Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The original planned dicks picks 1, dicks picks 19 from fall 73. Best show of the best tour.

Had a very special place in my heart. Although most of fall 73 is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

I hope they replace Phil Lesh with Phil Anselmo

Lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat great write up.

Fall 73 is my favorite tour so I look forward to that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I don't listen to anything post 91. :colbert:

(30 seconds into Help): Okay yea this rules.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Grateful Thread - with a gram of hash stuck firmly into my cheek.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just love how they have a song called loser with the refrain "last fair deal in the country" which is different from the song called "deal" which starts with "it's costs a lot to win and even more to lose."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

So, uh, apparently this may be bad news for the future of archive.org in general? That would destroy me.

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?s=20

It's ironic then, that the Dead were the first to go after Archive.org.

trem_two posted:

Nice little mid 80s run I hadn’t listened to before is the March 86 stand in Philadelphia. Both Jerry and Bob’s voices are in good shape for that era and the musical performances are strong. They did some covers they didn’t play very often and brought back some of their own songs that had been shelved. Phil even busts out a Box of Rain that is really good.

There are some standard mid 80s caveats: terrible Little Red Rooster, flubbed lyrics (Jerry remembers zero lyrics to Shakedown), Healy being overzealous with the effects, etc.

The Drums/Space performances are really great, some really interesting and psychedelic Drums in particular.

This sounds good. Also it's not the 80s with out *indecipherable mumbling* Shakedown street.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

Listening to April 6, 1982

God thats an awesome setlist, Saint/Sailor excluded obviously.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did he do the sex change lyrics though real Heads know.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

A 17 disc box set covering May/June 1973 was just announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y4gQz01u64

gently caress I.... I need that....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fall 73 is my favorite run of any band ever sooooooo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Happy Cornell day

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Meet up at the Movies is Soldier Field from 91.

And folks, stone cold sober I had a loving epiphany mid Terrapin, not to mention a loving dope Shakedown and a Darkstar Jam.

Goddamn.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

this summer has really turned me into a summer 84/85 tours head

I've been Brother Esau-pilled

Hell yeah brother

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao fuckin Wise

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coming up on 30 years of Fall '73 in October, which I think is if not the best tour the second best tour in history.

Begins with October 19, released as Dick's Picks 19 and most shows I think are either released or have soundboards.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oklahoma 73 anniversary past and I forgot to say I had it on cd 20 years ago and it's the reason I'm a Deadhead today. Brilliant.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't quit your daaaaaay job...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never forget the time on a couch tour someone posted "I'd love to see Jerry try and play Golgi Aperatus"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dicere posted:

Man I wish I'd gotten a chance to hear the Wall of Sound.

There was a podcast a while back where the hosts listened to all the old Dick's Picks and did historical research, when they did Dick's Picks 19 they found out apparently the band played incredibly ear splittingly, deafeningly loud, to a half full arena full of cowboys or whatever that somehow got to experience one of the greatest Grateful Dead shows ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3KcGrZ-90

e:

lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

60s: Download Series Vol. 6 and Vol. 12; Fillmore West 1969 & Fillmore East 1969
early 70s w/Pigpen: Fox Theater St. Louis 1971; literally every Europe 72 show
early 70s after Pigpen: Download Series Vol 8 and Vol 10; RFK Stadium 1973
later 70s: Download Series Vol 1 and Vol 4; To Terrapin; Red Rocks 1978; The Closing Of Winterland 1978
early 80s: Go To Nassau; Reckoning/Dead Set; Download Series Vol 7; Madison Square Garden 1981
late 80s & 90s: Without A Net; Nightfall Of Diamonds; Dozin' At The Knick; Spring 90 box set; Crimson White & Indigo 1989; Warlocks 1989; Wake Up To Find Out 1990; Saint Of Circumstance 1991; Ready Or Not

There's also an incredible amount of stuff across all eras in the Complete Road Trips Box Set, but on Spotify it's kind of difficult to navigate that release, it's so enormous it can be difficult to find the specific shows within it (at least it is on the Spotify phone app)

This has everything I was going to recommend, and more, and the only things its missing I think aren't on Spotify (Winterland 73)

edit: Also hell yeah from me for the ABB talk, I love Gov't Mule.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Planet X posted:

Hundred year hall is p good too IIRC

Gosh yes I had this on CD before they made all Europe 72 so readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have been on a 1970 kick now, so thanks.