Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Seeing Dead & Co in Boulder on night two. Never miss a Sunday show, right?

Edit: I also heard Oteil announce he's putting out a solo album of Jerry ballads. I'm looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Aw poo poo Weirs got a slide

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Mickey rapped the last verse of Fire On The Mountain last night

And Oteil broke out the bass banjo.

The heat almost took me last night. A rando hustler was selling waters outside the stadium and she saved my life. There was nothing formal or official outside the venue to keep people alive.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

trem_two posted:

Yeah I’m on day 3 today and I’m completely beat down, physically. I was lucky to get into that grocery store on Folsom St with 5 minutes before they closed, and got some water. I also couldn’t hail a car back to my Airbnb after Saturday night’s show until 1:15am, way too far to walk unfortunately.

The music has been amazing. The entire experience has been a bit of a grind at my age. I’ve been queuing up at the security gates extra early so I can get a GA seat in the shade and that multi hour wait is a slog.

I won't fill up the thread with a whole trip report but Morning Dew hit pretty heavy after having fought off passing out from the high temperature.

Stay hydrated and enjoy night 3.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Holographic Jerry

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Somehow Jerry has returned.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Jerry Lewis

A little Schtick inside of Drums is an idea with legs.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I think there's a gif floating around of Weir slapping a mic. So I guess that's his thing.

The old Dead didn't have a lot of patience for gently caress ups.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Aw poo poo it was during The Eleven. I really like how Weir sings that - a genuine improvement over the way the Dead did it, in my opinion.

I'd be pissed too. : (

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

trem_two posted:

nugs.net picked a bad night to have their web platform poo poo the bed

I'm betting they can't handle the demand

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I can't say I'm shocked but it's gotta be bad news for nugs. It seems like NOBODY is getting to see it live except the crowd in SF. That's a shitload of tickets to refund (assuming that's offered).

I have some sympathy but they advertised THE poo poo out of this show.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Welp the audio of the last show is finally up. Here we go.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Mayer, Chimenti, and Oteil would be foolish not to try something and I say they've earned it.

To me, the exact finality of the tour was pretty clear.

(In other news, Wolf Bros. just announced tour dates.)

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

I'm still thinkin bout that Dew

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I haven't finished the article and I can tell there's a lot of love and knowledge there, but I'm throwing a flag on that first paragraph. The not-quite implication that Jerry didn't have vocal talent or stage presence doesn't stand up to the evidence.

Jerry's singing can be an acquired taste, sure - just like the music. But we weren't ALL Stockholm Syndromed into liking his voice just because he was so drat good at guitar.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I'm a Donna appreciator. Her contributions to the music, on balance, really work for me. Sometimes there was a styles clash. So it goes.

But Jerry had a great voice for blues and bluegrass and soul. JGB is great because Jerry didn't have to sing these complicated nursery rhyme Americana prayer sutras. And he seemed a lot more relaxed and just ... louder.

Dude wasn't Mick Jagger or Rick James, but nobody else was The Grateful Dead. I'm a Mayer appreciator too, but if most fans had to pick their favorite Stella Blue, there's no question.

Phil sang a little at his 83rd birthday bash. I don't think he was pitch perfect. But I never went to any fancy music schools so ...

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I enjoyed it too, criticisms notwithstanding.

Unlike at a sporting event, there is no sense of aggression because there is no opponent. Unlike at a mass church gathering, there is no sense of propriety or even reverence; the enthusiasm is ungated.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

All I can say is this: I never hosed with Dead and Co. before this year. Didn't listen to Fare The Well, didn't care for what little I heard.

I bought a ticket with low expectations. I wanted to see some of the guys who made this art and give my respects. I never saw The Grateful Dead. I saw an Other Ones show 20 years ago and that's about it. Wanted to see Robert Hunter but he canceled. Wanted to see Phil and Friends at Bonnaroo but it was one of the last acts and nobody I came with gave a poo poo. I'd REALLY like to see Billy and Daniel Donato but who knows if I'll get the chance.

A few years ago, I met a girl who I turned onto the music. It was something we could share. Slow dancing in the kitchen to Sugaree - stuff I dreamed about when I was younger. I got her a ticket too. Told her it might not be great.

What I got was a pretty drat good show. I don't know if I would have liked Dead and Co. in 2017 or even 2022. I've seen some pretty not stellar clips. But we got the experience of a huge stadium performance of Grateful Dead music and it was mostly good if not great. I'm a satisfied customer.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I'm really liking these session tapes from Wake of the Flood they just dropped.

https://youtu.be/oYVbqDLWDpE

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

If anyone gets the torch (nobody does, imo), I'd say Daniel Donato's Cosmic Country could work. Really like him with Billy and the Kids.

But none of these bands have a Robert Hunter so it's really moot.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I mean, I know you asked for streaming radio but archive.org has streaming shows of pretty good quality. That gets you halfway there.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I wish one of these acts would try Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track after Terrapin.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I put that album on once and my girlfriend was like what's this dorky poo poo lol

But it's a favorite of mine. I really like Lady of Carlisle. The guitar picking on Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track is boss. I can't say I care for the Jack O' Roses section though.

Ivory Wheels > At a Siding imo though my perfect Terrapin Suite would somehow have both.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Stuck at home with the dreaded virus so there's no better time than now to make an effortpost about The Eleven. Hopefully this hasn't been covered in the thread before.

So the tune is in 11/4 time, which you can count by counting 3 bars of waltz time with 2 stingers on the end. One, two, three, One, two, three, One, two, three, ONE, TWO.
That shortened 4th bar makes the rhythm feel rushed and frantic and fun.

My personal favorite The Eleven is Shrine Auditorium, August 68.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5McdXcZKbw

What I hadn't figured out until recently is that Robert Hunter wrote the counting lyrics in that song to fit that 11/4 time. You wouldn't hear it though because the dead decided to break the lyrics up and sort of layer them on top of each other. So Jerry's just shouting those counting lyrics almost out of time, in between Bob and Phil singing the other verses. David Dodd has a writeup on this at Dead.net
https://www.dead.net/features/greatest-stories-ever-told/greatest-stories-ever-told-eleven

Bob with Dead and Co., sings the verses as written and I think that makes it a lot of fun - even though they're a mouthful. It at least attempts to highlight how those verses were written for that funky rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDe8PVuCHrc

I don't see a lot of bands doing The Eleven, I'm assuming because it's tricky in more ways than just the time signature, but I'd like it if some bands gave it a try and sang the verses straight through. I have to give an honorable mention to Dead Meat very impressively playing it the way it was done in the 60s. (Sick paisley guitar too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dd30_nM0ZI

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I’d go I guess

If the price is right, I suppose I would too. The show in Boulder was great but it would have been better with air conditioning, cushioned seats, and ready access to drinkable water. It would also be nice to not be surrounded by lovely wooks trying to scalp tickets halfway into the 2nd set.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I mean, that's what that orb is, isn't it? That's what it looks like to me. poo poo, I'll take it.

I don't mind dealing with heat or cold or whatever to see live music and maybe I'm generalizing my experience here but it pissed me off the kids around me wouldn't stop hustling even during Morning Dew (some 2.5 hrs in). Like ... why?

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I read Phil's book over the summer and boy oh boy did he harp on about the band never having money. They'd play shows, make money, get ripped off, play shows, lose money, get ripped off, drop albums to pay off debts, drop albums because it was less expensive than touring, tour anyway. Jerry slipped into his coma and they were back on the road that same year in part because they were failing to keep their company(ies) solvent.

I just can't get that worked up about people cashing in on Grateful Dead music at some luxury venue - least of all the band's survivors.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Didn't the Dead do a farewell show in 74 when they needed a break? I said I was leaving Facebook once 12 years ago and then didn't. So whomst among us?

I wish there were Dead tribute bands in my area. I might see Oteil this spring but I'll be driving hours for the privilege. It bothers me more than it should that my avenue for sharing the dead with people I know has been covers and tribute bands.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Planet X posted:

I guess what I don't get is leading your fanbase along that you're going to stop doing shows, but then you turn around and announce more shows.

I can only speak for myself here but it seems to me like everyone is confusing "final tour" with never playing together again.

I doubt they're ever again going to play Star Lake Amphitheatre in Western PA or the Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas. If they announce 20 cities next year, I'll eat these words but I read a residency or a festival as being different from a tour.

It was certainly MY last chance to see them because my broke rear end can't afford to even eat lunch in Vegas.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Man I wish I'd gotten a chance to hear the Wall of Sound.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

algebra testes posted:

There was a podcast a while back where the hosts listened to all the old Dick's Picks and did historical research, when they did Dick's Picks 19 they found out apparently the band played incredibly ear splittingly, deafeningly loud, to a half full arena full of cowboys or whatever that somehow got to experience one of the greatest Grateful Dead shows ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3KcGrZ-90

That's my favorite Dew these days.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Branford Marsalis is playing with JRAD at Red Rocks this June fyi

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

So it was only today that I learned that Lady of Carlisle is an old English folk tune. The song came up in that Robert Hunter album that was posted earlier in the thread. Knowing that, it's unmistakable the Lady with a Fan is a retelling of that story.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ugs3wY8zU

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Do y'all think Phil forgot about the Darkstarathon? He couldn't have, right?

https://youtu.be/oM98tsOik14?si=FH0jHWCbpv5q1m-o

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Also Skull & Roses 6 got canceled 10 days out and refunds are ... maybe not happening?

https://skullandroses.com/

It really doesn't help that the organizer decided to pepper in deadhead language in his announcement. Go ahead and tell me the show is canceled and I'm not getting my money back, but don't quote Stella Blue while you do it please.

Festivals don't really fit in the rhythm of my life these days anyhow, but stuff like this and the Eclipse festival in Texas canceling early doesn't inspire confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

A Robert Hunter manuscript from the early days of the dead is dropping this Fall. I never read Box of Rain (really want to) but I'm definitely picking up a copy of this. Here's an excerpt fron the Rolling Stone article about it.

“Strange to think back on those days when it was perfectly natural that we all slept on the floor in one small room,” Hunter writes. “These were the days before practical considerations, matters of ‘importance,’ began to eat our minds. We were all poets and philosophers then, until we began to wonder why we had so few concrete worries and went out to look for some.”

Has me feeling some sort of way.