Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Cleaned out my dads closet and found some 3M bookshelf games, Feudal in particular. Played with a friend, got interested in the whole genre, went to boardgamegeek.
Now, I have Hearts of Iron 3, but it seems inpenetrably complicated, and I want something to ease me in. Would buying a classic like Tactics 2 be a good bet for a beginner? It looks like the most "traditional" wargame possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich

Found this at a Half-Price Books for $20, looks like everything's there.
Never done a wargame before, but I might eventually convince a few friends to come over and sperg out with me; is this a good one to start with? Looks like it won a bunch of awards or whatever.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Can anyone recommend me 3 games from that sale that have good single-player?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I picked up Afrika Korps at a Half-Price Books and sat down to learn it tonight. I was always intimidated by hex-and-counter wargames, they looked ridiculously complicated, with a bunch of numbers on squares and me thinking "Ok there's gonna be a shitload of tables and countercharts etc"; coming from RTS games on PC.
Turns out it's just an attack number, defense number, movement number, and viola, hex-and-counter boardgames are Advance Wars: Unplugged.
This one's a 2 on the AH scale and took me maybe 15 minutes of reading and sorting pieces and I was in. I'm thinking of buying 1776 or Gettysburg, something a little more complex, but single-player. Any suggestions for, like, the "core" experience? Like "the game everyone has played" or whatever?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I guess MP games that can be played SP is better, I have 1 or 2 friends I might be able to convince to pay at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Just found Rise and Decline of the Third Reich at a used bookstore! It's my first real wargame; I've played some Afrika Korps before but that's it. I'm thinking of learning how to play by starting a thread about it in Lets Play, maybe asking the thread to "be" the other player. Is that a thing, has that been done?