Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Final Blog Entry posted:

Gov't Mule's Dub Side of the Mule live album with Toots Hibbert is good.
So is Mighty High

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
does this mean that the Goose guy is gonna become the new Mayer?

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1701281731964264845?s=20

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Unlikely. Phish is in the process of handing them the torch, they're like one gentle push away from becoming an arena jam band

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They make crappy music

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They make crappy music

I kinda want to agree with this. My subjected me to them on the drive from from NOLA earlier this year driving back from Jazz Fest. They definitely have chops and are no stranger to the widdly-wah but the songs themselves did NOTHING for me outside of the aforementioned musical pyrotechnics.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Unlikely. Phish is in the process of handing them the torch, they're like one gentle push away from becoming an arena jam band

I think the torch was given to somebody else at his wedding this past weekend.

Goose sucks but I like Rick's voice I guess. The moustache kid is cute

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I love Billy Strings, but he's chasing Grammys and magazine covers, not a life on tour all the time

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Oteil is on the Sirius XM station playing songs from and talking about his new album of Jerry/Dead songs. I'm digging it.

He was able get a recording of a flute solo that his brother Kofi had done on High Time before he died and incorporated it into his track, which I find incredibly touching.

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 13, 2023

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Oteil is a great interview, I love it when he goes on the XM Dead Channel. His perspective on the last Dead and Co. tour was really fun to listen to.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

If anyone gets the torch (nobody does, imo), I'd say Daniel Donato's Cosmic Country could work. Really like him with Billy and the Kids.

But none of these bands have a Robert Hunter so it's really moot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Is there an alternative to SiriusXM's Dead station free anywhere? Just live shows streaming where I can tune in and out without having to choose what show I'm listening to?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is there an alternative to SiriusXM's Dead station free anywhere? Just live shows streaming where I can tune in and out without having to choose what show I'm listening to?

http://gdradio.net appears to be functional still

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

trem_two posted:

http://gdradio.net appears to be functional still

It says it's playing a Phil and Friends show, but it's actually some financial podcast. The actual gently caress

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It says it's playing a Phil and Friends show, but it's actually some financial podcast. The actual gently caress

That was just the really long donor rap he did in 2008

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I mean, I know you asked for streaming radio but archive.org has streaming shows of pretty good quality. That gets you halfway there.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He was the man

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I wish one of these acts would try Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track after Terrapin.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Me: *losing it to the Nov 11 73 Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Eyes > China Doll* "man gently caress it, maybe I should just buy a copy of the Winterland box on the second hand market"

Ebay:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I did some more drugs and listened to that Nov 11 73 Dark Star through China Doll again tonight, it's really like the jazziest the Dead ever got and it's so incredible

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oklahoma 73 anniversary past and I forgot to say I had it on cd 20 years ago and it's the reason I'm a Deadhead today. Brilliant.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

trem_two posted:

Me: *losing it to the Nov 11 73 Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Eyes > China Doll* "man gently caress it, maybe I should just buy a copy of the Winterland box on the second hand market"

Ebay:

Hey thanks for this recommendation, it's the only thing maintaining my tenuous grasp on sanity today on the fourth day of my mother in law visiting and winding my kid up to frenetic levels.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dicere posted:

I wish one of these acts would try Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track after Terrapin.

Look what you made me find and buy

I've read the other Terrapin verses in my copy of Hunter's Box of Rain book, and knew he had performed them live, but didn't know they had ever been on a commercial release.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I put that album on once and my girlfriend was like what's this dorky poo poo lol

But it's a favorite of mine. I really like Lady of Carlisle. The guitar picking on Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track is boss. I can't say I care for the Jack O' Roses section though.

Ivory Wheels > At a Siding imo though my perfect Terrapin Suite would somehow have both.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Just finished listening through and thoroughly enjoyed it

Dicere posted:

I put that album on once and my girlfriend was like what's this dorky poo poo lol

https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Stuck at home with the dreaded virus so there's no better time than now to make an effortpost about The Eleven. Hopefully this hasn't been covered in the thread before.

So the tune is in 11/4 time, which you can count by counting 3 bars of waltz time with 2 stingers on the end. One, two, three, One, two, three, One, two, three, ONE, TWO.
That shortened 4th bar makes the rhythm feel rushed and frantic and fun.

My personal favorite The Eleven is Shrine Auditorium, August 68.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5McdXcZKbw

What I hadn't figured out until recently is that Robert Hunter wrote the counting lyrics in that song to fit that 11/4 time. You wouldn't hear it though because the dead decided to break the lyrics up and sort of layer them on top of each other. So Jerry's just shouting those counting lyrics almost out of time, in between Bob and Phil singing the other verses. David Dodd has a writeup on this at Dead.net
https://www.dead.net/features/greatest-stories-ever-told/greatest-stories-ever-told-eleven

Bob with Dead and Co., sings the verses as written and I think that makes it a lot of fun - even though they're a mouthful. It at least attempts to highlight how those verses were written for that funky rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDe8PVuCHrc

I don't see a lot of bands doing The Eleven, I'm assuming because it's tricky in more ways than just the time signature, but I'd like it if some bands gave it a try and sang the verses straight through. I have to give an honorable mention to Dead Meat very impressively playing it the way it was done in the 60s. (Sick paisley guitar too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dd30_nM0ZI

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always liked how it sounded when Phil and Bob were singing over Jerry. Personally I don't know if there's a definitive version of it though for me. They almost always transitioned into it awkwardly (And to be fair, it *is* a tricky time signature. You can listen to the studio sessions where they're trying to learn it. Pretty sure at one point Jerry is showing Bill and Mickey how to play it). When it came to singing it they just seem like they're a little embarrassed. Musically I like it though and combined with that '68 sound it was probably a blast to see live.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
well well well

https://twitter.com/stereogum/status/1735449274089943431

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Ew. All the footage from there has made it look really bad. It's way, way too bright with the screens on for a concert. The band is tiny on a huge stage. It sounds like you're in a warehouse. It'll probably cost like $500 a ticket too. Plus it's just tone-deaf in this day to put on a show at a $2 billion luxury project

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’d go I guess

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I’d go I guess

If the price is right, I suppose I would too. The show in Boulder was great but it would have been better with air conditioning, cushioned seats, and ready access to drinkable water. It would also be nice to not be surrounded by lovely wooks trying to scalp tickets halfway into the 2nd set.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Dicere posted:

It would also be nice to not be surrounded by lovely wooks trying to scalp tickets halfway into the 2nd set.

Wrong.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dicere posted:

If the price is right, I suppose I would too. The show in Boulder was great but it would have been better with air conditioning, cushioned seats, and ready access to drinkable water. It would also be nice to not be surrounded by lovely wooks trying to scalp tickets halfway into the 2nd set.

I think you’re looking for a movie theater not a concert

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I mean, that's what that orb is, isn't it? That's what it looks like to me. poo poo, I'll take it.

I don't mind dealing with heat or cold or whatever to see live music and maybe I'm generalizing my experience here but it pissed me off the kids around me wouldn't stop hustling even during Morning Dew (some 2.5 hrs in). Like ... why?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN63DDD9Y04

It's poo poo. Most of the show looks like this:

Only a few scripted sections use the whole screen. For like $1000 for a decent seat

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Cuo8jHPFE

good yule log choice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah after a few days into it, this year's yule log is good. There was some rough Donna and Bobby wail-offs last night though. And one Bobby forgetting how to sing Truckin. The Eyes I heard yesterday was great though. Also nice to hear Nobody's Fault.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 25, 2023

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

It was a great backdrop to having a few drinks and wrapping presents tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Merry Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzQDzB_oITA