Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can anyone tell me more about GMTs Sekigahara? I see it finally got reprinted and I remember wanting a copy ages ago but forgetting why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Of the COIN games is Andean Abyss or Cube Libre more accessible? Or is it much the same?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Even the counters in their mocked up version of the game have clipped corners. Coming from board gaming i didn't even know this was a thing till this thread. I need to get on this level.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Has anyone been following the prerelease stuff for Fire in the Lake? Would it be a dumb choice as my first COIN game?

Edit: looks like Cuba Libre is the easiest to pickup but I'm and idiot and waited till everything is OOP before finally getting into COIN.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 4, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I only just read about the short scenario and the points you mentioned are pushing me over the edge. Preorder price for Cuba Libre is good but who knows when that reprint will ship.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Are there any decent wargaming blogs or websites for beginners? Like something not so groggy for those segueing from board gaming?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

A mate and I are playing our first game of Napoleon's Triumph tonight. Last minute tips?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I did some stupid poo poo to see how combat worked. Leading my defence with artillery was a high point. Have to do some more reading about how to more effectively use troops. You probe with cavalry to tie up some units on one flank then hit the other one with a corp right? We messed up that corp moves via road have to stop if you end up adjacent to an enemy (unless you are all cav) so there were some crazy big moves into combat. Whoops. Fun was had and now keen to give it another go.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Jumped on the Fire in the Lake P500 for a low price just before they shipped it. Ordered 4/8, shipped 27/8. We shall see how long it takes to surface in Australia. Guess I'm the bad guy, sorry everyone.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Feel really bad about P500ing FitL now because it looks like it cost GMT $64 to ship it to Australia via UPS. I paid $74 for it. Might wait till it hits my FLGS next time.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

You think that's bad; I ordered Sword of Rome because it was on sale, paid $64.

FYI Milsims stock GMT games and they are often much cheaper than GMT once you factor shipping unless it is a P500 game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

The Washington Post has also done an article on Ruhnke and his designs here.

This was an excellent read. Thank you for posting it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Swags posted:

So here's an odd request. I saw that there's a Hell Dorado figure called Ashoka from the Lost Faction. He's a badass looking gatorman.

I'm wondering if anyone actually had this guy, or has it in person and can give me details about the relative size of him? I was wanting to put him with some of my Hordes Gatormen, but I don't know if Ashoka is super tiny, or too big, or what. The Hell Dorado website has pretty much nothing as far as information.

This thread isn't really miniature based wargaming, probably better off asking this one here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Can someone link me to that YouTube video of some old guy at a gaming convention talking about dice? Pretty sure I first saw it in this thread.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Not quite. It was similar, some old beardy guy who makes dice explaining why his ones were better than the cheap chessex ones with rounded edges and he had some whacky shaped Dsomething dice that he had invented with some university doctor or something. Thanks though.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I'm on a bit of a Roman binge. Does anyone have an opinion on Pax Romana? I'm kind of after something that plays more that 2. Maybe I should just wait for the COIN game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Empire of the Sun is back in stock briefly. Also has anyone played GMTs Genesis?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Are there any more EotS custom dice floating around? I crumbled to peer pressure and picked it up.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

All good. Just checking.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Cuba Libre is about to be back in stock within the month. Unless you already have it of course.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Popete posted:

Any other recommendations for preferably single player age of sail games?

Quoting this because I too want to know, and they don't have to be solo.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Posted an AAR of napoleon's triumph on bgg, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552266/repulsing-allies-while-baby-asleep

Main thoughts: so this was this guy's second game, I taught him a couple months back. He was definitely way better this time, but still *definitely* could not properly break through a line.

How does one help, hmm, teach how to maneuver in NT so as to let them actually finish attacks? Other than playing allies myself, I suppose, which I'll suggest again but he might be stubborn and want to play allies till he wins. :v:

Thanks for this. I own NT and have gotten it to the table once and had no freaking idea what I was doing.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Ah poo poo. I have the last edition of Hannibal and that new one looks so much better.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Just a reminder that some Polish company is going to Kickstarter a new edition of Hannibal in the next couple of months.

http://www.phalanxgames.pl/en/2016/03/04/hannibal-rome-vs-carthage/

https://www.facebook.com/HannibalGame/

I have the Valley Games edition and it's fine. The jigsaw board is a little lame though.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 9, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

Also I just grabbed AH's Republic of Rome for $12 at a bookstore. Good deal?

I paid 90 dollars for my copy you jerk. Time to organise a toga night.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

That Falling Sky prequel expansion though.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Speaking of Empire of the Sun, has anyone checked out Plan Orange? From what I hear it's a good intro to EotS proper. Looked at buying C3i magazine but postage is killer to Australia from Amazon.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Sword of Rome, a card driven asymmetrical precursor to the COIN series, also has neutral races that can be controlled by any player with the correct card.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

That impulse buying a game which you think is interesting, may be out of print soon, but deep down in your heart you know you will probably never play it. Did I really need a 4th COIN game? Of course I did.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Well no one knows because it's not out yet. InsideGMT has a few design articles talking about adapting COIN for two players. Looks promising I guess.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Sure except for the 48 new strategy cards.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Ah so it's probably just a cut down deck. Oh well.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Are any of the Combat Commander expansions complete stinkers? I realise you need Europe to play most of them. Thinking about dipping my toe in..

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

All this table talk and not a single photo. For shame.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I feel really bad that I have only played my copy of NT once. Need to get it out again and try to let the strategy click.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Seems pretty split between 2.5 and 2mm from what I read. 2mm might be a little small for games with large chits. I can't believe I am even considering importing one.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The new solo rules for A Distant Plain from Ci3 magazine have been posted.

https://twitter.com/RBMStudio1/status/816082032241430529

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Depends on what you mean by Wargame. The COIN games are pretty well recommended but it's blocks on map not WWII hexes. Sword of Rome plays up to 5 but is pretty lengthy. Hear good things about Maria but haven't played it. Also want to know if Triumph and Tragedy is any good. And there is another full world multiplayer WWII game being designed whose name escapes me.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Cataclysm was the 5 player grand strategy WWII game I couldn't remember. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-519-cataclysm.aspx