Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

weavernaut posted:

For what it's worth, my German partner seems completely untroubled by the rise of fascist groups in Europe, but Germany is probably the safest place to be in Europe, if you want to avoid fascist gangs. :ironicat:

Well, I've heard that basically every first grade (or thereabouts) gets sent off on a field trip where they learn what Fascism ended up causing, namely some of the concentration camps, and it's pretty much beat into their skulls that Fascism = :godwin: = Baaaaaad. So I can see why Germany has gently caress all in terms of fascist nutjobs running around, if they weren't dissuaded from it as kids, the government cracked down on anyone showing signs. I'm glad you're safe though!

weavernaut posted:

I'm very upset about the situation in Russia, since it means I cannot go back there without literally putting my life in danger. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my citizenship, now, I have to formally renounce it in Russia if I want to give it up.

:sympathy: You could always find the Russian Embassy and tell them to sit and spin? I mean, I dunno if that's a thing. But yeah, going to Russia strictly to tell them "I don't want to be a member of your homophobic piece of poo poo country" sounds a bit dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Organized crime doesn't have violence as its end.

No, organized crime just seeks to get as much power and money as fast as possible, disregarding any laws that get in its way. Just like fascists. That's what it ultimately boils down to. Power and money.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

You don't think their ideology is important at all? Everyone seeks power.

I think it is important to the leaders, not so much the people they are leading.

computer parts posted:

Unless you're taking this to the logical conclusion of "all capitalists are literally fascists" this isn't a meaningful definition.

That actually is an interesting argument, capitalism with no regulations, no laws, would basically be fascism, just with a corporate bent instead of government. Unfortunately I don't think this is the topic for such discussion. I'm going to just respectfully bow out, I just wanted to comment that there was a common thread: Namely the acquisition of power and money by any means available, and drat the laws that get in the way.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

What? No. Fascism's a belief system with a distinct set of elements. There are books on it and everything.

I'm sorry, I'm clearly not as knowledgeable on the subject as I should be. I'm just gonna bow out here and resume lurking, hopefully I'll learn a thing or two. Please forgive me for muddying up the discussion.

• Locked thread