Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm sitting over here with a copy of ASL Starter 3, and a copy of #1 on order, curse your name ! <see you on Discord I guess, gotta play these things with somebody>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Against The Odds magazine just posted their Kickstarter for a second edition of the "Buffalo Wings" issue. This covers the aerial fighting between Finland and Russia, 1940-44, based on J.D. Webster's Fighting Wings system and matching up with the monster "Wings of the Motherland". It's a fascinating piece of air war, and a good introduction to the full sized Fighting Wings games. $40, 288 counters, one big map with terrain to fly over or bomb, 24-30 aircraft cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/407372518/buffalo-wings-2-the-deluxe-reprint

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

It's a ziplock.

The ToC looks like its horizontal combat only?

Oh, there's a vote going on in one of the updates on which four new planes to add.

It's not horizontal only, it's a fully fledged altitude system with energy management. The ground attack rules from the full Fighting Wings series have already been unlocked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dibs on a naval command !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Is 1979 early enough ?

https://www.quarterdeckinternational.com/store/radiation-dust-fall-of-the-soviet-union

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FMguru posted:

Question for the thread - I recently remembered how much I enjoyed playing 1977's Victory in the Pacific, and I was wondering if anyone had made a similar or better game that fills that space (WWII Pacific strategic level, area movement and control, complexity level lower than Empire of the Sun or Pacific War).

I can't name a title off the top of my head, but the WaS/VitP system has been elaborated on more than once.

Take a poke around this thread, https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/134575/top-10-strategic-wwii-pto-games

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ahhhhhh, after a long hiatus I'm an Against the Odds subscriber again. New issue turned up today, the Ichi-Go offensive in China 1944. I missed this feeling.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Compass is in Connecticut and GMT is California; GMT has been under more severe Covid-19 restrictions like losing their night shift to the new curfew. CT is cracking down harder ($500 fines going to $10,000) now, so Compass may see production slow soon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've got Compass' PT Boat game coming in a month or so, I'll be sure to report on that!

I also did a major Eastern Front splurge from Turning Point/ATO. Stalingrad:Verdun on the Volga, The Battle of Stalingrad, two issues of ATO I didn't have, and the 4 in 1 Barbarossa annual.

S:VotV is a nicely produced boxed game. Area movement, good looking counters, rules look to be a "medium".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

omg a new Fields of Fires and the crazy loving bastards are reprinting Vietnam 1965-1975

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I SAID, I LOVE YOU GMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was an easy P500 order for me.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-911-vietnam-1965-1975-gmt-edition.aspx

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Good to see a good game like that get a reprint.

Now let's have the Fleet series updated to 2020/2030 ships and new scenarios.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And the 2e Vietnam P500 has made the cut !

That has to be a record.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

My copy of GMT's Atlantic Chase arrived today !

Bad news: a page of errata attached to the sealed box.

Good news: the box is extra thick and appears to be completely full.

Good news: It is !

Rules, 64 pages.
Tutorial, 56 pages.
Advanced battle rules, 16 pages
Solitaire scenarios, 72 pages, 15 scenarios
Two player scenarios, 64 pages, 9 operational scenarios, 12 mini-scenarios, and a campaign game in 5 Operations from 1939 to 1942.

Every book is lavishly illustrated with color diagrams. The 10 tutorial scenarios are presented as extended Examples of Play.

Next up, 2 11x17 (folded) player aid charts, and advanced battle chart of the same size, force pool schedules for both sides (1 page ea), and a task force display card for each. Finally a double-side inset map to show the North Sea, and the Norwegian Sea.

Then we get 1.5 sheets of double side counters, a mounted folding map covering the North Atlantic and the Battle Boards. At the very bottom of the box we have some cardboard to make the above sit comfortably over 4d6 (2 red, 2 blue) and a bag full of wooden Station and Trajectory markers.

What are those markers you ask ? A task force can be either in a fixed location, a "Station[ary] force, on a route from once place to another - its trajectory. A force could be anywhere along its trajectory. Enemy force with try and intersect a Trajectory with Recon and Intel. Once a TF is localized, you can attack it.

Goddamn but there's a lot of stuff in this box.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Good news on the Atlantic Chase front ! There's an official Tabletop Simulator module for it. I just ran the first two tutorial modules, and it looks like a good module. Who wants a game, next Sunday maybe or an evening PDT ?

I've got a new mantra now,

Play passes. Graf Spee checks weather.
Graf Spee passes, do Time Lapse
Play passes, tanker checks weather
Tanker passes, do time lapse

The trajectory thing is starting to come together. Putting them down and picking them up again is definitely helping.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's still worth sending photos to their customer support, you might get a new map.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've got a good pile of stuff from Against The Odds I'm behind on reading through. The Vendee annual just dropped, and that looks pretty solid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So my bonus is in, and with it the latest additions to my collection.

From Hollandspiele, Our God Was Our Shield on Jackson's Valley Campaign. This is the first in a new series of operational-level ACW games. This one is lower complexity, low counter density, with leader counters on the map (face down for fog of war) and strength points tracked in secret off-map. Component quality and map art are good, looks like fun.

Same publisher, Charlemagne. A solo strategic game with a lot going on. Lots of chrome on the rules, very nice looking components. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

And then two P500 second editions from GMT, Pacific War and Vietnam.

Vietnam 2e is gorgeous, map and counters have both gotten a face lift. The rules are supposed to be much the same, but tweaked based on decades of actual play experience. This will be a treat to play, although I'm more likely to play it through VASSAL than with the new components.

Oh my god Pac War 2e is heavy. They upgraded to mounted maps, which means the box is completely full. It got an even nicer facelift than Vietnam did, this is now officially a pretty game. The rules got an overhaul as well. Bases are now one counter per hex, a land combat exploit has been removed, and some other things have been cleaned up. There are good notes on this.

The rules have also been completely reorganized. In the original, they were using phased instruction so we got the rules to play an Engagement scenario, then the rules for Battle, Campaign, and Strategic scenarios. This left the rules for the more complex scenarios scattered throughout the book. In the new edition there is a set o core rules, which is everything in sequence of play order and designed as a reference. There are separate rulebooks for Engagement and Battle scenarios to make playing those easier.

A final Quality of Life improvement is Map A - Extended. This is an unmounted, 11x17" map centered on Papua, the Solomons, and New Britain with the surrounding areas. This will let you play the cooler Battle and Campaign scenarios in a smaller space.

GMT did a great job on both second editions, with Pacific War 2e being a major upgrade well-deserving of getting time on the table. It's still a monster, but it's a much more playable monster now with the new, smaller map and reorganized rules.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the Mahabharata in comic book form and I feel like the huge battle at the end could make a really interesting war game. There's rules to the combat where infantry can only fight infantry, elephant can only fight elephant, but that rule gets broken sometimes, which could be represented by each player having a dharma track that diminishes when they don't follow the rules.

Or you could go for a more... modern source. In which case you'd need rules for special artillery and hero units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJnmXECfgI

It's on Netflix.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I checked the OP first, but what's the current favorite counter corner clipper these days ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Photocopy or scan the stickers and print on labels ?

I picked up Siege of Mantua from Hollandspielle earlier this year. They found a printer that could print directly on the wood blocks; they look great. It's an interesting system. It's the usual block-based fog of war with point-to-point movement. Combat is resolved on a tactical board with linear tactics. You draw the units for each battle out of a cup, as units gain experience you sub better units into your force pool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Monster games lovers rejoice!

I just got the announcement that there will be a new edition of Korsun Pocket. Four maps, 2400 counters, $300 ($75 off at pre-order). I have an unpunched 1e that I pull out to admire occasionally.

https://justplain.com/products/korsun-pocket-2

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

One important addition is that of an 11x17 map of just the Solomons and surrounding areas. That's what they're using in the photos. It's much more manageable than one of the big maps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of The War of 1812, I just received 1812!: War on the Great Lakes Frontier from Compass Games. It looks gorgeous, I'll have to dig into the rules and see how they look.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/340281/1812-war-great-lakes-frontier

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Why does Compass keep doing this poo poo? :psyduck:

Separating the MAGA crowd from their money is an honest grift.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm going to throw Ogre out there for a recommendation. It's got old-school hex and chit wargaming roots, including an odds ration combat results table. It also has miniatures available as add-ons.

https://warehouse23.com/collections/ogre/products/ogre-sixth-edition

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pre-orders for Jack Green's Jutland just went up at Compass Games. This will be his magnum opus for tactical naval games.

https://www.compassgames.com/product/jutland-fleet-admiral-pay-later/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jack Green is on a roll this year. The Chase of the Bismark came out in the Spring, and it's a huge, heavy box filled with gorgeous components.

https://vucasims.com/products/the-chase-of-the-bismarck-operation-rheinubung-1941

It looks like Jack is getting set to retire, the Quarterdeck Games store has some stuff from his library in it. Also this, which is a fun little solo game,

https://www.quarterdeckinternational.com/store/278th-squadron-the-same-4-cats

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know the designer, but ATO Magazine has put out some very good games over the years, including several by Prados and Bomba. They do a good job getting games into playable shape, and the design and component quality is very good.

Cessna posted:

I think I need this.

I'll play that with you, possibly by VASL

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Gotta say that P500 Coastwatchers looks pretty cool and different.

I'm in for that, looks like a neat design and it's great subject.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Novorossiysk is a perfectly cromulent campaign to game out. If anyone wants to VASSL Black Sea, Black Death or Compass' The Little Land, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I may be in the process of creating a new wargamer! One of my neighbors is a retired fellow, and we chat a lot. He's got some interest in military history, had a CO when he was in the Army do tourns around Petersburg, Chancellorsville and similar places when he was in the army, and generally a voracious interest in why things happened the way he did.

Well, he came by today and I showed him around a hex and counter game. He left to read rules and background for Across Five Aprils and a couple of Against The Odds magazine games on the ACW. We'll see if we get to roll some dice in... April.