Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

phil did sample in a jar? i both need to and dread listening to this

‘99 he did it a few times. It sounded bad. This was not the run with Page and Trey in his band. I don’t think they ever played Sample, but it was a much better band than that ‘99 tour (obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Planet X posted:

I guess what I don't get is leading your fanbase along that you're going to stop doing shows, but then you turn around and announce more shows.

I can only speak for myself here but it seems to me like everyone is confusing "final tour" with never playing together again.

I doubt they're ever again going to play Star Lake Amphitheatre in Western PA or the Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas. If they announce 20 cities next year, I'll eat these words but I read a residency or a festival as being different from a tour.

It was certainly MY last chance to see them because my broke rear end can't afford to even eat lunch in Vegas.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dicere posted:

I can only speak for myself here but it seems to me like everyone is confusing "final tour" with never playing together again.

Which I think is a somewhat fair assumption to make. Though at the same time I don't know that anyone actually took that news all that seriously. There were rumours before they played those shows that they were going to end up at the Sphere. In all honesty I had been expecting this news for so long that until this thread I had completely forgotten that they had supposedly come to an end as a band.

Even though they effectively disbanded in '74 it really seems more like it was less something they wanted to do and more of a way to get out of the fact that they had been touring too long with rapidly rising expenses and were at the mercy of an increasingly unhinged roadcrew who had been double fisting booze and cocaine for months because they were operating on like 3 hours of sleep a night.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 8, 2024

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Man I wish I'd gotten a chance to hear the Wall of Sound.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Deadfeat/status/1756070976096551279

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dicere posted:

Man I wish I'd gotten a chance to hear the Wall of Sound.

There was a podcast a while back where the hosts listened to all the old Dick's Picks and did historical research, when they did Dick's Picks 19 they found out apparently the band played incredibly ear splittingly, deafeningly loud, to a half full arena full of cowboys or whatever that somehow got to experience one of the greatest Grateful Dead shows ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3KcGrZ-90

e:

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I sure love those 1970 Dark Star performances that dissolve into ambient noise and silence.

Why yes I have been listening to the Feb ‘70 Fillmore East shows how did you guess?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Masons Children was never one of their stronger vocal arrangements but the version on that show I always dug!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it’s also wild to listen to the harmony lines that Phil sings in that really high register, he wasn’t able to do that by 73.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

algebra testes posted:

There was a podcast a while back where the hosts listened to all the old Dick's Picks and did historical research, when they did Dick's Picks 19 they found out apparently the band played incredibly ear splittingly, deafeningly loud, to a half full arena full of cowboys or whatever that somehow got to experience one of the greatest Grateful Dead shows ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3KcGrZ-90

That's my favorite Dew these days.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
A cool thing about Morning Dew is that they dropped great versions of it in every era of the band. I was absolutely jamming to the high tempo set opening Dew rave-up when listening to 2-14-68 the other day.

(but for real tho, those 73 ones are the best)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't know of a better place to share this, but I figured y'all could appreciate it.

I just discovered the Allman Brothers Band Fox Box. It's from a 3-night run, September 24-26, 2004. There's a few things that stand out in it for me. I don't think any songs are repeated during the run. They did most of the Duane era classics, some later stuff, a handful of classic covers that ABB was known for (e.g., Statesboro Blues, You Don't Love Me, One Way Out), a few contemporary classics (Guilded Splinters, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down), some Gov't Mule, and Franklin's Tower.

The personnel list is fantastic. Gregg, Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks on guitars, Oteil on bass, Butch and Jaimoe on drums, and Marc Quinones on percussion. Butch and Jaimoe still sounded like they were in the 70s when driving the rhythm of the ABB standards, but then sprinkle in some majorly powerful duels with a lot of more modern jazzy elements. As much as I like Bill and Mickey's synergy, Butch and Jaimoe have a thickness together that I've never heard anywhere else. The way they sound like they're playing 8 splash and ride cymbals at once while doing constant little snare rolls always got me since the first time I heard them on the 71 Fillmore records. Warren plays very much in Dickey's style without biting it too much and Derek does his thing; they just play around each other so well and I can't always tell who is playing but they're not stepping on each other. I like most stuff that Warren does but his vocals and guitar work in this might surpass all but the earliest Gov't Mule for me.

Here are spotify links to night 1, night 2, and night 3.

And here is the track that caught my attention, a 41-minute Elizabeth Reed featuring Rob Barraco, who played with the Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCQfLDPAx8

And here's Oteil singing Franklin's Tower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ro7A1_nqdw

Enjoy!

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2024

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I love those sets and play them on Spotify pretty regularly. Definitely worth a listen. I dearly miss catching the Bros every spring at Wannee Fest.

Speaking of Spotify, anyone have any commercial live Dead releases to recommend that are on there that I may be overlooking? I'm in the car a lot for work, and Spotify through Android Auto is my main music source. There's the obvious Dick's Picks, and then Veneta '72/Sunshine Daydream, Cornell '77, the PacNW box set, and the From the Vault releases. What am I missing that should be in the rotation? Wish the Dave's Picks releases were on streaming.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Final Blog Entry posted:

I love those sets and play them on Spotify pretty regularly. Definitely worth a listen. I dearly miss catching the Bros every spring at Wannee Fest.

Speaking of Spotify, anyone have any commercial live Dead releases to recommend that are on there that I may be overlooking? I'm in the car a lot for work, and Spotify through Android Auto is my main music source. There's the obvious Dick's Picks, and then Veneta '72/Sunshine Daydream, Cornell '77, the PacNW box set, and the From the Vault releases. What am I missing that should be in the rotation? Wish the Dave's Picks releases were on streaming.

Not the Dead, but GarciaLive Volume 8 (JGB 11/23/1991 at the Bradley Center) is a really good show in my windshield time rotation.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Final Blog Entry posted:

60s: Download Series Vol. 6 and Vol. 12; Fillmore West 1969 & Fillmore East 1969
early 70s w/Pigpen: Fox Theater St. Louis 1971; literally every Europe 72 show
early 70s after Pigpen: Download Series Vol 8 and Vol 10; RFK Stadium 1973
later 70s: Download Series Vol 1 and Vol 4; To Terrapin; Red Rocks 1978; The Closing Of Winterland 1978
early 80s: Go To Nassau; Reckoning/Dead Set; Download Series Vol 7; Madison Square Garden 1981
late 80s & 90s: Without A Net; Nightfall Of Diamonds; Dozin' At The Knick; Spring 90 box set; Crimson White & Indigo 1989; Warlocks 1989; Wake Up To Find Out 1990; Saint Of Circumstance 1991; Ready Or Not

There's also an incredible amount of stuff across all eras in the Complete Road Trips Box Set, but on Spotify it's kind of difficult to navigate that release, it's so enormous it can be difficult to find the specific shows within it (at least it is on the Spotify phone app)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

60s: Download Series Vol. 6 and Vol. 12; Fillmore West 1969 & Fillmore East 1969
later 70s: Download Series Vol 1 and Vol 4; To Terrapin; Red Rocks 1978; The Closing Of Winterland 1978
early 80s: Go To Nassau; Reckoning/Dead Set; Download Series Vol 7; Madison Square Garden 1981
late 80s & 90s: Without A Net; Nightfall Of Diamonds; Dozin' At The Knick; Spring 90 box set; Crimson White & Indigo 1989; Warlocks 1989; Wake Up To Find Out 1990; Saint Of Circumstance 1991; Ready Or Not

There's also an incredible amount of stuff across all eras in the Complete Road Trips Box Set, but on Spotify it's kind of difficult to navigate that release, it's so enormous it can be difficult to find the specific shows within it (at least it is on the Spotify phone app)

This has everything I was going to recommend, and more, and the only things its missing I think aren't on Spotify (Winterland 73)

edit: Also hell yeah from me for the ABB talk, I love Gov't Mule.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not the Dead, but GarciaLive Volume 8 (JGB 11/23/1991 at the Bradley Center) is a really good show in my windshield time rotation.

Thanks for the tip! I love the GarciaLive stuff but don't recall if I've listened to that one so on the list it goes. Vol 2 was a highlight for me with Bela Fleck playing with JGB for a few songs.

trem_two posted:

Thanks for this! There's a good bit of stuff here I haven't listened to. I completely forgot that the entirety of Europe 72 is there now, and I've been wanting more Pigpen lately.

Just checked for the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack and was surprised it's not available. But I did find Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead from the Fillmore East in 71, so there's another Pigpen era option for the queue.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hundred year hall is p good too IIRC

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Planet X posted:

Hundred year hall is p good too IIRC

Gosh yes I had this on CD before they made all Europe 72 so readily available.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Seconding Dozin at the Knick.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seconding Dozin at the Knick.

Yup it’s a good listen

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't know if it's considered pedestrian, but I always like Without a Net because of the Bradford Marsalis Eyes jam.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Planet X posted:

I don't know if it's considered pedestrian, but I always like Without a Net because of the Bradford Marsalis Eyes jam.

That’s my loving favourite.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Branford Marsalis is playing with JRAD at Red Rocks this June fyi

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh wow. I might have to splurge for that.

I've been into Eyes jams a lot this year, and the yule log had one really good one.

What are some other especially good Eyes?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 25, 2024

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Oh wow. I might have to splurge for that.

I've been into Eyes jams a lot this year, and the yule log had one really good one.

What are some other especially good Eyes?

I actually like the very first one 02-09-73 - it doesn't really have an ending, which makes it interesting in itself. But it has a nice groove and there's a refrain that Bob plays throughout that he never played again and I miss it.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Listening to Feb 15th 73 last week reminded me of how amazing the Dark Star > Eyes > China Doll sequence is in that show.

For my money though the summer 74 Eyes are the wildest and the best. The Des Moines one in June and Jersey City one from August are real monsters.

Post 74, I’m very partial to the performance from One From The Vault in 75 and the Estimated > Eyes from Dick’s Picks 18 in 78.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 25, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

trem_two posted:

Listening to Feb 15th 73 last week reminded me of how amazing the Dark Star > Eyes > China Doll sequence is in that show.

Randomly picked this to start probably a couple days of trying my wife's patience with 10 different versions.

I love how the Dead would tease the next song during jams. You know it's coming so you can just hear those first couple chords or half a Jerry lick and think "ok, now how are they gonna get there?" As opposed to modern jam bands like Umphreys McGee who will do a 20 minute insane face melter and then BAM we're doing Miss Tinkles Overture now and you have whiplash.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I listened to all those suggestions, thanks. I forgot how good One From The Vault is so I listened to the whole thing.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I want to believe

https://twitter.com/HaitianDvorce/status/1763232547373256818

trem_two fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 29, 2024

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today’s 81 show has one of the best sounding AUD recordings I’ve heard: https://archive.org/details/gd1981-03-02.nak700.wagner.miller.90165.sbeok.flac16

Cool show too, tempos are kind of slow and the overall vibe is mellow, but the 2nd set is neat in how it keeps weaving in and out of PITB

E: sweet, same taper was at the next day's show too https://archive.org/details/gd1981-03-03.nak700.wagner.miller.90473.sbeok.flac16/gd81-03-03d1t02.flac

trem_two fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 3, 2024

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

So it was only today that I learned that Lady of Carlisle is an old English folk tune. The song came up in that Robert Hunter album that was posted earlier in the thread. Knowing that, it's unmistakable the Lady with a Fan is a retelling of that story.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ugs3wY8zU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghXjiiZxnU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I get bored of Warren Haynes pretty fast and a 20 minute dear Mr fantasy doesn’t do anything to help that.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Dicere posted:

So it was only today that I learned that Lady of Carlisle is an old English folk tune. The song came up in that Robert Hunter album that was posted earlier in the thread. Knowing that, it's unmistakable the Lady with a Fan is a retelling of that story.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ugs3wY8zU

always fun to find the folk roots of a lot of the dead's music, some more obvious than others. other good ones:

mudcat history of I Know You Rider posted by the old folkie who "popularized" the tune in the revival scene

nursery rhyme inspiration for Scarlet Begonias lyrics

Elizabeth Cotten's version of going down the road feelin bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwdFhWNL0_M

original recording of Viola Lee Blues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZCFtC_Nyw

early recording of cold rain & snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4eFaWZnn0

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Speaking of which I just found that out about Samson and Delilah yesterday.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Speaking of which I just found that out about Samson and Delilah yesterday.

most people think its from the Bible but its actually a reference to Earth's 2008 album, Jerry heard it in a prescient hallucination during his coma

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
A few months ago when I was sick I put together a playlist of the earliest versions on Spotify of songs the Dead covered, got 45 songs in total. Was interesting to see just how far back they were digging into the original folk/blues canon.

It also was a good reminder that Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly all kicked rear end.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

trem_two posted:

A few months ago when I was sick I put together a playlist of the earliest versions on Spotify of songs the Dead covered, got 45 songs in total. Was interesting to see just how far back they were digging into the original folk/blues canon.

It also was a good reminder that Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly all kicked rear end.

Let’s see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trem_two posted:

SHARE THAT PLAYLIST!!