Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OniKun posted:

It's a drat fine documentary, all things considered. I really enjoyed it, and that psychedelic cartoon for The Other One (the song) was great.

It's tough that any documentary about the Dead is always going to end up about Jerry.

Great doco though, Jerry underwater is :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sorry, I don't buy in to the whole Bob Weir sucks thing. Like the entirety of Ace is killer + Sugar Magnolia + his singing the Marty Robbins and Merle Haggard covers.

Jerry is definitely the most talented, but it wouldn't be the Dead without Bob Weir.

I am with you, and I think Music Never Stops is some hot poo poo as well.

But c'mon, Lost Sailor, Throwing Stones, Saint of Circumstance are all pretty lame imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also am an unabashed fan of "Easy to Love you" and whatever the other Go To Heaven Brent tune was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's a 30 show 80 disc box set coming out which has one show from each year that hasn't been officially released.

Of the years that I'm familiar with, they're all really good shows.

But still, 80 disc? What the hell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding is that there is no definitive dead book, but rather you have to read a couple. I'd love to be wrong, if someone could correct me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read uhh "A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead" which was interesting and great, but as said it's like 1/3rd of a definitive work.

But it does shed more light on "Jerry Garcia as a broken human being" and how dysfunctional the band was administratively.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hollis Brownsound posted:

This is just a lovely cash grab by old rich people who don't need it.

Well, I mean considering how atrocious they were at money management I wouldn't be so sure of that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fall 73: They're all good get them all.

I haven't listened to much '74, I have those 3 warm up shows they did which are cool, it's always interesting to hear them work through new songs. And there's the 1 hour playing in the band as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Septic Knothead posted:

Seattle? HUB Auditorium? edit HEC Edmunson 5/21/74 or was it one of those Feb shows with a 1 hour Playin?

Yeah you're right, Seattle, and it's a 45 minute playing in the band, for some reason I thought it was an hour. :downs:

edit to add confusion my post was poorly structured and suggested that it was in one of the warm up shows. Ughhh this is what happens when I post before coffee.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Septic Knothead posted:

yeah I have the Seattle show in my files somewhere, that Playin' is epic. I was thinking (hoping) there was another 1 hour Playin' I didn't know about

Sorry :(

As this is a slow thread, can I post about the unloved 80s or is that going to horn in on your gig? I assume you're going to jet through the meaty 70s :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The National's 3 CD Grateful Dead tribute compilation album has been fully anounced now with tracklist, warning it's rpetty heavy on hip indie bands and even a pitchfork reading jerk like myself doesn't recognise all the names

quote:

Day of the Dead:

Thunder (Vol. 1):

01 The War on Drugs: "Touch of Grey"
02 Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends: "Sugaree"
03 Jim James & Friends: "Candyman"
04 Moses Sumney, Jenny Lewis & Friends: "Cassidy"
05 Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison: "Black Muddy River"
06 Ed Droste, Binki Shapiro & Friends: "Loser"
07 The National: "Peggy-O"
08 Kurt Vile and the Violators: "Box of Rain" [ft. J Mascis]
09 Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Friends: "Rubin and Cherise"
10 Perfume Genius, Sharon Van Etten & Friends: "To Lay Me Down"
11 Courtney Barnett: "New Speedway Boogie"
12 Mumford & Sons: "Friend of the Devil"
13 Lucius: "Uncle John's Band"
14 The Lone Bellow & Friends: "Me and My Uncle"
15 Lee Ranaldo, Lisa Hannigan & Friends: "Mountains of the Moon"
16 Anohni and yMusic: "Black Peter"
17 Bryce Dessner: "Garcia Counterpoint"
18 Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear and the National: "Terrapin Station (Suite)" [ft. Josh Kaufman, Conrad Doucette, So Percussion and Brooklyn Youth Chorus]
19 Angel Olsen: "Attics of My Life"
20 Wilco and Bob Weir: "St. Stephen (Live)"

Lightning (Vol. 2):

01 Bonnie "Prince" Billy: "If I Had the World to Give"
02 Phosphorescent & Friends: "Standing on the Moon"
03 Charles Bradley and Menahan Street Band: "Cumberland Blues"
04 Tallest Man on Earth & Friends: "Ship of Fools"
05 Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Friends: "Bird Song"
06 The National: "Morning Dew"
07 Marijuana Deathsquads: "Truckin'"
08 Cass McCombs, Joe Russo & Friends: "Dark Star"
09 Nightfall of Diamonds: "Nightfall of Diamonds"
10 Tim Hecker: "Transitive Refraction Axis for John Oswald"
11 Lucinda Williams & Friends: "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad"
12 Tunde Adebimpe, Lee Ranaldo & Friends: "Playing in the Band"
13 Local Natives: "Stella Blue"
14 Tal National: "Eyes of the World"
15 Bela Fleck: "Help on the Way"
16 Orchestra Baobab: "Franklin's Tower"
17 Luluc With Xylouris White: "Till the Morning Comes"
18 The Walkmen: "Ripple"
19 Richard Reed Parry with Caroline Shaw and Little Scream: "Brokedown Palace" [ft. Garth Hudson]

Sunshine (Vol. 3):

01 Real Estate: "Here Comes Sunshine"
02 Unknown Mortal Orchestra: "Shakedown Street"
03 Hiss Golden Messenger: "Brown Eyed Woman"
04 This Is the Kit: "Jack-a-Roe"
05 Daniel Rossen and Christopher Bear: "High Time"
06 The Lone Bellow & Friends: "Dire Wolf"
07 Winston Marshall, Kodiak Blue and Shura: "Althea"
08 Orchestra Baobab: "Clementine Jam"
09 Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: "China Cat Sunflower - I Know You Rider"
10 Bill Callahan: "Easy Wind"
11 Ira Kaplan & Friends: "Wharf Rat"
12 The Rileys (Terry and Gyan Riley): "Estimated Prophet"
13 Man Forever, So Percussion and Oneida: "Drums - Space"
14 hosed Up: "Cream Puff War"
15 The Flaming Lips: "Dark Star"
16 s t a r g a z e: "What's Become of the Baby"
17 Vijay Iyer: "King Solomon's Marbles"
18 Mina Tindle & Friends: "Rosemary"
19 Sam Amidon & Friends: "And We Bid You Goodnight"
20 The National With Bob Weir: "I Know You Rider (live)"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://archive.org/stream/TheGratefulDeadFBI/The%20Grateful%20Dead%2001

Have a read of the Grateful Dead's FBI file.

It's 90% redacted, and is just a collection of every time they are mentioned, mostly in request for help from the DEA with LSD cases and such and so forth.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

This is great stuff. I just watched an excellent Independent Lens documentary on the Black Panthers, so I'm intrigued to see their name in connection with the Dead.
"It would appear that this is a rock group of some sort."

I'll make a March 1972 post soon. We've been blessed with Charlie Miller SBD sources for all the missing dates of the Academy Of Music run, so there are a ton of great tunes to choose from.

I have or had (don't know where it is) that Dicks Pick from that run and it was gorgeous.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Terrapin is so great, man it's one of my favorites.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sweet_jones posted:

Does anyone have a version they would recommend? I really like Terrapin on Dick's Picks 29, but admittedly I don't listen to sets from that era often

Me neither, it definitely stuck around though an was often a highlight of the often jam adverse 80s. I would wager there would be a dope version during their resurgence in the early 90s, maybe a Hornsby one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jerry has the pedal steel with him, right? There is some burning slide work on some sappy bobby ballads iirc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I picked up the new release of the Grateful Dead July 8, 1978 show at Red Rocks (http://www.dead.net/show/july-8-1978), and it's incredible. The sound quality is excellent since it's from an old Betty board. The band themselves are in top form, and there's a ton of energy throughout the entire set.

If anyone was on the fence about getting this, get it - the second set is phenomenal with Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World, and then later with Wharf Rat > Franklin's Tower > Sugar Magnolia. It also has a killer encore with Terrapin Station > One More Saturday Night > Werewolves of London

I think it might also be on Spotify as well

It is, and can confirm it is a burning show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I love those quirky starts to the boards, when first it's an aud source, and then the board kicks in, but it's only like Kick/Snare + piano so you get like a really full dose of Keith noodlin' like crazy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheChaosPath posted:

Can anyone explain the 80's to me? I feel like this question should be more specific, but I'm not really even sure what I'm asking. I love basically everything about the first fifteen years, but every time I try to listen to anything after that, I'm more or less completely disinterested.

Heroin is bad.

But seriously, when I have time I'll try and answer this as best as possible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So apparently Bobby's latest album is... good?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gosh I love a good "Here Comes Sunshine".

Speaking of, I bought a new PC and transferred my HD over, and I was seriously worried I'd lost pretty much all of 1982, but then I remembered I put it away in a folder so I wouldn't accidentally delete it. Phew!

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR9QjezRGg

Check out the intro music for John Oliver on The Late Show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good stuff, keep 'em coming.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to some 76 shows. I know they aren't everyones cup of tea but they have their own quirks I like.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10078-the-grateful-dead-a-guide-to-their-essential-live-songs/

Grateful Dead further being re-positioned as part of Indie-rock cannon/royalty like Bruce Springsteen

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llyr posted:

Is the official Cornell '77 an upgrade from the Betty Board bootlegs in terms of quality?
Are the other May '77 shows any good?

Look, I think they sound crisper because of the mastering, and probably a better transfer compared to my Matrix copies that I have.

I can't recall any of the specifics of those surrounding shows beyond "May 77 was incredible and all the shows were great". I seem to recall one of them having this insane "The Music Never Stopped", for what it's worth.

edit: my point being not that its good enough because of "The Music Never stopped", but the band is so hot they can elevate that tune of all things.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 5, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shark Sandwich posted:

I'm a Dead neophyte and only really listened to Live/Dead and Europe '72 prior to watching Long Strange Trip and listening to the official release of Cornell '77 which I freakin' love. I know this is a super broad question but what are some other shows that are essential?

Oklahoma State Fair 10/19/73, released as Dick's Picks 19

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"The Grateful Dead are dumb"

Long Strange Trip is great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They often but not always have cool stuff with them, photos and essays which I like.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the Phish releases are terrible for this with no information as to why a particular show is inportant beyond a 20 minute Reba or whatever.

And I like Phish, but if thats true thats a bummer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

96 Port Hub posted:

Cassidy imo.

This

BigFactory posted:

Greatest story ever told/ picssso moon TIE

I can't tell if this is an elaborate troll or not, but also, I will accept this sincerely.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Do people not like Greatest Story Ever Told? I feel so out of step with Dead heads sometimes. I love that song

Its a running joke about not liking Bob Weir itt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

I'm right back into the Dead again. I think I was inspired by seeing Bird Song-> New Speedway Boogie-> Bird Song on a recent Dead & Co. setlist.

Nearly finished with December, and then I will have listened to every show from 1972. What a ride that's been.

Then you can start posting about 73! gently caress I love 73 and would love to read your thoughts.

Any solid unknowns from late 72 that I should check out?

Listening to a whole year of the grateful dead is kinda a weird experience, I did it with pretty much all of 1982 and I was really into the intricacies of the year and the differences between periods and the good shows and bad shows (Which probably don't happen in 72) and the combinations of songs that arise and then new ones that come later. 1982, for example, they didn't really know where to put Franklin's Tower they kinda, dropped a lot of technical material like Help -> Slipknot so some of the year it's like second in show in a Missisippi Half Step -> Franklin's combo, other times it just fits into the second set.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to this thread I started back on my bullshit, after doing 1982 now i'm going through 83.

First show me: "Man, this is some dope poo poo great jamming"

Online reviews: "Terrible show, band out of sync, what were they doing?"

Oh maybe I haven't listened to the Dead in so long everything just sounds great!

edit: don't mind me over here, I'm just freaking out to this probably terrible Stella Blue but I'm feeling it anyway.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 5, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

What are some of the best 82 shows? I don't recall you ever posting the highlights of your trip.

I have thoughts on this, and I'm making sure not to lose it as I write them up. Alas it's been so long I need to refresh my memory, hence the delay.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Viola Lee Blues when the whole band plays that lick for like 5 minutes and it seems like the cd is skipping.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

There are some good songs from that era like Viola Lee and cream puff war, but on the whole they kinda sucked back then

It feels like they only have one speed.Or one emotion really. And if you're into distorted blues jamming then I guess it's pretty wild. I don't hate it but yeah, I don't spend much time on it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

The blues harp really well

Is what you are missing from that sentence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding of the JGB is Jerry would just go out there and blast his 20 favorite tunes everynight meaning the setlists were pretty static.

I don't know, I had a live album and enjoyed it but it wasn't essential.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

An Apple A Gay posted:

new soundboard of a killer spring 82 show
eyes of the world is fire

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-04-03.142815.sbd.miller.flac2496

Owns. I gotta check to see if I have this show in my collection or not as an aud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always think about that moment in the Classic Albums documentary when he talks about the good old days and gets emotional and says "I wish those days would come again... they will, just not for me."