Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I disagree, the UK could go fascist. The media is becoming increasingly right wing and anti immigration. The anti-muslim thing might have flared down a bit recently in the media, but I'm not sure how much of that was to do with public opinion and how much the government has advised the press.

The right wing extremists in the UK suffer from an image problem. The image they have is exactly what the vast majority of people in the UK never want to see. All it takes is an influential minority and things might change.

There is nothing geographical or racial about fascism.

General China fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

weavernaut posted:

I'll admit that it's been two years since I was last anywhere near the British Isles (I'm an Irish citizen) but the situation didn't seem as bad back then. poo poo.

Can we take this admission to remember when Éamon de Valera sent his sympathy over Hitlers death.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Before that there was the Irish response to Fascism in Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(Spanish_Civil_War)

General China fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 10, 2013

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

KazigluBey posted:

An interesting note in Eastern European countries is that the Orthodox Church does much to prop-up and legitimize these groups socially, as their views tend to align in a lot of ways. The Orthodox Church is certainly mounting far greater resistence to progressive movements than the churches of Western Europe, with concerted attempts to maintain socially conservative paradigms.

Might dig up some actual articles after I get some sleep.

The Catholic Church aint doing so well on historical dictators during the 20th century either. Its got all the western european ones- Hitler, Mussolini and Franco. Its also got all the South American ones too.

• Locked thread