Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

crowfeathers posted:

as well as the annexation of Hungary.
Do the Romanian nationalists attack Székler people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby
That quote from Maroni reminds of blood libel and other forms of antisemitism. Why does anti-Roma hate still run so deep in Europe compared to antisemitism?

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby
Russia has been heading down the fascist road since the election of Putin. Putin is expected to rule for another 11 years, the government engages in aggressive state capitalism, cracks down on protest, openly engages in homophobia and condones violence against homosexuals. Isn't Russia fascist already?

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

Unluckyimmortal posted:

Again, why? There is no governmental apparatus which I trust to tamper further with the first amendment in any way, never mind actually enforcing a hate speech law.
Such a law would definitely go to SCOTUS. Therefore, how can you frame the banning of certain words, devoid of circumstance, on an objective basis? How do you establish a good precedent so the government won't turn it around to ban words they don't agree with? Context means quite a lot, and a person doesn't need to openly throw around epithets to be defamatory. Even innocent words can be warped into weapons. How do we separate defamation from criticism?
Edit: As for forbidding fascist rallies in the US on safety grounds, that could easily be turned around into a ban on Marxist or civil libertarian assemblies.
I understand why people want to ban defamatory language, but regular, non-vulgar language can be used for defamation as easily as the vulgar. It would be better to focus on the problem rather than the symptoms, or else the defamation will just evolve. Fox News places a defamatory spin on common language all the time, and makes up new poo poo like "takers" or "tribalists".

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 13, 2013

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

Geokinesis posted:

If only there were other countries with Hate Speech laws that you could base them off.
There is still precedent to deal with, your laws are not ours:
Beauharnais v. Illinois

quote:

The Court upheld an Illinois law making it illegal to publish or exhibit any writing or picture portraying the "depravity, criminality, unchastity, or lack of virtue of a class of citizens of any race, color, creed or religion." Court membership
but
NYT v. Sullivan

quote:

First Amendment, as applied through the Fourteenth, protected a newspaper from being sued for libel in state court for making false defamatory statements about the official conduct of a public official, because the statements were not made with knowing or reckless disregard for the truth. Supreme Court of Alabama reversed and remanded.
Which only gets more complicated considering that the FCC can't prosecute for a media entity lying knowingly.

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 13, 2013

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I call fascism incoherent not solely because it's got a lot of different, at times contradictory flavors that have existed here or there, but rather that I've never come across any form of fascism that was internally coherent. This is one of the great strengths, I think, of the Eco essay I linked a few pages back, where he lists those things he thinks (and I agree) are common to all forms of fascism, and especially points out how several contradict one another. The anti-intellectualism and rural nostalgia(1) coupled with a fetish for technology, particular of a military(2). The shifting nature of the Enemy, however defined, as simultaneously both menacingly fierce and laughably incompetent. Defining life as lived for struggle(3) while at the same time promising an eventual utopia(4) one the Enemy is defeated, in which no further struggle will be needed (this point in particular reminds me of O'Brien upbraiding Winton Smith in the Ministry of Love in 1984 about how the fascists, as The Party's ancestors, came close but got things wrong). Privileging acts of will over reasoned thought.(5) The worship of heroism(6) coupled with the sublimation, bordering at times on obliteration, of the individual.(7)
Can't many of these values (excluding the rural nostalgia and anti-intellectualism) be applied to any ideology that creates a friend/foe dichotomy and advocates for revolutionary action?
I think these values are more vague in nature than you think.
I can see similar values in:
Neoconservatism: (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6)
Marxism: (2), (3), (4), (6), (7)
Islamic Fundamentalism: (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7)
Objectivism: (2), (3), (4), (5), (6)
etc...

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

Berke Negri posted:

Hell, so many native cultures were wiped out in Europe either through war or acculturation it's not too dissimilar -- you just have to push the clock back another 1500 years from the American discovery. Nationalism is all kind of a big lie where you arbitrarily put your finger on a timeline and go ", here. Here is where we became X people who are identified by y and look like z." but no one really thought in those terms until very recently.
At the end of the day if we really cared about Nativism every human would self-deport themselves back to Africa.

• Locked thread