Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Pierzak posted:

Huh, nothing like seeing random pics of my RL friends playing obscure games on BGG. I'll have to play that one.

Also, recommend some good SF wargames? gently caress the past, the future is where it's at :colbert: Bonus points for drones and hive races.

VVV: Space Empires 4X is about the only one I know.

There's Steve Jackson Presents: A Steve Jackson game by Steven Jackson: Ogre by Steve Jackson Games.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy of the Kickstarter edition sometime this decade.

It's a fast playing game that's a bit deeper tactically that it might appear at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Got my copy of Ogre yesterday. Feels like I bought something people are still going to be laughing about decades from now.

Man I want to run a mega game of this with a dozen ogres running around trampling helpless tanks.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Is there an active group for doing Vassal gaming? I'm interested in playing some OGRE/GEV, No Retreat!, etc...

Also I'm screwing around with Multiplayer OGRE scenario's

4 Player Ogre, Balance might need some work or I might need to be a better player...

Game ended with 4 Weaponless ogres ramming each other over and over.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Does anybody out there know a good program for making hex maps? At this point I'm screenshoting google maps in a grid pattern around areas I like so that maybe (if I can figure out how) I can splice them together and overlay a hex grid on them.

Some Test Counters (mostly made by hacking up existing stuff)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Hexographer is what I've heard, but I haven't messed with it too much.

Its a neat program but at least with the free version it doesn't seem like the included tile-sets are going to work with ogre, or at least not fit in with the scale.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Let's arrange a game folks. Also, upcoming posts and thought about OCS and Reluctant Enemies.

I would also be interested in participating if its not a big deal if I've never played it or even a similar game before...

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Numlock, are you up for a simple testing session in the next couple of days so that you can try out the ruleset?

Sure, Generally around 7pm CST or maybe earlier. Anyday this week. I'll make a point to give the ruleset a once over tonight.

Is there some way of getting in contact with you guys other than this thread?

Do you use a TS/mumble server for these things? If not I think it would be a good idea.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Despite not doing anything for most of the game (playing soviets) it was very informative to sit and watch. It's really the best way for me to learn the rules.

Looking forward to the East Front.

Tekopo posted:

We played our first session of Vassal Unconditional Surrender. So far, Poland got invaded in a turn, then Germany attacked Hungary, got Yugoslavia on its side, while Italy joined the Allies and Turkey the axis (WWI redux, pretty much). Germany has just invaded France (the invasions of Norway/Denmark didn't happen) and fighting is happening in the Alps, within norther France (where the germans are in the gates of Paris) and within Syria as the combined French and UK colonial troops fight the Turks.

I think we have just been very bad at figuring out the right strategies to use in the diplomacy phase. Also I've been unlucky.

WWI: PART 2: REVENGE OF THE KAISER

The end of today's play, anything not shaded is still neutral.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Unconditional Surrender Session 2 Report:

Short session as Tekopo couldn't join, so I took command of the ever-victorious armies of the French Republic in his stead.

France Falls.

Greece joins on the Axis side, and the Soviets finish up digesting the Baltic States.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

So are we ever going to finish USE?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Any body play Harpoon?

I saw a thread about it on another forum and it looks awesome, though very uh complex.

I was wondering if there was any real difference between the editions, are they just updates as technology changed?

Edit: I mean like, Do I really need two teams of 10 people if I want to complete a game in a reasonable amount of time (say 4-6 hours).

Numlock fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

So a while back I wanted to do a lets play of Ogre but after working on some custom scenarios (with maps) and units to make things a bit more interesting I realized that I was basically just rewriting Ogre to a more generic Sci-Fi war game (both in terms of setting and rules, and to make it more interesting for groups of players) and I ended up abandoning the project as it really wouldn't have been Ogre and it was going to require a ton of more work. I recently came across the material I prepared for it and it got me thinking...

So I was wondering if anything already along those lines already existed, IE: a Modern to Sci-fi war-game at about the same scale as Ogre preferably with a vassal module already in existence.