Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Llyr posted:

I watched Long Strange Trip and it got me back into the Dead. Most of my knowledge ends after '77 so I had never heard Althea before and wow I was missing out. I was exploring the '72 shows (a big thank you to the poster who was doing deep dives into that year) and the Veneta,Oregon is amazing. I've been using headyversion.com a lot to find great versions of my favourite songs then listening to the full shows that they come from. But I'm sometimes finding it hard to listen to an entire show mostly because of how long they are and half the setlist being songs I'm not crazy for. I prefer their upbeat and engaging songs to the slow and meandering ones. Don't think this is me crapping on the band though, I'm still enjoying this long, strange trip!

Should look for the highlight albums? Is that what the Road Trips series is?

My Dead fandom sounds a lot like yours. What I basically ended up doing is if found a song I liked from an album or a set, I'd look at headyversion to see what people tended to think were good versions, check 'em out, and then whatever one I liked best I'd add to a playlist. Full set lists are still going to have songs you aren't into almost every time.

Basically for me I needed to weed out anything where Donna's vocals were high in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Ungratek posted:

Been listening to tons of ‘68 tapes and they’re great for reading. Love the Dead when they’re doing spacey and it’s almost 100% that.

Any particular shows you'd recommend along these lines?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I don't think you can even buy them as digital files, they're limited edition CDs by design

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Dark Star, I bought this on bandcamp this morning, it's pretty rad https://plunderphonic.bandcamp.com/album/grayfolded

quote:

Taken from over 100 performances of Dark Star between 1968 and 1993. These are built, layered and 'folded' to produce one large, new re-composed Dark Star.

Oswald described it in the following way:

It's not a performably possible version of Dark Star. You can't have three generations of Jerry Garcias live on stage together - but there's this illusion of it being the Grateful Dead playing in concert.
And on another occasion. I've made a very unorthodox Dark Star but I haven't tried to submerge the performances under a lot of technique. I've tried to let the performances still speak for themselves.

I've also started the Europe 72 jag, really enjoyed yesterday's The Other One and Wharf Rat.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

Oh wow. I was working at a record store when that thing dropped. It was everywhere and lots of old heads came in to listen to it or buy it. I was not really into the Dead back then so I never listened. I had always wondered just what the hell it was.

What do you think of it?

I dig it, it's like listening to Dark Star on harder drugs than I would consume myself, heh. Like when the vocals come in and are deliberately hosed with it's super psychedelic, you're expecting one Jerry but wait there are 3 getting time stretched, etc. It's also works as fully ambient music for long stretches.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
After listening to today’s 72 show I am now finishing up the show on today’s date in 78 in Jacksonville. Really good, the Betty Cantor version is so good from just an engineering perspective. Really fun listening though some bass heavy headphones.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Playin in the Band at least had some performances with epic jams if you isolate them from the song itself

Those Donna wails though, oof

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
My take on 4/11/72 is that almost everything is solid but not exceptional, but then Comes A Time and Brokedown Palace both grabbed me near the end of the show. In addition to Jerry really nailing it on those two songs, Pig and Keith are complementing each other nicely.

I guess I’m always a sucker for those “Jerry does a somber song after the monster set 2 jam” choices, like when it’s Stella Blue or Morning Dew or something.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Lol I loving love Tivoli #1

:same:

I haven’t listened to them all before, but this one and Olympia Theater Paris are both shows that I’ve really latched onto.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So May '81 really smokes, huh. Really into these shows.

E: oh and March too

trem_two fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 16, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The PITB jam on 4/16 was wild, nice preview for the 2nd set.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today's '72 show tv broadcast is available, lower fidelity audio than the official release but still fun to watch

https://vimeo.com/101359380

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
that 2nd set :piss:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

For real! Does the "Dark Star" top out on this tour at any point? So far, everyone I've heard is better than the last one. That action is quickly becoming my favorite part of the Dead, just WTF jazzy chaos and slowly descends back to a groove.

I do know that the May 7 show in Wigan has a killer Dark Star -> Drums -> The Other One. A lot of people do consider the April 24 as one of the best of this tour though, so you wouldn't be alone in thinking that one is tops.

They had so many incredible Dark Stars throughout the remainder of the year. The ones from August through October are frequently great: the Sept 21st on Dick's Picks 36 (that goes into Morning Dew), the one in Jersey City on Sept 27th, the PITB -> Drums -> Dark Star -> Morning Dew -> PITB reprise in St Louis on October 18, or the one from Veneta, woof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JukZBGgv8I

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Trip Report:

Jahrhundert Halle, Frankfurt, April 26th 1972.

Another highlight and maybe my personal favourite of the night is 'The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion)'. A Pigpen original, it first came in just a few weeks earlier on 03/21/72.

There's a lovely, delicate 'Comes A Time' before another great, leaping 'Sugar Magnolia'. Just when you think they might be done there's a rocking 'Turn On Your Lovelight' that is more or less standard for the time if not for some really fun Bob Weir playing.

Big time agree on these points. The Stranger is my highlight of this show, probably my favorite Pigpen vocal performance I've heard to date, and the guitar solo matches the emotions of the lyrics, great stuff. The Comes A Time is also a stunner and the wah-ed out solo on Sugar Magnolia is a good one. The Other One jam didn't really grab me like the Dark Star centerpiece from the previous show.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The shows 51 years ago this week at the Fillmore East were pretty drat great (guess I should've listened to them a year ago :p), these were the shows Skull & Roses was carved from. Lots of guest artists, yesterday's show was utterly chaotic, the Beach Boys came out and performed with them late in the set, then the Dead just left for a while for the Beach Boys to do a tune but then they didn't come back so the BBs were like "ok, I guess we'll just play another one of ours then, maybe the guys will be back soon" and there ended up being 4 Beach Boys songs lol. The 4/28/71 show has a really great Dark Star -> St Stephen -> Not Fade Away -> GDTRFB -> Not Fade Away to close it out with Tom Constanten back with them.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I'm with you, the show was solid but never really caught fire for me. I did think some of the first set "staples" were strong, like Jack Straw, Loser and Me And My Uncle. I'm not the biggest fan of the Pigpen driven monster songs, so the long Good Lovin and Caution versions were energetic not terribly compelling to me. That said, there are a couple of solid guitar solos in Good Lovin and the Sugar Magnolia coming out of Dark Star was nice.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I did finish off the 4-29-71 show too, so drat good. Among the highlights are a great Ripple, a searching early version of Bird Song, and all of Pigpen’s songs are on fire, topped off by an epic Hard To Handle

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The whole section from Truckin’ through Wharf Rat via The Other One just incredible. I think that’s only topped by the Dark Star/Me And My Uncle/Wharf Rat in the Rheinhalle show for me.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Pigpen, bruh, just go hire a professional iykwim

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Listening to Dick's Picks 13, since it was on today's date in 1981. Listening to Sailor/Saint while working...realizing that Brent has been jamming away for a while...a long while...and then see that Saint alone is 43 minutes long. Turns out they just shoved a Scarlet/Fire from 2 years prior into that track for some reason :okpos:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Turns out there was supposed to be a show in Lille on the 5th, but as told by the band's manager

quote:

May 5. Lille, France. We’re meant to do gig in Lille, however … One of the equipment guys thumps a fan. Irate youth returns, puts sugar and pisses in gas tank of truck, sticks potato in exhaust pipe so the truck breaks down. Equipment never leaves Paris. Being followed around by radical French students who want us to put on free show. French promoter goes out on the stage to tell crowd that the Dead aren’t gonna play. Hall goes ape poo poo. Band freaks out. Situation getting ugly fast. Real concern there’s gonna be a serious riot. Sneak out to the buses and make ignominious dash for it. Have to lower Donna Godchaux out back window of the place. Put her down on the top of the equipment truck that’s parked right underneath the window then down onto the tailgate. Ridden out of town on a rail by frog revolutionaries, who are still after our asses. Have to reimburse promoter and promise we’ll come back to do free show.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Also, I finished today's 72 show while mowing the yard. I was tired, sweaty, wanting a beer, get in the car to drive to the store to buy some and the radio is tuned to the Sirius channel for the Dead, and it's playing...Dark Star from May 7, 1972

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Llyr posted:

5/10/72 is too laid back for me. Sounds sleepy in most parts and the China-Rider is downright boring.

Yeah, I was attributing my relative apathy about this show to general fatigue at being over a dozen shows deep into very long, very similar set lists, but I think you are actually right. The only things that grabbed me were PITB, Wharf Rat and The Stranger. All of The Other One just sort of drifted by for me.

In the afternoon today I listened to the 5/10/78 show that is half of Dick's Picks 25, some of it is really hot, but jeez they sound coked out beyond belief, Donna is going batshit at the end of Deal. But yeah, otherwise there are super nice versions of Let It Grow, Wharf Rat, Estimated -> Eyes, and while the Drums was really excessive, the version of The Other One that emerges from it was good too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this was a show very heavy on Pigpen fronted tunes, and they were all pretty strong imo. Morning Dew was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the Dark Star/Space/Drums, got very spaced out and jazzy before bringing it back for a strong psych guitar finish.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today's 72 show in Lille is a really good one. The China -> Rider really smokes, and that momentum carries through the end of the first set, honestly think this is one of the better first sets of the tour so far. Truckin' rocks, 30 minutes of The Other One gets really spacey and jazzy without completely falling apart, and the Sugar Magnolia/Not Fade Away/GDTRFB/Not Fade Away that lead up to the closing Saturday Night are all full of some really sweet licks by Jerry.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today in 1974 was the 3rd Wall Of Sound show, but by some accounts this was the first one where they had worked out the kinks, and it is just superb. Keith in particular was really on top of his game, and the set lists at this point were :discourse: I really love '74 so much.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
It is pretty wild to see how his appearance changed between like 1970 up to the Europe 72 tour :(

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
While I admit I started to get a bit worn out on the 72 tour about 2/3rds of the way through, I'm glad I persisted, it was fun and I enjoyed the ride :)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Also, listening to todays date in 1980 and it’s really good so far. There’s a completely unnecessary El Paso>Mexicali that I couldn’t skip fast enough and a Brent song that sucks poo poo but the rest has been cool. Some Iowans had fun 42 years ago

Far From Me is consistently a blight on those early 80s shows that are frequently great otherwise.

I heard the Sept. 19, 1970 Dark Star for the first time yesterday, and let me just say: :vince:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I just listened to all of today's 1980 show in Des Moines while doing chores, that's a super great sounding AUD recording. The two guys next to the taper were so polite and excited about Candyman. Good show (once you skip the Brent song and Drums).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

I've instead skipped ahead in the year. I'm going to write a little about what was left in 72 for the band, but it's wild that even if you skip ahead a little to July (which is only really like 3 shows removed from the end of the Europe tour), they're already starting to sound like a different band. Losing Pigpen meant Keith stepped up more and they're about to start bringing in songs from 'Wake of The Flood'. Obviously things hit a high point with the Veneta show, but September 72 is one for the ages as well.

By the time they debut 'Eyes Of The World' in their first show of 73 they feel fundamentally different.

The September shows are rightfully considered a peak, but I absolutely love the November run too. I do really love the post Pigpen 72 era in general, massive PITB/TOO/DS/Truckin' versions, many great Bird Song and Cumberland Blues spots in the first sets of shows, lotsa good Stella Blues, and the early Mississippi Half-Step and Weather Report Suite Intro versions really point the way to 73's setlists.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
great Dark Star versions I have listened to in the past week:

Sept 19, 1970 (if I had to choose my favorite of all time right now it's probably this one, I've listened to it so many times since I first listened to it last week lol)
December 18, 1973
February 18, 1971
November 19, 1972

there's always more!

I also have a lot of affection for the Veneta 72 and Winterland 74 versions, not only are they incredible on their own musical merits, it's also rad that there are high quality videos of the performances easily available.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I always just assumed Donna slowed down her lifestyle after the hiatus because she had a kid. Although, there are some 78 shows where she is pretty off the rails vocally, some of the vocals on 1978 versions of Deal are bonkers (all the guys sound insane too tbf).

No argument on Looks alike Rain for the most part. The versions early on the 72 Europe tour are rad because of Jerry’s pedal steel playing. By the late 70s it’s a slog every time.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I’m listening to todays show from 73 and I really liked the Looks Like Rain :tipshat:

The ones that I suffered through recently were post hiatus, maybe that’s the divide

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Bobby’s short shorts:Grateful Dead::Phil’s sweat bands:Grateful Dead

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/21stcenturydead/status/1263998655884865536?s=21&t=8eMLrTY8X5SmMKarhny-Yw

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Finishing up today's show form 1980, it's a good one. From Althea through the end of the show, everything is really on. The chilled out Not Fade Away -> Black Peter after Drums/Space near the end of the show was a highlight I wasn't expecting.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I was at last night's show. It was killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This was my first Dead and Co show. In some way the vibes are weird because the 3 “ringers” are definitely doing a majority of the heavy lifting musically. Also you have to come to the terms with, say, The John Mayer Voice singing Althea. But the playing is truly great, Bob is definitely the band leader and still knows how to decide when to keep jamming or wind things up.

And, dare I say it, the ridiculous Drums segment last night was fun, had a bit of an industrial music vibe honestly. The crowd near me were eating it up.

I felt like I hit the jackpot on their set list last night though, was basically a Europe 72 set plus huge Let It Grow and Althea versions. The Other One and Wharf Rat were fantastic.