Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If you're really in to studio Dead, give Dick's Pick's 8 a shot. I'm like you, with the exception of DP8 being my favorite Dead release ever. It opens with a lengthy, raw acoustic set that reminds me of their studio work. Then after that has an electric set that really grooves.

Check it out, it's on Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I got really frustrated with the difficulty in finding a specific dated show in Spotify, so I made this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/7IiR8OB6QHGFav5FjTYYiu

If you open it up in the desktop app, you can just ctrl+f a certain date and listen to that show, provided it has received an official release and is on Spotify. For example, I'm listening to 4/14/72 right now.

The playlist is obviously tailored to my specific tastes, so it's almost all full shows (with a few exceptions) and there's no shows fromt the 80s or 90s. Just 68 - 79. Now that I look at it, this is pretty much every Dead show on Spotify in that range, so listen away and get groovy.

If anyone knows any particularly good shows from after the 70s, let me know and I'll add them.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dave's Picks Vol. 10 Announcement

It's 12/12/69 in Los Angeles, full show. I'm really excited for this one.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did anyone go to the meetup at movies a few weeks ago?

It was a taped TV performance from the Europe 72 tour. It was enjoyable, but I wish the ads had stressed that it was a rehearsal. There were a ton of stops and starts, forgotten words, etc. They did "Playing in the Band" twice, near identically.

There was a teaser before the movie for the new Spring 1990 box set and that looks really great. In general I've really softened on my "No Dead past 1979 is worthwhile stance." There is some great stuff in 80 & 85, and 1990 is awesome other than Jerry's voice deteriorating.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

goldblums eyes posted:

I'm absolutely certain this question has been asked a million times, but what is the best Dick's Picks/Live show/etc. to start with? I'm a Dead virgin (besides listening to my dad's Shakedown Street which I'm aware is a lot different) and want somewhere to dive in. I assume it could be anywhere, but I'm weird and need someone to tell me where.

Listen to pretty much any show from the Europe '72 set. A bunch are on Spotify.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

goodness posted:

What kind of mess is this ticket sale online going to be :(

A bad one. Due to overwhelming demand with the mail orders, they cancelled both online presales they had. Which really hosed over people like me, who deliberately didn't do the mail order because there was supposed to be a presale on the 12th.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
After about an hour of trying I got some nosebleeds side of stage. I was actually trying to be high up because I wanted to be able to see the fireworks over Chicago during the show.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Speaking of books, I'm reading through this right now and it's very good.

It's a bit boilerplate history at the beginning, but then the chapters take an interesting structure. Each chapter is titled after a specific date and it tells the band story through those chosen dates/shows.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sorry, I don't buy in to the whole Bob Weir sucks thing. Like the entirety of Ace is killer + Sugar Magnolia + his singing the Marty Robbins and Merle Haggard covers.

Jerry is definitely the most talented, but it wouldn't be the Dead without Bob Weir.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LordPants posted:

There's a 30 show 80 disc box set coming out which has one show from each year that hasn't been officially released.

Of the years that I'm familiar with, they're all really good shows.

But still, 80 disc? What the hell.

It's only $700!!! Hopefully it winds up on Spotify eventually like the 72 Box Set, but I doubt it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cross posting from SA Mart, I have some tickets for 7/4 for sale at face value:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729098&perpage=40#post447283720

Also looking to trade them for 7/5 tickets.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's always going to feel different if you're there, but I liked the second set. It was great to hear Sailor > Saint, and Stella Blue was dope.

First set was definitely the highlight, though. Me and My Uncle, Tennessee Jed, Cumberland Blues, Friend of the Devil, Deal. Just some of my favorite Dead tunes all in one set.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Here is a pretty good tape of the first Dead & Co. show:

https://archive.org/details/GD2015-10-29

Mayer's playing is pretty good but I would legitimately prefer to listen to Phil sing and that is not meant as a compliment to Phil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Do people not like Greatest Story Ever Told? I feel so out of step with Dead heads sometimes. I love that song