Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I honestly really really tried to hjkl but I just couldn't get used to it. :saddowns:

(Fortunately I have a keypad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

How harsh is this game with OOD monsters? One of my paladins made it almost to the first boss(carpenter), but then he found a Rust Monster. Had no missile weapon, so it hosed me. I kinda don't think that should happen.

Another way to deal with rust monsters is to carry a weapon not made of metal (such as a Stone Spear or Quarterstaff) as backup.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kevlar Beard posted:

Holy crap, I just played Dungeon of the Endless for almost 9 hours and I still haven't gotten to the last level...

Maybe it's... endless?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bogart posted:

> You see before you ZIGGY STARDUST.

> ZIGGY STARDUST plays guitar.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Unormal posted:

I'm dipping my toe in the water to see if I have the :eng101: to make a 4-player co-op action roguelike thing... It's a serious technical step up from single-player, but I'm really liking this framework that I'm testing out.

I really miss old 4-player-on-the-couch xbox baldur's gate/D&D heros, and wouldn't it be cool to have a procedural roguelike one of those?

This sounds really cool. Sucks to be the first guy who dies though, if you're doing permadeath.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Lprsti99 posted:

Son of a bitch, always when I'm sleeping :argh:

About five minutes after I got home and checked the thread and went to play something else :argh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

CAPITAL LETTERS EVERYWHERE

That was glorious.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Ultra endings are supposed to be rare, special achievements, not just something you decide to do at the beginning of the game.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious/trolling, but why is basing it on a random rare drop better than making it challenge-based? Why not for example put a guaranteed RoLS in the game but put it at the end of a very difficult dungeon that will kill most characters at pre-Kele levels? There has to be a more interesting option than Did you score a lucky RoLS drop Y/N? (I guess you can grind the ID forever but I couldn't be hosed with that before Biskup nerfed ID scumming much less now and that's not at all a more interesting option anyway.)

Also, it is something you decide to do at the beginning of the game. If your first kill is the wrong kind of monster you can't do it. You literally have to plan for it from the very start of the game and luck out with the ring/a wish.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well yeah no-one is arguing that that poo poo is weird. It just seems a ridiculous design decision to gate that extra content behind a random drop.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I know but it was my first roguelike and I still love it. I just want it to get a little less bad. :smith:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Probably it's just the amount of luck involved. Isn't there a good chance of getting a wish at some point in normal play though?

I dunno... yeah depending what you class as good? Completely anecdotal but I'd say I've gone 50/50 at best on getting the amulet as a drop or a wish by the time I've cleared all non-ID content I can without passing Kelevaster, including Darkforge and drinking all pools. 50/50 might not sound that bad but it sucks when you've gone to the trouble of doing all the other prep for an ultra and not died and the amulet just won't drop.

As for whether challenges should be a combination of luck and skill or just skill, I think there's room for an element of luck in the survival of your character while attempting to conquer the added difficulties the challenge throws at you, but the luck factor should not revolve around whether or not you get a specific random drop.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Unormal posted:

If we don't launch them all simulatenously they all unlaunch and we have to try again.

Also your code deletes itself and you have to develop them all again from scratch!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gah, ran out of attempts for ??17. I thought I had it when I noticed Unormal's regdate in US date format is 11/17 but 11 didn't work. Nor did 10/17 for hand of luke or 04/17 for the post date. drat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I googled NC17 and got an American film classification. Is that what it's referring to? Well I don't feel so bad now because there is no way I was ever gonna get that.

e: I do like the quiz idea though, way more fun than pure first-come first-served.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 17, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is there something I'm missing about the Intercept ability in CoQ? Most enemies only move next to you once, so you get a one-off 0.5% chance of one free attack per enemy? Seems pretty underwhelming.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 21, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Even if it does you'd still have to kite them an average of 200 tiles to get one free attack. Hardly seems worth the effort.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Has the corpse with the headlamp been removed from the river under Joppa? Cleared it three times now and not found him.

Also wow. Don't gently caress with sawhanders. RIP.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Picked up FTL in the sale and loving it. Just got my first victory despite blowing up at the same time as the flagship, that was pretty cool.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Faster Than Light question: What's up with the halberd beam? For the first couple of sectors I thought it was the best thing ever but once I started hitting enemy ships with two shield layers it started doing nothing at all. It didn't say it missed, but it didn't do anything to their shields either. Does it only work against a single layer of shield?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks guys. I thought the halberd laser would still damage their shields though, leaving them open to a shot from another weapon?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ooooh, ok so beams and lasers aren't the same thing. Got it, thanks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Man, I like FTL, but some of the events are bullshit.

LOL your pilot just turned hostile and attacked your crew, now you have two crew left for the last two zones.

Get hosed. <:mad:>

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess an alternative solution would have been to give all enemies above, say, level 50 a blanket 90% damage reduction and 90% of the hitpoints they would otherwise have according to normal level scaling!

That would... make them take a bit longer to kill, that's for sure.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Just tried Armored Commander. Spent a lot of time maneuvering and didn't manage to kill a single thing before my commander died (the sole casualty) when my tank got knocked out in the last battle encounter of the second combat day. I don't think I really get this game. Also is it even possible to reach the second exit before the end of the day without beelining the whole way without ever checking enemy resistance or using artillery?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've been heading into the small cave to start with but having no healing kind of sucks

You can always enter the small cave first to spawn the initial mobs at low level, but leave before exploring, go do the quest for healing, then come back. Just try to kill as little as possible so you don't get lots of high level spawns. If you can find them, a scroll of magic mapping and a wand of digging are both useful for helping find/get to the stairs with a minimum of killing. You could even leave it til way later and come back once you have magic mapping and a means of controlled teleportation. Of course you don't have to go at all unless you're going for an ultra-ending or really really need that guaranteed scroll of chaos resistance.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The dog is bullshit, don't bother.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

the rewards for that quest

A small boost towards Lawful alignment. That's it.

It's basically a challenge quest disguised as babby's first quest to kill new players. I usually just let the dog die and go fetch its corpse for the girl when I've leveled up enough to do it safely. Or pretend I'm Jeremy from Peep Show and eat it in front of her.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

btw don't actually eat the dog, I'm pretty sure it curses and/or dooms you.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Not a traditional roguelike but Faster than Light is good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The pigs basically go hog wild

:golfclap:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Just dropping in to say Darkest Dungeon is awesome and everyone should buy it.

And then come into the thread and PYF narrator quotes.

"A man in a robe? Claiming communion with the divine... madness."

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 19, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:fap:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Arcsech posted:

You can get an item that helps with this: the floating glowsphere, although it's fairly expensive (~$500) and hard to find, I've had luck finding it on caravan merchants not too far from Joppa.

But until you can get something like that, you're right.

Also there's a guaranteed miner's helmet, ie head-slot torch, somewhere in the tunnel between Red Rock and Joppa.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

They heard it through the grapevine.

:golfclap:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Minor bug to report, along with a workaround: I just bought an ape-fur cloak then went into my equipment screen to equip it. When I selected the "worn on back" slot, the game told me I had nothing to equip for that slot. Going into my inventory screen and selecting auto-equip on the cloak equipped it on my back slot just fine. I am playing a carapace character, but that should only affect the body slot right?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If you make a two-headed, four-armed, four-legged mutant with narcolepsy then you're going to have a bad time though.

I love Qud but I really wish this was a viable build. I just want to be some kind of post-apocalyptic Hindu god incarnate.

e: Unormal please let us ride lions so I can be this chick

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 19, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

amuayse posted:

Okay I've gotten a legit crash.
I decided to throw a Hand-E-Nuke in Joppa and not only did it vaporize me, the watervine farmers, and all of the village but it kept going and vaporized all of the watervine swamps and part of Red Rock Canyon since I got all these damage reports of crocs, glowpads, and equipmaxes. The game kept building and building the explosion until I got a white screen and it froze up.

Sounds like nuclear weapons working as intended to me :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Why would you need a tent in a cave? :confused:

e: how would you even pitch it?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 27, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Oh hey, staff of the archmagi. I think I'm worshipping the wrong god.

Precrowning gifts are completely random, just be glad you didn't get the Black Tome.

quote:

On another note, are there any strategies to saving the cute puppy before it dies horribly? I always feel awful 'g'iving it to the little girl.

Roll a buff early-game character like a troll barbarian and brute-force your way to it as soon as you get the quest. Even then you may get unlucky and have it spawn in a room with something that can kill it before you reach it. Or it might unavoidably get killed on the way back up. Honestly it's not worth the effort, the reward is trash so the only reason to do it is if you're emotionally attached to that red t and really want it to get its white d back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

are there any strategies to saving the cute puppy before it dies horribly? I always feel awful 'g'iving it to the little girl.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Before I would talk to the girl and tell her the news, then eat it in front of her.

:crossarms:

You feel awful giving her the corpse but were totally okay with eating it in front of her?