed like ages before I found the legendary snapjaw at the end next to some stairs leading back up to Joppa.

Definitely never doing that again! If that happens again I'm just gonna take your advice and cheat my way back to the surface.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zirconmusic posted:

I know, I'm losing my poo poo

Congrats on going from not a developer to someone getting articles in PC Gamer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My monitor fried earlier this week and I got gifted Cogmind last night. This morning my new monitor arrived and I booted up Cogmind for the first time on a fresh brand-new monitor.

This game is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is there a key to bring all the item names back up onscreen in Cogmind? Hovering over each of them in turn is a little bit time-consuming, and I don't have all the icons memorized yet.

It is 3.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

admittedly I'm biased, but having played Crawl since the 0.2 days, I don't really miss too many of the stuff that's been cut over the years. Especially since a whole lot more, and hopefully more interesting, stuff has been added. The new gnolls are pretty cool!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

after multiple runs through Cogmind I made it to Research -3 and got swarmed by Programmers before I could find a way out.

I still don't quite understand what the heck I'm doing, and I wish tiles mode made the enemies look a bit more distinct (I'm still relying on the name popups), but the game's pretty good so far.

A couple things that annoy me is that I can't equip off the ground (or at least haven't figured out the commands to do so) so if my inventory's full I have to do the drop-shuffle to try stuff on, and that combat outside my FOV is still fully animated so once in a while I'll have to sit and wait while volleys fly that I'm not seeing. It only gets real bad when it's something like the squad-vs-squad combats in Mines, though.

Certain parts seem really tough to find, like hacking utilities which makes lategame hacking a nonstarter if you're unlucky enough to miss out.

The game is a visual masterpiece, though. It's easily the best-looking roguelike I've ever played, both in tiles and ASCII mode. You can tell Kyrzati poured a lot of love into the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One downside of a super dense GUI is that it's super easy to overlook stuff, and I see now the "Get Item and Attach" option in [2] Advanced under Control. I was looking at the Parts window looking for the equip-from-floor option and feel dumb now.

That's a major convenience now and I now like Cogmind all that much better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How do I deal with scouts in Cogmind? Seems like every time they see me, I end up fighting a trooper sooner or later, and killing that trooper triggers an escalating spiral of more and more security forces sent to deal with me until I drop dead from attrition. Even with Alert(Purge) on every terminal I see I can't seem to escape that death spiral.

If I try to just ignore the troopers sent to chase me, I have to deal with waiting 0.5s-2s (per enemy!) in between each movement for the animations to play out as they shoot at me and that gets annoying really quickly.

Shooting the scouts doesn't accomplish much unless I have a targeting computer, and I'm pretty sure killing it just triggers an escalation in the alert level. I could hack it with a datajack if I can try to catch them. ECM Suites are pretty rare to find.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reflecting on one thing from Cogmind that interests me, coming from having played Crawl for years and developed for it for a short while: the opening level in the Scrapyard, where your Cogmind is naked and has to quickly assemble itself from scrap parts all around it then ascend to the lowest level in Materials.

This process is the exact same almost every single game, with the only real decisions you're making is whether to go with wheels/treads/legs. Crawl's manifesto would have pointed towards eliminating the Scrapyard portion of the game, or mixing it up so it varies every single playthrough (entrance vaults, randomized scrap parts, etc).

But the Scrapyard works quite well in Cogmind, it sets the tone and theme for the rest of the game, reinforcing the idea of "assemble a robot from everything all around you" through actual player actions and showing the thematics of rising from the junk heap up through the Complex as you try to escape. The real decisions come on Materials -10, messing with the scrapyard would have distracted from that, and eliminating it entirely obviously isn't desirable either.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wanted to like Gungeon a lot, it's visually polished and very clean overall. I just wish I did significantly more damage and that the maps were more compact. Plinking forever at a boss, unless I was lucky and got a gun that was out of depth, is super lame.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

I'm getting the impression that there's a huge amount of systems and depth in Cogmind, and the correct answer is to ignore as much as possible of it and bolt to the stairs.

I had that impression after getting over the initial learning-the-game hump, and then got over that hump with extensive hacking (in particular Alert(Purge) and Trojan(Botnet) which you learn from finding a certain side branch), but I can't say that repeatedly having to hack every single terminal I come across just to stay even with the game isn't wearing on me.

Serephina posted:

It's really hard to enjoy the game when it's so busy trying to unrepentantly murder you. I'm starting to suspect Cogmind will eventually end up categorized next to IVAN.

Cogmind isn't anywhere near as brutal as IVAN, and the player is able to break their enemies as oppressively as the enemies can break you. It just involves a lot of work and some luck. Again, in my experience, and I'm still learning the game and haven't won yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I bought Dungeon Souls because of that review and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's hitting that fast, frenetic, and powerful itch that Gungeon didn't quite manage. Big fan of the aesthetic too, but not so much the jittery camera.

I was excited to see it had co-op, but unfortunately it's local only.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DS has a few questionable design decisions, but whoever decided to make the Twilight Gate spawn in the middle of the boss arena instead of slightly offset from it is a goddamn idiot. I've lost items three separate times now to accidentally quicksaving out of the game. The first time was accidental, the second and third time I was deliberately trying to be careful grabbing an item and still got sucked out anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm liking Dungeon Souls but some of the luster is wearing off. In particular I don't like how there doesn't seem to be many "levers" I can pull to control a run like in Binding of Isaac. Maybe I haven't dug deep enough into the game's secrets yet but finding keys for chests is a total roll of the dice, floors apparently don't have any secrets that I can hunt down. So far it's just: Find the shop, find the seals, check around for chests, move onto the next floor?

I've figured out how to consistently get into the side areas (particularly the Library, and Merlin's Hat is a big damage boost for every job), but that seems to be about it so far. I had a run as Engineer where I looped several times and was utterly unstoppable and gathered every item available in the game at that point. I eventually "won" and apparently because of that my 100k+ gold didn't get added to the metagame progression, screwing me out of a bunch of passive upgrades and crafting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chin Strap posted:

So I killed the owl in Dungeon Souls. How badly did I gently caress up by doing that?

Enjoy the ring!

I killed the owl too and got to the final boss where she gives you some clues about how to complete the game to do so. I haven't managed to get the item to drop from that one specific boss, and searching around it seems like there's possibly a bug where that item never drops?

Dungeon Souls has surprisingly little coverage on wikis and such, so I'm going through this game mostly blind and learning everything on my own.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ToxicFrog posted:

Just got my first boss kill in Dungeon Souls.

The chest and the quicksave gate spawned on top of each other and it wouldn't let me open the chest. :negative:

You have to shoot the chest to open it.

The quicksave gate is idiot bullshit in the worst loving placement ever and I actively lure the boss away from the south border to avoid having to deal with it. I've still lost items inadvertently by going into the wrong gate before getting everything, too.

ToxicFrog posted:

E: also Dungeon Souls metaprogression upgrades are exactly the "bad" kind of upgrade we were talking about earlier: incremental improvements to base stats. Weapon unlocks look like they might be more interesting but I haven't unlocked even one of them yet.

The weapon unlocks are nothing too too exciting -- there's Fire/Ice/Wind/etc versions of each weapon type. There's some other stuff to unlock too. Recipes consistently drop in the Library.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

100%'d Dungeon Souls. Multiple loops on Impossible, got every Power weapon, got every job to their ascended state. 31 hours for $5 after that guy who reviewed it convinced me to try it out, not a bad value. Buy on sale for a weekend game if you like roguelites like Binding of Isaac or Risk of Rain. Buy at full price if you really like these games.

I'll start this off by saying I liked the game, liked it enough to spend 30 hours on it doing everything, and think there's a lot of promise here for the dev team to go on and do other projects. They did a good job with screen shake and general tactile feel of the game, and that combined with the progression and general slaughter is enough to draw attention for a while, kind of like Diablo grinding where you just power through everything and enjoy the wanton destruction. It's a 3/5. It's because of me liking the game enough that I played it enough to see all these flaws, sorted in roughly biggest to smallest problems:

• Difficulty veers too close to binary. Most of the time either you're scraping out every battle and patiently whittling enemies down, or you're obliterating everything in one shot and barely have to think about what's going on. Neither is a great play experience.
  • Visual readability is a big problem with some enemies. The game's (intentionally?) way too drat dark at times and trying to see enemies is a pain in the rear end. Merlin, Selene, some of these small enemies that show up and hit you 18 times in half a second because invuln frames barely exist, are easily obscured by the game's walls or streams of particles. Having to squint and look around to see where I'm even supposed to be shooting at again isn't a good play experience.
  • There's not too much player agency inside any given run aside from picking up the right types of items to open access to the secret areas -- as a result, early on runs are largely luck-based, on whether you'd find the right combinations of items to get past Soul Guardian or Judgement, or just blow up after you eat one bullet after 5 minutes of slowly whittling away at the boss. In Binding of Isaac I could take over a run by doing a no-hit run and then selling hearts for Devil items, or manipulating game rooms and bombable walls and such. Dungeon Souls's equivalent is the metaprogression and crafting, which:
  • Metaprogression is for the most part locked out until you've already beat the game quite handily, at which point you don't need the items and passive bonuses the game gives you.
  • Whoever decided the Timeless Gate should be placed where it is in the boss rooms should be fired. It's too easy to accidentally boot yourself out of a run and miss out on the items on the floor you didn't pick up. This can be played around but it really shouldn't have to be, and the Gate should be offset from the arena itself so you don't have to do weird stuff to lure the boss away before you kill it, or carefully pixel-advance to pick up something without triggering the gate too. The protection for not sending you through the gate if there's an item nearby is... not reliable.
  • Camera's way too loving jittery. I don't mean the screenshake, I mean just generally running around and stuff, the camera is super jittery and makes the game look choppy instead of smooth.
  • Items kinda suck. They're mainly stat sticks, the interactions aren't particularly interesting (or even noticeable, really), and availability manages to be stingy and far too abundant at the same time. Characters kinda converge towards sameness because you end up picking up almost every single item, trip the binary switch on difficulty and then just M1 your way through everything.
  • The Power weapons are too blatantly OP. You get these weapon recipes from defeating a (trivial) boss in a secret area accessible in the final branch, and as such they're not really meant to be real weapons, which is okay, it's not that unusual to get a 999 damage sword as a reward for mastering a game. But these weapons have a 1% chance to instantly kill a monster or do 10% HP damage to a boss, give +20 damage off the bat, and also gains damage every time you deal damage. So the first two bonuses are completely worthless and meaningless because you're shooting off attacks that do millions of damage in a game where enemies' health is measured in the thousands. Because the damage gain is so generous, the binary switch on difficulty is flipped to 0 right off the bat, and the weapons don't even feel at all fun to use.
  • The game badly needs higher denomination coins. On 4th loop or higher, with Magnet and a couple of gold-generating items, the game slows to a crawl as each kill drops tens of thousands of coins that need to be animated and then moved towards the player. If you're rushing a floor these coins never get picked up, they just keep on trying to move against a corner as you walk through the floor at 1/8 speed. I'm a little surprised that this wasn't caught in playtesting, it's one of these things that would be a seemingly obvious problem and fix for a developer. The game runs just fine at high numbers no matter how much stuff you're spamming on the screen or how large the numbers are, which is impressive, up until it has to generate a dragon's hoard of coins.
  • Nightblade sucks rear end to actually play, in part because switching which skill is available is too clunky (for whatever reason? why couldn't I fire off skills with Q/E instead of Q-then-M2?). Chakram doesn't stay out when you switch to Hammer so I don't even see the gain for having two separate weapons. Kinda neat concept on paper though.

I never played Nuclear Throne, but when I compare Dungeon Souls to Binding of Isaac or Gungeon, the game's obviously way faster than these two, but lacks the depth and cool combinations of items that BoI had and lacks the enemy diversity that Gungeon had. Gungeon in particular had the problem of everything taking about 3x as many bullets to kill as it really needed to. DS's enemies die to the very first bullet. Is it too much to ask for a middle ground on that? The other obvious comparison here is Risk of Rain, but RoR mixed in the bullet spam with some platforming and dashing around, which is a much more enjoyable distraction and variety than slowly trudging around a floor looking for seals. It also had better items as a whole.

A lot of the flaws I listed above are both fixable and also, to me, indications that the developers, probably from inexperience, don't really know what they're doing with their game design. I can't find too much information about the dev team, but this feels very much like a first release. Black Shell Media is apparently now a PR company that posts memes on Twitter, instead of a dev studio?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fulsome Distillation was a really cool idea with some of the worst interface issues I've experienced since the 0.2 days.

I think it maybe could work if if you made it into essentially a launcher, where you stockpile ammo by fueling up from corpses with the spell, and then using the launcher interface to fire off potions from your stack of charges. I wouldn't want to deal with writing the code for that, though.

A big part of Crawl's problems is that the codebase is huuuuge and sprawling and a big mess. The current crew of developers, whatever your criticism of their game design decisions, have done a really good job of cleaning up and organizing the codebase over the last few years (and a good chunk of this was accomplished during the process of all these removals), and it's still huge and sprawling and impenetrable. I don't even want to look at what the codebase was like in the 00s.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I strongly disliked Enter the Gungeon in my first 3-4 hours because of basically every single reason the detractors are listing in this thread, despite really liking the visual design, presentation, and theming. I couldn't stand how stingy the game was or how slow it was moving.

It took me a year or so to get back into the game.

I now have 128 hours in it and think it's fantastic. What really clicked for me is that it's not a roguelike-RPG, it's a roguelike-shooter. Once I started really focusing on my actual gameplay skills -- aiming, dodging, and predicting bullet patterns -- it got pretty easy and the first few floors which normally were very sloggy and slow, began going very quickly for me. I can clear the first floor within a few minutes at most nowadays.

I had to shake loose a lot of habits and ingrained thinking from playing Binding of Isaac before I could really enjoy Gungeon.

I'm really looking forward to Advanced Gungeons and Draguns and will probably finish off the rest of my achievements once it's out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

You value $10 in your pocket more than a 50-50 chance to win $22, even though you shouldn't.

Not necessarily -- the marginal utility difference between $10 and $0 can be, and frequently is, greater than the marginal utility difference between $22 and $10.

Similarly, having a 50/50 chance to gain/lose one heart when you're at half a heart is probably not a great gamble to take.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My major issue with ETG after over a hundred hours isn't the master rounds (which I never really cared that much about -- if I didn't get one it's my fault, not the game's fault) and more how incredibly stingy the game is about passives and also about A/S-tier chests

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rogue Legacy should never have been made.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

victrix posted:

The best part about roguelikes is the lovely genre name that will never get replaced.

I wonder how confusing it is for kids to see roguelike on everything in the steam store.

Then even more confusing if they look up Rogue.

Probably not very confusing, to be honest. "Platformer" is similarly obfuscated from what you're actually doing in these games, it just doesn't feel that way because, like these kids growing up with roguelikes, we grew up with "platformers" as a commonly used name for the genre and we just rolled with it without thinking about it too much.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope AG&D does away with all the weird little manipulations like not picking up guns until you beat the boss to force a gun drop, and not picking up keys until you spawn the shop (which ISTR forces the shop to generate a key), and so on. At most the game should reward you for skilled play, not for knowing how to abuse its anti-death-spiral mechanisms.

They did, the dungeon drops much more stuff now. I've had a couple runs where I was actively selling and munching guns because I had so many that I didn't want to bother juggling through them.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did AG&D add a bunch more passive items? Because my #1 complaint is that every drat item is a new gun but you already have multiple guns once you get rolling and I want more of an Isaac-style passive experience.

Yes I agree with that complaint, and I think this is actually the real strength of the new expansion. They focused heavily on adding a giant crapload of synergies. Previously you'd pick up a bunch of guns and maybe a couple of passives, so your character's power growth was pretty closely tied to what weapons you found and your personal skill at the game. Binding of Isaac attacked this problem from two sides: adding a bunch of items that directly boosted your stats, and having many of the powerups interact with each other in weird and cool ways. Gungeon didn't have much interaction until AG&D, but now the game is packed full of them and it really makes a difference, since many of the synergies turn your crappier guns into actually good weapons.

I really prefer the advancement system of "All my poo poo interacts with each other" over "I got +2 damage and +3 tears" especially since it makes runs feel more distinct.

Zereth posted:

Apparently, Gungeon actually has the exact opposite: https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Quality#Magnificence

I dislike this mechanic a lot but the huge pile of synergies (as above) really alleviate it quite a bit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not quite a roguelike but while trying to grind out Lead God in Enter the Gungeon I finally got Seven Leaf Clover -> Clone and yeah I see now why there's normally a mechanic in place to stop you from getting too many high-tier items. It renders the game utterly trivial, which is fun once in a while (about as often as you'll find Seven Leaf Clover!) but sucks a lot of the soul out of the game.

That said, I saw a bunch of interactions between guns and items that I seriously doubt I would have otherwise in a normal run. Disintegrator + Science Cannon + Scattershot + Bouncy Bullets + Shock Rounds instantly deleted every single room but also burned through ammo (and FPS) like mad.

And after no-hitting a Jammed Metal Gear Rat and Jammed Lich I can pretty safely say I've done everything worthwhile there is to do in Gungeon (I only have Frifle grinding left) and will be putting the game away until there's an expansion.

My opinion on ETG has done a complete 180 after initially picking up the game a couple years ago, really liking the presentation and the endless bombardment of gun puns, but getting frustrated with how stingy the game was and how long it took to accomplish anything. Definitely one of these games where it helped that the devs fixed a few things (keys, ammo), but also really really helped to just get good at the game and it unfolds for you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diablo-style loot is pretty good. Diablo 2 style loot nearly perfected it and few other games have come even close. Diablo 3 style loot sucked the soul and interest out of it whatsoever. Torchlight/Torchlight 2 loot is absolute loving garbage and just a meaningless mishmash of random affixes and modifiers that mean absolutely nothing because they fundamentally all do the exact same thing (damage) and there's barely any difference between them.

Procedurally generated or not, you have to make your item modifiers actually interesting and having different impacts. If all your modifiers boil down to "This does more damage", or if your different sources of damage boil down to "This does more damage, except against enemies with this specific resistance," and nothing else, then it's meaningless noise.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Too Shy Guy posted:

So thread, I was thinking... Suppose, hypothetically, that someone was going to play and review a bunch of roguelikes on Steam by the end of this year. Let's say 12 of them. What would be the new and/or notable ones you would want to read about?

It might also help to assume that this someone had done this for the past three years, too.

Oh, I love these reviews, your reviews last year led me to Dungeon Souls which I 100%'d and wrote up a big review/criticism post of, myself.

Cogmind absolutely should be on your list and I'm surprised you haven't gotten to it yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

absolutely unasked-for opinion: dungeon crawls development process is the future of videogame development if communism wins

which i guess means a lot of featureless orbs lying around lmao

the state of Crawl's development is more to a combination of its age and ethos than anything really. There are plenty of other open-source games that are worked on by a team that are much more chaotic and dynamic.

Incidentally, I was looking through its commits recently and saw that dream sheep got a beautiful new tile.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

John Lee posted:

One thing I really like about Slay the Spire that I've never seen another game get as good: it has a perfect action queue. You can never be unable to swiftly play a card because you have to watch an animation, it just piles the unused cards, and brings them forward in swift succession, and when multiple effect pile up because of a weird relic combination or whatever it makes pains to go through each of them separately, but very quickly.

That honestly bumped this game way, way up my priority list. There's nothing I dislike more in gaming than having my time actively wasted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

John Lee posted:

It honestly took my like five hours of play to notice, but everything about playing cards and queueing them acts exactly as I want it to, you can tell they must have really polished that poo poo to a mirror sheen.

This is a big reason why, while I love pretty much everything about Darkest Dungeon, I can't really stand to play it for more than a binge weekend or something, DD wastes the gently caress out of my time both via animations and via tedious grinding to bring everyone up to speed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I got around to buying Slay the Spire and this game is just fantastic. We talked a bit the other day about how this game doesn't waste your time, it really really doesn't, it gets instantly to the point and lets you get into the meat of gameplay with no latency whatsoever. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I made it all the way to the end of the third stage in Slay the Spire The Awakened (spoilered if it matters) with a Defect build that had three Buffer+s, an Echo Form, and loads of card cycling and a Mummified Hand. While fighting the third boss, about halfway through the fight all my power cards stopped showing up. I checked both my draw pile and discard pile, nope, all my Buffers are gone. Does that boss eat my power cards when its passive gets triggered? Very confused here, I was cruising to an easy victory and then the linchpin of my deck just vanishes.