Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah I'm down for being more inclusive in this thread because there are tons of cool games that use a lot of roguelike elements that I would miss out on if they weren't mentioned in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Jordan7hm posted:

What? Those people are crazy. Cardinal Quest isn't just a roguelike, its a good (though also easy) roguelike. It's maybe the best mobile roguelike (I don't have iOS, dunno about 100 rogues, and am not counting Powder).

Anyway you can play most roguelikes with a very aggressive style if you like. Especially if you pick an easier combo, games like Crawl can essentially be tabbed though. You can't quite win in an hour, but you can get pretty close. Try playing a traditional roguelike with the mindset of "dive, dive, dive" and you'll find a totally different play experience.

I really like the tips idea. I'll try to figure a way to incorporate it into the OP.

I also want to do a bit on bots. I think to avoid bloat in the OP (it's gonna get bad with all the games) I'll just have a bit where I link to other posts for more detailed info. On the note of bots, anyone know of games that have had bots developed for them other than Angband and Crawl?

Yeah, diving is possible in a lot of traditional roguelikes but it requires a very well developed sense of when a situation is going to get ugly so it's pretty difficult for anyone who hasn't previously won to pull it off. It's great fun once you do know what you're doing though!

Also there's a few nethack bots out there, TAEB (http://taeb.github.io/) is the main one I know of. Apparently its back under active development too (imagine I made a joke about 'nethack' and 'active development' here).

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
It’s 3.4.3 with the curses interface mod https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Curses_interface

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Writing scrolls of chaos resistance costs a decent chunk of mana, and I guess if you don’t have enough mana it takes out of your hp instead like it does for spells?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Lawman 0 posted:

Just reached gehennom with this monk after spending many turns polypilling and messing around. Then suddenly remembered why my interest in finishing runs just craters though at least the mysterious force is weaker now in 3.7.
Edit: honestly I'm pretty tempted to just magic map and then dig my down after looting vlads tower.

How did they change the mysterious force?

Magic mapping gehennom is always worth it. Unless somethings changed in the 15 years since I last played, as long as you’re efficient with the levels you map it costs like 50 marker charges to map every stair and shortening the game by that much does more for your chances than a few more enchant scrolls or whatever.