Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
There's a new Bob Weir documentary on Netflix streaming called The Other One. Nothing groundbreaking in it, but it's a good watch. A bit about Bob's early life and a Bob-centric telling of the band's journey and his relationship with Jerry. Lots of archival footage and new interviews with Bob and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Huh, I was completely unaware of that piece of Dead history. It wasn't mentioned, but it would certainly be interesting to hear Bob talk about.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Just got tickets for Dead & Co in Saratoga June 20. Flying up from Tampa that day and back down the next day. Super pumped.

Had half a mind to try to rally some troops for Wanee this year to see Bobby with the Campfire Band among other good poo poo, but that festival has just gotten too drat big since Widespread got on board and you pretty much have to get to Suwanee two days early to get a site worth a poo poo. Or maybe I'm just getting :corsair:. Get off my lawn campsite.

Also, saw Joe Russo's Almost Dead at Fool's Paradise in St Augustine a coule of weeks ago for the first time and was very impressed. Oteil was playing with them, it was fantastic. T-shirt spotted at the show: "Let Oteil Sing"

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Anyone else do the meet up at the movies tonight? I thought it was a great show, Brent heavy which is good in my book. Great Dear Mr Fantasy and a Black Muddy River encore. More concert than movie crowd where I was, lots of people dancing and singing in the theater which was fun.

Edit- happy birthday Jerry!

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 2, 2017

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

https://www.relix.com/locknlive/

Free stream of the Lockn Festival this weekend. Bob and Phil are doing Terrapin Station at 11 tonight (est). Also sets by JRAD, Phil and friends, and lots of other good stuff over the weekend.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Got on the presale for Dead & Co in Orlando next week and got pit tickets for me and some friends. Then work went and sent me to Atlanta this week so I went ahead and grabbed a ticket for tomorrow night. Glad to get to catch two shows this tour. I've been streaming most of the shows this tour and have been pretty happy with what I've heard, personally.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Where are all the Dead & Co recordings for this tour? Over a week since the first show and nothing's hit archive.org yet. I haven't been able to stay up late enough to catch any streams, especially for these west coast shows.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

This thread on reddit seems to indicate I'm just being impatient. As much as I'm sure nugs.net would like it, I can't imagine D&C changing the taping/sharing policy that's been part of the Dead's DNA for forever. And definitely not without a healthy backlash from the fans.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Both of the gorge shows hit archive but nothing from Shoreline interestingly enough. Maybe just something to do with the venue.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Glad you posted about the Wolf Bros tour, I hadn't heard it announced and they're coming here. Just got tickets for me and some friends for St Pete.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

If anyone else has noticed a lot of Dead going in and out of commercials on NFL and MLB games recently, here's an article about the dude behind it

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/17/fox-producer-who-got-the-nfl-to-jam

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

There was lots of West LA Fadeaway during the world series with the Dodgers being in it. I've caught Bertha and Estimated Prophet during NFL games and other stuff I can't specifically recall

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Here it is on Archive

https://archive.org/details/gd72-05-03.sbd.masse.142.sbeok.shnf

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

those tapes Pig recorded in his apartment before he died are absolutely haunting

Got a link?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

:tipshat:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dead & Co announced a 2021 tour, looks like I have a local show to go to in October :woop:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

In news that will surprise no one, the Dead & Co Ticketmaster presale was a clusterfuck this morning. Four of us all had verified fan presale codes, three of us were able to select tickets but then the CC payment with our saved cards was returning an error. Everyone tried paypal which let us log in to paypal and try to submit but then got kicked back at the last second. Trying to go back and start over got the message that our presale codes were already used. Luckily one out of four of us was able to successfully buy 4 pit tickets for Tampa but jesus this shouldn't be so difficult.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Looks like you got a good set list! Oteil singing China Doll is a real treat.

I have tickets for Tampa next month, kind of wishing I had grabbed lawn instead of pit tickets for the social distancing aspect. Supposedly they're requiring proof of vax or negative covid test but not sure how that will mesh with our shithead governor doing everything in his power to prohibit any such precautions.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Yeah I could see them doing that. I'd be bummed but wouldn't blame them. Hopefully they'd try to reschedule sometime down the road. Already dealt with that with Mayer's appendectomy last time they had FL dates and I'd feel better about going to a show if it's at a point in time when vaccines are available to my daughter's age group so I don't have to worry as much about bringing a breakthrough case home to her.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

User Error posted:

Holy smokes I have got to get the recording of this show. I was just listening to Live/Dead this morning and wondering how they would do those songs today.

I'm sure it'll be on Archive in a few days

https://archive.org/details/DeadAndCompany

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Florida shows cancelled :sigh:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"due to routing and production logistics"

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

hatelull posted:

I'm not familiar with Billy Strings. My go to "do I like this" is Spotify and he's only got studio stuff. I see nothing Dead related. :(

Here's some playlists of Billy doing dead stuff from upthread a bit. Thanks for sharing btw OP, those were great listens.

I'm mainly listening to whatever the XM Dead station is playing if I'm in my car and at home I'll often find a random full show video on YouTube and throw it on the TV while I'm doing whatever around the house. While the eras of the band are certainly distinct I like it all. I probably like the 70's sound the best but there were some really fun covers they did with Brent singing further into the eighties like Dear Mr Fantasy and Hey Pocky Way that I love.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

When I saw D&C at Saratoga Springs in 2017 they played Looks Like Rain during the first set and we got a quick rain shower while they were playing it on an otherwise nice sunny day. That was pretty cool.

Also, "Street cats making love" has always stood out to me as a very weird lyric

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Bill Walton was rocking out right in front of where my friends were posted up at last night's show

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

When that concert was the "Meetup At The Movies" show a bunch of years ago, I dragged my non-Deadhead then girlfriend, now wife, to watch it in the theater. She definitely did not know what to make of naked pole guy lol

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

They showed that one a year or two later, I went and saw both of them in the theater

Edit- Veneta 1972 (naked pole guy show) was the 2013 Meet Up, they showed RFK 1989 in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_Meet-Up_at_the_Movies

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 27, 2022

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

No FL dates :(

Was hoping we would get a stop or two since they canceled the last dates they had here

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Flew up to NY for Dead & Co at SPAC back in 2017, quick in and out with a friend since another buddy was up there working at the time. Great venue and show. We got wrecked at the show and the cabs and ubers were a mess trying to get back into town. Wandered in the woods and came across the Gideon Putnam hotel where we posted up a while and drank more with a bunch of other deadheads. A++ would spac again

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Excellent, now go find yourself a good live Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain and get on the bus

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Lately in my car I've just been telling Spotify to play Dick's Picks or Garcia Live Vol [insert whatever random number comes to mind]. It's a fun bit of Dead roulette.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

:( Just found out the festival I was gonna go to in May and finally get to see Phil was cancelled

:woop: Just found out a festival right here in Tampa booked JRAD next month

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Speaking of lyrics and Robert Hunter, I don't think I posted here that my wife got me this for Christmas. It's cool to flip through reading along listening to the songs but I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet. It has the additional Terrapin verses which is cool.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That is a very good gift.

It is! Funny story, back in the days before the ubiquity of streaming music, I had a ton of downloaded live music on our computer including a ton of Dead shows. My wife was doing something in our iTunes library on the computer and thought she was doing me a favor by cleaning up all the "duplicate copies" of songs, ie 8 versions of Sugar Magnolia from different shows or whatever. She meant well and we had a laugh about it, nothing lost that I couldn't get from Archive or etree if I wanted. When I showed my buddy the book he said it might finally make up for deleting my Dead library.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Don't you touch hard liquor, just a cup of cold coffee" too obvious I guess?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I randomly had Dicks Picks vol 6 on yesterday which is an 83 show, and man was Jerry's voice rough

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

This all-drag Grateful Dead tribute band is fighting the Tenn. ban by providing 'a place to celebrate and find joy'

Hell yeah

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Special guest Barry Garcia

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Gov't Mule's Dub Side of the Mule live album with Toots Hibbert is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Oteil is on the Sirius XM station playing songs from and talking about his new album of Jerry/Dead songs. I'm digging it.

He was able get a recording of a flute solo that his brother Kofi had done on High Time before he died and incorporated it into his track, which I find incredibly touching.

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 13, 2023