Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just found this thread and wanted to say thank you for starting it and I'm going to go back and read every post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Yiggy posted:

Can someone explain to me why Billy hates John K?

Where'd you hear this?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I thought the fact that Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth cited Bob Weir's playing so highly was interesting.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

BigFactory posted:

They should just throw Steve Kimock up there so he can nod off on stage.

What, does he have the same issues that Jerry did?

Man I don't know what to think of this. You do a final tour, then turn right around and start touring again. Oh, wait, I see now, it's not as The Grateful Dead, it's under a different banner. At least they could have waited longer before hitting the road again.

Ah, what do I care, I didn't get to see them during their formative years, so it's not like it matters.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Mr Charlie is always such a great song

I feel sorry for Pig but at least we have the music to enjoy

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Early to mid 80s, AFAIK, but he did it for quite a long time.

There's a great book "So Many Roads" which folks in this thread may be interested in. It captures interesting and significant moments in the band's history (Acid Tests, Europe, Pyramids, Touch of Grey taking off, etc), and speaks to where they were at that time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love Ramble on Rose. Reminds me of a specific time in my life, as that song was playing when I found out that I was moving out of (ironically) Northern California. In retrospect it was a good move, and the phrase "the grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter either side of the hill" helped me keep things in perspective.

I'm a strat guy, so I really love Jerry's Alligator (guitar) period. That maple neck is really bright and I think that while he doesn't stray far from the melody on this one, I have always loved his expressive playing on this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r701eJz12ZE

I have had my share of laughs over the years at Donna Jean singing some clams, especially coming back in at the end of the Playin jam for sure. I did see somewhere on some documentary that she was defending herself a bit by saying that she went from Muscle Shoals recording studio, essentially an extremely controlled environment - to shortly thereafter being plopped down in front of the wall of sound and couldnt hear anything half the time. Ah well, she sounds good on some stuff and not so great on others.

The real quest here is to find the worst Donna Jean you've ever heard (I'm just kidding). I do remember one time listening to a Playin and my buddy and I just howling laughing at her coming back in way off key

One dumb anecdote: Terrapin station was one of the first Dead cassettes I got as kid. Love Terrapin of course, but I could not stand, I mean could not stand the song "Sunrise", which I'm sure is a common theme among Deadheads. Always skipped it. One time, someone dubbed me a live tape, I forget what year it was, but like a light switch I started to like that song because the live version was just way.. more genuine without all the production or strings and Donna Jean sounded good. Anyway maybe one day I'll figure out what show that was as it turned me around a bit on that song. Obviously not a favorite, but for some reason it became palatable after that moment.

I really like this thread so thanks yall

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks to this thread I've been on a huge Dead kick, been listening to the podcasts and absorbing a lot of the 70s shows. Been going back to some of the 60s shows and dabbling a bit in the 80s. It's got me down a guitar rabbit hole on major scales and modes trying to play along with Jerry, and this is something I've been needing to do for a while.

My buddy said "I heard the worst version of Estimated Prophet the other day"

I said "by who"

He said "The Grateful Dead"

lol I was like what year and he said I dunno, 89 or something. Of course, not their best period. We had a good laugh

With all the Pigpen chat, I want to go back and dig into some of that some more. I lived on the Peninsula for 7 years and never visited his grave, I don't even think I knew it was there in Menlo Park or wherever :smith:

I rewatched that series on Netflix about them too, super interesting. I'm probably going to pick up Billys book, I don't know if anyone here has read it and has thoughts.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 26, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
2/13-14 1970 is a strong one, IIRC

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:chanpop:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

BigFactory posted:

Over the course of the summer Dead and Co slowly morph into Sausage.

Ha, I was thinking the same. Can you imagine them playing Riddles Are Abound Tonight

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
On 80s chat:

I never saw the Dead, but consider myself a Deadhead and big fan. I suppose a fair weather fan, as I have essentially avoided (or just not put much intentional listening time) into anything after 78.

Now - during the 90s, I had a bunch of live cassettes from 80s shows as did a bunch of folks, so it's not like I have never listened to any 80s shows. Matter of fact, the first dead tape I bought was Dead Set, which is an 80s show. It's just that if I'm going to listen to something, I prefer their energy and quality, musically of the 60s and 70s. I really don't like that they slowed down St Stephen, Friend of the Devil, Bertha, etc. That Bertha on Skull and Roses is just the best to me. There were a lot of tepid dead shows during this period I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm to the point though to where I know there's good 80s shows in there, and I want to find and explore them, so I'll probably start with Dicks / Daves picks, but if anyone has any thoughts on some standout 80s or even 90s shows, I'm all ears.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Thank you, this is more than helpful, hopefully it helps other goons in here too. A '91 Eyes came on youtube the other day that was pretty decent. I caught a bit of what you mean about Vince's synths.

That Without A Net record a while back with Branford Marsalis was really good, I'll probably go back to that too. Currently listening to the Madison Square Garden episodes of the Deadcast.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This is silly, but i'll put it here anyway:

I was listening to a Dead show on college radio decades ago, and I seem to recall at the end of one of the songs, Jerry and Bob started arguing, and it was definitely audible in the recording. As they continued, the crowd picked up on it and started cheering before it quickly faded out, I suppose as they stepped away from the mics.

This could have been several shows, but if anyone knows what I'm referring to, post it up. Not trying to dwell on the negative at all as that band had plenty of struggles, but listening to some shows just reminded me of it. I think it was an 80s or 90s show but I'm not sure.

I know it's been out for some time now, but I just finished Phil's book. A good read.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Two from the vault has a really powerful St Stephen on it. My favorite, really. Jerry is on fire!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

algebra testes posted:

Sorry I don't listen to anything post 91. :colbert:

(30 seconds into Help): Okay yea this rules.

Yeah same, playing this one today its pretty good

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think some of my favorite jerry singing is on the pizza tapes. It's not his best at all but the way he just kind of gently croons and wanders fits the vibe of the record so perfectly.

I absolutely love that Shady Grove on that record.

Tony Rice is just amazing and the interplay is fun, as it's the first time he and and Jerry had met

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Didnt they just finish their final farewell tour or whatever? I'd be pissed if I had gone out of my way to see them on that then they do this, but I suppose that's not surprising. Plenty of bands have multiple "farewell" tours, I saw KISS on one lol

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dicere posted:

I read Phil's book over the summer and boy oh boy did he harp on about the band never having money. They'd play shows, make money, get ripped off, play shows, lose money, get ripped off, drop albums to pay off debts, drop albums because it was less expensive than touring, tour anyway. Jerry slipped into his coma and they were back on the road that same year in part because they were failing to keep their company(ies) solvent.

I just can't get that worked up about people cashing in on Grateful Dead music at some luxury venue - least of all the band's survivors.

That part stuck out to me too - the fact that he (IIRC) was pretty anxious when the band took hiatuses or when Jerry died, as there wasn't any savings. On one hand, hard to believe, but once you get under the surface, you see this huge rudderless, bloated business with bad decisions and lack of leadership. They had grown too much to stop touring, which would have impacted the livelihoods of those in the org. Ended up impacting Jerry's life the most, one could say.

I can't blame the remaining members for wanting to continue touring and cashing in on the name, but also at this point, I'd figure that they are probably reasonably set, especially in their advanced age. In the Netflix doc, Bob was driving a late model Tesla and Billy lives in Kuai. I guess what I don't get is leading your fanbase along that you're going to stop doing shows, but then you turn around and announce more shows.

Hey, it's their lives and business, so thats fine I guess. I could see the appeal of seeing the various Dead offshoots with original members, but personally I'd much rather see a young cover band firing on all cylinders and playing the good ol' tunes at tempo.

I really like this thread :tipshat:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Masons Children was never one of their stronger vocal arrangements but the version on that show I always dug!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hundred year hall is p good too IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't know if it's considered pedestrian, but I always like Without a Net because of the Bradford Marsalis Eyes jam.