Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hito posted:

Invisible Inc. is incredible. It's progressed so much from the alpha days and is worth your early access dollars right the heck now. Better than Necrodancer.

The Steam thread didn't think it was worth cash yet, but the aesthetic looks rad as hell, not to mention the gameplay.

I'll probably buy it after hemming and hawing for a couple days, knowing me. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there an Idiot Newbie Moron's Guide to Dungeonmans anywhere? I've thrown like three mans at that fuckin' scrobold cave and lost em all, I have no idea how to grow my characters or get the academy going :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

I will go to my grave saying it as Kwud.

Invisible Inc. might be my favorite game of all time, and I definitely think it's something everyone should try. I wrote about it as I tend to do, but it should also be emphasized that it has a gorgeous presentation as well.

I keep going back and forth between this and Darkest Dungeon to get my fix and they both bug me because I keep losing dudes (granted in the latter you're very much supposed to, but still) :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Which is probably easier to get into between Caves of Qud and Cogmind? Dig the aesthetic and idea of the latter but I gather the former is rather more legendary from the Steam thread, so still trying to pick one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gotta be Cogmind, then. I always find making big decisions at chargen right at the start rather daunting, Cogmind sounds more (literally :v:) build as you go with what you got.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That is an overwhelming amount of chargen options though, goddamn. (I ended up just buying both. I suck, lol.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand, at least complicated chargen would give me a set "ideal" if I got through it. Cogmind lets me right in but damned if I have any consistent idea what I want to put together :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have a CoQ starter/chargen guide they'd recommend? I get scared off rather than jump in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's the one, yeah.

I keep coming back to Cogmind instead of trying Caves of Qud :v: I'll have to come back to it later.

Speaking of, what does the ! mean on some items when I label them, like in this screenshot of my start?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As actiony roguelites go Hades is real fuckin good, y'all

https://i.imgur.com/JWJqrVs.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Well of course, what else are you going to throw at knife-resistant enemies.

the sack, duh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my breaking point with DCSS (not that i'd played it a ton previously) was whenever "burn the books; eat the purple; hail Xom" was no longer a policy you could even follow--I think they removed purple chunks?--as it was my favorite way ever to kill time and maybe get a fun character out of it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my loving :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As someone who has a bad habit of seeing mostly only the rules that make up game mechanics, and not the flavor that is used to explain and justify those rules, this speaks to me. I think in fact it may be a problem that a lot of game developers have. Many of us aren't artists, or writers, or other largely-creative roles, which train your brain on how people react aesthetically to the choices you make. So we tend to assume that the game is just the mechanics, and the flavor is mere gloss over those mechanics, which therefore doesn't really matter. I expect roguelikes get it particularly bad because their origin was a period when system constraints meant there wasn't much in the way of gloss. Rogue was only barely more than a collection of pure rules, with highly abstract "art", no flavor text to speak of, and a collection of simple abstractions (scroll = consumable drawn from one of this random pile of effects, ring = equippable drawn from this other random pile of effects). And hell, Rogue was popular, right? So why should my game need to be more than just boxes and lines and bare numbers?

There must be literature on the topic of how to effectively augment your game's rules with flavor, whether that be art or music or writing or animation or whatever. I don't suppose any of y'all would happen to know of a good source to read up on?

It's a bit strange really, considering I'm a software dev who usually plays the Spock logic game to the hilt, but I tend to do exactly what Heithinn described in any game with any amount of character customization. I have an image--hell, a fantasy; call a spade a spade--in my head from the start of who I am and what I do, and I stick to that image, following the rules of the game as I go insofar as they allow me to be successful with my chosen fantasy. At the end of my last time with DCSS that usually meant "Roll DsCK of Xom and let the story develop itself"; probably one in twenty characters got anywhere at all, but it was still a fun fantasy.

Part of the reason I've had an easier time getting into Cogmind than Caves of Qud, I suppose!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You can commandeer ships for reasons OTHER than selling to a chop shop? :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OWH?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't think I ever made it to the second continent or whatever it was in ToME with a single character

I think I got close once but then lost it in a dumb way; I have a bad habit with roguelikes with lengthy runs where a bad beat on a promising run makes me not play again for a long time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do these hexagons mean in Void Bastards? Seen em elsewhere too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't really worked out the art of playing creatively or stealthily in Void Bastards, I just kinda shoot everything, so going to Hard or Hard Bastard is kinda scary :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

goferchan posted:

Monolith expansion hype!!! What a nice surprise

I was sort of wondering if we had a thread for that.

The new area that leads to The Warden seems a little too common, but maybe that's just because I go in even when very ill prepared (default weapon on level 1? sure, let's go, how hard co:gibs:)

(e) by the way, I can't make up my mind. You KBM or gamepad for this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, I could have sworn it was random. No wonder it drops so many "above 2.5x multiplier, get this effect" items

Is there a mechanics/unlocks guide for the game as a whole anywhere? I have all four seals, but I haven't beaten the floor that that unlocks yet. I've seen videos of secret rooms besides the usual, and something called Breaches too, but idk how to access those.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally got my first floor 6 completion in Monolith yesterday :toot:

I need to beat it on Hard next with D-13 right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It needs portrait/tate mode on pc, if nothing else :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Would turning on the aiming laser and hitbox be cheating, do you think, 'cos I'm getting trounced as D-13 :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

No why would it be. Laser just confuses me though (w/ kb&m)

iunno. prideful proscription i guess :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone else turn off/never buy any weapons in Monolith? I ended up turning off Swords, all of them save a couple uniques are too much risk for too little reward, it seems

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Silver Snail posted:

Nah, the bullet deflection ability of swords is really good, I just beat a major end boss I had never encountered before with a sword. First time I played Monolith I did turn off a bunch of weapons to give myself a smaller pool of what I thought were the "best" ones, but now that I'm replaying it with the DLC, I'm just leaving everything unlocked as I acquire it. Except for the modifiers that give bonus damage against certain enemy types. I think those are bad. Anyways Monolith is still really good, it's my favorite twinstick roguelite. I got the t-shirt.

That's a good idea actually, turning off the enemy type damage mods. I might do that and turn swords back on, see how it feels after that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

monolith is one of those games where i'd much rather leave all the weapons on and just have fun with the differences, because it's tough but it's also not horseshit and the variety is nice. the +damage to enemy type mods are definitely something that can be safely turned off, imo, though.
maybe the swarm pack too. nothing more depressing than an Akashic Infested weapon

(the other one that procs on shot is okay i guess)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

One of the funniest things about playing DCSS online was always putting together ungodly stupid boneheaded character combinations with ridiculous, unreasonable goals based on stupid intersecting mechanics, then having other people drop in and correctly point out what a bad idea this was. I splatted so many Draconians trying to get to the point where I could summon dragons while in dragonform, for maximum dragon. But people always enjoyed watching me splat, then doggedly pick myself up and try again :allears:
My favorite example of this is Nova Drift (a roguelite in the same way a hotdog is a sandwich, but gently caress it). Very "why is this working this shouldn't be working oh it stopped working. that was cool tho" with tons of variety - and unlike DCSS, no reskinned abilities :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In other news, I beat both Hades and Monolith as D-13 yesterday :woop:

Monolith was goddamn hard. But I lucked into a run where I got the unique Drill (that pierces the heavens); while it's running you're invincible but you cannot stop it until it expires (can collect ammo though). Let me get through a significant chunk of the floor six boss, then get slaughtered for 25 hp to trigger Quickening and losing 2 more by the time the boss exploded. That is a rough fucker of an encounter!

Finished buying Kleines' stuff, too. Hi Skully :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

That was one of the worst arguments I've ever seen, by then end there I'm not even sure what they were arguing for vis-a-vis game balance.

It convinced no one, debator or audience, of anything meaningful, pertinent, or even coherent

billy_madison_speech.aiff

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of Invisible Inc., anyone have a "here's how to not completely gently caress up" guide they'd recommend? It was all rather overwhelming last time I tried to play it, wiping out about 2 missions in :eng99:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hito posted:

I should record a video to get the micro-tactical stuff that I won't think to write down (I have one on my YT but I was waaay worse when I recorded it), but here's some top dome stuff that got me through expert plus

:words:

Dang that's way more than I expected; but useful, that gives me a good idea of how to think during missions. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I'm really not sure. I didn't win the run where I unlocked him. I might have been dicking around with Overlord that run but idk. Steam forum seems to think you randomly find him in one of the shortcut rooms so bomb open more of those I guess. Might also have been when you find a skull in the shop on a level with a vault and open it up. He follows you in and says stuff.

You can get some seriously broken runs with him. On my last run I had 4 giant homing lightning bolts + sacred arms. Each phase of the endboss went down in 3-4 shots.

You unlock Skully by luck; he shows up in a shop with a Vault key; buy it, loot the Vault, and he'll be in Kleines' shop (to Kleines' annoyance)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't beaten Database or gone beyond Tier 2 in the Temple yet, I get too anxious and tense as the bullet count rises and I wander into bullets in panic :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

animist posted:

battle royales are roguelites send post

no metaprogression no sale

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Metaprogression is a cheap substitute for reading spoilers that outline how to interact with a sink so it doesn't kill you.

tbh when getting through a couple nethack wins a decade ago, i found being required to read extensive guides to be really shite by the end. Still pretty much feel that way

(Also my metaprogression shitpost was just that)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like it but it feels a little sparse to me. It's a shmup with roguelike elements and not a roguelike with shmup elements.

I don't know about sparse - especially now, with the DLC. More bosses and minibosses, two new levels, new weapon affixes, couple new ships to play, some truly loving absurd superbosses to check your bullet hell skill against, and "unique" weapons

such as Genocide

loses some of the effect without the sounds, i gotta admit

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 15, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

megane posted:

Absolutely agreed. After a couple of wins, my main complaint with Hades is that most things beyond Tartarus just have too much loving HP for no obvious reason. The bomb-throwing asshats in Asphodel and... well, basically everything in Elysium are just miserable to chew through.

Hopefully they take note of how much more fluid and dynamic Tartarus is and apply that to the later parts.

the armored butterfly orb room in elysium :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I never played MMBN so the systems here are unfamiliar to me. Not having any luck getting past the third boss or so.

What sort of deck size do you keep?