Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

THE PWNER posted:

There should be a * next to every listed game to indicate mouse support or no mouse support for babbies like me. Thanks!!!

It is worth it to unplug your mouse for an hour and spend it playing your favorite roguelike. You'll never go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah Crawl is pretty easy to get in to, just don't expect to win if you aren't playing a lot/figuring stuff out. I would just go with that for now if all you've played is Nethack. Crawl looks like Nethack on the surface, the main difference being that it is fun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

Is it cool to do write ups for the lesser known and smaller titles for the OP?

I'm not the OP but no one is going to say it is not cool for you to do work to make the thread better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Brogue, DoomRL, and pooooossibly Crawl would probably all count as relatively simple to get into. DoomRL is probably on top of the pile here for being insanely accessible like Brogue is, but also having a really neat interface, music, tileset, etc. etc. and a level of depth that is amazing for such a short game.

I can't really think of others, to be honest. These things are all ones people have recommended previously and they're pretty much on top.

Yeah it depends on if you want a "big game" or a "small game", as I'll call them. I'm talking in terms of the number of mechanics in play at any one time. Brogue and DoomRL are small games, they are short in length and there aren't too many things to learn about. Crawl is approachable and you can play and have fun quickly, but it is certainly a big game, and there is plenty of stuff that one can ignore at first but will want to learn later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think Brogue probably fits the bill the best. (Nethack being the worst if you don't count things like IVAN.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My brain is never going to recognize/differentiate a some guy's vision of a goblin versus his vision of a kobold anywhere near as fast as a "g" versus a "K". I know this means I have to manually check monster equipment, but I can't ever switch to tiles.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

..btt posted:

Hey OP, nice first posts, and I get that you don't like ASCII much, but how about listing some telnet/ssh servers for those that do and like to play online? Here's a few off the top of my head:

Crawl:
crawl.develz.org (EU)
crawl.akrasiac.org (US)
crawl.s-z.org (Pennsylvania, US)

Added s-z.org. Playing roguelikes on smartphones via ssh works quite well, try it out! There are some ui quirks(I only play melee in crawl, gently caress the spell ui on a phone.), but it is nice to play on the go.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 8, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Roguelike Megathread: Now with 16x FSAA fonts.

EDIT: Anyone tried Full Mojo Rampage? It is supposed to be a roguelikelike(likelike) ala Binding of Isaac. I don't think I want to just dive in as I'm kind of sick of the (boring) recent entries into the subcategory, but if it's good I'll check it out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 19, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

Everyone knows KS are not preorders, but that's still lovely of a developer to just go 'gently caress it'. Especially not having some big problem but just decide that making games is no fun. At least release the source and assets to the backers.

Though I personally don't ever back anything that isn't already pretty far along.

What the hell is he supposed to do if he can't finish the project with that budget? If he's spent his 34k it isn't like he can be slave to his promise forever; he needs to eat and live too. His estimate for how expensive it would be was wrong, if he could have foreseen that then so could you. It sucks but that's how these things work. Venture capitalists don't quit and walk away when one venture fails, kickstarter was always a high risk, high reward "investment".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It's true that Kickstarters are not preorders, but if the rewards include a pre-order (which his do), he is 100% on the hook to deliver that or issue a full refund to everyone who backed a tier that included a preorder. Kickstarter isn't a gamble, a preorder, or an investment - it's a pretty transparent "Give me money, I will give you this in exchange, then go do this other thing with your money." If a kickstarter dev decides to include the thing he wants to use your money to make as a reward tier, then he has to deliver it or is legally obligated to refund everyone who paid enough to get it.

That's more or less why the Star Citizen kickstarter started as its own separate thing - the original strategy was to make everyone go through a special Star Citizen website that explicitly absolved the developer of any responsibility to ever deliver an actual game. Kickstarter actually requires you to deliver all your rewards or issue full refunds.

I didn't back it, but looking at the CultRL kickstarter page if the dev gives up on the game, that could go real rotten for him since he appears to have run the kickstarter under his own name instead of a corporation, so he could be personally liable for refunding all his customers with unfulfilled rewards.

Is there precedent for this? That is, refunding all pledges due to preorders not being fulfilled? I really doubt kickstarter will put themselves in the middle of any such disputes. If there really is a contract it is likely between each individual backer and the person who runs the project, so they would have to seek individual recourse.

Looks like kickstarter prefers to stay out of it, is there anything more recent?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/07/kickstarter-refunds/

It seems to me like backing a project is implicitly a bet on whether or not the product will be created for that much money. Trying to wring money out of him at this point seems like trying to get blood from a stone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I never heard of CultRL before it came up here, but that is awesome and you are awesome madjack.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

welcome posted:

What horrible things have Kerberos done?

The ceo of their company posts insulting things about people who bought their (permanently broken and awful) game and have the audacity to report bugs in it. I might have time to dig up quotes later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nephilm posted:

Hating a company, its PR and business practices (they were scamming both Paradox and the costumers), is a perfectly legit reason to not want to give them money. I like their setting, and it looks like a decent game so it'd certainly play it if it were available to me, but I cannot in good conscience pay money for it that I know will reach Kerberos.

Maybe if it ends up in a Humble Bundle and I set all to charity.

Having that option is pretty cool. Deep Silver is owned by the Koch brothers so I gave all the money from that bundle to charity, felt good.

EDIT: Nope, not true. Don't listen to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 31, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nah I'm just dumb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brogue is simple enough that it works really well on Android, I play that a good bit. You could try Dweller which is similar and has tiles.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can eat lembas bread to get rid of stat drain, I didn't notice this and was wondering why anyone would forge the gear that costs stats.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I really like starting with armorsmith + enchant, but maybe that's why I'm getting killed. Boots of running are too fun!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A new Brogue version was released. No more allies gaining experience by exploring, no more recharging scrolls working on wands, and more.

quote:

New with v1.7.3:
⁃ Redesigned the stealth system to promote transparency and tactical interest. Monsters now have a flat 25% chance per turn to notice you if they are within your “stealth range,” which is a product of light level, invisibility, whether you spent the previous turn resting, rings of stealth and the natural weight of your armor. Your stealth range is listed on the side bar and may optionally be displayed on the map. Hunting monsters will lose track of you if they are farther away than triple your stealth range (or more than two spaces away if you’re invisible).
⁃ Redesigned ally progression to make allies feel less compulsory and capricious. A charge from the new Wand of Empowerment will permanently increase the combat abilities of a monster and allow it to absorb one ability from a fallen enemy. Allies that are empowered and subsequently negated will be able to re-learn their lost abilities. Allies no longer progress in strength or abilities from “exploration experience.”
⁃ Score upon victory is determined exclusively by gold, the amulet and lumenstones; other items are not counted. To compensate, the amulet is worth 35,000 gold instead of 10,000.
⁃ Implemented conduct challenges, which are listed on the death and victory screens as appropriate (but otherwise do not affect the game or score).
⁃ Scrolls of recharging no longer affect wands.
⁃ Food generation is slightly more generous, and somewhat less predictable.
⁃ Sneak-attacking with a runic will either double the proc chance or increase it halfway to 100%, whichever is less.
⁃ Added a new trap: the net trap.
⁃ Added a new charm type: the guardian charm.
⁃ Added a new quest room: the goblin warren.
⁃ When equipping armor, the armor value will rise from zero over several turns to discourage frequent armor swapping.
⁃ Wands of domination and plenty are less common.
⁃ Added axe and spear attack patterns to certain monsters. Spectral weapons from multiplicity inherit the attack pattern of their parent weapon; nagas and dragons attack all adjacent opponents like axes; and goblin attacks penetrate like spears.
⁃ Negation charms have limited range, which increases with the enchantment level of the charm.
⁃ Pressure plates are no longer activated by items floating onto them or by aquatic monsters in water.
⁃ Grappling monsters have more health.
⁃ Nerfed the jellymancer build by preventing split jellies from inheriting their progenitor’s learned abilities or attributes.
⁃ Reflected bolts won’t turn allies against you.
⁃ Submerging monsters cannot have the “explosive” mutation.
⁃ Damage from poison, caustic gas, steam, burning, mutuality and reprisal now ignore magical protection status.
⁃ Poison damage pops up temporary alerts similar to health alerts.
⁃ Added a “view dungeon seed” item to the menu button at the bottom of the screen.
⁃ Summoners can continue to summon while they are fleeing.
⁃ Polymorph erases mutations.
⁃ Drinking a potion of descent will cause you to fall unless you are levitating, irrespective of the terrain you are standing on.
⁃ Pit bloats are a lighter shade of blue.
⁃ Bloodwort pods no longer appear in the side bar; only the stalk is listed.
⁃ Accumulated gold is described on the game over screen.
⁃ Poisonous attacks won’t affect inanimate creatures.
⁃ Guarding and worshiping monsters will mill about more randomly.
⁃ Spectral blades aren’t listed in the side bar unless highlighted by the cursor.
⁃ Centaurs and spiders will launch their projectile attacks whether or not the enemy is reflective.
⁃ Centaurs and arrow turrets can hit turrets, won’t attack creatures embedded in obstruction crystals and won’t lose their ranged attack when negated.
⁃ Shattering will free dormant creatures trapped within.
⁃ Guardians hit harder, and monsters avoid them better.
⁃ Potions of purple gas and pink jellies are referred to as caustic rather than poisonous.
⁃ Monsters that learn to fly will lose the ability to submerge and will no longer be constrained to liquids.
⁃ Weapons known to have runes of acid mound slaying won’t warn against attacking an acid mound.
⁃ Creatures launched by weapons of force will damage (in addition to being damaged by) the enemy that they slam into.
⁃ Fleeing monsters won’t become aware of your location if you’re invisible unless you’re next to them.
⁃ Thrown items won’t hit submerged creatures.
⁃ Runic armor with an unknown enchantment level won’t give away its enchantment levels from its description.
⁃ Gouts of flame appear when monsters are consumed by lava, similar to items.
⁃ Fixed message color issues when one ally kills another discordant ally.
⁃ Tweaked negation order of operations so negating an infected golem won't release spores.
⁃ “(Off balance)” status indicators appear only when a monster is hunting.
⁃ Fixed a bug that caused certain creatures to flee at the start of a level.
⁃ Fixed a bug that caused the vampiric trait to increase a monster’s max health over time.
⁃ Fixed some edge case bugs that resulted in malformed machine rooms and bridges.
⁃ Fixed bugs related to naming items.
⁃ Fixed bug that caused discordant monkey or imp allies to flee forever if they steal an item while discordant.
⁃ Fixed grammatical flaws related to choosing between “a” and “an”

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 13, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Play crawl and alternate turns. Better agree on that escape plan!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thanks for the tip - I liked the beta enough, I bought it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Quick question, has anyone been able to get this awesome Oryx Tiles to work with the latest Brogue v1.7.3 release? I'm feeling an itch of Brogue lately but don't think I can go back to none tiles.

I'm not a tiles user so maybe I shouldn't comment, but if I might say so, Brogue has some of the most beautiful ascii of any roguelike.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah if you like the feel of nethack but are frustrated by dumb spoilery stuff, just play Crawl. It has an actual coherent design principles as opposed to "everything we thought of and then some.". Of course if your just want to do random things like polymorph into a xorn so you can eat amulets for intrinsics, nethack is still your game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

drat dude, you should try again then. I'm pretty sure that was implemented a long time ago even when Stone Soup was starting to wind up right after the fork. I've played since 4.1 and the game is much less brutal (but a lot more boring to be honest, especially lately with the constant removal of poo poo)

I dunno I kind of like the direction it's gone, most of the stuff removed seems to be for good reason, and now there's a whole mess of new species to play with which are pretty fun to me, plus remakes of old branches. I'm not shedding any tears for blade traps.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TheMightyCheese posted:

Risk of Rain, which I posted about back on the first page, is out on Steam now. It's a pretty huge step up from the beta. Tons of stuff to unlock, an actual ending, and there are supposed to be more content updates in the future.

Why are there two things to buy? "Buy Risk of Rain Steam Store and Retail Key" vs "Buy Risk of Rain" seem like the same thing, but the former costs $10 while the latter costs $30. This game's beta was cool though so I'll probably buy it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

madjackmcmad posted:

This offends me on the deepest level. Not that you're wrong, but that there's a trend among roguelikes to put in super strong, cool monsters and the #1 strat by a mile is "run the gently caress away"

Figuring out the right way to run away from stuff is like, the game. You even get XP for it in Sil. Monsters designed to make you figure out how to best way to run away are a pretty legit design option.

I think its a very roguelike idea that sometimes getting the gently caress out is the best way to deal with something. 99% of games involve you being able to relatively easily kill anything you encounter when you see it. Designers playing on instincts learned from other game genres to kill you is a storied roguelike tradition. It also tends to make it extra satisfying when you do kill one of those.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sorry to open this :can: but rogue legacy doesn't feel like a roguelike at all to me, even in a world where Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc are all unquestionably roguelikes. Does Rogue Legacy have any roguelike elements at all? There's no character progression within a game, no permadeath, and you can even turn off the random level generation. The most roguelike thing about it is the word rogue in the title.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

It's also a game in which you need to die in order to upgrade your characters, and I think that character progression being linked to death is not only something that goes against the whole idea of roguelikes, but against good game design in general.

Yeah, the lack of progession within a character is what really kills it for me. If it had some manner of random powerups ala risk of rain it might redeem the game in my eyes, but as of now I have no desire to play it. I love the desperate hope in one's fleeting, fragile character that roguelikes provide, and RL just falls flat there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 2, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

OtspIII posted:

I actually really like the idea of a game where every time you die you get a chance to cash in on upgrades using the winnings of your last life, but I agree that the lack of progression within a run wasn't all that engaging. I think the two modes of progress could be combined into something really interesting--especially for a roguelike.

poo poo, what games did do a good job of this? Baroque?

Wait, why doesn't anybody ever talk about Baroque any more?

Yeah, I definitely have no problem with post-game progression, it is pretty cool in dungeonmans. I also very much like class unlocks in ToME4, even if some of them are quite obscure. I just don't think it is an acceptable substitute for your character getting stronger during a game, and I think that was well-highlighted in rogue legacy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That game definitely looks cool, hope they make their stretch goal to add "roguelike mode".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

madjackmcmad posted:

A game about exploring the ruins of a Mesopotamian bakery-temple, with procedurally generated leavening techniques and grain based religions.
Sometimes these arguments result in sweet game ideas like this one, unless you've been sitting on that for awhile. Please make this when you finish dungeonmans, tia.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Desert bus. It has permadeath!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Life sucks, it takes way too much work to level up perks and the currency system is such a grind. Also one game takes way too long.

I picked up some LSD and became disinterested in my character, and even the notion of having a character in the first place. I've been drifting since.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EDIT: Wow I responded in the wrong thread. Stupid SALR giving me rope to hang myself with.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Crawl's ui isn't THAT different from nethack's, save for autoexplore. It's funny that after all these years there are still separate buttons for "[r]ead" vs "[q]uaff" and [W]ear vs [P]ut on. I mean I'm talking about ascii mode here, but that's the best mode anyway. :colbert: I certainly wouldn't want things to go in the dungeons of dredmor direction.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Higsian posted:

Don't forget nethack also makes you take off your cape before you can put on/take off armour, and your armour before your shirt. It's super maddening sometimes. Hey nethack, see if my cape is cursed and if not please just cut me a loving break.

Yeah that is true, I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of "nice-to-haves" over the years. Remember to take off your cape and armour to put on your tee-shirt. I could imagine it going the other direction too, "You can't possibly eat that slice of pizza with that helmet on".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What specifically do you find problematic about Dungeons of Dredmor? I mean, it's a drastically simplified roguelike, yes; is that all you object to? Simplification?

I mean, my main problem with Dredmor, when I was still playing it (I think they'v released about 400 expansions since then) is that combat didn't really have all that much thinking to it. Most monsters were melee-only; if they had spells they cast them randomly and you couldn't really plan around them; you either successfully tanked attacks or avoided getting hit altogether (or some weird middle ground where you tanked for a bit, then used escape abilities to run away and heal).

The actual user interface was fine, though. Maybe a bit too reliant on the mouse, but it worked without any issue, especially once they updated the crafting UI.

I found myself really annoyed by the animations that played every time you used an ability. I think you could turn them up but they were still slow, and variable length so you couldn't even predict them. That was my largest UI grudge. I prefer ascii to tiles but I can accept that as my own weird grognard-y quirk. I certainly wasn't opposed to the streamlining of abilities, that's all fine, and ToME4 does it nicely. (I also played it early and without those 400 expansions as well, maybe they made it better.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Corridor posted:

It must be nice to be able to play ASCII. My brain absolutely needs visual representations to process most stuff

It's weird, I'm the exact opposite. I see a brown g, that's a goblin, case closed. I see some fiddly drawing and I dunno if its a goblin or a kobold or a gnoll and you could swap them and I probably wouldn't notice. I assumed it was because I have tons of practice in immediately recognizing letters that I don't have for drawings of humanoid monsters, but who knows. I'm jealous of tiles users being able to see enemy equipment at a glance though, too often I forget to do that and take unnecessary risks by not doing so.

EDIT: If I ever make a roguelike with a tiles option, all my tiles would be anthropomorphic letters with arms and legs and teeth, like the crawl orb guardians.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tollymain posted:

I don't mind having those different keys though. It allows me to look at what options I have in each class of item a lot more effectively than one massive [U]se list.

It's not a big problem to me and I could go either way on it, it's been normal for me for many years. I just imagine it is pretty obtuse to have to remember what is a scroll vs what is a potion for a new player, and having to use different keys makes it worse. The fact that reading scrolls is overloaded with reading books seems kind of strange too, as if they are grouped by what body part uses them and not what sort of effect they do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EvilMike posted:

Crawl has a lot of keys available, but it can be boiled down to movement, a couple abilities (spellcasting etc), and the inventory button. There are tons of keys for interacting with items, but you can basically do everything through the inventory menu on 'i', it's just slower. Basically 90% of the interface in Crawl is there for lazy people. Can't really say that about roguelikes from the 90's and earlier.

Of course most players use tiles anyway so they can just use the mouse instead.

You are right that Crawl has more coherent ui that is discoverable from the inventory menu, I hadn't really thought of it that way. It's probably because I tried out nethack buttons that I learned them before learning about the options from the inventory menu.

Most players really use the mouse? I mean I believe you, that's just insane to me. I get annoyed at moving my hands in numpad-only games, I can't fathom switching to the mouse. Vim keys are seared into my brain at this point so maybe I just don't remember the learning curve there. Do people primarily use the mouse for inventory and long-distance movement? I wonder if it is worth submitting a patch for terminal mouse support in ascii mode...

Also yeah, you can play ToME for free, it is open source and stuff. There's just always been a donate option, and that's what's on steam. When I last checked you get new classes earlier and a slot to pass items between characters(!!) when you donate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

iirc you can use the minimap with the mouse on webtiles, which is great and pretty much the only place where I feel it's more efficient than keyboard only.

And yes, buy tome on steam.

Yeah I use a huge terminal that shows the whole map at all times so I don't miss this, I'm a badplayer. I didn't buy a 2560x1600 monitor to play at 80x25 okay!