Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

KomradeX posted:

What is the general opinion on Lock n' Load games? I've been thinking about picking up a few of them since they seem really cool, especially World at War which reminds of the video game Wargame:European Escalation and Airland Battle. Though it looks like their hosting is down :psyduck: well I guess that ones for the TG as an industry thread.

I really love the Lock 'n' Load series. World at War is slightly larger in scale and I've only played to once, but it seemed like fun. I couldn't suggest a particular WaW game as a starting point though, and you might want to check the scenario dependency geeklist on BGG if you plan to go beyond a base game. Corps Cmmand: Dawn's Early Light is their World at War Cold-War-gone-hot setting at an even higher level, which might be for you, but World at War is probably closer to Wargame. There is an LnL game for the WaW setting - Heroes of the Gap? - but I've never found a copy.

This thread reminds me that I need to put Lock 'n' Load - Heroes of the Blitzkrieg on the table soon. It has cavalry and motorcycle troops! Also, everyone should have a copy of Thunderbolt Apache Leader for when computer games get dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Hornet Leader is great, and not really heavy at all? Missions aren't that long, and there's a fair bit of strategising beforehand (choosing who to send, loadouts, even picking the right target) but nothing too heavy.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader has slightly more detailed mission resolution, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Again, nothing too heavy.

Phantom Leader is basically Hornet Leader with less content (the old version) or similar content (deluxe), with the addition of a politics track to discourage excessive napalm. I'd go with Hornet out of those two, but definitely prefer Thunderbolt Apache Leader.

The rulebooks are on dvg.com. Lots of pictures and examples.

dakkadakkadakkavreeeeowkaboom

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

If you don't mind playing with starships just a little bit longer, Saganami Island Tactical Simulator is pretty close to peak :spergin:.

You can get Attack Vector: Tactical's rules in (paid) PDF these days. That's the classic hard-SF hard-:spergin: wargame.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Morholt posted:

You're welcome

hope u like flipping over a million tiny counters every turn

(it's a good game)
Huh, only a hundred 1/2" chits. It seems like a lot more when they're totally loving up your glorious nazi lebensraum and sending you crying back to der fuhrer because they soviets aren't approaching Berlin, they're closing on Paris.

I'm exaggerating, but it's brutal. Bring a pair of tweezers with a blob of blu-tac on the end, you'll need them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's spaceships, but it's a GMT wargame, so probably this thread - is Talon even half as good as it looks? Because it looks very, very good. Simple, fast, with power management chrome and (apparently) a good ship design system available online. Phasers and wave motion guns and a campaign system? On-map missile tokens and fighters that are handled quickly and elegantly without bogging the game down? It has movement impulses like SFB & FC, but without the excessive grog. Rules for using it in conjunction with Space Empires 4X, even.

I didn't even know it existed until I saw it in the LGS.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Ubik_Lives posted:

You may want to decide soon though. Talon is sold out at GMT, so it may become difficult to obtain a copy if someone grabs your FLGS copies before you do.
Isn't there a rule about posts like this. :(

Maybe next weekend, then! Oh, huh, I have more spending money than I expected this month. And there's a decently-priced copy online. Oh no.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Twlight posted:

Thanks I figured a bookcase would do, I'll have an interesting conversation piece when anyone comes over and sees these weird board games, then snap the trap is sprung.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding hex board games set in more of a contemporary setting? I saw the Next War series by gmt: https://www.gmtgames.com/c-47-next-war-series.aspx Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Is this going to be way to heavy to get into as a first hex war game? the WW1/2 setting just isn't interesting and I would prefer something with newer equipment
Lock 'n' Load have some modern/cold war stuff, including Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light if you want something relatively simple that lets you push tanks and own NATO. That's a bit old and I think they've done more stuff since, including smaller-scale tactical games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
EastFront is pretty good. I've never managed to play the full EastFront/WestFront/EuroFront combo though - we had big plans but it fell through. Shame.

It's basically block WW2. There are smaller scenarios, but it does get pretty big if you play the full game. EuroFront adds stuff to combine the other two games, but EastFront definitely stands alone as a great game.

IIRC their other block games aren't as large-scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Magnets. Just need a ton of magnetic counter-holders, a good steel wall, and probably an enlarged version of the map to better hold all the chits.