Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sorry, I don't buy in to the whole Bob Weir sucks thing. Like the entirety of Ace is killer + Sugar Magnolia + his singing the Marty Robbins and Merle Haggard covers.

Jerry is definitely the most talented, but it wouldn't be the Dead without Bob Weir.

You never would have heard them if it was the Bobby Weir Jug Band. They would have all had straight jobs by '68.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bobby's bad songs are offensively bad, where Jerry's bad songs are just boring for the most part. Its his vocal schtick in concert that puts him over the top.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

I also am an unabashed fan of "Easy to Love you" and whatever the other Go To Heaven Brent tune was.

I love Brent tunes but I'll also admit that most of them suck. Easy to Love You might be the best one. Tons of Steel is the worst. Most of them could have been Richard Marx songs.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 29, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Black Throated Wind is my favorite Bobby song I think.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah money money sucks. Half of Mars hotel sucks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That first set is straight up bad music. Nobody can sing except Hornsby and trey doesn't loosen up until Viola Lee. Mix is terrible too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
YouTube clips are probably no way to judge it, but it seemed more even than the Santa Clara shows. The lows weren't as low at least. Phil even kinda nailed box of rain, so even if he croaked his way through franklins tower, at least he carried a tune on one song vs ruining everything he opened his mouth on in Santa Clara. It looked like a lot of fun overall.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah that looked like a garbage second set. Why would you let Phil sing birdsong? Mickey could have rapped it and done a better job I'm sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's just a shame in general that they don't let Mickey rap more. He's good at it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Twenty years. It'll be all Jerry on the stereo today.

https://youtu.be/K3zAj93dwMA

That's crazy. I went to a van halen concert the night he died. Sammy Hagar did one of his horrible solo songs as a tribute.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rest his guts posted:

That was ethereal Jerry punching through the void, extending you a psychedelic thumbs up.

I bet that's not actually what happened.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Guys, I hate to say it but, I don't like the Grateful Dead anymore.

I mean I love the actual "Grateful Dead", but this last "farewell" show and now touring with John Mayer has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

I don't hate John Mayer, but he's the anti-Jerry, he plays hack blues licks, his playing has no sense of experimentation.

This is just a lovely cash grab by old rich people who don't need it.

wait, what is this?
But yeah, those shows in july sucked. But I saw the other ones a few years ago and they kinda ruled, so who knows.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oteil Burbridge is pretty good I guess. Think I'll pass on msg, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They should just throw Steve Kimock up there so he can nod off on stage.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facedesketernal posted:

This is true but you can't really complain when they added a free show at MSG. The whole thing is heavily endorsed by American Express though it's clearly been about the money. They probably already made so much off of ticket sales that they want to try to clear this whole image by throwing a free one in there. Probably costs them a small fraction of what they made.

Doesn't make the music any better. Getting rid of Phil is addition by subtraction though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I was THIS close to seeing Mayer's Dead but with no Phil, I don't see the point.

He was the worst part of the shows over the summer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

Also he has cancer.

What's the cancer equivalent of getting a liver donated to you and then pounding heinekens on stage every night?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
kindof a boring setlist. 1st set is ok but I can only imagine how slowed down half of those tunes are.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

I was reading the Rolling Stone article about Pigpen's death and in it they talked about a tape they found at his apartment, featuring a bunch of songs he recorded solo before his death. Does anyone know if this tape ever became available to the public and if so where I could listen to it?

It's a super common bootleg and not that good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I don't like any of those. Everyone sounds so bored. I've never head the National before, but that guy a pretty hilarious voice. The War on Drugs song somehow manages to sound like every other War on Drugs song. I guess I like New Speedway, but I'd much rather listen to the original instead of someone sounding bored to be doing a cover of it. Oh well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I always sort of thought that the grateful dead had really, really solid and well written songs that would carry the band through lukewarm performances (or would really shine when the band was on), but maybe I was mistaken? Maybe the grateful dead was actually an incredible band that wrung every drop of energy out of a bunch of super boring songs? Thanks, The National.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Saw a Let Trey Sing shirt the other day and haven't listened to anything but the Dead since. Someone just give me a few random dates they love. God I loving love summer

I wish Apple Music had more shows. I don't use my iTunes to load my phone with music but may have to

Boston garden 10-01-94.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't know if oteil Burbridge can sing but he still sings better than Phil these days.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Nice! Have fun :) These guys are at the top of their game right now

Unfortunately the game is playing grateful dead songs really really slowly.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw phish at Fenway a few years ago and it's not as bad a place to see a concert as I thought it would be. Still pretty bad though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheChaosPath posted:

Can anyone explain the 80's to me? I feel like this question should be more specific, but I'm not really even sure what I'm asking. I love basically everything about the first fifteen years, but every time I try to listen to anything after that, I'm more or less completely disinterested.

You don't like dead set or reckoning?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I guess that had every song you'd want to hear. Feel bad for people going tonight. Hope they like hearing one more Saturday night and a snails pace playin in the band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Not necessarily

I feel like they could bring out the following: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Truckin, New Minglewood Blues, Mississippi Half-Step or even an Eyes of the World

There's plenty of great stuff left! I'll report back later tonight, as I'll be heading in around 3:30

I was only teasing. Little jealous I'm not going tonight. But I went to phish last weekend which pretty much ruled so I'm happy with my one concert for the summer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Donna Jean looks an awful lot like Greg allman these days.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DJ BK posted:

I don't particularly care for Bobby's playing the last ten plus years. The FTW shows and the Dead & Co recordings all reflect SLOW playing, like really slow. I'd rather listen to Russo's Almost Dead or recordings from 77-78. They are too old and play way too slow.

edit: this weekend is also LOCKN' where Phish is playing and also WEEN and Phil Lesh & Friends. I'd bet that Trey or Mike sits in with Phil. I'm not going but I'll download to listen. I won't bother with Dead & Co shows. Just my opinion.

Not joking, I think it's actually supposed to be page and fishman sitting in with him. It was already announced.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ragle posted:

LOCKN announced they'll have a free livestream for the entire festival. It starts tomorrow Thursday 8/25 through Sunday 8/28.
Phil has sets Saturday and Sunday with a bunch of guys including Gary Clark Jr. sitting in. also performing: JRAD, Keller Williams' Grateful Gospel w/ John K, and more

Keller Williams might just be my least favorite musician.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I'd rather see rat dog.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The stand-alone opening chord is a universe. The sound of multiple vocalists screaming out the words betrays an on-stage good time rolling. Garcia’s mountainous arpeggios—using a deeply metallic guitar tone—are a study in Sturm und Drang naturalism; while the hanging pause on which the players reunite is big-band tightness exemplified. A perfect vehicle when secondary drummer Mickey Hart joined in 1967, here the closing jam’s leap into Kreutzmann/Hart-driven hyperspace is a premonition of future Rhys Chatham/Glenn Branca/Sonic Youth punk-jazz explosions. Strap the gently caress in!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Maaaaan that was a blast. What an awesome night at Fenway!!

I'm a relatively new fan and I've got a question: has there been a big improvement in the band the past couple years? Were shows 5 years ago this good? Better, worse?

This specific band got together last year.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
5-2-70, Binghampton NY (Dicks Picks 8) is really good. Acoustic first set and electric second.
10-1-94, Boston is another one I listen to every once in a while. It's a pretty great 90's show. Best scarlet fire they ever played.

Edit:
5-7-78 Troy NY is another one I had listened to recently that's pretty darn good.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 3, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't phil always loud in the mix if its a sbd?

That is one of those soundboard tapes where ALL you hear is Phil, Keith and Jerry, though. It's a good show.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 4, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wish that was a butt rock band that only did dead covers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That seems like a lot of money for music that is essentially free and easily available in a lot of different formats. I guess they charge what they think they can charge.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Audience recordings are readily available via public domain but not that many high-quality soundboards. They can charge what they want (I think $99 for four three disc sets and a bonus disc is a good deal, personally) because they’re limited numbered releases and highly collectible.

Oh I thought it was for a streaming service. That's not as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s too bad.