Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You should put Caves of Qud in the OP, because it's awesome and some goons made it. :colbert:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

Yeah, it sure is an awesome goon-made game that'll be receiving updates when someone finishes up a commercial project that may appear in this thread at a later date.

Hey, look I found some screenshots of some new tile sets in a mysterious goon's possession.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Caves of Qud

Qud is a really awesome setting with a surprisingly wide variety of builds. The game itself is still in a pre-release state, but it's in a very fun state. There's loads of little detail presented with a, if not immediately apparent, streamlined UI; space defaults to a context-sensitive Do-The-Right action button which will prompt you by direction when there's multiple choices. Ranged combat is handled surprisingly well, though you have to spec for it. There's a lot of various active-powers you can get from skills, mutations, and though I've never found it, apparently cybernetic modification. There's a STUPID amount of detail in the game, in a fun way, with an amazing setting for the story. I really cannot recommend this game enough, to the point that I have to share my most awesome recent Qud experience.

I was trekking across the jungles of Qud when I saw some yellow fish; madpoles. These toothy bastards latch onto prey and tear limbs off. Figuring myself safe in my natural chitinous carapace--literally hardened enough to deflect bullets from chaingun turrets in the ruins of abandoned military complexes I frequent--I approached the poles. I emptied half my carbine into the closest madpoles. Feeling sporting, I drew my daggers and waded towards the sole remaining madpole.

When I think "giant turtle shell man who has claws on the back of his hands that he digs through concrete with in between killing giant psychic horses and shamanistic goat men who can literally drain life with their eyes," I think this dude can handle a loving madpole in single combat. I was technically right.

The madpole latched onto me as usual, and as it was a new experience for me, I panicked a little bit as it immediately tore off my left arm. Realizing that with one arm, it's quite impossible to wield a fully automatic rifle in melee combat while it's on the ground next to my other dagger (the one still clutched by my old left hand) I manage to forget I was carrying a revolver, which would have been useful at the moment. But I get ahead of myself.

Somehow, and I say somehow because I kind of panicked and just did stuff, I broke free from the madpole and rolled out of the water. I took stock of myself and noticed that my awesome turtleshell was still intact. Both arms and feet, however, were literally in a pile next to me. The same pile that had my daggers and my rifle, next to a madpole.

Long story short, and let's face it, needless to say in Qud: I regenned one arm off a shot of superdrugs, shot the madpole to death with my revolver, collected my now incredibly bloody gear, and ate my severed limbs to avoid starving to death while I waited for everything else to regenerate naturally from my mutant powers.

Reading these stories makes the 800 years of development worthwhile, thanks for posting.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

All roguelikes based on the Angband engine have that menu entry, it doesn't actually mean they have or will ever have tiles, sorry.

Naw, Qud is completely from scratch. I was mucking around with tile sets for awhile, but we've been working on a commercial roguelike for mobile devices for the last year or so, so there hasn't been many updates to Qud. We have been slowly diddling with it, we've got a pre-release with half a new dungeon and a mutation cost rebalance if anyone's interested. E-mail me at unormal@gmail.com and I can share the dropbox link to it.

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

The latest download can always be found here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/

Unormal fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 9, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

In CoQ, is there a guaranteed location for each of the glotrot cure items? I've gotten to that point a couple of times, but on all of them I've died hunting around in the rear end-end of nowhere for oil or something.

Yes, and plenty of non-guaranteed ones. I can find or make cure pieces manually in a few minutes, but I'm not sure anyone has adequately identified them in a wiki anywhere, and I'm certainly not spoiling it!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ever thought about letting the community work on a tile set? Or has there just been no interest from the community to create one?

You'd need more support for the engine to make it work, and I just never did it. The character->item mapping isn't close 1:1 so you can't just replace letters with object images. I didn't really care much about tile-set support when I wrote the first pass of the engine. I was trying for the best 16-color ascii ever. :D

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I do think that CoQ ranks up with Brogue as the prettiest ascii I've ever seen, so good job. Tiles seem kind of unnecessary to me tbh.

It's funny because the reaction is very bipolar; most people aren't meh on it. It's either love or OH GOD MY EYES THEY BURN. It's a very pictogram-based, busy dwarf-fortress-inspired take on ascii, and we've found that people who've learned to 'read' dwarf fortress are like "IT'S GREAT", but people who like much more functional almost-mathematical representations find it awesomely overbusy.

My goal with it was to see what I could do if I was back in the old days with a the display of an 8088 vga console (with a little more CPU and disk-space), and see how far I could take the display and usability without breaking the bounds of what a really old school display could have done.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Also: Are there any merchants besides Joppa, Grit Gate, the Goat Man Village, and the wandering dromad merchants?

Yes, there is at least one more guaranteed merchant.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Thanks! Since you're posting, would you mind confirming if we plop down a chest (or even just leave items on the floor) in a settlement, will anyone steal them/will they ever despawn? It seems like they stay there forever based on my testing, but I'm not sure if I'm just being lucky.

Yes, it's safe in the current builds.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with Caves of Qud, the Villagers in Joppa randomly get hostile. They start of friendly but if I get close they might turn hostile. I know I'm not hitting them by accident since I can stand 3 tiles away and it still happens. I can't even trade with the merchan because he always turns hostile when I open the door, Am I missing something? I've even tried using telepathy to get the quest put they still turned hostile before I had a chance to leave. At first I thought they might be anti mutant bigots put it happens with true human characters as well.

That... should't happen. Try deleting the folder and reinstalling, you might have an old/bizzare/corrupt blueprints.xml.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

Am I missing something? I found the goatfolk village, there's blood and bodies everywhere, I got the goatfolk parchment, but Mamon is nowhere to be found.

Working as intended, for what it's worth. ;)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So can I not attack multiple times in combat with multiple arms in Qud? i wanted to swing around 4 battle axes like a crazy mutant barbarian but I only seem to attack with one in combat. :(

You certainly can, but you'll need to invest in things like the Dual Wield skill and leveling up your extra arm mutations to increase offhand and extra-hand attacks in order to start elevating your proc rate. They'll still all proc without those things, but the rate is pretty low to start with.

With enough proc-rate increasing you can even start proccing hands multiple times per attack.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
One thing that's not obvious but that you can't really do with multiple arms is wield multiple shields for much effect. Since shields "proc" during an attack to give a brief bonus during that attack, only your best shield will proc. So generally you only need one shield, though there are corner cases where you might want more.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

The http://cavesofqud.wikia.com/ wiki someone made is abysmally out of date, yeah. I didn't think about it till you mentioned it but even though the game is about as clear using in-game cues and clues as Crawl or ToME, both of those games have robust wikis that help you out a lot.

For example, Water Merchant has a "bug" where if you talk to the Grit Gate intercom and use the Quest option first, instead of the Water Merchant option, the Water Merchant option disappears after you enter the city. I thought that meant the quest option limited my access to the city and that I'd have had more access to the city if I used the Water Merchant option first, so I remade and tested it out: nope, same exact thing, no bug. I had no knowledge around it and had to test it myself. If there was something like the Crawl/ToME wiki, that would have been absolutely clear to me on the Water Merchant page.

Unormal, do you have any 'official' wiki or anything? Did you make http://cavesofqud.wikia.com/ or is that someone else? I want Qud to succeed, so I might as well start editing some wiki with all the stubs that it has right now to make it easier for new players to get into it since there likely won't be any huge changes for a while.

E: goddamn I hate wikia, so many ads

No official wiki. Someone, at some point, wrote an automatic data converter for blueprints.xml that output all the values in human readable form, which was cool for at least browsing all the items/creatures/etc. I dunno what happened to it though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farquar posted:

I like to play really random characters in my roguelikes. Would a mutant with 4 levels of Unstable Genome be the best way to do this in CoQ?

Yeah, you can also hit F1 in any other screen to make random selections. F1+Unstable Genomes is personally my favorite way to play the game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wasn't brand new -- the character was level ~10 or so, he'd explored the tunnels connecting Red Rock and Joppa and got a decent amount of experience off the critters there. I guess the lesson here is more "don't explore ruins" which isn't much fun but whatever.

... or bring an EMP grenade when exploring ruins.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hadn't been anywhere that sold EMP grenades yet. I was, in fact, traveling through the wilderness so I could get to somewhere that did sell half-decent equipment. :v:

Anyways, I'm back to experimenting with new character builds; I tried combining Phasing with Burrowing Claws thinking I'd be able to phase into a wall, dig out a cubby, and then use it as a bolt-hole. Unfortunately it looks like phasing disables your ability to attack tiles.

I might try Disintegration as a substitute, but it just doesn't have the same moleman allure.

Does equipping a shield to your third or fourth arm give you the full shield bonus? Can I combine this with the ambidexterity tree to have a dual-wielding character who can also shield block? Do the ambidexterity skills affect the third and fourth arms at all?

Acid gas is surprisingly good for mole-men. Space-time vortex is another digging ability worth a look.

Sheild defense procs only use your best shield AV, so with generic shields wearing more than a one is typically a waste, except for unusual corner-cases. Having ambidexterity affect shield use as well is an interesting idea, though.

The third and fourth arms are controlled purely by the mutation bonus, the dual-wield tree/agility bonuses apply to your "normal" off-hand only.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wasn't even thinking of equipping multiple shields, I just read something on an old forum post to the effect of "multiple arms isn't worth the points, it doesn't count shields equipped to the extra limbs."

Trying to make a room in the wall using disintegration gave me a Pauli Exclusion Principle mortem, but I'll try your suggestions and see which works best!

EDIT: Corrosive gas doesn't work fast enough either, although maybe it or disintegration would with more levels; I'll try debug mode in a bit. Space-time vortex seems more promising but the random trajectory and the long cooldown kind of sink it for practical purposes.

Oh, bad reading comprehension; a shield on any additional arm/hand will work fine, it'll count as long as it's equipped on any body part except thrown.

Spice-time vortex can be dangerous, but it eats anything at all, so it has it's upsides.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In Caves of Qud, does Fasting Way affect your sunlight requirements if you have photosynthetic skin?

Yes; I see you're playing the classic ascetic cactus-man archetype.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh god a Madpool bit my feet off! :gonk:

How do you get dismembered limbs back?

There's a few ways; an Ubernostrum injector is probably the most widely available.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Sometimes I think the reason I have so many hours between Crawl and Qud is that they're the two roguelikes I've played with what feel like the best autoexplore, ha. Crawl was the first autoexplore roguelike I ever played and it's really hard for me to get into RLs without it now.

For the record, my auto-explore code is basically a humanitarian disaster.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Only because this particular bit of brain damage is somehow endemic in them. Hasn't actually killed me in Qud so much as had me go a screen and a half further than intended due to asinine poo poo like monsters shooting at nothing. It's especially annoying in Qud because not everything's gunning for you but if shots are flying everything bogs down whether they have anything to do with you or not.

It's a bit less trivial than it seems to just "not do key repeat", since the alternative is losing key-presses that are buffered when a player is hitting them very quickly under some circumstances. So you end up needing to do a buffer of some depth, but not TOO deep; balancing between players going "Don't let me hold down a key!" and players going "You ignored a keypress!"

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made these animated gifs of Sproggiwood in action for the Making Games thread; I thought you guys might enjoy them:

Sproggiwood is pretty much completely playable, we're in the process of fleshing out content. Here's a few little quickly made gifs of action happening:

Warrior charges:

Wizard teleports and kill some stuff with frost ring:

Farmer chucks a pumpkin to kill a group of slimes:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Will it be ported to Android?

Yeah; we're planning on doing iOS first, getting the kinks out then launching on Android, and maybe even taking a shot at PC distribution if it's reasonably well received. It runs, and is tested on PC and Android, it's mostly just about release logistics for each platform.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey look I made Caves of Qud not look hideous:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

How complex is Caves of Qud? I want a RL that's relativity easy to handle/understand and it sounds interesting. My only real experience with RL is Brogue and DoomRL.

It's internally complex, but we tried to design something that had the complexity of an older roguelike without the artificially difficult learning curve that a lot of the older roguelikes had. There's no byzantine set of commands to learn, all the interaction are menu driven, and there's a generic environmental 'use' button that simplifies a lot of the multi-command learning curve that (arguably) gets in the way of the core game-play of a lot of the older-style complex roguelikes.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Ah, so you developed it? Guess I'll support a fellow goon since the game looks fun as hell. Any plans on a tileset in the future?

Probably not. We're more likely to do a full-blown graphical roguelike that's actually built for whatever media it's targeted for (PC/Mobile/etc) than go back and entirely re-do CoQ for tiles.

We're working on a mobile roguelike, Sproggiwood, at the moment. We've got a bunch of screenshoots/etc up on the freehold games facebook page if you're interested.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 27, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pre-release is up here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/7hYSNm5s_a

It's perfectly playable, there's just an unfinished dungeon so we don't want to make it official yet.

*Mutation cost rebalance:

Adrenal Control - 3, down from 4
Burrowing Claws - 2, down from 3
Corrosive Gas - 3, down from 4
Electromagnetic Pulse - 2, down from 3
Heightened Hearing - 2, down from 3
Phasing - 4, down from 5
Photosynthetic skin - 2, down from 3
Sleep Gas Generation - 2, down from 3
Spinnerets - 3, down from 4
Stinger (all types) - 3, down from 4
Two Headed - 2, down from 3

Clairvoyance - 2, down from 3
Disintegration - 3, down from 4
Ego Projection - 2, down from 3
Light Manipulation - 4, up from 3
Mental Mirror - 2, down from 3
Precognition - 4, up from 3
Sunder Mind - 4, down from 5
Syphon Vim - 3, down from 4
Teleport Other - 2, down from 3

*Added a new terminal font
*Added support for '-oldfont' to revert to the older lower-resolution texture
*Added a new dungeon (Trembling Dunes, lower-leftmost square of world map)
[build currently waiting final monster/item population]

*Fixed stun rod not stunning
*Fixed beak having the same description as horns
*Fixed some issues with cross-faction aggro levels
*Fixed an issue with gas propagation near world's end
*Fixed an issue where dart guns and other magazine-loaded multi-ammo guns weren't providing a selector

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

I take it this means your iOS roguelike is nearing completion?

Still a few months of work, but it's all content, the engine is done, so I have a little spare bandwidth again.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

e: I think i figured out what they are, is it indicator of your abilities?

Yeah, it's an ability hot-bar. The colors tell you if the cool-downs are ready.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

Also what does the asterisk next to an equipment slot mean?

That means it's a primary slot. Which means you always attack with it for melee attacks, and various armor mods count for other slots. Typically you just see it on your right hand, but you can also see it on your primary head if you have two heads, etc.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

One who is Rad posted:

So I contracted Glotrot in CoQ and my game is pretty much over, the one time I managed to find honey, I just vomited in the bag and made it all useless. I reloaded my save and bought the disease book (because losing your tongue takes your haggling ability with it), and the steps for the cure involve items I haven't even seen in game yet.

I'd much rather have a specific place on the map I can travel to on a mission to cure the disease, or some kind of medic that can help me prepare for it, because otherwise every part of the cure relies on the right NPC selling the right thing at the right time.

The lore and the way the diseases are handled is really interesting and adds a lot of flavor to the gameplay, but then it becomes unplayable as a result.

I can build any of the ingredients in a few minutes; they're all guaranteed, but it takes game knowledge that I don't think anyone has really amassed yet. The diseases are pretty brutal, and can be game-enders, especially if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the game. It's certainly a *lot* easier to avoid the disease than it is to cure it; and that's sort of the design intention, if you don't prepare/go in aware, it's going to be sad times. (That said, we might approach it differently these days, but that's the way it is ;))

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Something that kind of annoys me: there's no indication of which letter or number each tinkering bit is if you have that option set. The tinkering screen only differentiates them by color. I'm not colorblind but it's easier to remember what a 1 and an A are vs what 2 shades of red represent.

Ah, that's just a bug. I should fix it!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

What determines which tinkering skill you need for which item? Is it a some field in ObjectBlueprints.xml or a hardcoded list somewhere?

It's based on the highest level of bit used in the recipe for the item.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

So ABCD1234 for 1, 56 for 2 and 78 for 3?

Yup; just counts the highest bits. Note that the bit cost is slightly randomized from game to game, so there a small amount of variation in tiers from game to game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Protocol 5 posted:

If cyberware becomes a bigger, more reliably available part of the game, that might change things.

The new dungeon we're working on is designed to be a reliable, if risky, alternate opening move for True Men to get some early cybernetics.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
FTL is just a really difficult and subtle game that doesn't have a few big strategies that turn your games from winners and losers. There are a ton of small decisions and skills, each one incrementally improving your chance to succeed. After playing for 250+ hours, I can probably win 80%+ of games that I start in FTL if I'm not going for a special goal of some sort.

*Learn all the outcomes of the missions, and skip the high-reward/high-risk choice if you can't afford it.
*Visit as many stars as possible before jumping to the next system, even if it makes you have to deal with the fleet when jumping out
*Collect scrap at the edges, then jump to a many-jump star to scout for shops
*Upgrade your secondary systems to improve your mission outcomes, medbay II is one of my first upgrades, often before the next shield pip, because it turns so many bad encounters neutral or good.
*Try to get a diverse cast of crew, since that also serves to improve the average mission outcome
*Upgrade your doors to level 2 asap, learn to manage fire and boarders with vacuum and the medbay
*Don't over-upgrade power supply; Until very late game, if you're building efficently you should be running without oxygen and/or drives during combat except when a weapon is about to hit or you need to quickly boost O2.
*Drive upgrades are very good.
*Learn when to run (this just takes experience, there's no quick guide. At first, almost always run from an enemy with 2 missles, run early if every salvo of yours is likely to incur a damage from them, and it's going to be more than a couple turns before you can disable their weapons, etc)
*Learn to use single missles/bombs to optimize your weapons. Lasers are typically pretty inefficient use of power/time in combat. If you still need to overpower your enemies with a bunch of busrt lasers to win a game, you need to try getting more surgical with shield-penetrating/disabling weapons.

I can still lose a game to an early run of nothing-but-missles/etc, but it has to be a really, really bad run. You can win any reasonably average game of FTL without rng luck.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

voltron lion force posted:

That's a pretty sick win rate. What would you say is the easier ship to get a win with?

Kestrel B, the Crystal variants and the Mantis B are pretty OP; Kestrel B is probably the easiest newbie-win ship that's easily accessed, but each ship has its own strategy. The upgrade path and priority (teleporters? power? shields?) on a Kestrel is way different than a Rock or mantis ship. Each ship gives a pretty nice variant on strategy, I'd suggest trying to win with all of them, because they all present a fairly unique challenge.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Here's a thing: http://oryxdesignlab.com/news/2013/11/25/trials-of-oryx-begins

I still haven't really seen a roguelike use these excellent tiles that's held my attention for more than a few minutes, not counting Brogue Tiles (http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/), which is a rev behind.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do it. I would pay money for qud tiles. Also osx support.

Sadly I realized it's only 4 weeks, I don't really have the time this month, with Thanksgiving travel and all. :(