Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

WarpedNaba posted:

With this massive anti-homosexuality witch hunt in the Balkans

Ukraine and Russia are not "the Balkans".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's the solution to pretty much every problem.

Yeah, like the time Ottomans finally solved the Armenian problem.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was not being entirely serious.

I guess my pun was :downsrim:, I wasn't 100% serious either.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Guys, read darthzeta88's post history in this thread before replying. He pretty much outright admitted to being a fascist sympathizer.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Anybody who thinks ideas are bulletproof should try to find a modern Cathar.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

MeLKoR posted:

The problem with the Cathars or any other sects that got ruthlessly exterminated without the fanfare of an official CrusadeTM can be resumed in one word. Luther.

If you lose control of a sect you inevitably get the Reformation or a schism, either way a big No No for the Church. Catharism was one of the many sects the Church effectively repressed into extinction, protestantism was the one they failed to.

It was never a matter of "oh let's all just get along and tolerate each other", that was simply not something that could happen at that period in history. Besides catharism was getting very popular and was spreading quite fast, they were in no risk of "going extinct by themselves", that's exactly why a CrusadeTM was called for, to wipe them out once and for all.

Oh absolutely, I agree on all points. The Albigensian CrusadeTM did prove pretty conclusively that you could stab an opinion out of a populace.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Shibawanko posted:

Where's Laibach when you need them.

Slovakia:

Slovenia:

(Is that :thejoke: and I'm not getting it?)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

His answer may very verbose or quite terse, but will in essence be only fourteen words long.

:master:

E: Emden, I like you because you make things interesting here every now and then. Which one of the two "Fourteen Words" versions is your favorite and why?

quote:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children.

quote:

Because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 26, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

darthzeta88 posted:

So the fascist states rose because of capitalism and corporatism instead of laissez faire? And I was thinking issues came from nationalizing of banks that brought upon capitalism and corporatism

A guy with the number 88 in his name, I wonder what his stance on fascism is...

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Haha, their "badass" album cover is basically a three wolf moon shirt.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

A hundred years ago, I'd probably have agreed with you. Today? Not really. Not when so many people were born and died of old age accepting Macedonian (Slav) as their identity.

Macedonian Slavs lived there ever since Slavs settled in the Balkans. Technically, what is now FYROM was a part of medieval Serbia and Bulgaria, as well as the Eastern Roman Empire, but eh. The new 'Macedonian' nationality emerged, like so many others, as a result of being hosed over by every neighbor and ruler they had. Historically, the Ottomans for obvious reasons, but then Muslim Albanians who used every surge of anti-Christian sentiment for a round of raids and pillage, then later the newly independent Greeks with their "nope, no Slavs in glorious Greek motherland", then Bulgarians with their "Y'all are Bulgarians now. excuse us while we burn down all your personal and historical documents", and then the post WW1 Serbian government that had its resources stretched too thin due to the whole 'got genocided' thing to handle Macedonian issues with non-hamfisted measures.

The whole Alex the Great glorification thing is a product of modern nationalist root-searching which got out of hand - a bit like US and the obnoxious amounts of Roman esthetic in early public buildings. While cringeworthy, obsession with mocking it is usually a good way to spot European not-racists.

Third Balkan goon chiming in to say Macedonians are chill guys you probably shouldn't bear ill-will towards.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Ex-Yu music, cinema, and even literature owns really hard and still produces good poo poo. You are an irredeemable chauvinist if you believe in some inherent superiority of ~~Muh Western Culture~~ aside from having more money to afford better production values and established art centers that didn't collapse when everything went to poo poo in the 90s.

Also :laffo: if you think cultural imperialism is not a thing.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
No dude, I agree with you. I was talking to some of the other posters itt (mostly Nintendo Kid). I'm down to chat about ex-Yu arts but it would probably be best if we took it to the EE thread.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

on the left posted:

Care to name any well-known and loved soviet movies? I watched Kin-dza-dza! and it was like slow torture.

Sergei Eisenstein's films. Battleship Potemkin is influential as gently caress and considered one of the greatest films of all time.

Andrei Tarkovsky's films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

I love the double whammy of them wanting a political turn towards Russia, and Russia using them to demonstrate how the West is full of Nazis.

To be fair, if they seize some kind of power Russia'll work with them just the same.

• Locked thread