Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ConorT posted:

Crossposting from #Boardgoons: Come play Andean Abyss on Vassal this weekend with me and Tekopo, PM me or hit me on IRC.

edit: or just post in the thread I guess.

Any room for newer players? It's a game I've been thinking about buying it and would love to try it before I do :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Paper Mac posted:

I think I like the positioning and movement in GoG better than NT. NT gets confusing as hell in small locales, particularly if a corps gets shattered and you have a couple of units in the approaches.

one day...

I don't think the actual war room for WWII was that intense :stare:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

When do you think is the next time we can finish that AA game? Cause poo poo was getting really good :D

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Anyone play Phantom Leader/Hornet Leader? They look pretty cool, but they also look really heavy so I'm not sure if it's something I would like...

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Oh ok, cool. For some reason the games looked scarier than they are, must be the little chits :)

Thunderbolt Apache Leader sounds cool as hell, so I might go with that one

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Am I mistaken in thinking the Cuba Libre module on Vassal is playable? Because if it is, we should play it :allears:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I am most definitely free, sir

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Anyone up for Cuba Libre/A Distant Plain? Rulebook and Vassal modules are available now!

Yeah, I'm down for this weekend :)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I just read the Distant Plain rules, and drat it looks cool. Looks like there's some even more interesting ways the factions can interact with each other than even Andean Abyss. The fact that the Coalition can spend the Government's money and even force gov. troops to move with them looks like it could be helpful/annoying in equal, hilarious measures. LoCs might be even more important in this since you can "ride" them for movement as long as they aren't sabotaged. There's no Support x2 or Opposition x2, so it seems like getting regions to flip will be a lot more frequent.

I was a little reticent on it before, but after reading the rules I'm hype.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I don't have any COIN games yet but I definitely want to get at least one. We'll see what else they come out with too. :)

I'm free this weekend from some AA or Cuba

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

The more I play of the COIN games, the more I want one of those games in a license like Star Wars or warhammer 40k :allears:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Anyone wanna try and finish our hanging AA/Cuba Libre games on Vassal this weekend? :D

Edit: also can any of you guys recommend a really good samurai war game

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, that was my second game of CL and it was WAY more fun as the first. As the Syndicate, I was wheel and dealing, asking for bribes and blackmailing.

Relations with Tekopo's Cuban Government were at all time high... before they reached an all time low :allears:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 26, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

drat, missed it! Did you guys play it? :)

Also if any of you wanna try that or finish any of our ongoing COIN games, I'd be free tomorrow

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone wants to try and finish any of our ongoing COIN games or *gasp* start a new one, I'd be down sometime this weekend.... just not when the Jets are playing :D

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Internet is officially back, so this weekend I feel like gaming. Anyone for COIN series games? I'm hankering for A Distant Plain again.

Yeah, I'd be down. I don't mind starting a new game, but if we could finish one of our ongoing ones that would be cool too :cheeky:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Oldstench posted:

We're putting together a COIN Goon Group for running COIN games on Vassal. Please slide by and sign up if you're interested. If we get enough people on the list, games might actually happen!

http://bit.ly/184co9F|

Oh... why didn't we think of this before. Signed.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Okay so we have 4 signups already, who's up for a game of any of the three this saturday starting from 1PM EST?

I'm down!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Good points. It's really hard to explain the series because it's just so different from anything, at least for me.

I really do love how each game in the series is a totally new take on the system, instead of just a redressing of theme and maps.

If I can make a horrible PC game analogy, COIN is to wargames what Crusader Kings is to the Total War series

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 20, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, let's go with CL, it's a "quick" one. I am fine with Sunday.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Aaaahh, well real life responsibilities are not going to make the 1pm game tomorrow possible for me. I can do a later time, like 5pm or after. If someone wants to hop in and take my spot, they can. Sorry guys. :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Has anyone played Next War: Korea? For some reason it's catching my eye

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I can't wait for Fire in the Lake to come out, the increase in mechanics is gonna be sweet.

I know, I'm so hype for it myself. I'm hoping all the new troop/guerrilla interactions will lead to even crazier political wheeling and dealing :getin:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I'm almost always up for something and we have several people that usually play on #boardgoons on SYNIRC. We have been attempting to get people to play COIN games in the weekends and although it slowed down for the holidays, we should be back up to speed shortly. Anyone for A Distant Plain this weekend? I'm free on either day.

Yeah I'd be free, just let me know which day. :)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I'm down, just don't make me government cause I'm bad :D

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Anyone want to play a COIN game on Vassal this saturday? I'm down for AA/Cuba/ADP :)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

sonatinas posted:

I just bought Navajo Wars and it's a pretty good solitaire game. I don't have a ton of wargaming experience; however, once I went through the playbook and started actually playing the game I was exposed to an elegant board game AI system that really seemed to work against me in a proper way. The Spanish are assholes and as the Navajo I tried to just stay alive; however, I had a Pueblo Revolt too early I think and it became difficult to come back from.

I had to clear the table for guests so I restarted a game on Vassal. The designer really did a good job putting the game on Vassal.

Yeah he did the COIN series Vassal modules too, which work really great for the most part

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

If you're looking for a fantasy war game, I would throw Mage Wars into the discussion. Yes it only uses cards that move around on a board, but really it has so much dice rolling, positioning and individually tracked stats that it really is like a mini game.

Instead of a deck like in say a game of Magic, all your cards are pooled into your 'tome' and you pick two spells your caster has prepared for a round. (There are ways to cast more.) There are monsters, artifacts, buildings, equipment, and all sorts of crazy spells. Every mage plays really differently as well with their own play style. I highly recommend it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Final board for Fire in the Lake:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1959464/fire-in-the-lake?size=original

Prototype for Comancheria, the follow-up to Navajo Wars

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2012815/navajo-wars?size=original

So hype for both of these.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Sounds like July/August is when it'll hit stores from what I've read.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Fire in the Lake rules and playbook are up. :)

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-450-fire-in-the-lake.aspx

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Could it be... a Roman Empire COIN game? :stare:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Riso posted:

Where have you seen this? gently caress Vietnam, I MUST HAVE IT.

GMTs Instagram account, they post a lot of stuff there they don't anywhere else

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Thinking about games and how great they could be if you just had enough players to play them is the best part of wargaming.

That and roleplaying game source books. So many campaigns, so few actually run :allears:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Getting to sabotage railroad lines? Yeah, that would be amazing

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Well, it's official, the next COIN P500 game is up... Gallic War :stare:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-503-gallic-war.aspx

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

attackmole posted:

gently caress y'all with stable wargaming groups, talking about playing every COIN and stuff. I bought Cuba Libre a year ago because I'm autistic and it looked cool and I wanted a CDG that played 4 and didn't take forever, but I still haven't figured out how to convince my casual boardgaming friends to play it with me.

I wish I had friends dedicated/interested enough in this poo poo to read the rules before hand. Would make my life waaaaaaaay easier. Teaching wargames is a serious pain in the rear end.

The only COIN games I've played are solitaire and a few games on VASSAL that never got finished (but were still fun) :ssh:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I'm free all day Sat until 7pm EST so if your gonna play FiTL in that time I'm down :)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

For 40k COIN I would do Imperium (government), Chaos (insurgents), Eldar ("warlord/cartel") and then maybe have the Space Marines be the sometimes ally/sometimes not faction to the Imperium. Rogue Traders could also be another really cool sometimes ally faction.

I think the special track for the game should be WARPSTORM. The Warpstorm should be something that can fluctuate, but the higher it goes the more hosed everything gets. Having it at max should be part of the Chaos win condition or something. The Imperium can drop Warpstorm with operations that will increase opposition and dropping terror markers on your own planets (Inquisition). Exterminatus also needs to be a special operation.

Guys... let's do it. Let's make this thing. :allears:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

tl;dr They're the best wargames released this decade, buy them if you can find them.

god drat, good job on this post :golfclap:

The COIN series is amazing and my only regret is they don't hit the table more often. More people should know about them and play them, awesome stuff