Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't agree with your conclusion, because with the game providing 100% information about everything I don't see my actions as mattering at all - the game is taking those actions and showing me which one is best, which is what makes the game too easy. The game does have numerous options available but there's always one clear and obvious best-in-class thing to do on any given turn which was my main complaint - I never got to think about what I had to do on a turn, the obvious solution just stood out every time. You're probably right about difficulty though, it's been 5 and a half years since I last played it so I don't even remember what difficulty settings it has, but I do have the achievement for beating it on Hard and the achievement for beating it once on each length :shrug:

This kind of implies that there's no consistency between turns, but that's what makes ITB more interesting. Yes, there's an optimal play per goal, but you have multiple goals that are in tension, so part of the setup is 'Alright, I've got to protect these buildings, but I also have to kill X creatures this combat to get a bonus, and it's bad if I leave my mechs too far away from the boss because I won't be able to get back'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I still disagree that it's fully straightforward for the player. The multiple goals I mentioned earlier is one part but also the future spawn points etc multiple turns In the future are also unknowns.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

Pirates Outlaws and Breach Wanderers selling their metaprogression currency for real money gives me the ick. Pirates looks good, at least. Breach Wanderers looks like a mess of pixels, which could have charm, but I can't see what the cards do without lifting each one up individually.

Breach Wanderers is pretty decent on Steam at least, I don't think they have any sort of post-monetization. It seems like the change you're mentioning is specific to mobile and is because they tried removing Ads, which...I dunno, mobile gaming is a nightmare.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Enjoying Cobalt Core. I'm bad at it so I just play on normal, but I've gotten 2 wins under my belt after a handful of games and it's still cool.

+1 to Cobalt Core being very good. I also like that the story is interesting and reasonably well written.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone know of any deckbuilding roguelikes that play more like Legends of Runeterra / Magic: The Gathering / etc in terms of more of a field of monsters instead of abilities of your hero?

I've got Wildfrost but didn't like it very much, and Monster Train sort of kind of is similar? Buuuuut it didn't really do it for me. Edit: I mean Monster Train is fine and all and I liked it, but I didn't find the game to scratch the itch I'm looking for. I've been playing a lot of Runeterra's Path of Champions mode recently, and that's great, but it has all the downsides of any F2P live service game, in that it's grindy as gently caress and there's a ton of cosmetics/etc I'll never play with because I'm not going to spent 20 loving dollars on a skin for a card.

More edits:
I am aware of Forge, and I've played around with it and wrote up a whole doc speccing out a roguelike mode for it, but I couldn't wrap my mind around the enormous java codebase to contribute anything; not to mention it's a whole massive amount of work anyway. I don't like the current Adventure mode implementation either, because it's just too sandboxy.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Razakai posted:

Nowhere Prophet is competently made but never really grabbed me. Having your "cards" take permanent damage and die if they fall in battle also felt kinda bad. And I never felt like you could make an interesting synergistic build, it was just grabbing random goodstuff, but I only beat it once so maybe I missed something.
The art, setting and music alone makes it worth playing though.

Yeah this covers my problem with it - Runeterra really shows that a roguelike mode for an MTG style game can work, but I also want all the fun parts of MTG; sacrificing units, complex strategies/etc. Nowhere Prophet added hex grids and a whole metacampaign about keeping your units alive/etc that frankly wasn't very fun to me; the difficulty seemed tuned pretty high.

It's just very odd, because Hearthstone and Runeterra both have had roguelike modes that were pretty enjoyable and well-received, if imperfect. I think StS just really changed the landscape of the genre. And don't get me wrong - I love Slay the Spire, it'd just be nice to scratch the MTG itch more without the trappings of f2p.

Well, it's my indie game idea if I ever get around to it on godot.

Edit: I guess while I'm here Legends of Runeterra's Path of Champions mode remains one of the best examples of what I'm talking about in the genre. It is f2p and everything that entails, but the core game is very fun and reasonably well designed in my view - and PoC doesn't shy away from letting you have insanely overpowered builds sometimes if you get lucky, which is great. There's no energy mechanics or anything of that nature - the only closest thing is the monthly challenge limits you to using each hero 3x a month, but that's a separate new part of it and not tied to the main campaign stuff.

I had a game where I had two 10/10 Poros ready to fight and murder God on turn 2 of what was otherwise looking like a very difficult game.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 17, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

malnourish posted:

Preach it, dude. I have been craving a game like this for ages.
I think it's a lot more difficult to create -- you need an AI which can play cards, manage creatures, etc. And it would need a lot of content since you'll be seeing those cards many times.

I'm toying with a game that addresses the cards from a different angle. Instead of drafting cards/building a deck of cards, you have "components". These are things like a creature's power/toughness ratio, effects, etc.

Then, every time you would draw a card, you instead randomly generate one based on the distribution of components in your supply.

Similarly, you have templates which influence how the components are put together. High cost templates have bigger numbers or more lines of effects than low cost templates.

I still find making games (graphics and UI in particular) quite difficult, despite over a decade of professional development experience.

Yeah, all this 100%. It's why I was hoping to jump off from Forge to be able to reuse a lot of the underlying bits but uh...man. Learning both Java and UI at the exact same time on a massive community code base without anyone to walk me through it was frankly over my competence level.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

This is probably like exactly what the person looking for something close to Runeterra wanted. The demo only has the "roguelite" draft mode but it's my understanding the story mode in the full game involves building preconstructed decks. There's also apparently multiplayer in the full release but it seems like more of a side focus as opposed to the game being balanced around PVP. I was pretty impressed with the demo, love the detailed play log and all the stats available.

I was specifically talking about the Path of Champions mode in Legends of Runterra which is a straight up single player deckbuilding roguelike; I actually...really don't like preconstructed deckbuilding in these games as a general rule. I don't think I've played more than 1-2 actual runs in Runeterra proper and I basically completely avoid multiplayer.

Which all makes me a little disappointed in Cross Blitz, but I'll probably still give it a try.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
To talk about Legends of Runeterra / Path of Championsfor a second, I got a completely filthy setup going with Yasuo the other day.

For those of you unfamiliar, LoR is basically Hearthstone + MTG, kind of a decent middle ground in card complexity and interaction between the two. One of the main conceits is 'Champions', cards representing the actual playable characters in League of Legends, which are the cornerstone of your deck and basically decide which 'colors' (regions) you're playing. Again, middle ground between HS and MTG. Champions can level up after meeting some objective, becoming more powerful.

Yasuo is a bit of a control enabler - At first his deal is that any time you stun or recall an enemy, he attacks it for 2 damage. This triggers attack payoffs and also generally lets your stuns be more useful. If you stun/recall 5 times in a game, then he flips; and now he deals his attack in damage to the creature. This is combined with three other very fun things:

• In Path of Champions you unlock passive powers as you 'star up' your characters, and one of his says every time a character Strikes, they gain +1 Attack.
  • Additionally, another of his passive powers says 'At the start of each turn, stun the weakest enemy'
  • Finally, I just got a piece of equipment you can add onto him, which has 'When this Champion levels up, stun all enemies',

So basically, Yasuo goes from being a one off stun enabler to a one-time board sweeper that will then keep your opponent's board cleared if they can't kill him, and creature-based removal like Challenger (basically you get to pick who blocks a creature) isn't very effective when my ENTIRE DECK is full of stuns.

He's probably my current strongest Champion in PoC with that equipment, because basically as soon as he flips, he wipes the enemy board in most cases and then proceeds to kill anything left over every turn. It's such an aggressive control of the board that it's extremely hard to bounce back from, especially since Stun already has benefits like removing blockers/attackers.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I liked Rift Wizard but found it to be way too hard. I might go back to it.

On the topic of Traditional Roguelikes, we used to have a thread for ToME but I don't see it anymore so: If you like traditional roguelikes IMO Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME) is the best modern one by a pretty large margin. Obviously this is a pretty niche genre and so people are going to have their preferences, it might not be for you.

A high level list of reasons to at least give ToME a shot:
  • Reasonably streamlined play that removes a LOT of item management - there's no potions or traditional consumables, so you get runes that are used on a cooldown.
  • A ton of classes and races, all of which can beat the game, but definitely aren't tightly balanced, with widely different play styles
  • Reasonably decent and consistent art style.
  • Base game is free on https://te4.org, also available on steam. Has three DLCs, one of which adds a whole second campaign to the game and the rest add races/classes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Well gently caress I guess I better buy it now

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

I checked out the Path of Champions mode in Runeterra since it was mention earlier that Cross Blitz is based off of it. Had a fun for a few hours before getting annoyed at it shoving the chest and exp stuff in my face too much so I uninstalled. Fortunately Cross Blitz itself is coming out in like 9 hours.

FWIW: The Chests and EXP aren't directly bought (I think there's periodic sales for them) but instead earned by playing - first completions of campaigns as well as weekly/daily quests. It's still F2P and there's definitely bits to encourage you to spend money, but chests aren't like...a lot of other games at least.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh I am aware its just annoying to see that after every battle, really slows things down.

Yeah; I feel you. Playing it makes me wish they just sold Path of Champions as a standalone thing like a lot of the other games they've got.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

Did the full release added some options to speed up animations? That was my main complaint with the demo.

Yeah, it's under accessibility modes which I find a little weird, but it feels a lot better at 2x.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Cross Blitz is cool but the roguelite mode kinda faces some of the same inherent issues as Runeterra's. Trinkets that apply upgrades to cards in your deck are fun, but like Runeterra, the upgrades apply all at once to every copy of the card in your deck (and ones you may generate during combat etc) and often the right choice is not upgrading your big splashy cards, but upgrading the cheapest ones possible -- adding "draw a card" to "1 mana, deal 2 damage to a minion" when you have 5 copies of it is almost always gonna be nuts. The game sort of deals with this by having powerful higher-rarity enchantments that can only be applied to higher rarity cards, but rarity doesn't always correlate to card cost, and again, often adding "draw a card" to something cheap is the most powerful thing you can do.

The other thing which is a big oversight IMO and something I hoped would be "fixed" from LoR is cards that heal the player. Nothing wrong with that in the main constructed game mode where each player starts from scratch in each round with max life, but in the RL mode where your character's health is persistent between rounds it encourages some tedious play patterns where you may end up in a situation where it's better to artificially stall victory by finding repeatable ways to heal yourself before winning a match. Maybe there's somebody out there who finds that fun but I certainly don't. In something like StS cards with healing effects are rare, are almost never usable more than once in a match, and typically there's a risk/reward element to even stalling a game long enough to use them once, because most enemies have some mechanic that makes them inherently more dangerous the longer a battle takes. None of that is true here and it makes me question whether persistent HP between combats was even the right decision to go with in the first place.

All that said the game is still very fun for the same reasons Runeterra's Path of Champions is fun. I've found some really neat combos already and there are a lot of ways to build broken bullshit -- I will definitely keep playing. For anyone who likes Path of Champions I think it's a great pickup, I suppose I was just hopeful it would refine on the formula more. That said the game is in EA so there's still time for adjustments, and they made some pretty drastic changes to the metaprogression (wayyy fewer permanent power upgrades) between the demo and EA launch, so good things may be coming

I agree with a lot of this, although I don't find your first note about trinkets to really be a problem. It's actually one of the things I like about that system, because it means your less flashy cards can still be extremely valuable, and your flashy cards already do cool poo poo out of the box.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

Wow Against the Storm is good. I somehow put 30 hours into it this week since picking it up on Tuesday.

It feels quite a bit like a fusion of Anno and some popular worker placement board games, like Die Kolonists and Agricola. I am not sure if that's a true inspiration or if they're just playing in similar pools, but the drafting of available building and slotting of workers reminds me of board games.

Strong recommend if you're on the fence!

I've been playing it off and on since EA and I agree, it's quite good.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So it's been a few weeks and I'm...not entirely sold on Cross Blitz, which is a real shame because I've been dreaming of something like this. The difficulty feels very random. I've had runs where things are going great, got good synergy and then just bam, dead really fast seemingly out of nowhere. Some of those could have been foreseen (an Elite that went off harder than expected) but others just feel totally out of left field (random enemy just wrecks my poo poo in). It sounds like there might be a balancing patch coming soon, but the game's a little disappointing to play until then.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

I'm not really a fan of metaprogression in run-based games, since it makes things feel like a grind to get to a level where you're allowed to beat the game.
Are there any newer roguelikes/lites/whatevers that go whole hog into the concept of metaprogression, where the point of a run isn't really to beat the game, but to gain as much metacurrency/progression material as possible? The closest I can think of is something like the old flash game Motherload, where each "run" consisted of digging a mine, getting as many valuable things as possible, then ending your run by going back up, selling items and unlocking upgrades to make the next run more profitable.

This kind of hops the fence into the idle/incremental games thread I think; which are entirely about metaprogression.

FWIW I really do like metaprogression in games, because unlocking stuff just makes my monkey neurons activate, but I recognize that some people don't like 'I can't just beat the game from the go?'

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

there's also this bizarre mentality i've seen in a lot of different places from both developers and players where they will say things like "well if i'm not unlocking content, what is the point of playing?", seemingly unaware of the idea that you would play a game because it is fun

I'm 100 percent guilty of this btw. Playing tiny rogues right now and it's just unlock runs etc. Once I unlock stuff I tend to be able to shift back to normal play but metaprogression drives me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Anyone ever hear of Withering Rooms before? Stumbled upon it today and it looks cool and weird as hell. Sort of a roguelike metroidvania meets Clock Tower? I'm gonna give it a whirl. While it says it's EA, apparently the game is functionally complete -- the dev is just waiting to coordinate an official 1.0 launch with upcoming console version releases.

That looks pretty fantastic actually; I might pick it up once I finish Afterimage.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Path of Achra is really interesting, I find the extremely limited design space fascinating, but I am sort of mystified by it all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

resistentialism posted:

It's been entertaining to read through pages of many people earnestly writing posts with complete nonsense words

You just gotta join in. Ergo:

People were asking about a straightforward build in PoA and this is probably about as straightforward as you get. Once I got just a couple skills online I was essentially unkillable and by the end it was just not even a thing.

Edit:

Path of Achra is really interesting, although I do kind of wish for an alternative to this that keeps some of the basic concepts (very tactical decisions, etc) but has more powers than just 'passive'. I realize I'm pretty closely starting to describe Rift Wizard, but hear me out: what if it wasn't balls-crushingly difficult? Maybe I'll try RW again and see how it clicks, but PoA has been so much more fun to me, because it felt like the builds were a lot easier to grasp - honestly just pick a prestige class and work backwards and you've got a generally good idea.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, there's so many different builds in PoA and the cycles mean that you can bump the difficulty if you feel like it's too easy, but I'm confident some of the prestige classes are gonna be wild to try and win with even on cycle 0.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, I took another shot at Rift Wizard, trying to think about what I dislike vs PoA, because on paper RW should be one of my favorite games and in reality I'm pretty meh on it.

I think that fundamentally, the problem is the following things, combined:
  • The circles and shrines, along with limited spell points and scaling difficulty in enemies, provide a high incentive to make decisions on a per-floor basis. However:
  • The spells themselves have limited synergy, so you need to understand 'oh there's a nature circle, and I've got arcane, so my valid builds would be XYZ', However:
  • Resistances on enemies is so high that if you pick the wrong room, especially early on, you're just dead outright. In addition:
  • The self-described 'tough as nails' difficulty means that there's a pretty limited list of actually valid builds.

I think what this all adds up to is a game that highly rewards memorization of hundreds of different elements (knowing the right builds, knowing which talents interact with which spells and which passives, recognizing enemy resistances offhand), or extremely slow play patterns where you have to do a lot of research. I don't think that's an invalid goal or anything, but as a dude with ADHD it basically means that I'm basically built wrong for this game.

If RW had a sort of ascension/cycles/etc setup where you had a series of increasing difficulty levels I think the above wouldn't be as bad of a problem. Difficulty isn't necessarily something I dislike (Souls fan etc) but RW is veering pretty close to nethack for me.

ToME to me is a similar enough game from a design perspective (pick a build), and it could be that I've just played ToME enough to know the high levels details, but the nature of the skill system means you have less options overall for most characters (but still a large number), and are generally pushed in a direction for your build. This kind of clicks with other games I don't like, such as Path of Exile, where you're given a massive skill tree and told to go figure it out.

Anyway, I don't think RW is a bad game or anything, but it's interesting how similar it is to Path of Achra while remaining totally different.

Edit: If I were to build a Rift Wizard-style game (which I might try as a game jam thing), here's the things I'd do differently. Again, not as a 'RW is wrong' perspective, but mostly mulling over it out loud.

• Class based system, with each class having access to certain schools of magic and some sort of passive or unique skills to provide a starting point for builds.
  • Scaling difficulty, with the goal being that Level 0 is reasonably accomplishable, and max being a real tough as nails thing.
  • A better combat log; Path of Achra's, while being extremely verbose, is also extremely good - knowing 'oh I did X damage but Y of that is due to this talent and Z of it is due to another talent' is very useful.

megane posted:

I found it pretty frustrating that you can think up a cool synergy in RW, build it, and then it turns out it’s just not good enough.

Immunities are the most annoying kind of difficulty and RW loving loves them. Oh, good, this floor is full of glass-iron ghost werewolves immune to literally every element except lightning, how fun.

Yeah, I hadn't considered this but I agree: resistances are fine IMO but I prefer how PoA on Cycle 1 has 90% resistance instead of immunity. It's a problem, you want to avoid it, especially for tough enemies, but you're still able to make it through with planning, especially on basic enemies.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 29, 2024

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

rift wizard's biggest flaw is that 100% immunities are ridiculously common and the nature of the system is that, because killing everything is mandatory, even a single enemy that you are unable to damage instantly ends the run. This used to be less of a problem because you were able to map out future areas 2 levels deep instead of 1, and having access to more information drastically reduced the impact of both this problem and the mana potion drought problem. Then the developer removed it and gave no reasoning for doing so beyond "some players don't feel like doing it", which I found so annoying that I dropped the game on the spot.

IMO I think that was a good move. You shouldn't let optimal play patterns that are a huge pain in the rear end to do persist, because otherwise you'll end up with people doing those play patterns and then you'll be pressured to balance around them. The idea that you'll check every portal manually twice is just a huge busywork that isn't actual gameplay.

I think if he was going to do that it should just be a thing you could check; honestly I'd like it even more if there was a summary of resistances in the upcoming rift as its own screen/etc, and from there you could even have +1 rift/etc.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

if you're willing to just hold skill points you can get low levels spells on demand to cover whatever damage type but enemies spawn infinitely and casts are limited so you do need to make some kind of actual build that kills things quickly, and if a late game level has enemies that are totally immune to it then banking 3 points to get some basic spell with a different damage type is not going to clear infinity guys for you.
The actual answer to this is that you either need a build that covers every possibility or you need to hoard dragon horns or portal keys to fix bad levels for you

I don't fully disagree with your general point, but I think that RW requires that you have the ability to deal at least 3 different types of damage once you're a few levels in, and that's...well, basically the tactical requirement of the game. I think this ties into the sort of 'not a build simulator' post that the holy poopacy made.

Like I agree that it feels bad, but mostly that's because I think immunities are BS, but I don't think this was an oversight or whatever.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

This is the crux of it to me. Path of Achra is the game that people think Rift Wizard is. RW was designed as a pretty tactically intensive game that also includes enough combo potential that you can create builds that will win the game for you, but that wasn't the original focus and it's not designed to facilitate that. As a tactical blow stuff up game Rift Wizard is not especially hard and builds are very open-ended. As a build simulator it's quite difficult and there are only a limited few builds that work consistently without needing an obsessive level of systems mastery.

RW2 seems to be trying to clarify its design vision and reinforce the tactical side further, which I think will help with a lot of the expectations mismatch that people bounce off RW from.

nrook posted:

Yes, this seems right to me. It’s Plato’s skill issue: some players feel trapped into pursuing only a few powerful builds, and thus feel ill-used when the game punishes them for a lack of versatility. If only they could just leave the cave and see the beautiful world of playing good!

I'm coming back to these quotes because I find it kind of fascinating, because I...don't think I understand it at all. Either I don't understand the definition of 'builds' y'all are using, or I'm just dumb.

I always thought of builds as 'a group of synergistic choices' and...isn't that at least half of every RW winning run? Like sure, you might have a few utility spells or take Teleport over Blink, but from looking through various winners on the discord there does appear to be a fairly consistent pattern of 'if you're taking this type of spell, you're going to need this other skill and this other spell' as well, and certainly there's a lot of 'build advice' on there as well.

I would compare it to Slay the Spire, I guess: when I play STS I'm not picking a hard-set build, mostly because the random nature prevents that, so you're always, even on A20, going to have a flexible approach. In my experience, Rift Wizard really...doesn't come close to that flexibility, because RW's difficulty is so high that you basically can't just 'pick what looks good' or you're not making it past floor 5.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game or whatever, but when I tried treating it as a more open ended experience I barely got ANYWHERE, and it was only once I started trying to approach it as 'ah okay so I can build in one of a number of optimal ways and everything else is basically a noob trap' that I even got up to floor 10 or whatever. The skills really push this narrative for me, because when a lot of the skills glue various other things together you can't really just 'pick random cool stuff and win', and I can't stress enough that the difficulty makes it really hard to tell when you're loving up because you did something stupid, or just because you rolled poorly.

These same complaints apply a bit to games like NetHack/etc, except that a lot of those have the advantage of having a better idea of what hosed you over, because the list of major threats is a lot smaller, and the options for your build are frankly miniscule compared to RW.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

A lot of players approach RW that way but it's not the only way. Yean, yeah, synergy is a good thing and all. But there are also a lot of fantastic toolbox spells in RW that just efficiently do a job without needing any support at all, and if you string together a bunch of these then 1) you don't actually need much synergy and 2) you will actually have plenty of points to put together whatever you want. Obviously Arch Sorcerer makes this easier but something like Chain Lightning or Mega Annihilate can be dropped into literally any build and will do what it needs to do.

Like you say that it's hard to get past level 5--it's just not. You can buy 4 cantrips on the first floor and steamroll the next 3 floors with that alone, probably without touching a potion. Now you have 9 SP and can buy almost anything, and it's fairly hard not to buy something that will carry you through the next few floors, enough to get another 9 SP. There's a limit to how far this will go without needing some sort of synergy, but you need surprisingly little synergy in your build if you have a well rounded toolbox to fall back on.

I guess I'm just bad at traditional roguelikes, because this absolutely does not reflect my RW experience. I've always felt absolutely starved for points and on the back foot, and when I take the shotgun 'grab cool stuff' approach I almost always peter out by like floor 5 or so, and generally either end up overwhelmed or just run out of spell slots and then die. The only time it ever started to click was trying to follow build guides, but then that ties into what others have said about it becoming a very frustrating, static approach to what feels like it should be a dynamic game.

I'll see if there's any recorded runs on youtube or something like a streamer, because maybe watching someone go through it would help but yeah, you seem to be describing a very different game than Rift Wizard to me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm really enjoying how the lore is all coming together. I'm strongly reminded of 70s, 80s fantasy, the stuff you'd see on Robert Howard anthologies, but twisted that everyone's a writhing mutant.

:yeah:

I think you nailed the vibe quite a bit; it was fantasy before things had to be overly explained or was basically Tolkien with the serial numbers filed off. I'm not saying all of that stuff is bad, but I appreciate how weird the game can be.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

This seems like a cool idea.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow Reprise
A romhack of the GBA original that has procedurally-generated roguelite features.

Oh this is pointed directly at me, time to check this out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Fuckin' welp. That's a shame, the game had some good ideas.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Big Bia's been on my wishlist forever, is it any good?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
fwiw I don't like Noita that much. It sounded great and I'd followed it for years, but it's just so twitchy and the controls are awful. :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

resistentialism posted:

The thing with Noita is that the basic monster behaviors are mostly predictable, but for the first 20 or 50 or 100 hours you play it you don't know what you need to predict, and not knowing makes the enemies seem incredibly dangerous. So you play real careful and try to only ever peek at them from cover. You let them push you around and some arced shots chip away at your health while you constantly retreat. After a (long) while playing, though, it's not all that hard to wander right past of a lot of enemies and just dodge all their shots, all without firing a wand. At some point the things that kill you mostly come down to either hubris or dumb poo poo happening, and that stuff is hilarious.

Look, we live in a world where people willingly play League of Legends so I'm fine with the idea that people will find joy in something I find totally unfun, but nothing about what you said makes me want to give Noita another shot.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That said, I personally only really dislike the second one ("select 3 things randomly drawn from a pool instead of having full control over character progression!"). The first one just looks like a skill or tech tree that limits your overall choices at any given moment (while remaining deterministic) which is a nice compromise between the homogeneity of totally free-form point buy on one hand and linear progression on the other.

This is actually one of my favorite things about this style of game. If you have full control, then the game can very quickly become 'implement your build, ignore bad options and pick good ones' - this is fun, I like ToME for example, but I really enjoy having to roll with the luck and build with suboptimal options because that's all I'm getting. To me it's one of the foundational benefits of the genre, and it's something I appreciate in Magic the Gathering Limited/Draft, for example.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

some kind of compromise between the two is best I think. Total control does make things a bit samey and overly straightforward but too much randomness just makes me feel like I'm not even really making decisions

I like Achra's method as a compromise, where you can control what abilities you take fully but equipment can also be extremely impactful and your control over what you get is pretty limited.

Oh, I agree. I prefer a sort of guided randomness.

On that topic actually, if y'all haven't tried the Packmaster mod for Slay the Spire (or just StS mods in general) you absolutely should - IMO I think it's one of the mods that really shows a clever design space.

The basic idea is that the character has a large pool of packs of 15 cards, and when you start, you're assigned three by default and draft four more, then those form your card pool for the rest of your run. It means you have some control over it, and you can build for some synergies, but you also have to make some stuff work that wouldn't normally work.

The Animator is another one - same general idea, different implementation, the packs are all Anime series, but IMO they got really up their own rear end with the design space on that one.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

see I don't like it because the decision space is constrained to the point where the actual decisions in it either end up losing meaning or become excessively frustrating

with this setup the developer has some issues with making the available possibilities both interesting and functional. If the options you can pick come with substantial downsides, then any reward carries with it the risk of being run-ending. This very much goes against the idea of a reward. If you allow players to refuse rewards, then the problem instead becomes that players will just turn down anything that isn't beneficial to them. So rather than encouraging improvisation all it does is make it so that some percentage of the time the player is rewarded with nothing. This was actually a big problem in One Step From Eden for runs intended to loop: you could only carry a limited set of items and could refuse but not discard them, so it was optimal to turn down any reward that wasn't super strong. So the way a lot of the games that use this system solve this problem is by making rewards purely beneficial, because then a reward is always a reward. But this carries with it its own problems: either the player rapidly stacks big rewards and the game becomes too easy, or the rewards are beneficial but too minor to actually be interesting. You either become ultra strong and coast through the game, or every reward is like "here's some stats" and the resulting decision is "well this one is a stat that I want so I pick this one".

I don't think this really tracks with my experience, at least in most games I'm familiar with like Slay the Spire or even most action roguelikes.

In StS, almost every card offered to you is better than your starting deck, and you really can't beat the game with your starting set, so you basically don't have the choice to turn down everything or you'll lose pretty fast. Eventually you'll have the flexibility to skip some options, but that's later on.

In Hades, you have some limited ability to influence your choice "choices for next rooms are Poseidon, Pom, Gold -> Choices for Poseidon are X,Y,Z" but there are downsides to the choices sometimes, as they may modify your gameplan or use up a slot you otherwise don't want to use.

I think the trick is that there needs to be enough consequence that you can't just skip every choice, but they also need to be functional enough that you don't regularly shoot yourself in the foot. But I don't think that's an impossible balance to reach.

Certainly I also don't think this is a hard and fast rule that it's always good - for example many games have a shop or something similar that gives you more direct control over your choices, and I think that's a generally good idea - I also like systems like Castle Morihisa where you have a talent tree/etc that is partially randomized per run but you then have full control over your selections.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

i like everything about cogmind except playing it

this is not an empty quote i swear

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Thinking about it, is anyone out there making new traditional RLs with high production values? Like the last I heard of was Tangledeep, which I might not have liked but I certainly bought and supported and was happy to have done.
edit: and RiftWizard2, but that's a foregone conclusion lol

Path of Achra actually inspired me to start thinking about something along those lines, and I think I'd end up with something that covered a lot of the Berlin interpretation, but I do agree with others that it's starting to get a little out of date.

Specifically I think the parts I'm not as interested in are just the item discovery / unidentified items part, I think the rest of it is pretty good.

To me, ToME is extremely my poo poo, so I was wondering what an evolution or streamlining of the ToME formula could look like, and Path of Achra is one of those examples, which relies on an extremely constrained interaction space. I think that's pretty cool, but not really my jam, so I'm kind of debating more of a spiritual successor to ToME that's a bit closer to Rift Wizard in terms of presentation/etc.

King of Bleh posted:

The oldschool games with "spoilers" like Nethack etc are really just metaprogression in another form, and are arguably worse in that regard than the +1-to-starting-HP format because they give players the false impression that memorizing a bunch of obtuse secrets and gotchas has anything to do with skill or mastery.

I agree with this a lot - I know some people really love that sort of thing but in my own personal view I think it's generally just bad design.

Learning that Minotaurs exist in mazes and that they are physical attackers with a simple attack pattern - cool and good.
Learning that if you use the almost never used 'chat' function and say 'Minos' to a minotaur, it will get confused and crash into a wall, revealing the secret treasure - bad, dumb.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I would love to have that kind of experience more often with games. The communal aspect of both information and misinformation elevated the poo poo out of Dark Souls for me

I was arguing against it on the last page, but I do agree that as a deliberate choice, I think this is good. Notably though, Dark Souls constrains a lot of that mystery to things like lore and explanations instead of gameplay, and has a generally small number of 'bullshit, how the gently caress would you ever figure that out' things...and frankly if you're Dark Souls I think you can get away with having some stuff like that, because you have such a huge playerbase.

I think part of my dislike of it for tradroguelikes in particular is that it sucks to get deep into a game, and die to a bullshit reason and then not get back there for dozens of attempts. I had a lot more patience for this when I was in high school or whatever, playing nethack for the first time, but these days I don't think it adds much when it's gamplay-related. I'm perfectly fine with lore/story being obscured or mysterious.

Ninja Edit: Also, if someone thinks that stuff is really cool and wants to build a game that's NetHack But Newer, that's their right and privilege; I'm just not going to be interested in it, and I think it's subjectively bad game design, but I like lots of niche things other people hate so I'm not going to yuck on their yums.