Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nice, glad we have this thread so I can repeatedly post about how cool Paths of Glory is and how much I want to get something like It never snows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I loving hate history, and having to deal with history spergs is probably the worst part about wargaming.
Also, 3000 exceptions to rules because of said history, and how the spergs would cry if it wasn't included.

Give me a wargame with elves and poo poo :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

chrisoya posted:

You can get Attack Vector: Tactical's rules in (paid) PDF these days. That's the classic hard-SF hard-:spergin: wargame.

I've always been interested in Attack Vector, but never took the plunge. Did I miss anything by skipping it? I'd hate to think I passed up a great though :spergin: game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Can anyone tell me more about GMTs Sekigahara? I see it finally got reprinted and I remember wanting a copy ages ago but forgetting why.

Diceless block game set in Japan. That would be enough for me. I'm not a huge fan of block games, but the fact there are no dice is enough to sway me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How are the Combat Commanders? I've seen them around, and they have big impressive boxes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

And what exactly does that accomplish? I hear it helps on wear, but I don't see how?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

Counter-clipping has both an esoteric and exoteric significance. Upon inquiry, many initiates will claim that counter-clipping "reduces wear" or "stops counters from snagging on one another in adjacent hexes". Some insist that corner fluff has anticancer properties, others that removing it prevents the accumulation of disease and removes the otherworldly handles by which ghosts or djinn monkey with the counters between sessions. The inner meaning of counter-clipping, however, is related to the experience of war. Orderly, together, in their natal frame, the counters are physically attached to one another. Here they are happy, beautiful, impotent. It is only when punched, then clipped, shorn of their umbilical corner fluff and thus all memories of the womb-frame, that they can descend into the madness of the battlefield and deal death. There are deeper levels of meaning, but they are inarticulable and available only to the high-level counter-clipper.

:stare:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I own Silent War, and it sits unplayed. You set up all the pieces, and then make very minor decisions and roll a d10 a shitton of times. Repeat a bunch more times, and your turn is over. If you roll well, the war continues, if you roll poorly, then you lose.

I haven't really played it though, so maybe at some point there are choices to be made? I dunno, I wasn't sticking around to find out.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

GMT Special. One order in the next week with up to 3 GMT games gets 50% off.

Unconditional Surrender, Dominant Species, Combat Commander, lots of good choices.

Jesus gently caress. I want to get in on that so hard, but I already spent my fun dollars on another project :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Any tips for learning Churchill solo?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

So what's the verdict on Churchill now that people have played it some? It looks like it would be a fun solo experience, plus something I could potentially introduce to my Euro gamer friends.

I played two solo turns, and I think it's amazing. I agree with the Mongoose that rolling dice sucks, but it's a wargame, so whatever.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Are there any good wargames for android?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wish the canadian dollar wasnt poo poo. I also wish shipping to canada wasnt retarded expensive. I want fields of fire :smith:

Edit: I want all of those minus space encounters (I already own it)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've been waiting almost exactly 2 months. Probably going to have to wait another sixteen years. :sigh:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The gently caress is up with clipping counters?

Also how terrible would Churchill be just randomly playing cards for all three sides and doing my best to make due for the incompetent leaders?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Regarding Churchill, very. I ran a test game using an alternate AI that I found on BGG (basically random), and it was awful. Not sure how the real flowcharts work, but they have to do better than that.

I've decided I hate flow charts. Take forever and have to look at three hands. Ugh. Ideally I'd like a solo game to take less time and not more.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Having friends would improve it :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Art?

Chit if I know.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I bought a $60 counter clipper. Look, I realize that it doesn't make any sense. None of it does. It's just something that has to be done.

I'd like a review with pics. Preferably action shots.

If I mail you a game will you clip all the counters and send the game back?

How many counters can you clip an hour? Do grognard gaming conventions have counter clipping contests?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Every review for those are war gamers. How long does it take to clip a game? Space Empires for example.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I just spent 60 bucks ordering a copy of fire in the lake

please tell me its good and im not retarded

The box is big and looks impressive on your shelf. Beside all the other games you don't play.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have no idea if the solo is any good.

I cant work out the game by myself. I can kinda understand what the actions do. But I can't figure out the why. Or what I'm trying to accomplish, and etc.. So following the flow charts is kinda hard, when I've just no idea.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Do the one they left from first. If poo poo hits the fan, nobody is left alive to assist the second engagement.

Edit: I have no experience with the game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How these clippers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G08PEXO/

Compared to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CG7D1S/

Thinking of taking the OCD route for wargames.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's wrong with me?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

There would be blood.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How do I explain it to my family?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

They dont ship to Canada so it's a no go. The same things go for about $170CDN on amazon.ca and I'm not doing that. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I also went to four or five IRL stores to find some trays for counters, and almost came up empty handed. I dunno what the gently caress, but some of my best options might have been at the dollar store. Only I would felt bad about throwing out all those screws and bolts and poo poo to use the trays they came in.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

rchandra posted:

I really wish amazon.ca was useful instead of just third-party scum selling things for 3x-10x normal.

Did you try oregon laminations' website? I thought they ship to Canada from there, at least a bunch of BGG folk have gotten them in the past.

Whelp. Looks like it might be happening again. 2.5mm, 3mm? 5mm(!)?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't think it's all that spendy. I went out and looked hard for counter trays. 3 hours (I misread my map. Took longer than expected.) All the good boxes have stuff in them. The dollar store had some decent ones, but I couldn't just throw out the screws and stuff. Same problem everywhere else too. All the good boxes are full of stuff.

I spent $20 on six modular ones that are sadly half the size they need to be. And they don't fit in the box. 4 of them do. But not all six. Space Empires if it matters.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think they'd fit in the boxes if I didn't have two complete sets of counters. I can't bring myself to get rid of the old counters.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My clippers shipped but they didn't charge me? We'll see how this goes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

War is hell. It doesn't end until you (the player) dies.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've got both on p500. Someday.

I am still majorly sad about the Up Front KS that was a scam. I wanted that so bad :(

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's better about pursuit?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Any advice for Dawn Patrol?

# of Players - 2 − 52

Get some friends. Take to the skies! In all seriousness, I haven't played Dawn Patrol in 15 or so years. Jealous.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Got my clippers today. They work great. A++ would sperg again. 30 counters down, I have no loving idea how many more. :smithicide:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That took forever. Only three more sets like that to go.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My 14 year old niece has started to help clip my counters... Even after 3 people (myself included) told her to find better uses of her time. the disease, it's spreading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Send it to me. Thanks!

Sweet table though. Great job. Just don't forget you've a game in there should you need to move it.