Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tekopo posted:

Guns of Gettsysburg Part II

Okay, you are REALLY making me want this game....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Guns of Gettysburg

Next Update: The Confederate attack!

Looking forward to this. These are really informative AARs.

I'm a computer grog gamer, but I've never really dallied in the world of board games. This thread has gotten me really interested in the idea and GoG in particular.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sounds like a great idea, Goon on goon battles are always great fun. Its always a great way to showcase a game and introduce it to new players.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I finally found somewhere that claims to stock Guns of Gettysburg, so I've put my order in for my first wargame. Well, first boardgame wargame, as you may know I play groggy computer games all the time, and I'm getting back into Miniature war-games.

Next step convince someone to play me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Guns of Gettysburg is a good game but like all Simmons games, it can be kind of difficult to get your head around at first (especially when it comes to multi-hour turns). Just be forewarned that you won't be be fighting THE battle of Gettysburg, but A battle of Gettysburg.

Yeah, I've done my homework (and read your reports from early in the thread.) and I think I know what I'm getting myself into.

And I prefer games that are more historical settings than actual history - there are only so many ways you can re-fight a historical battle when you know when the reinforcements are coming.

In truth, you can never refight a historical battle. You know when this or that division is coming, while the historical general doesn't - you know where they went wrong, so really your playing towards an end. GoG's random reinforcements bring that uncertainty back, which is why I'm looking forward to playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have finally had a proper game of Guns of Gettysburg

Well, I say a proper game, we only had two hours, so didn't quite get to the end of day one, but a Confederate (me) flanking attack had just taken an objective and was threatening another, while the Union had just smashed my other flank.

We decided that it was another Chancellorsville. A battle that Lee won at heavy cost, adding to his mystique but not really doing anything to alter the course of the war. There were still three Corps of Union troops not on the field, so the battle for Washington was still on, while the Confederate I Corps was smashed after heavy fighting.

We can't wait to play again! This time we will both read the manual and have a better idea.

BTW, supplying a game with two manuals is something more wargames should do!