Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey thread. I don't know what feelings are about Billy Strings in here, but I think this is really cool.

Billy Strings posted:

I was blown out of the atmosphere when Billy Kreutzmann said he wanted me to take a crack at writing the music to these lyrics by the late great Robert Hunter. I cried like a baby for like an hour after I hung up the phone. I can’t recall a time being so overcome with joyful emotion. This happened on a day when I was really doubting myself as well. Thank you Billy K for trusting me with this.. it is seriously such an honor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5bUipLGds

I think he did a pretty good job at giving the lyrics a Dead sound.

Also thanks to whoever first posted headyversion back in the thread. I've been doing the "listen to one song through the years" method for a while but it never occurred to me that there would be a resource like this out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DrVenkman posted:

Billy Strings is pretty cool. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him do.

I like Headyversion because it can turn you on to some great shows, but you do get some insufferable types in the comments who want to tell you why the Cornell Scarlet-->Fire isn't that great because Jerry hadn't mastered playing in the Mixolydian scale yet. And there's a pretty heavy anti-Donna bias with a lot of those types.

I'm not a fan of Donna but also I'm not a fan of black olives and will always get a supreme/Greek/etc pizza. It'd take too much effort to only listen to non-Donna shows. And it harshes other people's enjoyment, so I don't bring it up unless I know whoever I'm talking to also doesn't care for her.

After a few days playing around in Headyversion, it seems to me like there's a positive feedback effect for the top picks of the favorite standards. Like people look for the best Dark Star, listen to the top one, and then vote for it and move on. There are some great ones within the top 10 or so out of all the songs I've listened to through that site, a bunch I think are quite a bit better than the top pick.

Also, there's been a few I've listened to lately that have some ding dong standing right next to the taper clapping along for the ENTIRE loving SONG. I don't know if more Dead shows have that than I realized, but man when I noticed it, it got in my ear like a loud chewer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thunk:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HELP! I’m going nuts, does anybody know what Billy is teasing here beginning at 1:48:07 and going to 1:48:35?
https://youtu.be/s7GuAO-9bR4
I’ve heard it a million times before and my brain won’t unlock it. I know it’s both a song and artist I listen to a lot.

Sorry this isn’t really Dead related but I know there are some Billy Strings fans in here. Also it’s a really good show and y’all should listen to it.

edit: GOT IT! It’s Valley of the Rogue from Bela Fleck’s Bluegrass Sessions. Which everyone in here should listen to. Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Gabe Witcher, Brian Sutton, Mark Schatz.
https://youtu.be/E3_rBQWMNao

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 6, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have been playing these nonstop for the past couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRitojv8K0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTiFKr4Tp2U

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lampsacus posted:

Oo, thank you for this! It may sound strange but I have been getting into the Grateful Dead top down. As in, they have all these axillary elements. Blogs, many sets, personalities. Etc. The music itself is well within my circle of "drat good music in itself", but there is such a giant volume of musicians/bands in that circle so I don't feel too weird delving into the dead for other reasons then the music being good. Anyway, it might sound a bit forced or... Pretentious? But anyway!

My favourite tracks so far are: Eye of the World and Ripple. Particularly, versions of Eye of the World that are long! There is this one show where it continues into a drum session and it's *mwah"

My favorite way to learn about the Dead as opposed to just listening is to pick one song or suite of songs and listen to a bunch of different versions throughout the years. Once I started doing that, the way I experience them changed in a big way. Depending on how you process information, it really opens up how you can understand the musicians individually. I’ve got a buddy who was into Europe 72 and that was pretty much it until I started just sending him a different version of Shakedown Street every other day for a few weeks and now he’s starting to dive deep and send me stuff I’ve never heard.

It still astonishes me at times how interesting the Dead is. They put out such an incredible volume of music for everyone to hear and had these huge episodes of creativity and innovation that truly made them the quintessential American Band and a really important force in the progression of modern music.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any more, I only listen to live stuff (including Europe 72 and Steal Your Face albums) with the exception of Terrapin Station on vinyl and Blues for Allah. Studio stuff just doesn’t really do it for me now.

I’m only partly embarrassed to say I’ve listened to more Billy Strings doing Dead stuff than actual Dead in the past couple months.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hatelull posted:

I'm not familiar with Billy Strings. My go to "do I like this" is Spotify and he's only got studio stuff. I see nothing Dead related. :(

I’ve posted a bunch of his stuff in this thread and in the country music thread recently, so if you search my posts you’ll come across a bit of live stuff. His latest album is great but youtube has got a lot of live shows.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, Jerry’s folk and bluegrass stuff is great. I’m partial to anything involving Grisman. Them two had a chemistry.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey who are Dick and Dave? I never paid attention to who actually curates all the live stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks, that clears it up.

Check this out. Really good show with Pigpen. I stumbled across it last night while I was listening to 3/28/72 and couldn't take any more of that particular night of Donna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkznlP29TjQ

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let's goooooo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yes that Mr Charlie goes

And yeah that Playin jam is great.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One More Saturday Night is the worst Dead song.

I would say Playin in the Band because Donna just quit caring about being in tune every time they did it, but I’m probably gonna skip most of the Saturday Nights on this Europe 72 stretch.

Also, I was just thinking the other day that since Billy Strings came along I haven’t listened to Dead and Co at all and if he replaced Johnny Salami that would be ok with me.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Who the gently caress even is in the Jerry Garcia Band that Melvin Seals is tiring with?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

JamesKPolk posted:

theres a kick rear end reddit post I've never been able to find again that was like "you hate OMSN on tapes and then you're there and its saturday night and they do OMSN and its the best thing in the world" thats pretty much my trajectory

Yeah, I think I mainly just don’t like a lot of the classic rock n roll leaning songs they did and for some reason that one just sounds the most phoned in and corny to me. Dancing in the Streets is another one. I never skip them when they come up but I’ll turn the volume down.

Then again I love Truckin, Shakedown Street, and Touch of Grey and those seem to be among the most hated by old heads so maybe I just have poo poo taste.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was always curious about Cosmic Charlie. I really like it but they didn’t play it much.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve really only started to discover Pigpen in the past month and every song I’ve heard is :kiss:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Planet X posted:

The real quest here is to find the worst Donna Jean you've ever heard (I'm just kidding). I do remember one time listening to a Playin and my buddy and I just howling laughing at her coming back in way off key
I found her first or second show a few weeks ago. My wife has gotten so used to the Dead constantly being on in the house that she never mentions it but when I was listening to that while doing dishes she stopped on her way through the kitchen and just went “Oh wow that’s rough.”

quote:

One dumb anecdote: Terrapin station was one of the first Dead cassettes I got as kid. Love Terrapin of course, but I could not stand, I mean could not stand the song "Sunrise", which I'm sure is a common theme among Deadheads. Always skipped it. One time, someone dubbed me a live tape, I forget what year it was, but like a light switch I started to like that song because the live version was just way.. more genuine without all the production or strings and Donna Jean sounded good. Anyway maybe one day I'll figure out what show that was as it turned me around a bit on that song. Obviously not a favorite, but for some reason it became palatable after that moment.

Terrapin Station was my first Dead vinyl and I’ve always loved that album. I mentioned earlier not liking Dancing in the Streets but the one on the album is my favorite. But otherwise, Sunrise included I like the entirety of Terrapin Station enough that I dubbed at least a couple cassettes of it to listen to in my parents’ cars with tape decks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lately I’ve been thinking about how visionary it was that they recorded drat near every show and encouraged taping. Mr Charlie and Chinatown Shuffle are quickly becoming my favorite songs, and I know in a couple weeks they’ll pretty much be gone from their catalog. With other bands, even big prolific touring acts, if that happened, you’d say “Remember that one song they used to play, Charlie Told Me So or something like that? I remember that being good.” And that would be it. But because of their dedication to preserving all their work without even knowing how huge it would be, we’ve got it (hopefully) forever now. And there are still generations coming into them long after their most important years.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hooly poo poo what a mess this show was.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really enjoyed Dark Star>Me and My Uncle>Dark Star on this one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think 5/3 might be the best Rider I've heard yet. Harmonies are tight, Jerry's lead parts are wild and free, Billy has a great pocket the whole way through, tasteful little fills. I mean I've listened to Europe '72 a bunch and heard this version 50 times but never with several successive days of it leading up. It's pretty clear why it was picked for the official album. This new perspective is cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've never paid much attention to JRAD but a buddy is selling me his Red Rocks tickets so I've dug in lately. They are a lot of fun. I used to listen to benevento/russo duo so my impression of them was weird jazz you can't groove to. But Marco is a really tasteful keys player and just jams like he's in a 90s jam band sometimes. Scott Metzger is a fun guitarist too. It's cool how much they play around with other bands' sounds in their jams. They tease a bunch of Phish, and in some 2017 show I just listened to, they sounded like umphreys mcgee for a good 5 minutes.

Anyhow I'm jazzed and maybe I'll see you there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm diving deep into JRAD and I've come to the conclusion that Scott Metzger understands Jerry way better than John Mayer. Like I just dropped into the middle of an untitled jam not tied to a song and briefly thought autoplay had gone on to a Dead show. Metzger just has the tone and style absolutely nailed. The way he can transition from some aimless wandering noodling into a hard blues lead before you realize where it was headed, everything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really like Mayer and I like Dead and Co. I think he plays Dead stuff with respect and enthusiasm, which to me is more important in a tribute/cover band. Same with Billy Strings, the love of their music is clear when he plays it despite not hitting the tone and style precisely. But yeah, Mayer's approach feels a little more enthusiast than devotee.

I've seen a bunch of Dead tribute/cover acts, and a couple Pink Floyd. They often leave me wondering "yeah but can you do anything else?" because they put so much effort into perfectly duplicating the sound and songs note for note, and not always in a way that is good. JRAD knows all the notes and the sound, but they sound as if they're thinking "OK, how would they play it right here and now?"

I dunno maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and just making stuff up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Panic should have stopped writing songs in the early mid 90s for the most part. They did a great job at picking covers though, I wouldn't have ever known about Vic Chestnut or Jerry Joseph if not for them. Or Bruce Hampton.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 31, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dick's Vol 29 has a good Scarlet>Fire

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:woop:

Anybody know where I can find that Phil and Friends show with Warren Haynes from last week?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Eyes of the World lifts me up every time I hear it.

So many of Robert Hunter's songs are about America, for better or worse. He captures the idea of American freedom well I think, but also some of the bad parts. He always seemed to have some hopeful things to write despite the sorrows. Franklin's Tower is the only song he ever interpreted for anyone, as far as I know, and turns out it's kinda patriotic, a little I guess.

And like half murder ballads.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is a very good gift.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

I would have gone with the Casey Jones quote

I drew this a couple years ago while pondering if I'd ever get a band/lyric tattoo:

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Their lyrics are on my AA chip

Hell yeah buddy, good job!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've been seeing more and more shows sober for no particular reason and it's usually just as good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I almost never even have more than one beer at a show and always a pbr. I'll smoke up or eat an edible before particular shows but not even that all the time anymore. When you're old and you start to come down and the show isn't over yet it stops being fun.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I watch anything I go to sober, remembering the friend who managed to go see Zappa live in 1984 and wound up getting so shithammered he fell asleep one song in and didn't wake up until it was done.

A few years back I went to a Halloween show, a local band that I really like. A friend came in from out of town, my old boss and I dressed up like zombies, I specifically was dressed as a character that the frontman of the band plays in his death themed cabaret band. I had some weed, a Valium, and maybe 2-3 beers. About the last thing I remember was the lead singer recognizing that I was dressed as his alter ego and chilling with me for a minute. I didn't get into any trouble but the whole night is just not there in my memory and it bums me out because it was apparently fun as hell. So that's a big reason for me. I still like an edible or something for a real jammy show sometimes but I've accumulated some really good memories from sober shows now.

Also most of the time now I'm coming home from a show and there's a babysitter with my kid and I probably drove and I gotta get up in the morning etc etc

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A few months ago, a buddy sent me a 1983 show with the message "smell the horse on this one." Still a pretty good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Grateful Dead Thread: the musky smell of pacculi of the womens who danced and twirled