Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

my dad posted:

I love the double whammy of them wanting a political turn towards Russia, and Russia using them to demonstrate how the West is full of Nazis.

Is Greece truly considered "the West" in Russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It's part of NATO, so I don't think it's wrong to consider them part of the West?

Besides, Western culture basically originated in Greece. Look at the wikipedia article of the Western World, the first image you see is the Parthenon.

Yes, but a large part of the reason that Russia doesn't consider itself to be "Western" is the fact that they are mostly Orthodox, and that doctrine originated in the greek-speaking Byzantine Empire.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

my dad posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Well, that's the impression I got. Therefore I assumed that other they wouldn't necessarily consider other Orthodox-majority countries to be "Western" in the cultural sense.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

my dad posted:

This couldn't possibly be more wrong. As for why, it would require a huge post, and would lead to a massive derail, so sorry for not giving an explanation.

Really? Everything I have read on the subject suggests that Russia became Orthodox because the religion spread from the Byzantine Empire to Kievan Rus through Bulgaria.

Wikipedia posted:

By the end of the first millennium AD, eastern Slavic lands started to come under the cultural influence of the Eastern Roman Empire. In 863–69, Saint Cyril and Saint Methodius translated parts of the Bible into Old Church Slavonic language for the first time, paving the way for the Christianization of the Slavs. There is evidence that the first Christian bishop was sent to Novgorod from Constantinople either by Patriarch Photius or Patriarch Ignatios, circa 866–67 AD.

By the mid-10th century, there was already a Christian community among Kievan nobility, under the leadership of Byzantine priests, although paganism remained the dominant religion. Princess Olga of Kiev was the first ruler of Kievan Rus to convert to Christianity, either in 945 or 957. Her grandson, Vladimir the Great, made Kievan Rus' a Christian state.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
We may be using differing interpretations of what "Western" means. When I say that Russia does not consider itself "Western" I meant that their Orthodoxy is one of the most obvious cultural traits that distinguish them from the Catholic/Protestant "West". I guess they would still consider themselves part of "Christendom", especially when contrasted with non-Christian cultures to their East and South, but that is not quite the same thing as being "Western".

• Locked thread