Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ardennes posted:

Russia is a country that has been 'weimar'ed,' liberal democracy and capitalism failed it and what has resulted is the all too predictable aftermath. It is just a bit ahead of the curve.

I suspect this is the biggest part of the resurrection of fascism. We're once again in a situation where, from a lot of people's perspective, "the system doesn't work". Russia tried democracy (sort of; they feel like they did at any rate) and ended up with oligarchs, poverty, and a massive loss of prestige. Greece has been part of the liberal democratic Western world order (again, enough so that popular perceptions would say so) and is now basically in a depression. Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, all similarly stagnant. To a lesser degree, same with Britain and France. People are looking for a new basic worldview, and nice simple things like "the problem is all these outsiders" that seem obvious and can be anecdotally confirmed by those colored people doing crimes on TV and such has an intrinsic appeal. And don't underestimate the power of attaching ideology to charitable goods, either: I think the most important part of the excerpts on Golden Dawn is that they provide handouts and charity to native Greeks. It's the same sort of missionary setup that spread organized religions around the globe, and economic difficulties only make it more effective by increasing the number of people who will show up for the free stuff.

I guess my point is: Europe's verging on, or in, a depression, just like the last time Fascism sprang up. It's no surprise it's springing up again. I actually have a little optimism: at least the countries where Fascism manifested most strongly before--Germany, Spain, and Italy--are where it's least visible now. Maybe people can learn after all? (Except the Russians. That place has just lurched from autocracy to autocracy since forever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread