Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait this is GBACW game number FOURTEEN?? I know I've been out of the board wargaming scene for a bit but jeez.

G*C*ACW, GBACW's different.

It includes 4 magazines, but GCACW's been around since the 80s. It's why there's still some old Avalon Hill stuff on the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Panzeh posted:

G*C*ACW, GBACW's different.

It includes 4 magazines, but GCACW's been around since the 80s. It's why there's still some old Avalon Hill stuff on the boxes.

Er, that was a typo, but I still didn't realize GCACW had gotten so big. I played all the old Avalon Hill games and thought most of the MMP ones were just re-releases.

edit-- which I guess they SORT OF are, but looking closer they have new content, so they still count. And that count of 14 does not actually include the magazine releases!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Er, that was a typo, but I still didn't realize GCACW had gotten so big. I played all the old Avalon Hill games and thought most of the MMP ones were just re-releases.

edit-- which I guess they SORT OF are, but looking closer they have new content, so they still count. And that count of 14 does not actually include the magazine releases!

Yeah, so i think MMP's new releases are Atlanta, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Hood in Tenessee, All Green Alike, Petersburg, and now Vicksburg, some of which are released with old stuff.

Wouldn't be shocked if they did something to integrate Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg as a release at some point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, so i think MMP's new releases are Atlanta, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Hood in Tenessee, All Green Alike, Petersburg, and now Vicksburg, some of which are released with old stuff.

Wouldn't be shocked if they did something to integrate Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg as a release at some point.

Yep, looks like that's all correct. Maybe the new Vicksburg game will include sort of that old stuff, like they did with On To Richmond II.

AH:
Stonewall Jackson's Way
Here Come the Rebels
Roads to Gettysburg
Stonewall in the Valley
Stonewall's Last Battle
On to Richmond

MMP:
Grant Takes Command
Battle Above the Clouds (Chickamauga/Chattanooga)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Atlanta is Ours
Roads to Gettysburg II
Hood Strikes North (Tennessee)
On to Richmond II (includes Grant Takes Command and Petersburg)
Thunder on the Mississippi (Vicksburg)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Yep, looks like that's all correct. Maybe the new Vicksburg game will include sort of that old stuff, like they did with On To Richmond II.

AH:
Stonewall Jackson's Way
Here Come the Rebels
Roads to Gettysburg
Stonewall in the Valley
Stonewall's Last Battle
On to Richmond

MMP:
Grant Takes Command
Battle Above the Clouds (Chickamauga/Chattanooga)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Atlanta is Ours
Roads to Gettysburg II
Hood Strikes North (Tennessee)
On to Richmond II (includes Grant Takes Command and Petersburg)
Thunder on the Mississippi (Vicksburg)

I heard after Vicksburg they want to do a re-release of Stonewall in the Valley which would almost certainly contain Sheridan in the Valley and i imagine something new, like Sigel in the Valley or something.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Argh, I decided to see what various wargame publishers were up to since I last looked and now I want OCS Crimea. *glances at heap of unplayed OCS games*

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

it's extremely dangerous for my wallet whenever I start looking at the MMP lineup on hexasim

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I am kinda excited about Operation Matters 2 coming out. Not even so much for Luzon, which I don't think it's gonna be that interesting at the scale that OCS operates at, but because I really enjoyed the articles in Operational Matters 1, which did help me improve at OCS.

Also got the GTS magazine coming in soon, I think the Saar scenario is a pretty neat little game, also interested in seeing how to improve my offensive in GTS as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gotta say that P500 Coastwatchers looks pretty cool and different.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Lord help me I'm looking back through my posts in here and I might start up my ASL collection again...

Keeping an eye out for a cheap 3rd edition Beyond Valor

:negative: can't believe I had all that plus the new Yanks plus Hakkaa Paalle and a bunch of other stuff at one point.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's the ciiiiircle, the ciiircle of waaaargaming

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Count Thrashula posted:

Lord help me I'm looking back through my posts in here and I might start up my ASL collection again...

Keeping an eye out for a cheap 3rd edition Beyond Valor

:negative: can't believe I had all that plus the new Yanks plus Hakkaa Paalle and a bunch of other stuff at one point.

I am pretty sure this thread or the previous one was where I gave away all my first edition ASL stuff. I’ve bought Beyond Valor, Yanks, For King and Country, and Hollow Legions in the last few months.

There is something to be said about having a local group that are all willing to play the same game. Sure I could buy a bunch of other games with the same money but the logistics of coordinating play against other people who are also familiar with the system and want to spend time playing is difficult.

With ASL I can just show up with a few scenarios I am interested in and there will be someone to play against.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Was there a previous board wargame thread? This little baby is 11 years old. How time flies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tekopo posted:

Gotta say that P500 Coastwatchers looks pretty cool and different.

I'm in for that, looks like a neat design and it's great subject.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
MMP is running a big bagged game sale, and I missed most everything, but I picked up a copy of The Greatest Day which I've wanted for years for $100 hell yeah.

Do I have room to play it? I do not. But I don't care.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Count Thrashula posted:

MMP is running a big bagged game sale, and I missed most everything, but I picked up a copy of The Greatest Day which I've wanted for years for $100 hell yeah.

TBh, I don't think people actually play the full game - but it has lots of scenarios that will fit on a reasonably sized gaming table and are good fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

TBh, I don't think people actually play the full game - but it has lots of scenarios that will fit on a reasonably sized gaming table and are good fun.

I figure that's basically the case with 90% of monster games. It's all single map or part-of map scenarios unless you're at a convention or something.

Hell, I have the whole Der Weltkrieg set and set up all the maps once just to look at it, but other than that I've never played more than a couple tiny scenarios.

Oh no now I'm feeling the DW pull again, which means I'm feeling the World in Flames pull. The slippery slope is sloping...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Count Thrashula posted:

nice buy!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

tomdidiot posted:

Aaaah don't say things like that! I've been interested in GTS for a while now, more so after Tekopo's posts about Operation Mercury, and I've been using "no room" as a reason to avoid them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

Aaaah don't say things like that! I've been interested in GTS for a while now, more so after Tekopo's posts about Operation Mercury, and I've been using "no room" as a reason to avoid them.
:bisonyes:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looking back through my old ASL folders and found this gem of a screenshot:

ASL: a cool game for normal-brained people

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Count Thrashula posted:

Looking back through my old ASL folders and found this gem of a screenshot:

ASL: a cool game for normal-brained people

If you were playing physically, how high would those stacks be? An inch? Don't breath lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Played a fun ASL scenario this evening called ASL93 Tavronitis Bridge

https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56239

Germans come in on gliders to a dry river bed and need to wrest control of the bridge and surrounding area away from the Kiwis guarding it.

I played the Germans and while I managed to get control of one side, some terrible rolls on risky moves on the other, pinned and broke the assaulting units and the Kiwis upstairs in one of the multi hex buildings were still in control.

Overall it was a lot of fun and nailing a critical hit on otherwise useless 50mm mortars was a cool thing that happened that wiped out all of the defenders hiding in a foxhole.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The GTS LP of Saar is done, with a decivise American victory!

Also cool ASL scenario, I basically ran that assault in GTS when I LPed Operation Mercury, but nice to see it at a different scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

The GTS LP of Saar is done, with a decivise American victory!

Also cool ASL scenario, I basically ran that assault in GTS when I LPed Operation Mercury, but nice to see it at a different scale.

My copy of Greatest Day: SJ&G is coming today, and I'm really excited to dig into it. I feel like it hits that sweet spot between operational (but not OCS level because I hate ferrying around supply chits) and tactical.

Once GTS starts putting out eastern front games I'm done for.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I think I said before, I got a bunch of ASL stuff at a decent price, and then for whatever reason just kept buying.

I'm pretty sure I have (at least nearly) everything "official" for ASL up through line Festung Budapest/Red Factories.

And it's pretty much been all sitting on shelves for like 10 years now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SlyFrog posted:

I think I said before, I got a bunch of ASL stuff at a decent price, and then for whatever reason just kept buying.

I'm pretty sure I have (at least nearly) everything "official" for ASL up through line Festung Budapest/Red Factories.

And it's pretty much been all sitting on shelves for like 10 years now.

Are you interested in getting rid of anything? I am picking up core modules and have gotten new releases of Beyond Valor, Yanks, For King and Country, and Hollow Legions. I need Croix de Guerre and Armies of Oblivion, Doomed Battalions and whatever else is out there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I really need to stop saying I'll learn ASL and actually do ti

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I literally stream twice a week what is wrong with ya'll

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I literally stream twice a week what is wrong with ya'll

When do you stream I can't watch it if I don't know about it

Do you post it in the discord

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

When do you stream I can't watch it if I don't know about it

Do you post it in the discord

Its in the OP of the ASL thread I did. Mondays/Saturdays 8pm EST

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its in the OP of the ASL thread I did. Mondays/Saturdays 8pm EST

Sweet, I might watch Monday!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hekk posted:

Are you interested in getting rid of anything? I am picking up core modules and have gotten new releases of Beyond Valor, Yanks, For King and Country, and Hollow Legions. I need Croix de Guerre and Armies of Oblivion, Doomed Battalions and whatever else is out there.

Nah. At this point, I'm gonna keep them under the delusional thought that I will play some day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

Sweet, I might watch Monday!

I'm always down for answering rules questions, even if I still haven't memorized them in their entirety :negative:

I've got as much errata as I possibly can so I almost always have something that'll help. And for the streams, well, I save them to my youtube channel so there's a bunch from prior months/years available.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SlyFrog posted:

Nah. At this point, I'm gonna keep them under the delusional thought that I will play some day.

This is going to pay off when the internet collapses and you need something to play until the end of time

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Count Thrashula posted:

My copy of Greatest Day: SJ&G is coming today, and I'm really excited to dig into it. I feel like it hits that sweet spot between operational (but not OCS level because I hate ferrying around supply chits) and tactical.

Once GTS starts putting out eastern front games I'm done for.

I think there's not much interest in doing Ostfront GTS for several reasons.
1. Most of the developers/people involved seem to be West Front/Med War people
2. I suspect that it's very difficult (especially in the current climate) to get the chance to do detialed digging into the sort of OOBs/unit histories to do a good Ostfront GTS - Glantz did a great job of digging into Operational level actions but at these battallion/regimental scale games, it'll probably need a lot more digging into indiivudal unit histories which will be hard to do for Soviet units.
3. The eastern front both has much denser (e.g. at Stalingrad/Kursk) and much looser unit scales (e.g. everywhere else), but most of the really famous battles that draw people to the eastern front are probably not suitable for GTS (which is ultiamtely a system for Corps-sized action lasting about a week). I susepct it's going to be really difficult to find a topic that sells well - GTS Stalingrad would be an exercise in insanity given that D-Day (which will be about 10 divisions on each side at the end of the week) will be 3 massive games that are each a monster in their own right. GTS Kursk is about the right length but probably too dense.

Adam Starkweather (The original designer of GTS) went on to create a derivative system called Company Scale System and does have an Eastern Front game about an obscure battle (Novorossiysk) and I'm pretty sure that didn't sell well at all.

AFAIK the upcoming GTS games are
1. GTS Utah on Preorder now (imminently shipping)
2. GTS Devil's Cauldron V2 (Northern half of Market Garden) - likely next to be printed, probably 2025/6
3. GTS Guadalcanal being actively playtested
4. GTS Omaha to follow Utah (I don't think we'll see this for a few years yet - Utah was being playtested since at least 2018, and I have not seen any pictures at all of Omaha!)
5. Some guy was talking about GTS Salerno.

The way I'd approach SJG is start by watching Lee Forester's videos (here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj_FOrW06dJP5COl_7EXROFDf6vITUprq), and then play the following scenarios:
1. The Black Baron
2. Day of the Tiger (this is a natural progression from Scenario 1, because it's the same action, but starts earlier in the day)
3. To the Sea
4. On to Bayeux
and only then would I do Storming Gold/Storming Juno/ Storming Sword (in that order), becausee the beach landing rules are pretty complex and you'll have a miserable time trying to learn the beach landing rules and the system at the same time I'd definitely make sure you've played through the "storming" scenarios a couple of times and are happy with the beach landing rules/how to do a good beach landing, because getitng off the beach without spending all your comamnd points is going to be key.

If you wouldn't be unhappy about spending more money - it might actually be worth getting GTS Saar first because I think Scholbach Schwerpunkt has much more evenly balanced forces rather than one Tiger just running around causing havoc like Black Baron is.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 25, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

This is good info thanks! Ugh, I haven't even punched GJS, I don't need Utah, but I want it...

Any thoughts on the CSS system? I generally avoid Compass Games because they tend to be errata filled messes, but if it's the same designer that's tempting.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Count Thrashula posted:

This is good info thanks! Ugh, I haven't even punched GJS, I don't need Utah, but I want it...

Any thoughts on the CSS system? I generally avoid Compass Games because they tend to be errata filled messes, but if it's the same designer that's tempting.

I mean, the longest scenario I've played of SJG is O Canada! (a 2 day scenario covering the Juno sector) but that hasn't stoped me wanting to get Utah.....

I haven't played CSS, but the consensus seems to be that the rules are a hot mess. The situations are all very different though - you've got 3 games on the Marianas Islands campaign which are infantry slugging matches (US Marines + US Army vs dug in Japanese defenders), Montelimar (the most traditional Wallies vs German Mechanized clash), the eastern front game I mentioned earlier (The Little Land), and two Cold War gone hot scenarios.

While I do think it's neat that Starkweather is covering less wargamed topics, I probably wouldn't touch them because of the rules. Less wargamed topics also mean it's going to be harder to convince someone to play them, whereas with GTS, you have two Market Garden, soon to be two Normandy games and a Bulge game (in addition to Crete, Gazala, and Patton in Lorraine) ......

Also MMP has this thing with systems where there's a series rulebook that is the same from game to game, with an extra game specific rulebook to highlight the weird chromey edge cases. Compass for some goddamn reason just lumps all those chromey cases into each game's rulebook......

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ugh, okay well I'm not surprised at least. Compass and Decision are two publishers I will rarely touch for those reasons.

I do love that MMP is so free with their rulebooks and such online, I'll have to go peruse the other GTS games since I'm also keen on Bastogne and maybe the Market Garden one that's up for reprint.

Mercury looks fun too. UGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Novorossiysk is a perfectly cromulent campaign to game out. If anyone wants to VASSL Black Sea, Black Death or Compass' The Little Land, let me know.