Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Arms_Akimbo posted:

AFAIK it was The Dead's tour in 2005(?) with Warren Haynes on lead.

Spring of 2009. I went to all 3 Cali shows. It was pretty fun, but Warren is such a different guitarist from Jerry. Lots of bending hard rock notes and widdly-widdly-woo heavy metal arpeggios were a bit distracting but not used too much. I wish I had a chance to see Furthur, but they just don't make it to Texas often (As a teen, I saw their last show with Jerry in Texas, and that was 1988). Because I never could get into Phish, I can't say that I am excited about Trey being there. They seemed too nice and clean and didn't have that 60's legacy of the Merry Pranksters and adventures through a fascinating time in this country's history. Phish heads or whatever that I met over the years just seemed like Trustafarian kids who think the Dead are just old and in the way.

That said, I wish I could go to this anyway since it is their farewell. No one in 2009 knew if that tour was the start of something new or the last hoorah. At the very least, the scene will have to be interesting. I wasn't impressed with the lot scene in the two Bay Area shows I saw, too many paranoid heads that jump anytime someone walked past them that didn't look like a 'hippy', and lots of offensive uptight Silicon Valley yuppies. Like I said, I still had fun and got to hear Dark Star in LA and Terrapin Station at Shoreline. I was disappointed with the stage setup as well. They had a killer light and trippy sound system in their final years with Jerry.

I've got lots of waffling, then planning to do until July. I really hope they at least film this. A blu ray box set would be nice, but I can't even find the 2009 shows anymore. LA is worth having, for sure because of the rare sixties material they played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Juaguocio posted:

Pig was actually the only original Dead member to come from a blues/R&B background. His dad was a Bay Area disc jockey, so Pig was exposed to a lot of that music at a very young age. He was basically the "frontman" in the early days because he was the most confident singer, and a solid organ player too. While the other Dead members got better at playing the blues later on, Pig was just a natural born bluesman.

And on top of that, he was one of the early 'peace and love' proponents. It was said he was the one who told people as early as 65 to 'say hi to your brother' and get the friendly vibes going, and he was a drinker rather than a doper. He had to look like a tough Hells Angel type because Lesh said "otherwise he would get stomped on". People didn't realize how nice he really was, and for some bizarre reason the Hells Angels loved him most of all even tho he was in an interracial relationship. I know the Hells Angels aren't the Aryan Nations, but they aren't the most tolerant bunch of guys, especially back then. But Pig, and later Jerry, somehow charmed them.

I remember the last bit of biker deadheads in the 80s just as they were getting priced out of shows thanks to their new found fame, to the delight of Bobby who never liked the Hells Angels. Funny that it took the younger fans my age (we were called Touch-heads by the older fans) to gently caress up the scene worse than any of the crazed biker gangs. Gate crashing was not new, but crack cocaine, non-deadhead nitrous peddlers, and mosh pits definitely didn't belong at Dead shows. But that's what happens when you play to minimum 50k+ at every show with a minimum of 5k people just hanging around in the parking lot.

If you think "You can't Take It With You" is depressing, watch "End of Road". It covers that last tour in 1995.

Off topic, did I mention the time Tupac met Jerry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdvZU9rAtM

I knew Chuck D had massive respect for the Dead, but the idea of Trixie and Tupac together is just too cute...