Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Meh, I feel like you are overstating your case here. Barring some edge cases like Greece, I'm not convinced these fascist movements are in any way a threat to liberal democratic order. The vast, vast majority of fascist organizations in the first world fizzles out without achieving any sort of power. So while it's easy to find scary pictures of goosestepping idiots their mere existence is not in any way an evidence of Europe is going back to 30's.

Far, far more dangerous possibility is not the fascists overthrowing liberal democracy, but conservatives co-opting (some of) their rhetoric for their own ends and presenting (some of) their policies as the new conservative normal. This is what's happening in Russia, UK, France, Austria and Switzerland. Anti-immigrant and specifically anti-Muslim hatred is undoubtedly on the rise but that hatred is not channeled to proper fascist organizations no matter how much fascists would want to. Instead it's finding more and more voice in conservative circles and that's a far more troubling development.

Fascists do not need to achieve national power to do untold amount of harm to a community, so you do not need to wait for the new führer to take power to fight fascists. But at the same time focusing on these small-time fascist organizations at the expense of ignoring mainstream politics is a fatal mistake.

fspades fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's returned and it's advancing faster than anyone's worst nightmares. It's important to realise that a particular country's outlying factions are not the ones to watch. The overt racist and thugs are discredited and disliked by the upper middle classes which limits their power. For now. Instead pay attention to the narrative of a countries media. In the UK we've had a string of "documentaries" villainising the poor and the problem has slowly creeped its way towards attacking the disabled. A doctor got in a tabloid newspaper complaining that Stephen Hawking works so disabled people should not get benefits. There was leaked documents from the government of a canceled workfair (work for access to benefits, slavery by another name) project that would "house" disabled people in "centers" where they could be "productive". It was a plan for bringing back the workhouse and this time for disabled people. In the UK the media is either supporting the government or ignoring issues it feels it cannot put a positive spin on. It has nothing negative to say which is indicative of the unfolding agenda.

The UK IS swerving right, HARD. It's not doing it with rousing speeches of racial superiority. It's not doing it by overtly attacking a race or creed. It's doing it by normalising bigoted behaviour and thoughts. It's now ok to HATE someone because they're poor: They probably deserve it and no doubt scrounge from the government. It's ok to HATE immigrants: They've been ripping the country off for years and maybe that's why we ran out of money!? It's ok to LAUGH at the disabled: Political correctness has gone mad and they've got it easy. The message being spun constantly is "we have no money and we must work our way out of debt, if you can't work get under the loving bus". In truth the UK is hosed until they reverse austerity just like the rest of Europe. Austerity is what's breeding fascism and, if I may be slightly tinfoil, there is no way the governments of European countries don't know this. They're essentially emulating 1930's Germany and they know it. That they don't care indicates to me that they support a general rightward direction in peoples thinking. They probably don't want a full on fascist uprising but by that point it will be too late.

People like David Cameron are not smart. They possess low cunning and opportunists natures but it would not surprise me at all if they think they can continue to poke the dragon.

This post was from a bit back but it's putting my thoughts more eloquently than I've did earlier in the thread. The way right-wing politics is taking shape in the west is very disturbing but that's not necessarily means a return to fascism. Fascism in my mind is a very specific and unmistakable type of political movement and what we are seeing is not the revival of big-f Fascism but a more insidious ideology that has way more chance of success and the results might not necessarily mean a better result than a Fascist government. We are seeing the normalization of trampling on individual liberties under the guise of maintaning security and public order. We are seeing advocation of "natural" hierarchies and we are seeing general scape-goating of everything foreign or deviant. But these things are not done in a fascist manner or with fascist organizations. If anything we are seeing the revival of conservatism as liberal democracy falters. True conservatism, that is... The kind that does not even pretend to pay lip service to liberalism. The kind that would hand the country to fascists if they believed it was slipping out of their control.

I mean we can talk about whether bashing the fash is the right thing to do for pages here, even though very few in this forum actually has experience in such matters. But frankly? It does not matter unless you are in somewhere like Greece or some eastern European place teetering on the collapse. You are wasting your time with this kind of posturing when there are far more bigger developments going on. Don't get tunnel-vision when it comes to this issue is what I'm saying.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So here is a question: Do you guys consider parties like FN, PVV, FPÖ etc. as fascist? What about more edge cases like Jobbik or MHP? Where would you put these movements in a fascism scale of 1 and 10 where 10 is Golden Dawn? I think getting our definitions down is very important here because otherwise we might be talking about a bunch of separate things when we say "rise" of fascism in Europe.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is there anywhere that can offer a fairly good history on fascism?

Check out "The Anatomy of Fascism" by Robert Paxton.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We know which side the cops are on but what about the army? What if the government really went after the GD and used the noncooperation of the police as a pretext to roll out the tanks? Is such a situation desirable?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a bad enough dude posted:

Well, looks like they're actually going to ban them.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323808204579086964287464066.html

ATHENS—Greece is moving to effectively outlaw the extreme-right Golden Dawn party by asking prosecutors to declare it a criminal organization, days after police say a self-professed member confessed to killing a left-wing rap artist.

The government presented prosecutors with a legal file late Thursday that it says shows Golden Dawn acted as an organized criminal gang—a felony under Greece's penal code—and declaring it a threat to public order.

The file is based on some 30 previous cases over the past year where members or followers of the party—which is known for its extremist views and tactics against immigrants, gays and political rivals—have been charged with illegal acts,

Party chief Nikos Mihaloliakos has described the government's actions as a "witch hunt" and, on Friday, Golden Dawn lawmaker Ilias Kasidiaris said the party would sue Public Order Minister Nikos Dendias and others for defamation.

The impetus for the government action was the slaying early Wednesday of 34-year-old rapper Pavlos Fyssas. The police investigation has allegedly found a direct link between the party and the killing, a senior government official familiar with the matter said.

Yeah, but who's going to enforce that ban?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

duck monster posted:

I think its about some dude who got shot by cops, and the court dropping the case because they didnt think he (the cop?) could get a fair trial?

edit: English language story about it

http://www.bianet.org/english/human-rights/151753-court-panel-withdraws-from-ethem-sarisuluk-case

Basically, yes. Radikal also mentions the judge and the prosecutor was sleeping during the proceedings. The shooting of Sarisülük was captured by several cameras and it's pretty obvious the cop was not acting in self defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

Some time ago the police locked out one of the biggest commercial centers of Lisbon to all blacks in the city because two blacks got into a fight inside. It was amazing to see how many people used Ferguson and poo poo to say that Portugal wasn't that racist.

We literally cordoned off an area of the city to a skin color because of a scuffle and people still refused to see how it was racist.

We Europeans aren't racists because we don't see ourselves as racists. Since we don't consider ourselves racists our actions could never be racists, ergo, only americans are racists.

That's doubly interesting when you consider, you know, Portuguese history. I mean, holy poo poo even the American South had nothing on the Brazilian plantation complex. It's amazing people can look at that colonial legacy and go "racism in Portugal?? Nope, we didn't have anything to do with that.But look at those fuckers over there!"

• Locked thread